Forza Motorsport General Discussion Thread

• Thread starter Terronium-12
  • 14,440 comments
I think some of this has to do with the tires they fit on the cars when you buy them. My C8 Z06 was sliding around like I was driving on ice last night until I put some decent rubber on it.
Maybe that's what I need to do with the Ferrari Roma because that's exactly how it feels. I'm losing so much time in the corners but I can catch multiple cars on the straights.

Cars in real life have understeer.

Understeer isn't just something Forza made up and then leaked into reality.
They do, yes, but there is something fundamentally off with Forza and it's been this way for a good while now. Earlier Motorsport games were oversteer prone and now (as of...5? I can't recall) it's gone in the opposite direction.

There is no reason for a Ferrari 641 to understeer as much as it does; there's even less of a reason for me to not have confidence in pushing the car for fear it's just going to push outward and in to the kitty litter unless I lift off.

Some of it does have to do with controller deadzones, but that doesn't entirely remove the issue as it's inherent to the physics model. I'll reiterate a previous gripe of mine: why does the Porsche 919 drive like that!? Try going through Eau Rouge flat out as you should be able to with ease: the rear will just...inexplicably lose grip and you'll spin like a top.

Again, the improvements made to the tire model are undeniable and it feels great when cars respond/react the way you'd expect them to, but it feels like some of the very same issues persist.

Does anybody know if there are events such as the ones from FM4 that only let you enter certain drivetrain types and engine types into the event? There were also other unique events back then and it gave a little more variety.

Does anybody know if there are events such as the ones from FM4 that only let you enter certain drivetrain types and engine types into the event? There were also other unique events back then and it gave a little more variety.
Nope, these aren't in the game just yet.

You can try to set races up like this in Freeplay, however my experience was that when I started messing with those settings I broke it and ended up with an entire field of the stock version of the car I was driving.

🫣Some how I just became aware that the "new" tours which will come are not additional but replace the existing ... (open Tour and Track Tour 😳🤪)

This is something I understand in MP, but in Singerplayer this makes little sin for me... why not leave the old tours forever. Put them in an archive from me.

This focus on limited content is what I really hate about Forza. It's just as crappy as the cars that are only available in Forzaton in Horizon.

Wait wut? Seriously? There are no new permanent events? Those are time gated?

Last edited:
They do, yes, but there is something fundamentally off with Forza and it's been this way for a good while now. Earlier Motorsport games were oversteer prone and now (as of...5? I can't recall) it's gone in the opposite direction.

There is no reason for a Ferrari 641 to understeer as much as it does; there's even less of a reason for me to not have confidence in pushing the car for fear it's just going to push outward and in to the kitty litter unless I lift off.

Some of it does have to do with controller deadzones, but that doesn't entirely remove the issue as it's inherent to the physics model. I'll reiterate a previous gripe of mine: why does the Porsche 919 drive like that!? Try going through Eau Rouge flat out as you should be able to with ease: the rear will just...inexplicably lose grip and you'll spin like a top.

Again, the improvements made to the tire model are undeniable and it feels great when cars respond/react the way you'd expect them to, but it feels like some of the very same issues persist.
I can think of several reasons for the severe understeer.
1. it seems that the controller control is not really affected... maybe the controller control needs this understeer?

2. it could have to do with the speed feeling. It could be too small... it doesn't feel as fast as it is and so you're always too fast in the corners.

3. it might be due to a new item in the vehicle tuning menu:
Suspension geometry
And this might not fit the steering wheel control so well in the default.

A Class Featured Multiplayer - interesting car choice.

20231013_184556.jpg

Community Update

An update to our Forza Motorsport community.

Hi everyone. It’s been a week since Forza Motorsport entered Early Access and, in that time, we’ve been reading your feedback and listening to your concerns. Forza Motorsport has been designed to be a racing platform that will change and adapt over time. This includes tweaks to the gameplay systems, features and quality of life improvements, as well as new content that will be introduced every month.

Ever since players got their hands on Forza Motorsport, the team has continued developing new fixes and is committed to ongoing improvements, some of which will be released as early as next week. Stay tuned for the details and full release notes on our Forza Support website and Forza Motorsport channels.

While this first update focuses on quality of life and stability issues, we look forward to continuing to listen to, and evaluate, our players' feedback in future updates.

Thanks to all our players for being part of the Forza Motorsport community and for your continued support and patience. We will keep you updated on when those changes start to roll out.

We’re excited to shape the future of Forza Motorsport together. Share your input and tell us about your experiences with the game on the official Forza Suggestions Hub.

Community Update
Pretty standard issue launch announcement there. Fix the showstopper bugs and finish the not-quite finished stuff that the early adopters have brought attention to first, while the people responsible for making more content are working on... well, more content.

I can think of several reasons for the severe understeer.
1. it seems that the controller control is not really affected... maybe the controller control needs this understeer?

2. it could have to do with the speed feeling. It could be too small... it doesn't feel as fast as it is and so you're always too fast in the corners.

3. it might be due to a new item in the vehicle tuning menu:
Suspension geometry
And this might not fit the steering wheel control so well in the default.
1. When you say controller control, what exactly do you mean?

2. You mean speed sensitivity/linearity? Linearity was a setting in FH5 that's all but disappeared now, so you could very well be onto something there.

3. That's also interesting and is something I'll toy around with.

I believe it started just after 5, or it was just actually starting with 5? I remember some cars having massive issues with lift off oversteer, way more than they should have.

Last edited:
I believe it started just after 5, or it was just actually starting with 5? I remember some cars having massive issues with lift off oversteer, way more than they should have.
Race cars were a tad on the unstable side in earlier games. They're much better now. For the most part.

