Gran Turismo 6 general Physics Discussion(as well as video)

I am disappointed in GT6's new physics, GT5's physics required far more finesse to get ultimate laptime, I will admit that the GT6 physics are fun and I like how you can chuck the car about and the suspension damping model is good, but when you see the quickest guys on GT Academy's laps you see them pulling the handbrake in the slow corners and doing invisible power slides to point the nose it just puts me off the game completely. Hope this will be rectified for the final game. Little wonder that in the academy finals they used GT5.
Odd then that GT5 had the exact same issues. You will find complaints about people exploiting physics issues in thread fro every GTA that has run.

GT5 was not better in this regard at all, if anything GT6 has improved in some areas, but is still not 'right'.

If you get the chance to watch Best Motoring videos, you will see some drivers using the handbrake in slow corners and slides to point the nose.
On touge runs yes you would be right, in a very tight hairpin then the handbrake can be quicker, on a circuit however its not going to be.

These are drivers that race in Super GT, Le Mans, F3.
Yet when they race in Super GT, Le Mans and F3 your not going to see them using the handbrake (and most of these racing classes don't even have handbrakes) or deliberately initiating slides (which would get you black-flagged).

The quickest way around a corner is to have all four tyres right on their slip angle limit and the use of a handbrake or slide will always take you over that limit.
It is realistic physics.
No. GT6 is slightly more realistic physics, but its still a way from being right, particularly in regard to the tyre model.

No. GT6 is slightly more realistic physics, but its still a way from being right, particularly in regard to the tyre model.

As a person who didn't get to try the GTA Demo. I'm curious. Did it feel like the new tire model was included or no?

It certainly didn't to me, and there are others with similar sentiments. While the suspension model has definitely received some attention, the tires largely reacted the same as they did in GT5.

some of the most realistic looking crash and damage physics I've seen in a game yet - GT6 should be ashamed!

from 1min onwards

You can't really compare.

They must of spent a while on each of those cars to model the damage and what it looks like, if you did that for all the cars in GT it would take a very long time and I expect it's one of those things Kaz sees as a waste of time.

Today I tried the gt6 demo on an expo that was held today at my country, and I'm not so sure it uses the exact same tire model as in GT:A 2013.

I know those are different cars (the deltawing and the r8) and maybe there are different aspects involved as well, but the game did feel better -more realistic- and had more info on the wheel than GT:A.

On a side note, it's miles better than GT5 in every single regard. Well, except AI but that's understandable in a demo.

All that means there's still hope.

As a person who didn't get to try the GTA Demo. I'm curious. Did it feel like the new tire model was included or no?

I say no. It felt like a completely new suspension on the same old poor excuse for rubber, which was disappointing because the tires had more of an effect on the driving feel and could have masked how good the suspension was.

You can't really compare.

They must of spent a while on each of those cars to model the damage and what it looks like, if you did that for all the cars in GT it would take a very long time and I expect it's one of those things Kaz sees as a waste of time.

I don't think they had to model the damage, because there's nothing pre-baked. Everything is calculated via soft body physics and materials. The cars themself are kinda basic though and the performance needed is huge. Not possible on PS3 and most likely not even worth the effort on the PS4.

I don't think they had to model the damage, because there's nothing pre-baked. Everything is calculated via soft body physics and materials. The cars themself are kinda basic though and the performance needed is huge. Not possible on PS3 and most likely not even worth the effort on the PS4.

While there is no premodeled damage, as you go up in complexity, another problem arises. You need to make the model detailed enough to match the physics.

This one thing they really wanted to drill into me when I was taking my final college classes. We were designing a spy plane, and of course had CAD. We could either try to model the plane from the CAD models or use simple models outside of CAD. While doing everything in CAD was theoretically more accurate, we would have had to have the entire plane designed to get that accuracy, and we weren't at that point.

In the case with this software, the more advanced the physics, the less leeway there is on modeling the cars to get realistic results. With perfect physics, the cars may need to be recreated down to the last bolt if you wanted to capture their true response to a wreck. Trying to use shortcuts may result in strange behavior.

That's what I meant with "kinda basic" cars.
Imagine a 250.000-500.000 poly car, with headlight, interior and other details, plus dozens of different materials (carbon, metal, plastic, glass etc.), the work you had to put into the engine, so it doesn't look freakish and isn't buggy...

Today I tried the gt6 demo on an expo that was held today at my country, and I'm not so sure it uses the exact same tire model as in GT:A 2013.

I know those are different cars (the deltawing and the r8) and maybe there are different aspects involved as well, but the game did feel better -more realistic- and had more info on the wheel than GT:A.

On a side note, it's miles better than GT5 in every single regard. Well, except AI but that's understandable in a demo.

All that means there's still hope.
Is the demo still got serious shimmering issue like GTA?

That's what I meant with "kinda basic" cars.
Imagine a 250.000-500.000 poly car, with headlight, interior and other details, plus dozens of different materials (carbon, metal, plastic, glass etc.), the work you had to put into the engine, so it doesn't look freakish and isn't buggy...

