Forza Motorsport 7: General Pre-Release Discussion

• Thread starter PJTierney
  • 1,837 comments
It's rumoured that Toyota don't want their road cars to be modified in video games. This rumour makes sense as Forza and NFS are both modification heavy games, and Toyotas are seen in PCars and Assetto Corsa, which modifications are not available.
Thanks. I wonder what their issue is with their cars being modified. After all plenty of people modify them in the real world.

It's rumoured that Toyota don't want their road cars to be modified in video games. This rumour makes sense as Forza and NFS are both modification heavy games, and Toyotas are seen in PCars and Assetto Corsa, which modifications are not available.

This does make a little bit of sense, but then GT Sport has aftermarket rim options, and the GT86 will be in that. I also think if Toyota were super against modification, they wouldn't let a Rocket Bunny GT86 in PCARS 2 either. But it's in the game.

It's just odd really. Now with NFS Payback not having Toyota, this definitely confirms this is a Toyota issue, not a Turn 10 licensing team issue like some thought.

The GT86 seems to be the only production car that all games share in common, right now. I wonder if that just happens to be the only exception. I can imagine that T10 just went for the race cars instead since the BRZ is the exact same thing.

If anything that's perhaps an early faint hint at a RallyX expansion for FM7 eventually?

lowerexpectationsamypoeler.gif

Well, I pre-ordered the ultimate edition and haven't gotten a dlc code for the hoonigan car pack. I'm guessing that the deal doesn't apply to stores, but only from Xbox live.

Well, I pre-ordered the ultimate edition and haven't gotten a dlc code for the hoonigan car pack. I'm guessing that the deal doesn't apply to stores, but only from Xbox live.
I preordered on the PC (Windows Store) and the Horizon 3 Hoonigan car pack switched from paid to free for me, so I was able to immediately download it.

But yes, I believe the deal was for the digital version only. Shop preorders get other perks.

I preordered on the PC (Windows Store) and the Horizon 3 Hoonigan car pack switched from paid to free for me, so I was able to immediately download it.

But yes, I believe the deal was for the digital version only. Shop preorders get other perks.
Same here, after placing my order the Hoonigan cars were free for me to download in Horizon 3. If you're waiting for a code for Forza 7 then you might not get one, it's porbably the case that they will just be activated as free once you install Forza 7 in the same way no code was required for me and @skazz to download them in Horizon 3.

Or if you've pre-ordered the physical copy not digital one, that could be another reason you don't have them.

I love Forza. I was hooked since FM2. Bought every one after that on day one, including the Limited Editions when available. The game holds a special place in my heart for my love of racing games and making me force myself to get faster and get out of my comfort zone (using driving aids) thanks to the leaderboards. Still need to work on my consistency though :lol:.

That being said. This will be the first Forza I'm not pre-ordering. Or buying on day one. For how little new content their is, I can't justify the purchase. Honestly, this game feels like a GT6 in the way that the game was more of GT5.5 than an actual sequel. This is Forza 6.5. It brings back fan favorites, but brings little to the table compared to FM6. Yeah, dynamic weather is great and all, but other games have had that for a few years now. The marketing for the game has been pretty poor too... I might pass on this one until there's a sale or something.

Maybe my mind will change once the game has been released and the full car list has been unveiled and some DLC has dropped. I feel like this is more of a greatest hits more than anything else...

I wasn't around for Forza Motorsport 5's pre-release discussions (I didn't have an Xbox One at the time and bought a PS3 for Gran Turismo 6 instead) but I don't think I've ever seen less excitement for a Forza title.
  • Forza Motorsport 6 had a lot of hype as it was righting the wrongs of Forza Motorsport 5 and riding the success wave of Forza Horizon 2.
  • Forza Horizon 3 had a lot of hype because it made an amazing first impression and Australia looked like a great place to explore.
Objectively looking at Forza Motorsport 7 there are a lot of good things to say about it. Plenty of cars, plenty of tracks, will look stunning if you have the right equipment. It should tick all the right boxes for people.

Dig deeper however and cracks start to show, especially if you're a Forza veteran or one that has at least played the most recent Motorsport and Horizon games:
  • Very few 100% new tracks (remasters and weather are great but looking at a list Maple Valley = Maple Valley).
  • Very few new car models, particularly race cars.
  • The loss of a car brand popular with the tuning and drifting community, of which the Horizon series' success has guaranteed takes up a larger portion of the player base.
  • The lack of motorsport-specific quality of life improvements for racing enthusiasts such as Qualifying, penalties for crashing etc.
  • Lack of information about popular features such as livery editing, content sharing, clubs, drag racing, drifting etc.

