Funny/Strange News Stories

It's a directorial issue, nothing to do with the text.
I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it as being purely directorial. A lot of Shakespeare's plays are inherently political - The Tempest was a pretty pointed message to James I - and there's a reason why they continue to resonate with audiences. Did you ever wonder why he stopped writing the histories? It wasn't because he ran out of kings to write about. It was because they revealed those rulers to be human and subject to the same faults as the general population, and often in a subtle, underhanded way. Even when he was destroying Richard III's reputation - on the one hand, Richard is a tyrant who nearly brings England to its knees because of his vanity and his ambition and his resentment of his brothers; on the other, he's the smartest man in England because he knows that the War of the Roses isn't over just because the Yorks want it to be, but an unfair system means that he would be powerless to do anything about it.

So while this production of Julius Caesar might make the Trump elements obvious, it's really only elevating things that have always been there. I would not be surprised if I am teaching it - or any of the other political plays - twenty years from now simply because of Trump.

So while this production of Julius Caesar might make the Trump elements obvious, it's really only elevating things that have always been there. I would not be surprised if I am teaching it - or any of the other political plays - twenty years from now simply because of Trump.

I don't disagree... but none of that distracts from the fact that the "shock horror" of this particular treatment is the Trump-a-like in the role of lead stab-ee.

As a parallel to things I said about holding a model of a severed President's head.

If some companies want to withdraw their funding of some art based on the content, they're entitled to do so.

If the play was to go ahead & any anger or concern was created around the likeness, I would find that ridiculous in a country that values its freedoms. Assuming it wasn't an actual, real threat of violence against anybody & was just a show.

...Hmm. Why do I find this headline so ironically funny?

"Dried lizard penis being sold online as India tantric root" : BBC.

Apparently, the said root can bring in good luck and happiness to the punter who forked out some $$.

...Hmm. Why do I find this headline so ironically funny?

"Dried lizard penis being sold online as India tantric root" : BBC.

Apparently, the said root can bring in good luck and happiness to the punter who forked out some $$.
:( I only wanted a family.

I'm sure the guy on the right will be perfectly fine. That piece of paper will deflect any masonry that comes his way.

_96590578_gettyimages-83680306.jpg

Also, it looks like his main motive is to spoon that other guy.

Last edited:
Reminds me of how we were taught in grade school to hide under the desks if they started dropping atomic bombs on us

Or, if you're at home, prop doors against the walls, whitewash the windows and make a single stockpile of food and drink. What happened in the remainder of the four minutes was never clear.

....Hmm, I distinctly remember consuming at least a couple of sausage rolls per week for the last 15+ years as my quick go-to lunch item at work, so, uh.... Hmm.

What was the old saying again? That there's nothing new left to invent under the sun?

Back