I can smash my Megane R26 into a corner at decent speeds and not understeer anywhere near as much as this game seems to think all FWD's do - at relatively low speeds too.
Similar situation here. While I haven't tried FM23 yet, but my Abarth irl doesn't exhibit as much understeer as Forza has put on. It actually sucks away the fun from most of the FWD vehicles in Forza.

Last edited:
1. When you say controller control, what exactly do you mean?

2. You mean speed sensitivity/linearity? Linearity was a setting in FH5 that's all but disappeared now, so you could very well be onto something there.

3. That's also interesting and is something I'll toy around with.
1. controller control means playing with gamepad. All those with gamepad obviously have no problem with understeer (at least if you read the posts here).

So it could be that this understeer is needed by the game so that playing with the pad works better. (Is just an idea from me, no fact)

2. no, I mean the optical perception of the speed.

Example: the car in the game drives me 120km/h, if I do not look at the speedometer and rely only on the feeling (optics, sound etc..) I have the feeling that the car drives only 90km/h. This makes me brake too late, or go with too much speed into the curve ... which results in understeer.

Possibly it goes to others also so 🤷‍♂️

In the situations where I've actually bothered to look at the tunes, most cars seem to be set up for understeer (high psi front tires, stiff front arb, etc). But I honestly don't even think it's that hard to manage, so the people having issues might need to adjust the way they drive them. You might be going faster than you think, or you might need to trail brake and be more careful of when you get on throttle. For the most part, most cars I've tried will understeer on throttle (default tune), so you want to wait till you're almost straight to really apply it. You have to be very careful before then since even small inputs can throw you way off line. Trail braking and downshifting at the right times can help get you turned in before that. If you can adjust suspension geometry, even changing nothing else, setting just the rear to +0.4 is a drastic change.

Last edited:
Reckon its taken me around 12 hours to get a feel for this game. Starting to enjoy it now. I still haven’t got my TX wheel ffb close to Acc type feeling but maybe iam chasing something that is unattainable? Main gripe for me are the amount of twisty undulating tracks that aren’t fun to drive. Hopefully with more tracks coming that will improve. Suzuka at night in a thunderstorm ragging a Supra around was pretty intense and fun. Trying to prioritise the events and online stuff so i don’t complete the career soon. I need something to do over xmas.

Last edited:
Maybe the understeer is slightly "exaggerated" in order to feel good though the Xbox Controller?

I've been playing 100% with the Xbox Controller, and I definitely get a lot more understeer than FH5 (logical because Horizon's main "cheat" is excessive front end grip) and FM7 (which was way too much oversteer). Is it too much? Hard to tell really.

2. no, I mean the optical perception of the speed.

Example: the car in the game drives me 120km/h, if I do not look at the speedometer and rely only on the feeling (optics, sound etc..) I have the feeling that the car drives only 90km/h. This makes me brake too late, or go with too much speed into the curve ... which results in understeer.

Possibly it goes to others also so 🤷‍♂️
For #2, FOV adjustment can have quite an effect in the perception of speed. Can't hurt to try?

I don't find it overly exaggerated. It doesn't affect me as negatively as it seems to affect other people.

Doesn't affect me either, the cars feel perfect on a controller imo.
Well, this will be a first where I actually quote myself. Anyway, I'm going to ask my son-in-law what he thinks about the understeer issue and if it's an issue at all. If anybody would know, it's him

EDIT: it's only fair to mention that I'm not as skilled as most of you and I do not drive as fast as most of you. It's possible that the reason understeer is not an issue for me is because I'm not pushing as hard as you guys do.

I don't want people who haven't played the game to look at my post and think "oh, well, I guess understeer is no big deal". It's no big deal for me but again, that may be because I'm not as fast and because I'm not pushing as hard as many of you do.

Last edited:
I feel like we're retreading the same ground as GT7 at launch; albeit with different people and it being about understeer, not oversteer.

Some of you are even saying the same things. :lol:

Today, after having played two career race, i had the feeling that my FPS had degraded from first to last drive. So I started a reproducible Free event, i got that result:
1697233403511.png

=> 25-35 fps during the race.

The idea was to replay the same Free race just after quitting and restarting the game (I'm on Windows 10 btw), and...
1697233207967.png

=> 60 fps most of the time, with a few dips to 50.

And i didn't touch any setting during either first or second gaming session.

There's something wrong, like a leak, in that game engine.

I also saw a reddit user splits its FPS in half by just browsing a few menu page during an in-race pause.

Today, after having played two career race, i had the feeling that my FPS had degraded from first to last drive. So I started a reproducible Free event, i got that result:
View attachment 1295086

The idea was to replay the same Free race just after quitting and restarting the game (I'm on Windows 10 btw), and...
View attachment 1295085

I also saw a reddit user splits its FPS in half by just browsing a few menu page during an in-race pause.
Sounds like a memory leak. If you have an OSD handy, check that and see.

Ah crap. I have to check myself...

There's something odd i forgot to mention: i took some captures with Nividia tools, and in the first instance it put captures in a CapturesNvidia\Content\ folder, and the second one (after restart) in a CapturesNvidia\Desktop\ folder, while being full screen in both cases.

Last edited:
View attachment 1295086

View attachment 1295085

There is a memory leak, DF have covered this. when you are swapping assets fast its starts to stutter the whole time. You need to restart the game and it will be smooth again. Things like this shouldn't be a issue for a game thats been developed for atleast 4 years. How did they not test stuff like this is beyond my mind.

Latest Posts

Back