Forza is my favourite gaming franchise so I should be the most excited about a new title, but I know so little about the features I personally care about (clean public Multiplayer racing and robust content creation/sharing tools) that I can't help but feel underwhelmed. I don't really care for expansive car and track lists as I know that the content that is in a Forza game is usually of a high standard, but I am struggling to find a reason for why I should jump into Forza Motorsport 7 at the moment. That's not a good sign in a year where the latest F1 title is a dream to play and Gran Turismo has the potential to provide one of the cleanest online racing experiences seen on a console.

Forza Motorsport 5 is going to be free for Gold members next month, and I wouldn't be surprised if some people who play that for the first time ask themselves "why should I pay £50 for Forza Motorsport 7 when the free game I am playing right now has 80% of the same content?".

Last edited:
I wasn't around for Forza Motorsport 5's pre-release discussions (I didn't have an Xbox One at the time and bought a PS3 for Gran Turismo 6 instead) but I don't think I've ever seen less excitement for a Forza title.
  • Forza Motorsport 6 had a lot of hype as it was righting the wrongs of Forza Motorsport 5 and riding the success wave of Forza Horizon 2.
  • Forza Horizon 3 had a lot of hype because it made an amazing first impression and Australia looked like a great place to explore.
Objectively looking at Forza Motorsport 7 there are a lot of good things to say about it. Plenty of cars, plenty of tracks, will look stunning if you have the right equipment. It should tick all the right boxes for people.

Dig deeper however and cracks start to show, especially if you're a Forza veteran or one that has at least played the most recent Motorsport and Horizon games:
  • Very few 100% new tracks (remasters and weather are great but looking at a list Maple Valley = Maple Valley).
  • Very few new car models, particularly race cars.
  • The loss of a car brand popular with the tuning and drifting community, of which the Horizon series' success has guaranteed takes up a larger portion of the player base.
  • The lack of motorsport-specific quality of life improvements for racing enthusiasts such as Qualifying, penalties for crashing etc.
  • Lack of information about popular features such as livery editing, content sharing, clubs, drag racing, drifting etc.

Forza is my favourite gaming franchise so I should be the most excited about a new title, but I know so little about the features I personally care about (clean public Multiplayer racing and robust content creation/sharing tools) that I can't help but feel underwhelmed. I don't really care for expansive car and track lists as I know that the content that is in a Forza game is usually of a high standard, but I am struggling to find a reason for why I should jump into Forza Motorsport 7 at the moment. That's not a good sign in a year where the latest F1 title is a dream to play and Gran Turismo has the potential to provide one of the cleanest online racing experiences seen on a console.

Forza Motorsport 5 is going to be free for Gold members next month, and I wouldn't be surprised if some people who play that for the first time ask themselves "why should I pay £50 for Forza Motorsport 7 when the free game I am playing right now has 80% of the same content?".
Forza 5 doesn't have 50% of the content.

Secondly, a remark about "if you have the equipment".
You're correct.
You needed a 1080p tv to enjoy 1080p in every single 1080p game ever made.
For 4k games, you need a 4k tv.

I won't bore you with the details about how the jump from 240i to 480i and 480p went, but let's just say it wasn't different.

Will any of the games you consider, or compare Forza to, be able to play content at 4k on a 1080p screen?
So what's the gripe? Why do people keep bringing this up? "Oh FM7 needs a 4k tv with hdr".

You know how many times I see that on the GT board?
"Oh GTSport makes you need a 4k tv and hdr"
I didn't, actually. (But I'm sure you can find a few, maybe)

So is it simply Forza's "fault" for advancing to 4k?
Or is it because GTS isn't really 4k, so nobody feels a "need" to buy a new tv?

I get the complaints of recycled material, I really do.(hello GT5 and 6)
I get the lack of info.(have you met PD?)
I get the lack of updates and features you wanted.(I said GT)

What I don't get is why it seems like a somewhat sizeable portion or people sound disgruntled by the addition of 4k.
As though because they're not buying it, or don't have it/want it, it somehow doesn't matter. Somehow it doesn't count, because they don't have a 4k tv.

Having potentially the best graphics of a console racing game in history, "oh but only if you have 4k".

No **** sherlock. You need 480 for 480, 1080 for 1080, and guess what?
4k for 4k.

Life in 2017 is so hard. :)

We might get the code on our receipt when we get the game physically like for the special pre order cars.

I'm still playing a bit FM5 lately just to get into loyalty tier 10 (sooo close now :P) and it could actually have a very sour taste for people new to the franchise. It looks stunning (why are FM5 car visuals better than FM6?) but the driving experience is rather poor with cars having an unrealistically low amount of grip (even with assists on), the sticky grass ruining any kind of immersion, the difficulty level being abnormally difficult (even on new racer) and the post-race wait-click-wait-click-wait-click popup race results are damn right annoying.

