Funny/Strange News Stories

Britain's new £5 note is indestructible, we're told.

What does Britain's mad scientist community think of that? "Challenge accepted", of course.

...I thought men of science were more logical than that - the dude's a lot poorer now!! Not logical!!

Also, wasn't deliberately destroying government issued documents illegal? Bank notes should fall under that definition, so uh, did the good doctor just get himself a one-way ticket to paid-for vacation time?!

Well, the good professor does claim and the cited article agrees:

Still, as he is keen to point out: while it is illegal to deface the bank note, you aren't breaking any laws by destroying it.

I have no idea if that's actually the case or not.

I have no idea if that's actually the case or not.

They'll generally replace a damaged note for you if you have all the pieces although the article points out the the good professor "mislaid" a piece so that isn't possible in this case.

The legality:

Legal Oddities
It is not illegal to deliberately destroy a banknote. However, under the Currency and Banknotes Act 1928, it is an offence to deface a banknote by printing, stamping or writing on it. The Coinage Act 1971 also makes it an offence to destroy a metal coin that has been current in the UK since 1969, unless a licence to do so has been granted by the Treasury.

...Oh, didn't know that. Hmm.

A quick reminisce of the past: almost a decade and a half ago, asked a girl for her numbers - this was well before the proliferation of smart mobile devices - but had nowhere to jot it down. Guess what came in handy?

A bank note.

So, uh, what's the statute of limitation on defacing bank notes again?

...Oh, didn't know that. Hmm.

A quick reminisce of the past: almost a decade and a half ago, asked a girl for her numbers - this was well before the proliferation of smart mobile devices - but had nowhere to jot it down. Guess what came in handy?

A bank note.

So, uh, what's the statute of limitation on defacing bank notes again?
The law discussed above refers to UK banknotes & the statute of limitation is a US thing, no? It sounds like it depends which banknote was defaced & where it happened?

As a guess, if it was the girl who did the scribing & not you then you'd be in the clear either way?

The law discussed above refers to UK banknotes & the statute of limitation is a US thing, no? It sounds like it depends which banknote was defaced & where it happened?

As a guess, if it was the girl who did the scribing & not you then you'd be in the clear either way?

...Not sure about the exact terms, but I'm guessing there's defo a Brit equivalent for this statute what-have-yous. As for me in the clear.... hmm, wouldn't I be seen as an accomplice in the commission of a crime? Whatever the case may be, it should be fine. I mean, considering the time frame...

...Not sure about the exact terms, but I'm guessing there's defo a Brit equivalent for this statute what-have-yous. As for me in the clear.... hmm, wouldn't I be seen as an accomplice in the commission of a crime? Whatever the case may be, it should be fine. I mean, considering the time frame...

Limitation depends on which country you were in when you committed any given crime... although in the case of a banknote being defaced I'm not sure that applies anyway. The Limitations Act doesn't cover this type of heinous, terrible crime. Terrible crime.

I'm not sure that an accessory has ever been prosecuted for a single banknote (they probably have in the case of large-scale fraud), or that an individual defacer of an individual note has. There's no onus on you to report this crime, or on any of us in fact :D

A funny "breaking news" line rather than a funny story:

trump.png

Before we start, this news story ISN'T FUNNY. It just isn't.

I mean, the title is "Second Doctor Arrested in US Female Genital Mutilation Case" and it deals with minors. So NOT FUNNY.

What is funny is when World News Network allows automated keyword selection of its header images, with no-one looking at the result...

Edit:

naughty-image-bot.jpg

Last edited:
....A crematorium in Ohio is set on fire, by an obese and very dead person: explained as a "grease fire."

BBC.

Apparently, it's not the first time this happened. One more reason to stay healthy, then....

Back