[Gran Turismo 5 @ TGS 2009] (SEE POST1!: New vids. Interviews!)

• Thread starter SrRd RacinG
  • 4,244 comments
Anyone know where I can find the live blog or a live video stream?

I absolutely agree that perfectly realistic would be awesome but any some damage is better than none. The point is to have a result for impacting something that rewards you for clean driving.

Gts physics haven't been perfect either but they are much better than arcade physics or old pole position physics.

The point is to get the basics of the experience across. Impact damage is a huge part of racing and its silly to ignore it.

I must say Gran turismo fans are the hardest fans to please. Sometimes i wonder why PD even bothers. If kaz fulfilled everyone's demands to the inch the game would never come out.

Turn 10 is lucky in that aspect. Their fans are lot more forgiving. Gt fans seem to be game critics that an avid gamers most of the time. In the end i guess that's the price gran turismo and polyphony digital will always have to pay.

Satisfying the needs of a baying mob to the letter.

Yeah the damage they've shown at gamescon is far from realistic. However, any damage is more realistic than no damage. And it's not only cosmetic if that's what you're thinking.

Also, we don't know if that's the final damage. It's wishful thinking to consider it will get a lot better, but some improvement is likely.
How does having some scratches on your car after being slammed into a wall realistic? I'd much rather they not waste their time and do weather and other stuff that actually improve the driving dynamics than try to please fans who don't know what they want. Better yet, make cars have realistic crash physics and roll first before you add cosmetic touches, since, I don't know, having your car behave like it crashed after you crash it would seem like a better way to improve realism than some idiotic kiddy damage.

"OH No! My car looks ugly now after a race! *car resets to brand new when you go to your garage*" What's the point? Damage is a whole lot of work for minuscule pay off.

It's because every fan wants everything from GT5 that it's taken so long to make. You want a badass online AND you want FULL damage AND you want FULL cockpit view in every car AND you want weather AND 5 million tracks and kittens AND YOU want over 1000 cars, otherwise GT5 is a disappointment to you. I feel sorry for Kaz, trying to please certain fans who want nothing less than god himself from GT5 and yet he even has the nerve to delay the game so he can add-in/polish features that are otherwise useless, but certain people think they can't live without.

Last edited:
The game comes out in a month...

I am sick of all this damage talk, after everything, I still see no meaning to it being in GT5, it doesn't make the racing more realistic and it likely won't do anything save for add some cosmetic damage so people who bitched incessantly to have it in can wank off to their TV screens.

My greatest hope is that PD scrap the damage and use the next couple of months to finish up the game and get it out, they can add the full damage later in an update, but delaying the game because of something stupid is just stupid.

And people, stop nitpicking at every little thing, at this rate, Kaz will try to please everyone and the game will never come out. How many us have actually driven a ferrari with paddle shifters outside of our dreams? You'd think the guy who owns like 5 of them with 20 years of experience making racing games would know better than a bunch of internet users who think they know ferrari cuz they drooled on over 50 pics of pics of said cars.

Yahtze said it best: "Fans are whining complaining dip****s [who usually know jack **** about what they're talking about] and you'll be better off if you just ignore them" or something to that extent. Pointing out some major flaws is fine, but nitpicking is just annoying. So everyone stop spazzing out on OCD-inducing meds and go do something else while GT5 is polished to heavens beyond.

THANK YOU for being the smartest person in here.

So any news on damage? I kinda got lost 40 pages back.

According to Turn 10 road cars have shown scratches on their paint but they do not deform when wrecked.

Rollover is confirmed, but not idea if it is for racecars only or for every car.

So will there be any Sony/PD conferences today?

According to Turn 10?:mad:

Haha! I don't know of any conferences from either Sony or PD, but you can bet something is going on over in Tokyo. I hope we get some news tonight.

I must say Gran turismo fans are the hardest fans to please. Sometimes i wonder why PD even bothers. If kaz fulfilled everyone's demands to the inch the game would never come out.

Turn 10 is lucky in that aspect. Their fans are lot more forgiving. Gt fans seem to be game critics that an avid gamers most of the time. In the end i guess that's the price gran turismo and polyphony digital will always have to pay.

Satisfying the needs of a baying mob to the letter.

Maybe they bother because of the tractor-trailer loads of money their games rake in 💡

Oh yeah, and I'm really sorry they have to bother with implementing gameplay features they should have had automatically--such as damage--if they are the "Real Driving Simulator"

And what makes you think they listen to what people say anyway?
Do you actually think they are reading the crap in the GT5 forum and taking meticulous notes? If Polyphyony is relying on the scatterbrained posts of fanboys to decide what features they are going to put in their games, then they've got serious problems. Some of the features that we finally have semi-confirmation of for GT5--such as voice chat, private rooms, damage, etc.--should have been no-brainer features from the start.