I expect that people who come from arcade games (NFS, The Crew, FH) and who never played a FM title before will be turned off by it if they are mainly looking for a similar experience. And people who come more from serious racing games will be turned off by the grip and handling.

FM5 seriously has some weird car grip/handling behavior. In FM6 it was improved (still far from perfect), let's hope in FM7 it improves more. Judging from the things I've seen from the E3 and Gamescom gameplay videos where people bump into other cars or in the wall, the car seems to be more stable or have more "weight" so it does look promising in this aspect.

Forza 5 doesn't have 50% of the content.

Secondly, a remark about "if you have the equipment".
You're correct.
You needed a 1080p tv to enjoy 1080p in every single 1080p game ever made.
For 4k games, you need a 4k tv.

I won't bore you with the details about how the jump from 240i to 480i and 480p went, but let's just say it wasn't different.

Will any of the games you consider, or compare Forza to, be able to play content at 4k on a 1080p screen?
So what's the gripe? Why do people keep bringing this up? "Oh FM7 needs a 4k tv with hdr".

You know how many times I see that on the GT board?
"Oh GTSport makes you need a 4k tv and hdr"
I didn't, actually. (But I'm sure you can find a few, maybe)

So is it simply Forza's "fault" for advancing to 4k?
Or is it because GTS isn't really 4k, so nobody feels a "need" to buy a new tv?

I get the complaints of recycled material, I really do.(hello GT5 and 6)
I get the lack of info.(have you met PD?)
I get the lack of updates and features you wanted.(I said GT)

What I don't get is why it seems like a somewhat sizeable portion or people sound disgruntled by the addition of 4k.
As though because they're not buying it, or don't have it/want it, it somehow doesn't matter. Somehow it doesn't count, because they don't have a 4k tv.

Having potentially the best graphics of a console racing game in history, "oh but only if you have 4k".

No **** sherlock. You need 480 for 480, 1080 for 1080, and guess what?
4k for 4k.

Life in 2017 is so hard. :)
Calm down dude. @PJTierney wrote a perfectly reasonable post about how he is feeling about FM7 pre-release. Not sure it warranted such a reply particularly when he has been FM7's biggest advocate and info provider running up to release.

This does make a little bit of sense, but then GT Sport has aftermarket rim options, and the GT86 will be in that. I also think if Toyota were super against modification, they wouldn't let a Rocket Bunny GT86 in PCARS 2 either. But it's in the game.
What in my opinion makes more sense is the point of time they reached out for licences. Toyota's decision appears to be one made within the past few months. In Forza's and Need For Speed's case, they probably reached out for licences quite recently (because the games have a short 'life span' [for the lack of a better term]), whereas with GTS, pC2 and AC, it all happened a bit further in the past, at a point where Toyota felt different about their cars being included in games.

It's all very odd. Especially when you remember that just a few months ago, Akio Toyoda mentioned that the general public should no longer think their cars are boring ... 💡

So, first it was Porsche which was locked away for years behind exclusive contract with EA.
Now it's Toyota...

What is it with these car companies? It's not like their cars are used to kill pixel people like in GTA. We are talking about pure racing and car collecting games. What better plattform can you get for showing your car and getting in the head of young people?

Question about the menu, does anyone know if the car in the menu will change according to your current car in use, or will it always show the Porsche?

And do we know if we can change colors used in the racing suits?

Question about the menu, does anyone know if the car in the menu will change according to your current car in use, or will it always show the Porsche?

And do we know if we can change colors used in the racing suits?
Your current car will be shown.

The suits are presets and can't be customised. If you want a different colour you need to pick a different suit.

I'd assume it would show the car you are driving just like FH3, FM6, FH2, and FM5.

How does something like that sneak past all the layers of QA, marketing people, etc.? :odd:
It's even stranger as that would need to be a vector asset as it has to follow Mobil 1's brand guidelines.

So what has happened is that somebody has re-made the Mobil 1 logo from scratch, got it wrong, applied it to the car in multiple places and then it goes through internal approval, internal QA, approval from the racing team and then approval from Holden..

After that when the screenshot is produced that needs approval by Microsoft.

Basically, everybody missed it (or it's intentional :indiff:).

I know @JONK1969 doesn't post here but I figured I'll tag him so that somebody at Turn 10 is aware and can pass it on. Should be a relatively quick fix. I'm sure @ManteoMax can pass on the word too.

Pre-ordered this the other day, the Gold version, because I am a sucker for Forza games. For reasons that may be obvious, I am very excited about this game (Porsche!) and I am really looking forward to revisiting old tracks missing from FM6 too, like Suzuka and Maple.

Back