Forza Motorsport General Discussion Thread

• Thread starter Terronium-12
  • 14,440 comments
Guys, Jimmy has been at this for a long time and he has likes and dislikes. But the reality is that he's a dedicated DD wheel racer these days and he's always enjoyed both circuit and rally racing.

He doesn't fit the FM user profile, just like numerous other PC sim racers. FM is not intending to be a hardcore simulator and it's been built with Xbox controller users first, wheel users second. Of course dedicated serious PC sim racers like Jimmy will have issues with it. Nothing wrong with that.

Just treat FM as it is: A nice relaxed "mostly simulator" with the hard edges softened and really really good Xbox controller support. And don't worry about Jimmy preferring other PC simulators to this one.

For what it’s worth I didn’t enjoy Overtake’s wheel setting either, too much oscillation for me.

Ermz had better settings (which I now use as a base and can have a good time with) but I think the overall theme of Jimmy’s video is spot-on, here’s something I posted in my discord earlier on it:

It’s frankly disrespectful how obtuse Forza Motorsport’s menu is and how poor the settings feel out of the box. Most games only have 4 or 5 sliders to adjust, this has 10+ and lots of them are esoteric terms that make sense to the programming team but not to the general public.

One could say “ok you can tune the car to make it better” but that’s a barrier most aren’t going to cross simply because of how daunting the menus are to people. Also doesn’t help if you download somebody else’s setup, plus you need to build up enough CarXP to unlock tuning parts anyway.

Stock setups for every car in every game should be enjoyable to drive. They won’t be optimised for competitive play but they should at the very least not behave like junk.

Forza is especially poor in this regard as they have so many cars in their roster, and they tend to default to “everything at zero or in the middle”. There’s a lack of care and attention there, and I also suspect that this poor feel isn’t as prevalent on controller due to all the dampening effects.

There are many examples of non-Forza games that have a decent feeling from both the wheel and the car with default settings, so this isn’t an impossible barrier to overcome, it just needs a level of time and priority that Turn 10 don’t seem to have assigned to this area.

Last edited:
Stock setups for every car in every game should be enjoyable to drive. They won’t be optimised for competitive play but they should at the very least not behave like junk.
That's something I mentioned on the official Forza forum years ago. My advice to them was they need a member of the team to play GTS (the latest GT game at the time), and to play it seriously enough to understand why it's so good. One huge element of why I liked GTS so much was that so much of the online racing was with stock cars that you couldn't tune AND those stock tunes were decent. Different Gr.3 or Gr.4 cars behaved differently, but I could always find a car I was reasonably happy with and just use it. Forza is still much more of a game for tuners, which is okay, but it's always going to make ranked multiplayer less accessible. Basically, FM is great if you want to play with a controller and you want to spend a load of time messing with building and tuning. If you want to play with a wheel and just get on with racing cars in stock form, GT is a far better game for that (but is much worse than FM in some other ways).

Last edited:
For what it’s worth I didn’t enjoy Overtake’s wheel setting either, too much oscillation for me.

Ermz had better settings (which I now use as a base and can have a good time with) but I think the overall theme of Jimmy’s video is spot-on, here’s something I posted in my discord earlier on it:

It’s frankly disrespectful how obtuse Forza Motorsport’s menu is and how poor the settings feel out of the box. Most games only have 4 or 5 sliders to adjust, this has 10+ and lots of them are esoteric terms that make sense to the programming team but not to the general public.

One could say “ok you can tune the car to make it better” but that’s a barrier most aren’t going to cross simply because of how daunting the menus are to people. Also doesn’t help if you download somebody else’s setup, plus you need to build up enough CarXP to unlock tuning parts anyway.

Forza is especially poor in this regard as they have so many cars in their roster, and they tend to default to “everything at zero or in the middle”. There’s a lack of care and attention there, and I also suspect that this poor feel isn’t as prevalent on controller due to all the dampening effects.

There are many examples of non-Forza games that have a decent feeling from both the wheel and the car with default settings, so this isn’t an impossible barrier to overcome, it just needs a level of time and priority that Turn 10 don’t seem to have assigned to this area.
I agree with your points PJ. And I want to add that I'm a big fan of Jimmy and have followed him on Youtube for the last 5 years.

I just wish that his critique of Forza Motorsport would have been a bit more nuanced. I understand that he wasn't fond of driving a stock car with the stock wheel settings. But why didn't he let someone help him (besides just watching a guide on Youtube) with the wheel settings, car tuning and include a short segment in the end of the video where he drove a nicely tuned car with his wheel setting sorted. Something along the lines of "this is what it should have felt like out of the box".

I'm saying this as someone who've played both AC and ACC and compared to those games FM isn't too bad, keeping in mind that it's trying to be a simcade and not a full blown simulator.

