Gran Turismo 7 Custom Race thread

• Thread starter 05XR8
  • 2,416 comments
This may have been mentioned before but I couldn’t find it in the thread; has PD ever acknowledged the tyres resetting to default issue in custom races? I sent an email to Playstation to be passed on to SIE to PD but don’t expect to get a response.
Polyphony doesn't care about custom races much. Payouts are terrible, AI is intentionally slow (95% throttle max), rubberbanding can't be disabled, tire issues remain.
That can be said about a lot of the game's issues. We can only assume they're intentional after all this time.

The tire thing seems to be an intentional "strategy" for the AI cars, but it's as basic as it gets. Hards, then inters/wets for rain, then softs after. On street tires, who knows.

We still have a race of 2 laps at the Nordschleife that pays 25,000. That should be a simple number edit to fix. They haven't. It must be intentional.
And so goes lost any fun in those races in which you have, also for the AI, street cars tuned as race cars (as for example BTCC-like races). What a shame.

The AI aren’t intentionally slow, I don’t think. I reckon it’s a bug, because they only go to 95% throttle after the first turn/braking zone, and at launch, I believe they were fine, though I’m not completely sure on that. Could be wrong.

In any case, I believe the bug has gone as follows:

AI use 95% throttle off the line

then, a few months later

AI only use 95% throttle after the first corner/braking zone.

I suspect it’s something that either hasn’t hit their radar, or it’s not a big priority. I really wish it could be fixed, though. You can get around it but for certain extremes (Kei cars, Super Formula cars), you need to spend a good chunk of time optimising the power limiter/ECU percentage and/or the gear ratios to be equal with the AI.
I think that PD simply doesn't care about these bugs. They are not unsolvable, yet they are always there. What a shame, again.

Who knows? Maybe they have to take the whole game apart to get at that code. Then they will have to put it back together again. These things take time.
Things is, they already have in whatever code, the program to change AI compounds from RH to IM to W to RS. However that tyre compound program relates to the “Measure” program that calculates the PP at a specific circuit, is it that more difficult to do for Racing Medium and treaded Comfort Hard to Sport Soft?

I believe PD would have the programming, as various cars come standard with various compounds. I mean, they program AI cars in World Circuit races, with compounds that are not the standard compound, when players buy certain cars. Look at the cAI compounds used in the WT700 Le Mans. Gr.4 Supra has RS, some cars start on RM. The programming is there.

We just don’t know why they do certain programming. We can’t race certain cars verse other cars and some instances can’t use our own garage cars, with different liveries, together.

Things is, they already have in whatever code, the program to change AI compounds from RH to IM to W to RS. However that tyre compound program relates to the “Measure” program that calculates the PP at a specific circuit, is it that more difficult to do for Racing Medium and treaded Comfort Hard to Sport Soft?

I believe PD would have the programming, as various cars come standard with various compounds. I mean, they program AI cars in World Circuit races, with compounds that are not the standard compound, when players buy certain cars. Look at the cAI compounds used in the WT700 Le Mans. Gr.4 Supra has RS, some cars start on RM. The programming is there.

We just don’t know why they do certain programming. We can’t race certain cars verse other cars and some instances can’t use our own garage cars, with different liveries, together.

Haha. That was just a joke man. Like the visual of digging around in the game to find the code physically. "There it is! I think I stripped the threads but we got her out! Now wheres the good code?!"

"We have music rally." -Kaz

"It will have to do!"

I dont want to think this way, but do you think if PD fixed custom races, would we even need PD's content anymore? Our own content would be tailored to exactly what we want. That could take away from microtransactions and engagement on the single player side. It's too bad they had to monetize the credit system because it really screwed up the rest of the game.

Last edited:
Haha. That was just a joke man. Like the visual of digging around in the game to find the code physically. "There it is! I think I stripped the threads but we got her out! Now wheres the good code?!"

"We have music rally." -Kaz

"It will have to do!"

I dont want to think this way, but do you think if PD fixed custom races, would we even need PD's content anymore? Our own content would be tailored to exactly what we want. That could take away from microtransactions and engagement on the single player side. It's too bad they had to monetize the credit system because it really screwed up the rest of the game.
We always have to take wild guesses about Kaz. It’s like when he mentioned his amazement of how the GT community took to creating liveries. I, myself, can only think he then thought of the great idea to not worry about PD making/gaming licences for racing cars, but have the players “make” racing cars. Give players the road car, give players parts like a race car and players will build it and add the stickers from outside the game with the Svg files.

