Gran Turismo 7: Latest news and discussion thread

• Thread starter sems4arsenal
  • 42,285 comments
I don't want a tokio r246 "highway 1", too many fond memories of racing on that track ._.
that wouldn't happen because the r246 is already based on real location - that wasn't the case for grand valley and that's why highway 1 exists now

Why, what’s over the barricade?
Things that should not be seen :lol:. The Tokyo Expressway tracks were carefully designed to look right from behind the wheel, or in replay cameras, but if you look down at the base of any building you'll see it sinks into a confusing, grey abyss. Special Stage Route 5 always looked like this, too, (and just about every other highway track in any game) but the effect is masked by the night.
Tokyo_floor.jpg

I have no problem with this, it makes complete sense to not waste time with walkways and entrances when the track is the expressway. From memory, there's a spot where a building appears to be in the middle of a road, but I didn't spot it yesterday.
While we wait for PD to remodel Rome for 2029 or something, I'd love to see at least one more Tokyo Expressway variant made, a really long one.

I’d like to see the Tokyo tracks sort of connected together into one huge track.
I’ve always hoped for something like this for Grand Valley where the long and short course barriers are removed so that for lobbies you can go either the long or short course and for a race, base it around either variation but then for a joker lap, you must then go around the other variation.

Something like that for Tokyo expressway with all the variations with cruise lobbies and races would be a lot of fun.

To whom it may concern,

I've played Gran Turismo since hearing about it in my junior year of high school. When I overheard some of the guys in my English class talking about getting international licenses and racing. I was very intrigued. I found they were talking about a game. I went and bought it and at the time Ridge Racer on PS1 was all the rage. (Not very realistic)

Also, my friend just got a brand new Civic for his first car and we would go down to an industrial district at night and drag race Honda’s. So having a game where you could modify and race the cars, I grew up with was beyond anything I could have dreamed of.

So, I went and bought the game and I've been hooked ever since.

I mainly played the single player as the early versions of online racing were fraught with people plowing into you at 200 mph on a turn. So, I missed the competition to actually become the driver that the movie was based on because I couldn't stand it.

I got into GT sport online racing a few months before GT7 and about this time I finally got my first steering wheel and pedals setup.

Well, the mechanics for racing online have improved dramatically but still aren't there. I have spent the last 2 years of this game trying to get into the finals. I have a SR rating of an S. I had a driver Rating of A+ at one point but went to multiplayer mode and messed around with engine mods with Abrath and bounced off walls while having fun. Came out and my DR rating was a D like huh?

Ever since I have not been able to get my score back up to an A I can get to a B but the constant trolls purposefully spinning people out is just as bad as the bombers slamming into people at 200mph except now if I don't finish above a certain spot my score goes down. I spent three days getting back to halfway through C just to be taken back down to D in one race.

This is beyond frustrating. I don't see why the daily races can't just have the cars as ghosts or have a mode to be able to advance your DR rating without fear of being taken out. Throughout this ordeal my SR rating has remained an S.

Then before this new season started, I found out that only B and A rating people are eligible to go to the finals and show down making my entries to the seasons in C class moot and 2 years of time wasted. I could probably create a new username, but I have every car in the game and don't want to have to start over.

I'm just really disheartened. I've loved this game and have always wanted to be a race car driver or drive on a real track, and I take this game seriously.

It just pains me that I may just have to give up on my dream of even proving that I'm a great driver because there is so many people out there that don't care and are only in the race to keep people like me from advancing and gaining points.

I had to start the manufacturer series as a D because I couldn't get back up to C before the first race. I spent all day trying to get to C and gave up and then missed the race for my favorite track the Nurburgring. (Which my dream would be to drive one day).

I save my replays when I do good or when people spin me out. I work a regular 9 to 5 job and don't have time to play all day to claw my way back up the line. The Nation's cup starts a day after my 43 birthday, and I just want to get to B class to prove my 25+ years of Gran Turismo track and driving knowledge to use and see if I can beat some of the young drivers.

It's bad enough I only have a T150 wheel that is dying. (Which I had to beg for my girlfriend as Christmas present and going up against people who have anywhere from $5,000 to $15,000 racing setups. I also had to convince her it's a racing simulation and not a game as of course she doesn't think a 42-year-old man should play games.

