Funny/Strange News Stories

Which will be fine as long as people don't assume that "I'm so sorry, he's from Barcelona" is still ok or something that can describe reasonable thought.

...Actually, on reflection, I'm glad they didn't go for the episodes of Mind Your Language instead.

Honestly, John Cleese's rendition of a stiff upper lip Brit is so spookily accurate, I actually can see clueless Japanese learning a lot from him....

@Grayfox quite often delves into Capital Punishment and nearly as often fails to clarify the tariffs/thresholds :)

So we should let people like this live, people like this that dont even think about others
So we should let these drugged up people continue to be on the road, a drain on welfare system?

He will now be out of a job, face jail time, and who will employ him(a drug driver)?
Fast food outlets?
Or will the fast food outlet just toss his resume in the bin and hire the kid that is still in high school that has never done drugs or committed any crime?

It is better to remove the filth from the community.

50 tonnes of truck which might be on cruise control with a drugged up Fwit can easily take out 10 cars, motorcyclists and who knows what else and if he passed out due to overdose?

You'd swear this guy was a child molester rather than a truck driver who took some drugs.

Funnily enough, convicted pedophiles/child molesters are far more likely to be killed in jail compared to other criminals.

A Few Sources

Its my understanding in Australia that we have specific prisons with specific divisions for these criminals, and I'm not really sure how to feel about that,

So we should let people like this live, people like this that dont even think about others
So we should let these drugged up people continue to be on the road, a drain on welfare system?

He will now be out of a job, face jail time, and who will employ him(a drug driver)?
Fast food outlets?
Or will the fast food outlet just toss his resume in the bin and hire the kid that is still in high school that has never done drugs or committed any crime?

It is better to remove the filth from the community.

50 tonnes of truck which might be on cruise control with a drugged up Fwit can easily take out 10 cars, motorcyclists and who knows what else and if he passed out due to overdose?

Hardly see how he's a drain on welfare, working off numbers in Australia, he made over 2k for that journey, not sure how the U.S companies pay their drivers...

This is one instance where the driver has been caught, which considering where he was caught and how far he travelled is far to late, surely there would have been moments that would have raised curiosities of other motorists on his journey that surely would have motivated them to call the police?

There's got to be more to the story, is he an addict when he's not behind the wheel? As a night driver the biggest issue i contend with amongst other drivers on the road is sleep deprivation, people trying to see out that last hour or less to be home instead of stuck on the side of the road for their required break, plus the pressures put on drivers by their employers to deliver loads on time, the transport industry is a mess globally, I would sooner be dismissed for getting physical with my bosses then be pressured into doing something questionable or illegal, can always get another job with a clean record,

Though while you're out on a capital punishment bender @Grayfox can you remove feminists, cyclists and anyone who follows or speaks of any religious groups and cult followings, I fear those will harm more people then a jacked up truck driver...

Its my understanding in Australia that we have specific prisons with specific divisions for these criminals, and I'm not really sure how to feel about that
Not specific prisons, but individual wings of existing prisons. No additional resources are spent on them. The idea is that as much as they're a danger to society, they cannot be put in a situation where their lives are endangered by other prisoners on a daily basis.

It's not that the story itself is funny or strange but in an article about mathematics, something here doesn't quite add up. :confused:
article
his solution arrived in a batch with three other papers and when Mr Klartag found a mistake in one of them, he allegedly overlooked the two others for lack of time.
Retired German man solves one of world's most complex maths problem with 'simple proof'

Edit: In the small quote I've included, it does look like it makes sense but in the wider context of the article I think it is a sums error.

Last edited:
....Nope. I read the article and I still don't get it. Not the inconsistency, but the math itself.

:boggled:

Never was too good at adding all 'em numbers back in school - looks like nothing's changed in the intervening years since then...:(

...This piece isn't so much as funny or weird, but it still left me pretty much speechless:

Malaysia MP: 'Ok for rape victims to marry their rapists': BBC.

Some of the golden nuggets to be found within:

Shabudin Yahaya from the ruling Barisan Nasional coalition said marriage could help victims "lead a better life".

"Perhaps through marriage they [the rape victim and rapist] can lead a healthier, better life. And the person who was raped will not necessarily have a bleak future.
"She will have a husband at least, and this could serve as a remedy to growing social problems," he said.

He also said some children were "physically and spiritually" ready for marriage.

"Some girls who are aged between 12 and 15 years have bodies like 18-year-old women," he said, citing his experience as a former Sharia court judge.

He's insisting that his quotes are taken out of context.... Well, okay, then...

...:odd:

I should really browse around GTP more - didn't even know such a thread existed here. Must be one hell of a fun place to "lurk", eh...
Aye, it's a good place in general.
It turns out @Hollow resurrected all the poll threads slightly later than I posted anyway so it made no difference. Her posts seemed genuine though in each thread so I appreciated them all more than the mickey take posts that could have been there.

Back