Maybe they bother because of the tractor-trailer loads of money their games rake in 💡

Oh yeah, and I'm really sorry they have to bother with implementing gameplay features they should have had automatically--such as damage--if they are the "Real Driving Simulator"

And what makes you think they listen to what people say anyway?
Do you actually think they are reading the crap in the GT5 forum and taking meticulous notes? If Polyphyony is relying on the scatterbrained posts of fanboys to decide what features they are going to put in their games, then they've got serious problems. Some of the features that we finally have semi-confirmation of for GT5--such as voice chat, private rooms, damage, etc.--should have been no-brainer features from the start.
Note that Gran Turismo is the Real Driving Simulator, not the Driving Really badly simulator.

I may be weird, but if PD just released GT5 with cars and updated physics and looked really good, then I would've been pleased 100%.

Hey guys i've been a member a while but never really posted anything before, just saw a gameplay video of an Impreza WRC at http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/index.html and at about 1-3 seconds into it you can see the starting grid. I can read a bit of Japanese and to my understanding the cars are:
1. Impreza WRC 08
2. Citroen C4 WRC 08
3. ASL Arta Garaiya 08?? (can't see the number clearly)
4. RE Amemiya Aspara Drink Rx-7 06?? (can't see the number clearly)
5. Lexus WedsSport IS350 08?? (can't see the number clearly)
6. HKS CT230R 08
7. Suzuki SK4 WRC 08
8. Ford Focus RS WRC 07/08

Last edited:
Note that Gran Turismo is the Real Driving Simulator, not the Driving Really badly simulator.

I may be weird, but if PD just released GT5 with cars and updated physics and looked really good, then I would've been pleased 100%.

You know what, I actually wouldn't have been that bothered if they had decided to not include damage either. But now, apparently they are actually going to give damage a go this time--like just about every other driving game on consoles and the PC. But somehow Gran Turismo fans who do want damage should feel guilty about it? That's ridiculous. Other game developers implement quality, realistic damage models on their games and they don't complain about how it is causing the game to be delayed. Polyphony should be no different.

And the point of damage is that people should have consequences for their actions. Running into barriers and walls at 150 MPH and just bouncing off of them with no repercussions is retarded. Having damage--like just about every other driving simulator on the market--is not a bad thing. And fans who want it shouldn't be made to feel guilty that PD is actually going to include it for once.

You know what, I actually wouldn't have been that bothered if they had decided to not include damage either. But now, apparently they are actually going to give damage a go this time--like just about every other driving game on consoles and the PC. But somehow Gran Turismo fans who do want damage should somehow feel guilty about it? That's ridiculous. Other game developers implement quality, realistic damage models on their games and they don't complain about how it is causing the game to be delayed. Polyphony should be no different.

And the point of damage is that people should have consequences for their actions. Running into barriers and walls at 150 MPH and just bouncing off of them with no repercussions is retarded. Having damage--like just about every other driving simulator on the market--is not a bad thing. And fans who want it shouldn't be made to feel guilty that PD is actually going to include it for once.
I'd hardly call any damage in any game right now realistic... at all..

Call me weird too, cause I'm with you 100% on that.
lol, we're just two anti-progressive weirdos. XD

So what you are saying is that if you ever contact anything with enough force to have an impact on your performance or abuse your engine to the point it looses some power, then you are a really bad driver?

Wow... I got some bad news for just about every professional racer driver out there... this news is gonna be devastating to all the top ranked ones...

Seriously everyone who makes this argument that damage only effects bad drivers, I hope you realize it weakens the argument that damage is not important to have people like you associated with that point of view.

PD was challenged with too many projects. Forza 2 may have applied some pressure. The fans have high demands, and I think they got caught up with GT Mobile. This is why we won't see GT5 until after March in the U.S.A

Still, it should deliver an experience for this entire generation.

Damage is not entirely about driving badly.

Ayrton Senna was an awesome driver... well... he crashed at a given day
Same goes for Schumacher, Alonso, Hamilton, Loeb, McRae, Fangio, Clark etc.

Crashing happens. I find it waaaaaay more relevant then skidmarks, 3D trees (wtf) and reverse lights.

Try to play GTR2 for example with and without damage. It's pleasant anyway, like GT is, but damage gives the game a whole new depth.

When is the next Conference?

No one here knows. Maybe Jordan or amar have a better idea. Of course something is going on, but we don't know who is speaking and what they are saying. I hope Kaz makes a surprises final appearance like he did at E3 2009.:dunce:

You know what, I actually wouldn't have been that bothered if they had decided to not include damage either. But now, apparently they are actually going to give damage a go this time--like just about every other driving game on consoles and the PC. But somehow Gran Turismo fans who do want damage should feel guilty about it? That's ridiculous. Other game developers implement quality, realistic damage models on their games and they don't complain about how it is causing the game to be delayed. Polyphony should be no different.