Then insult to injury is constantly being spun out. I'm beyond sick and tired of it.

I'm about to just go play Assetto Corsa on PC instead but I love Gran Turismo.

I've tried finding contact info for Poly Phony digital or someone at Gran Turimso, but the contact page is just a loop of self-help options and no real contact info. I know this will probably just fall on Def ears, but I'm just done.

If I can't get to a B class by the time Nations cup starts. I'll just be done with Gran Turismo as a whole and sell my equipment and Playstation.

Thank you!

Sincerely;

Gran Turismo's biggest Fan

I found out that only B and A rating people are eligible to go to the finals and show down making my entries to the seasons in C class moot and 2 years of time wasted.

I'm just really disheartened. I've loved this game and have always wanted to be a race car driver or drive on a real track, and I take this game seriously.

It just pains me that I may just have to give up on my dream of even proving that I'm a great driver because there is so many people out there that don't care and are only in the race to keep people like me from advancing and gaining points.
I believe the crux of your issue is unrealistic expectations. Your goal whether you realize it or not is to be in the top fraction of percentage of driver in Gran Turismo referred to in sim racing as aliens for a reason.

Racing in sims is their profession. They train racing 30-60 hours per week racing in game as a job to keep their skills up for these tournaments. They also mostly began as children and have been racing karts and sim racing decades longer than 2 years seriously.

Just adjust your expectations. You can still do it. Equipment isn’t a replacement for skill and practice even if it helps with precision. The sacrifices you make in your personal life for training in sim racing will equal improvement in performance.

As to your driver rating, it’s solely based upon where you finish. I would advise using the same tactics real racers do and keep practicing the track to get the best qualifying time, then race in the front of the pack. With time and more experience you will develop the skills to avoid all the dirty drivers online and be finishing top, and increasing your DR. If you don’t plan and practice for a race you are winging it and unprepared for said race.

I've tried finding contact info for Poly Phony digital or someone at Gran Turimso, but the contact page is just a loop of self-help options and no real contact info.

Just had my first GT7 session while downloading the game. PD is truly on another level...holy moly....

I always have a love/hate relationship with their games but if you fire up any PD game after a long time or first time, it just blowns you away...

Looking forward to see what GT7 has in store for me 👍

Things that should not be seen :lol:. The Tokyo Expressway tracks were carefully designed to look right from behind the wheel, or in replay cameras, but if you look down at the base of any building you'll see it sinks into a confusing, grey abyss. Special Stage Route 5 always looked like this, too, (and just about every other highway track in any game) but the effect is masked by the night.
View attachment 1316527

I have no problem with this, it makes complete sense to not waste time with walkways and entrances when the track is the expressway. From memory, there's a spot where a building appears to be in the middle of a road, but I didn't spot it yesterday.
While we wait for PD to remodel Rome for 2029 or something, I'd love to see at least one more Tokyo Expressway variant made, a really long one.
PD decided to create several urban layouts based on the Tokyo Expressway, perhaps the most demanding, difficult and painful region of the city of Tokyo to replicate virtually, because of the panoramic views of the viaducts and the vastness of buildings, with no vegetation around.

Bringing the Tokyo R246, for example, would be less costly for PD. The place is surrounded by trees. And the route could also be surrounded by barriers and fences, as occurs on urban tracks in real life, such as Long Beach, Marina Bay, Jeddah, Baku etc. This would hide the imperfections and require less detailing of the scenario on most of the circuit.

Like this:
longbeach.png

Last edited:
PD decided to create several urban layouts based on the Tokyo Expressway, perhaps the most demanding, difficult and painful region of the city of Tokyo to replicate virtually, because of the panoramic views of the viaducts and the vastness of buildings, with no vegetation around.

Bringing the Tokyo R246, for example, would be less costly for PD. The place is surrounded by trees. And the route could also be surrounded by barriers and fences, as occurs on urban tracks in real life, such as Long Beach, Marina Bay, Jeddah, Baku etc. This would hide the imperfections and require less detailing of the scenario on most of the circuit.