It just would've felt a bit better in my opinion if he tried to play the devil's advocate in the end of the video. And yes, I know that he made another video on FM after the first one and wanted to give it another chance. But it still felt to me like he didn't have everything dialed in and hence didn't feel what the game can really feel like.

And yes, it's ridiculous that you have to tune and adjust FM like this, but that's how it is right now. I don't like it either.

I don't think anyone disagrees with this part, to be fair. My issue with Jimmy's takes are just that he's so unnecessarily abrasive about his statements. He seemingly is speaking in hyperbole while also trying to be taken seriously as the "sane" voice. Overshooting his accusations so that the commentary around it has to dial it back to a reasonable discussion doesn't really sit right with me. I honestly don't want a 3rd part from him just because it seems to me he made up his mind during the first video. And if he really needed to respond again, don't start the video by passively aggressively attacking the comment section and then proceeding to give the impression that he doesn't actually want to solve anything.

I'm surprised that he was more diplomatic to PC3 than he is with FM, considering how hard he was on PC2. All of his points are completely accurate, except for the FH5 being better than FM.

Also just saw the GT7 has a big update coming. I know t10 isn't directly affected by this, but I hope this is more motivation for them. They need to turn around after this messy launch very quickly.

Presumably this Thursday. We will have to wait to confirm.
That was my assumption as well, but I'm starting to think that a new Featured Tour, spotlight cars, Open Tour, and reward cars may only come in two weeks. And then they would just let the current Tours continue for the next two weeks. We know that the next content update will be released in mid-November, and the next 2 car pass cars have already been revealed and are in the game (Oreca 07 LMP2 and Whistler Mustang). I'm not aware of other unreleased cars in the game (finished cars, not individual files).

Let's see what happens tomorrow :)

That was my assumption as well, but I'm starting to think that a new Featured Tour, spotlight cars, Open Tour, and reward cars may only come in two weeks. And then they would just let the current Tours continue for the next two weeks. We know that the next content update will be released in mid-November, and the next 2 car pass cars have already been revealed and are in the game (Oreca 07 LMP2 and Whistler Mustang). I'm not aware of other unreleased cars in the game (finished cars, not individual files).

Let's see what happens tomorrow :)
I hope they have all the FM details on forza monthly, and FH5 is relegated to the Let's Go livestream.

Going by last few months, FH5 will get its stream on Friday, and FM should get its stream on Monday.

Are you sure you aren't locking up the front wheels under braking? Because what you say about losing force for a second is exactly what you'd expect if you lock the front wheels and the tyres simply slide for a bit before regaining traction...
Yes, mostly when I'm blocking or losing traction, but it doesn't feel progressive while turning like if I'm holding a steady angle the wheel does like a quick turn and then loses it in like a split second, and it's like a click.

On PC with my settings (same wheel) I can't feel it that much but still it's noticeable but far more enjoyable. It has to be something with the wheel return or centering spring.

Also just saw the GT7 has a big update coming. I know t10 isn't directly affected by this, but I hope this is more motivation for them. They need to turn around after this messy launch very quickly.
I dont know if is coincidence but this update seems to poke in some weak parts of FM, even the fact GT has a Tesla and FM not
I hope this fits as motivation for Forza indeed but i am sure most people will desire to make consoe/game war with those fact

It's really strange. Tesla was in FH3 but not any other Forza game. Yet FH5 in particular has a huge array of electric cars...

I wish I knew why modern Forza doesn't have Tesla and yet GT7 got it. Bizarre.

It's really strange. Tesla was in FH3 but not any other Forza game. Yet FH5 in particular has a huge array of electric cars...

The Model S was in FM6 and FH2 as well, and the OG Roadster was in FM4. Honestly I have a soft spot for the OG Roadster, but considering what El*n is up to and the fact he’s virtually inseparable from Tesla (but that’s a different discussion), I think it’s good we don’t have Tesla.

Last edited:
Because Elon. Besides the fact that Tesla has been under fire and their boss owns Twitter, I don't really care about Tesla. Their cars aren't impressive to me. Neither is their Cybertruck. Neither is their Model Y, which both trucking sims I own for life have.

But then again, I do wish we had the old Roadster back. Don't know how GT still licenses Tesla considering they don't advertise.

Last edited:
Because Elon. Besides the fact that Tesla has been under fire and their boss owns Twitter, I don't really care about Tesla. Their cars aren't impressive to me. Neither is their Cybertruck. Neither is their Model Y, which both trucking sims I own for life have.
Tesla Racing looks fun
At least this Tsukuba Racing in the Rain was true fun

I hate that I’ve resorted to AFK test drives to boost these car levels up. I simply do not have the time to spend trying to level a car up so much that I create the D Class multiplayer car I want.

The lack of car points are just the cherry on top.

Last edited:
I don't have a PS or GT7. How is the Sophy Ai that just got added? It looked amazing from the beta thing they did a while back.