Only PD have the data to know how all players play. It’s such a weird thing. In GTPSP, (I’m trying to remember)I believe doing a lap of the Nordschliefe is 1,000,000Cr.(please correct me if someone still has access to the game). Of course, it’s a little bit more difficult with the handheld controls, but the payout is immense. I’d ramp up the laps for more credits.
Why is there no similar payout in Custom Race? I don’t even know if it has to do with MTX. Players only need one car from each Group and we can randomise the grid.

Maybe Kaz shows data that not many players with use the feature, but it’s there for players to use. I just don’t know.

We always have to take wild guesses about Kaz. It’s like when he mentioned his amazement of how the GT community took to creating liveries. I, myself, can only think he then thought of the great idea to not worry about PD making/gaming licences for racing cars, but have the players “make” racing cars. Give players the road car, give players parts like a race car and players will build it and add the stickers from outside the game with the Svg files.

Only PD have the data to know how all players play. It’s such a weird thing. In GTPSP, (I’m trying to remember)I believe doing a lap of the Nordschliefe is 1,000,000Cr.(please correct me if someone still has access to the game). Of course, it’s a little bit more difficult with the handheld controls, but the payout is immense. I’d ramp up the laps for more credits.
Why is there no similar payout in Custom Race? I don’t even know if it has to do with MTX. Players only need one car from each Group and we can randomise the grid.

Maybe Kaz shows data that not many players with use the feature, but it’s there for players to use. I just don’t know.
Furthermore....PD will never fix our custom races.. A.I. in particular... it will affect number of subscrbers on PS plus who pay to go for on line races if you could have good custom races and competitive Championship on you own.... someone said "it's economy st... p " .. and too bad for us... if Sophy arrives in case there will be a monthly fee to use it ?

Last edited:
Here's another batch of custom race photos. This time the race takes place in Tokyo Expressway East, on wet.

700 pp tuned cars battling it out.

Tokyo Expressway - East Clockwise__2.jpeg
Tokyo Expressway - East Clockwise__4.jpeg
Tokyo Expressway - East Clockwise__8.jpeg
Tokyo Expressway - East Clockwise__15.jpeg
Tokyo Expressway - East Clockwise__23.jpeg

Had recently imported my photo gallery from GT7 into here. I realize I have a bit more space to share them here.

So right now, this type of race should no longer be possible due to the restrictions placed on EVs in custom races. However, I could be wrong, since I don't have the game downloaded currently:
I wanted to create a team race, sort like how it is in Mario Kart. The theme was intended to be just Green vs Orange, but then got expanded to represent two (or technically more) periods of time. I feel like it would be a neat lobby idea if enough people were interested.

The 86s here were part of a personal project to create the ultimate beginner car, back when suspension and diff changes updated the lateral Gs (75mph, 100mph, 150mph). At the time, the car was set up to produce the same amount of cornering Gs at every speed, so once you understood how it handled, you could drive it just about anywhere.
That way, if you went to race on a style of circuit - be lots of hairpins, chicanes, long corners, etc - and your pace was off there, you would know that you should focus on that style for a while.

And finally, the last thing I want to share is the idea of a KTM X-Bow "Kart" Build.

I had been so starved of kart content that I tried to make my own to fit the tracks. It was as close to a 1:1 transfer of the default Shifter 125cc settings as possible. The gearing was intended to make it feel more like something you would expect to use at a rental kart place, only having 5th and 6th gear be usable (eventual compromise).

Unfortunately for the AI, they can't really drive setups that extreme, making the build a failure in my eyes.

Last edited:
Had recently imported my photo gallery from GT7 into here. I realize I have a bit more space to share them here.

So right now, this type of race should no longer be possible due to the restrictions placed on EVs in custom races. However, I could be wrong, since I don't have the game downloaded currently:
I wanted to create a team race, sort like how it is in Mario Kart. The theme was intended to be just Green vs Orange, but then got expanded to represent two (or technically more) periods of time. I feel like it would be a neat lobby idea if enough people were interested.