Which is why I stated we'll probably never see crash physics like this in any racing simulator any time soon.

Here's an interesting quote from an interview with Kaz regarding physics;

"We develop our physics engine based on the results of all the test measurements that we make, but it's not necessarily the case that these measurement results are always going to be the same as actual driving conditions. What's more, even now there are still a lot of things that happen to a car in motion that we don't fully understand. In other words, there's room for imagination in this genre, and I think the part of any game's physics engine that's more 'imagination' is what makes one sim feel different from each other."

Source; http://www.polygon.com/2013/9/11/47...-talks-physics-engines-smartphone-linkups-and

VBR
Here's an interesting quote from an interview with Kaz regarding physics;

"We develop our physics engine based on the results of all the test measurements that we make, but it's not necessarily the case that these measurement results are always going to be the same as actual driving conditions. What's more, even now there are still a lot of things that happen to a car in motion that we don't fully understand. In other words, there's room for imagination in this genre, and I think the part of any game's physics engine that's more 'imagination' is what makes one sim feel different from each other."

Source; http://www.polygon.com/2013/9/11/47...-talks-physics-engines-smartphone-linkups-and
Nice! it's good to finally hear some more about the new physics engine 👍

TorqueHappenS08
Nice! it's good to finally hear some more about the new physics engine 👍

It's something I have heard from other developers before. My concern is that the imagination part is what comes into play in areas they don't understand or have data for, given that past example are the tyre, suspension and aero model, I don't particularly trust PD's imagination.

I'm actually more impressed when they start using real data and the imagination of 3rd parties who have more experience in these areas, the advantage of which most have already seen in suspension (in the GT:A) and I hope to see repeated with tyres and aero in the final product.

Bugbear Entertainment has also nice collision physics model and I bet they would be more than happy to work with PD. (not too much work as funding is still open for their next game)
http://nextcargame.com

That's some of the best looking crash damage modelling I've ever seen, the physics also look great when the cars are rolling. Thanks for sharing. :) I'd love to see that in a GT game, but realistically I doubt we ever will.

Here's a video I took while I was at Silverstone for GT Academy. If you look closely you can see how the car reacts during weight transitions and you can definitely feel it through the wheel. The physics on this build were 10x better than even the GT Academy demo. Enjoy :)

Here's a video I took while I was at Silverstone for GT Academy. If you look closely you can see how the car reacts during weight transitions and you can definitely feel it through the wheel. The physics on this build were 10x better than even the GT Academy demo. Enjoy :)

Impressive skills LV. If you have any more in depth commentary or analysis I'd appreciate it. One of the things I've always thought was a little lacking in GT was the feedback from the wheel and if it's improved whatever light you can shed on it would be appreciated. 👍👍

Thank you LVracerGT x10! Was that drifting with wheel?
How would you compare that Gt6 version to Gt5?

Impressive skills LV. If you have any more in depth commentary or analysis I'd appreciate it. One of the things I've always thought was a little lacking in GT was the feedback from the wheel and if it's improved whatever light you can shed on it would be appreciated. 👍👍

Yes, it was on the Thrustmaster T500. That build of GT6 was some of the best physics I have experienced. The dynamics of the car feel completely new. If you watch closely in that video at 2:34 when the car transitions during the switchback you can actually see the body roll go from one side to the other and you can see the suspension squat or "plant" before rebounding and stabilizing.

The car actually felt heavy through the wheel. Even though that run was relatively smooth, I felt like I was wrestling the car the whole time. But when I was in the GT86 for example, it was much easier to throw the car and it felt more responsive. In other words, heavier cars feel heavy but in an entirely new way with the way weight transition and suspension is modeled.

That run was also on Comfort Hards, and man let me tell you how good the new tire physics feel. The forward bite is so much better, it no longer feels like you're on ice. The grip loss when the car gets sideways feels amazing. One of the coolest things was being out on track during the GT Academy and going back into racecamp and practicing techniques you just learned and having it feel near identical.

Last edited:
VBR
That's some of the best looking crash damage modelling I've ever seen, the physics also look great when the cars are rolling. Thanks for sharing. :) I'd love to see that in a GT game, but realistically I doubt we ever will.

Have you guy seen BeamNG ? Lookit up!

That run was also on Comfort Hards, and man let me tell you how good the new tire physics feel. The forward bite is so much better, it no longer feels like you're on ice. The grip loss when the car gets sideways feels amazing. One of the coolest things was being out on track during the GT Academy and going back into racecamp and practicing techniques you just learned and having it feel near identical.
That's great to hear. It definitely looks more natural than it did in GT5. Though, I wonder if we will ever be able to turn down/off the tire smoke. It's really annoying, in my opinion. Nonetheless, thanks for sharing the video (that for once isn't a boring race with the AI) and your impressions.

👍

@ LVracerGT; mad drift skills! 👍 Nice to hear the physics are better than the Academy Demo, I was one of the people who really didn't like them. The car looks like it's moving much more naturally in that video, let's hope they get it spot on Dec 6th.

Back