And just as a frame of reference, how are the online/safety/skill systems in FM and GT7 in comparison to each other?

I don't have a PS or GT7. How is the Sophy Ai that just got added? It looked amazing from the beta thing they did a while back.

And just as a frame of reference, how are the online/safety/skill systems in FM and GT7 in comparison to each other?
From the sounds of things Sophy is only available in certain races and is a one on one race only.

I won't be using it since I only have a PS4 Pro and she's only available on the PS5 version of GT7.

From the sounds of things Sophy is only available in certain races and is a one on one race only.

I won't be using it since I only have a PS4 Pro and she's only available on the PS5 version of GT7.
It's only available at certain tracks (nine of them) and definitely isn't one-on-one; depending on the track you will be in a 12-14 car race.

In essence, with the exception of a mystery 20 cars, you can select any car in the game and head to any one of these nine tracks and then GT will select cars (from a choice of 340 on which Sophy has been trained to date) for Sophy to drive.

You can expect both the number of available tracks and choice of cars to increase.

It's only available at certain tracks (nine of them) and definitely isn't one-on-one; depending on the track you will be in a 12-14 car race.

In essence, with the exception of a mystery 20 cars, you can select any car in the game and head to any one of these nine tracks and then GT will select cars (from a choice of 340 on which Sophy has been trained to date) for Sophy to drive.

You can expect both the number of available tracks and choice of cars to increase.
Thanks for the correction. Have they done anything to scale its skill level down or is it still alien level?

Last edited:
Last night I started the Open Series. But when it came time to pick a car it showed me all of the C class cars that were available and the ones I own of course said "owned" in the box. But when I tried to pick one it wouldn't let me. It said I could only pick from a few C class cars I owned and not all of them even though they were shown as being available.

Is there a restriction of some kind in the Open Series where you can only use certain cars?

Last night I started the Open Series. But when it came time to pick a car it showed me all of the C class cars that were available and the ones I own of course said "owned" in the box. But when I tried to pick one it wouldn't let me. It said I could only pick from a few C class cars I owned and not all of them even though they were shown as being available.

Is there a restriction of some kind in the Open Series where you can only use certain cars?
You may have done what I did earlier and fail to click on the big square saying My Cars to the left of the screen. When I did all my cars in the class were available to pick.

Last edited:

I think I noticed that it doesn't allow you to pick cars that aren't currently eligible (i.e. not currently in C Class even if that is their stock configuration) so that could possibly explain your situation?

I think I noticed that it doesn't allow you to pick cars that aren't currently eligible (i.e. not currently in C Class even if that is their stock configuration) so that could possibly explain your situation?
I don't think that was the case because one I was allowed to pick was the Miata I had tuned up to C388 or something like that. Isn't a stock Miata in D class? I used the Miata to complete the series.

You may have done what I did earlier and fail to click on the big square saying My Cars to the left of the screen. When I did all my cars in the class were available to pick.
I did that too. That's when it told me I only had 5 to pick from even though I had more owned C class cars in the general selection. That's what I can't figure out why it would let me pick from them as well.

Last edited:
I don't think that was the case because one I was allowed to pick was the Miata I had tuned up to C388 or something like that. Isn't a stock Miata in D class? I used the Miata to complete the series.
What I meant was the opposite, that only cars currently in C class would be choosable, whereas something with a stock build in C class (Like the GNX, I think) would show as eligible in the buy car section, but not in the "your cars" section if it was tuned to B Class, for instance. Your Miata being in C class would be eligible and (I assume, though am not sure) that it wouldn't show up in the buy cars area since in factory spec it wouldn't be eligible. I might be wrong though, I can't check it at the moment.

I wish I'd spoken about this sooner because now GT7 has a Model 3.
Speaking of GT7,the new update has breathed a bit of new life into the game for me.Im hoping when T10 get the issues sorted in FM then it will go on to be a cracking game,im loving the game,bugs and all to a degree,at the moment so any improvements can only be a good thing.
I know theres a lot of deserved negativity,I wont go into details as there already known,with the game at the moment but personally im chuffed to bits with FM,hopefully the game has a long life.Its nice to have a decent alternative to GT7. 👍

What I meant was the opposite, that only cars currently in C class would be choosable, whereas something with a stock build in C class (Like the GNX, I think) would show as eligible in the buy car section, but not in the "your cars" section if it was tuned to B Class, for instance. Your Miata being in C class would be eligible and (I assume, though am not sure) that it wouldn't show up in the buy cars area since in factory spec it wouldn't be eligible. I might be wrong though, I can't check it at the moment.
Screenshot 2023-11-01 195349.png

The Skyline is the one I was trying to choose but it wouldn't let me pick it. There were 5 cars available and the Skyline wasn't one of them and I don't believe the Golf was either.

Latest Posts

Back