The 86s here were part of a personal project to create the ultimate beginner car, back when suspension and diff changes updated the lateral Gs (75mph, 100mph, 150mph). At the time, the car was set up to produce the same amount of cornering Gs at every speed, so once you understood how it handled, you could drive it just about anywhere.
That way, if you went to race on a style of circuit - be lots of hairpins, chicanes, long corners, etc - and your pace was off there, you would know that you should focus on that style for a while.

And finally, the last thing I want to share is the idea of a KTM X-Bow "Kart" Build.

I had been so starved of kart content that I tried to make my own to fit the tracks. It was as close to a 1:1 transfer of the default Shifter 125cc settings as possible. The gearing was intended to make it feel more like something you would expect to use at a rental kart place, only having 5th and 6th gear be usable (eventual compromise).

Unfortunately for the AI, they can't really drive setups that extreme, making the build a failure in my eyes.
Yeah, still can’t use EVs with other cars in Custom Races.

Brother XR8:

Sorry to bother you about this but I wonder if you could confirm for me that Boost provides the "best" challenge when set to weak.

I told a mate and another forum member that this is the case 'cause I thought you told me this a long time ago. Just would like to know that my memory isn't playing tricks on me.

Thanks bud!

Guys, can you check if the tire issue in custom races has been solved somehow?

I ask you this because, at least from me, last night, in a BTCC-style custom race, 12 laps on Brands Hatch GP, in which many of the cars on the track were street cars tuned like their BTCC counterparts (e.g., Ford Focus, Honda Civic FK8, Toyota Corolla GR, etc... even the BMW M4 I had in the race as a West Surrey Racing 330i was not an M4 Gr. 4 but a stock M4, BTCC tuned), ALL the cars on the track used RH tyres, exactly the ones I had equipped them with in the garage. I checked in the post-race replay, none of the cars were back on stock tyres (which would have been SM or SH I think).

The throttle issue is still present, though (the bar that shows its use actually shows that the AI uses 95% or so of the throttle, it doesn't push to 100% in any case). The AI is quite strange in general: until halfway through the race it pushes in a certain way, from mid-race onwards it clearly slows down... Among other things, the first 2-3 cars go away from the rest of the group, even if in the rest in the group there are cars exactly the same as the first 2-3, and without anything special happening.

It's a shame that custom races go like this... They would be so much fun with different AI!

Last edited:
Guys, can you check if the tire issue in custom races has been solved somehow?

I ask you this because, at least from me, last night, in a BTCC-style custom race, 12 laps on Brands Hatch GP, in which many of the cars on the track were street cars tuned like their BTCC counterparts (e.g., Ford Focus, Honda Civic FK8, Toyota Corolla GR, etc... even the BMW M4 I had in the race as a West Surrey Racing 330i was not an M4 Gr. 4 but a stock M4, BTCC tuned), ALL the cars on the track used RH tyres, exactly the ones I had equipped them with in the garage. I checked in the post-race replay, none of the cars were back on stock tyres (which would have been SM or SH I think).

The throttle issue is still present, though (the bar that shows its use actually shows that the AI uses 95% or so of the throttle, it doesn't push to 100% in any case). The AI is quite strange in general: until halfway through the race it pushes in a certain way, from mid-race onwards it clearly slows down... Among other things, the first 2-3 cars go away from the rest of the group, even if in the rest in the group there are cars exactly the same as the first 2-3, and without anything special happening.

It's a shame that custom races go like this... They would be so much fun with different AI!
I believe the original issue was that the cars would either always use their stock tyre if you bought & equipped other tyres, unless you specifically bought Racing Hard tyres then it would always use them instead. I'm not 100% sure as all the custom cars/races I do use racing hards only.

As for the throttle issue, pop the boost onto weak and the AI actually use the whole pedal! I know it means that there is a very small amount of backmarker boost, but it is incredibly minimal.

Hope that helps!

As for the throttle issue, pop the boost onto weak and the AI actually use the whole pedal!
That's strange. I have already read this many times, so in last night race I had boost on "weak" as you say, but I had the AI throttle issue anyway. Somehow when I saved settings I forgot to set boost, it was on "none". My fault.