Troll much??? Mod this jerk needs to be perma banned.

Troll much??? Mod this jerk needs to be perma banned.

Who are you? And where did you come from?

Just because I make valid points that you don't like, you bring out the most overused, misunderstood term
on this forum--Troll. If you don't like what people are saying, that's one thing. But name-calling is weak.
If you don't like the points I am making, refute them.

Try to play GTR2 for example with and without damage. It's pleasant anyway, like GT is, but damage gives the game a whole new depth.
vaioleto, I don't want you to feel picked on, but these guys are right. Even so, the ultimate fact of the matter is that Kazunori-dono has taken the initiative to work on GT5 some more. Gran Turismo is his baby, his work of art, his pride. We get to enjoy all the tender loving care and savage hard work he and his amazing team pour into their game, a bit of their hearts and souls, when The Master is ready to release it, and not a moment before.

Something crucial is missing that we're going to enjoy very much when we finally get to experience it. I don't think it's just damage. I don't think it would take five or six months more work to get it improved to the point Kaz would approve it. I think it's a number of things he still wants to accomplish. When you and I finally get it, I think it will be well worth the wait.

Yesterday's live conference (start from bottom. 8 minutes of Kazunori's quick presentation)

9:45: He closes off by showing the PSP GT opening movie.

9:44: This is all they're announcing about GT5's feature set now. There will be more features announced in the feature.

9:43: Modes include single player and split screen two player arcade mode. GT Mode includes world map, my garage, car dealer, tuning shop, championship race, and license test. Online support includes open lobby, text/voice chat, private room, online photo album, online replay album, and export of replays to youtube.

9:40: He moves on to GT5's feature set. He's just introducing a small sampling of the set. Over 950 cars will be included. Over 20 courses, 70 variations. It will have a new physics system, damage, movable objects on the track, and the newest hybrid cars and electric cars.

9:40: He announces GT5 release period for March 2010.

9:37: He then turned the mic over to GT series producer Kaz Yamauchi.

Yesterday's live conference (start from bottom. 8 minutes of Kazunori's quick presentation)

9:44: This is all they're announcing about GT5's feature set now. There will be more features announced in the feature.

9:43: Modes include single player and split screen two player arcade mode. GT Mode includes world map, my garage, car dealer, tuning shop, championship race, and license test. Online support includes open lobby, text/voice chat, private room, online photo album, online replay album, and export of replays to youtube.

9:40: He moves on to GT5's feature set. He's just introducing a small sampling of the set. Over 950 cars will be included. Over 20 courses, 70 variations. It will have a new physics system, damage, movable objects on the track, and the newest hybrid cars and electric cars.

And this is where my post from before comes in.Here's the link. http://tgs.gamespot.com/story/6229128/gran-turismo-5-updated-hands-on

So what you are saying is that if you ever contact anything with enough force to have an impact on your performance or abuse your engine to the point it looses some power, then you are a really bad driver?

Wow... I got some bad news for just about every professional racer driver out there... this news is gonna be devastating to all the top ranked ones...

Seriously everyone who makes this argument that damage only effects bad drivers, I hope you realize it weakens the argument that damage is not important to have people like you associated with that point of view.
It weakens your view when you make it seems like having damage will suddenly turn people who only want it so they can crash like in NFS into professional drivers. Most people that want damage so it's "more realistic" seem like nothing but wannabe race car drivers to me.

"Now you can manage your car's aerodynamics when its front splitter falls off!" Gimme a break, it's like a 25 year old guy goes to take 2 days of karate lessons and then buys himself a Japanese sword and suddenly thinks he's a ninja.

GT only needs to nail down driving, all of us crashed a lot when we first began, and if it had damage that made the car hard/annoying to drive, then most would have just put the game down. I've been letting my friend's little brother come over and play GT5 at my house with my G25 wheel, and he crashes, a LOT, but GT doesn't punish him like other racers that pretend to be "hardcore" (see also: tacky, geeky), but he still feels bad when he crashes because he ruined a good lap, and because of the fact that he can just keep driving, now he's a lot better than when he first started, I'd say he's better than most drivers on the roads today, even though his foot can barely reach the pedals. This would've never happened with Forza or GTR or other games that damage elitists bring up all the time.

Last edited:

I'm not getting my hopes up, the "feature" could just be that list on their website.

The idea he spends the whole time talking about GT5 and then closes with the GT PSP video will forever haunt me

Back