Like this:
View attachment 1316639
Tokyo Expressway doesn't replicate anything, it's a completely fictional location and the surroundings, whilst they might look like Tokyo, are just procedurally generated and thrown about.

It's a very different design philosophy compared to creating an actual replica of a real life location. It would be much harder for them to model a modern Tokyo R246 (not sure how this is less costly anyway, it's in the heart of Tokyo. I've been there.) because Tokyo R246 is actually real and has to represent something. The existing Expressways haven't and don't.

Just adjust your expectations. You can still do it. Equipment isn’t a replacement for skill and practice even if it helps with precision. The sacrifices you make in your personal life for training in sim racing will equal improvement in performance.
Exactly this. The idea that you need an expensive setup continues to be the biggest trap people fall for in Sim Racing, yet there are multiple examples where this is simply not the case and even applies outside of GT. Biggest example that comes to mind is NASCAR Driver Ty Majeski in iRacing. At one point, he had the highest Oval iRating out of everyone on the service (About over 10,000 if I recall) all while having THIS as his setup:

1704405090093.png

Proof that you can hit it big, even if your setup is slightly ghetto.

Last edited:
As someone living in Tokyo, I'd prefer a city course in a European city (Rome, Paris, Lissabon, Brussels, Berlin, Prague, Vienna, Stockholm, Budapest, anything goes) over R246 to be honest. Also, if I could design a course in Tokyo I'd include a bridge over the Tamagawa or Sumidagawa. Then again, I've no nostalgic attachment to R246 as I've never really played a GT game before Gt Sport.

As someone living in Tokyo, I'd prefer a city course in a European city (Rome, Paris, Lissabon, Brussels, Berlin, Prague, Vienna, Stockholm, Budapest, anything goes) over R246 to be honest. Also, if I could design a course in Tokyo I'd include a bridge over the Tamagawa or Sumidagawa. Then again, I've no nostalgic attachment to R246 as I've never really played a GT game before Gt Sport.
It's not a question of nostalgia. R246 is the best city track ever made... ;)

It's not a question of nostalgia. R246 is the best city track ever made... ;)
Yeah, didn't mean to imply nostalgia would be the only reason you'd want the track to return in GT7. I'd be very happy about any new track in the game but if I could wish a city track into existence I'd go for something else/new.

To whom it may concern,

I've played Gran Turismo since hearing about it in my junior year of high school. When I overheard some of the guys in my English class talking about getting international licenses and racing. I was very intrigued. I found they were talking about a game. I went and bought it and at the time Ridge Racer on PS1 was all the rage. (Not very realistic)

Also, my friend just got a brand new Civic for his first car and we would go down to an industrial district at night and drag race Honda’s. So having a game where you could modify and race the cars, I grew up with was beyond anything I could have dreamed of.

I mainly played the single player as the early versions of online racing were fraught with people plowing into you at 200 mph on a turn. So, I missed the competition to actually become the driver that the movie was based on because I couldn't stand it.

I got into GT sport online racing a few months before GT7 and about this time I finally got my first steering wheel and pedals setup.

Well, the mechanics for racing online have improved dramatically but still aren't there. I have spent the last 2 years of this game trying to get into the finals. I have a SR rating of an S. I had a driver Rating of A+ at one point but went to multiplayer mode and messed around with engine mods with Abrath and bounced off walls while having fun. Came out and my DR rating was a D like huh?

Ever since I have not been able to get my score back up to an A I can get to a B but the constant trolls purposefully spinning people out is just as bad as the bombers slamming into people at 200mph except now if I don't finish above a certain spot my score goes down. I spent three days getting back to halfway through C just to be taken back down to D in one race.

This is beyond frustrating. I don't see why the daily races can't just have the cars as ghosts or have a mode to be able to advance your DR rating without fear of being taken out. Throughout this ordeal my SR rating has remained an S.

Then before this new season started, I found out that only B and A rating people are eligible to go to the finals and show down making my entries to the seasons in C class moot and 2 years of time wasted. I could probably create a new username, but I have every car in the game and don't want to have to start over.

I had to start the manufacturer series as a D because I couldn't get back up to C before the first race. I spent all day trying to get to C and gave up and then missed the race for my favorite track the Nurburgring. (Which my dream would be to drive one day).