Last edited:
That's strange. I have already read this many times, so in last night race I had boost on "weak" as you say, but I had the AI throttle issue anyway. I'll check later.
Odd, it has worked for me without issue. I am sorry I can't help, hopefully it randomly starts working for you though as I know how frustrating it was for me previously. Sorry mate!

Brother XR8:

Sorry to bother you about this but I wonder if you could confirm for me that Boost provides the "best" challenge when set to weak.

I told a mate and another forum member that this is the case 'cause I thought you told me this a long time ago. Just would like to know that my memory isn't playing tricks on me.

Thanks bud!
That was first picked up by PirovacBoy. Credit goes to him.

After being recommended to use Boost Weak, along with how I set up my cars and races, plus certain circuits, its provided me the best races versus AI.

Odd, it has worked for me without issue. I am sorry I can't help, hopefully it randomly starts working for you though as I know how frustrating it was for me previously. Sorry mate!
I've checked, somehow I forgot to set the boost, it was on "none". I'll check later with another race.

Only way to have all your EVs in the same grid, is to select a hybrid or ICE. Even saving a set up and then loading it, if using an EV, it’ll automatically Load a One Make race, without alerting the user.
20970906242357752.jpg

The AI throttle is still the same. They go full throttle to T1 and from then on, less than full throttle.

That was first picked up by PirovacBoy. Credit goes to him.

After being recommended to use Boost Weak, along with how I set up my cars and races, plus certain circuits, its provided me the best races versus AI.
Thanks mate. ;)

So guys, I've checked boost setting, and I can confirm that, at least for me, it doesn't fix the throttle issue. AI still uses 95% of the throttle. I've also tried with boost on "Strong", same story. Right now I don't know how to fix this issue then.

So guys, I've checked boost setting, and I can confirm that, at least for me, it doesn't fix the throttle issue. AI still uses 95% of the throttle. I've also tried with boost on "Strong", same story. Right now I don't know how to fix this issue then.
I am not sure, but how about setting BOP ON? At least for Group cars I remember somebody was talking about that this fixed throttle issue.

I am not sure, but how about setting BOP ON? At least for Group cars I remember somebody was talking about that this fixed throttle issue.
I'll check when possible also this... But as you correctly say, this could work only for Group cars, so not for races with tuned street cars (like my BTCC-style races, sadly).

Has anyone found a method or way around setting the rolling start interval to anything other than 20 meters yet?
I think it goes from a minimum of 15m to a maximum of maybe 35m... Or also this doesn't function?

Man, this custom race mode needs so much more attention from PD...

I think it goes from a minimum of 15m to a maximum of maybe 35m... Or also this doesn't function?

Man, this custom race mode needs so much more attention from PD...
By default it is set to 20m. If you try and change it to any other value it defaults to 15m. If you then try and set it back to 20 it still defaults to 15 so you have to back out and re enter custom race for it to return to 20.

By default it is set to 20m. If you try and change it to any other value it defaults to 15m. If you then try and set it back to 20 it still defaults to 15 so you have to back out and re enter custom race for it to return to 20.
Yup, but it is stupid. Before you go into the custom race screen change the units of measurement in the options. Set the custom race up with the distance how you want, then when you have loaded into the pre-race menu change them back.

It's been like this since launch annoyingly. Used to have the same issue when setting toe angle on cars but they fixed that!

Not for me, when i put it for example at 50m the cars are actually 50m from each other, same when i put 15m or any other distance. I didn't have any problem with this option since the game release.

Last edited:
Question to everybody:

Is this a new issue since the last update or is this an older problem(which I was lucky to not encounter before...) ?

Since a few days the engine sounds are almost gone whenever I exit the pits after a pitstop in my custom races...the sounds of the wind, the rackling of the body and some of the turbo sounds are still there, but the noise of the engine is almost gone completely...

Question to everybody:

Is this a new issue since the last update or is this an older problem(which I was lucky to not encounter before...) ?

Since a few days the engine sounds are almost gone whenever I exit the pits after a pitstop in my custom races...the sounds of the wind, the rackling of the body and some of the turbo sounds are still there, but the noise of the engine is almost gone completely...
I can confirm this issue, I fix it pausing the race for a moment and then resuming it. A very easy workaround, but I hope they fix this issue in the next update.

Back