I save my replays when I do good or when people spin me out. I work a regular 9 to 5 job and don't have time to play all day to claw my way back up the line. The Nation's cup starts a day after my 43 birthday, and I just want to get to B class to prove my 25+ years of Gran Turismo track and driving knowledge to use and see if I can beat some of the young drivers.

It's bad enough I only have a T150 wheel that is dying. (Which I had to beg for my girlfriend as Christmas present and going up against people who have anywhere from $5,000 to $15,000 racing setups. I also had to convince her it's a racing simulation and not a game as of course she doesn't think a 42-year-old man should play games.

Then insult to injury is constantly being spun out. I'm beyond sick and tired of it.

I've tried finding contact info for Poly Phony digital or someone at Gran Turimso, but the contact page is just a loop of self-help options and no real contact info. I know this will probably just fall on Def ears, but I'm just done.

If I can't get to a B class by the time Nations cup starts. I'll just be done with Gran Turismo as a whole and sell my equipment and Playstation.

Thank you!

Sincerely;

All due respect but if you are having that difficult of a time getting back up to B rank then there is something going on with your driving. Any track that you can gold in circuit experience should not be a problem for you in multiplayer. Stay away from other cars, wait for them to wreck or make a costly mistake and you will finish in the top half of the field more times than not. Yes sometimes you will get crashed out, but if it's happening the majority of the time you race then there is something you are doing incorrectly. I am a rank B and S safety rating and I honestly got here by simply being smart, I am often not the fastest guy out there.

A quick random question:

When one's SR is "Full" does the bar appear fully white, or darkened out like empty? I ask because I've ran about 5 Daily Race As tonight and it hasn't changed once, all clean runs as well.

A quick random question:

When one's SR is "Full" does the bar appear fully white, or darkened out like empty? I ask because I've ran about 5 Daily Race As tonight and it hasn't changed once, all clean runs as well.
If your SR is at S and doesn't change after races, and in the menus the SR bar appears darkened/empty/invisible, then your SR is full

Last edited:
It's bad enough I only have a T150 wheel that is dying. (Which I had to beg for my girlfriend as Christmas present and going up against people who have anywhere from $5,000 to $15,000 racing setups
It's not the equipment but thé person behind it 😉 Having a T150 myself and I call it my plastic pedal warrior.

It's practice and time which makes you better, not the wheel!

To whom it may concern,

Thank you!

Sincerely;

I race in a league where there are some guys in their 70s and 80s racing in - and occasionally winning - championships in their division against drivers 40-50+ years younger than them.

By all means set goals, learn what you can and try to achieve those goals, but try to enjoy it along the way... it's still a video game after all.

Then again, I've no nostalgic attachment to R246 as I've never really played a GT game before Gt Sport.
Add me to those who have no nostalgia or attachment to the Tokyo track. I've seen vids and it looks ok I guess, nothing special. If they're going to bring back an old classic my vote would be for Autumn Ring (if we're going the nostalgic route let's go all the way back to the beginning).

My SO gifted me GT7 and I'm playing in her PS4 pro and having a blast, GT was my first game in the franchise and 6 my last. I have a few questions.

What's the point of buying post 2001 cars in the used dealership? Like, the difference of price is not hat high nor mileage is that bad some times, guess some cars engines need rebuilding and so? I want to buy the 996 GT3 in yellow but I'd like to roleplay the purchase because a zero mileage 996 GT3 certainly is impossible to buy IRL. Maybe it's better to buy new if you are going to do a race build.

In the login bonus campaign I got gifted the VW IDR'19 and the Porsche VGT Spyder, they are fun to drive but, can I use them in any events with tyre wear - fuel consumption? Their EV nature makes me thing they aren't going to work but didn't tested yet.

I'm in the menu 23 (Alfa) and still didn't bothered to do races outside menu's yet aside of the Fuji 700 (hard one tbh), the cars on the race are nuts, how the Alphard or a T150 can be so fast?

And that's it, I'm enjoying the game pretty much, even with it's downsides compared to other games in the franchise (the coffe menu's are a good idea but the races, boring, even on hard).

Cheers!

Last edited:
Back