Gran Turismo 7: Latest news and discussion thread

• Thread starter sems4arsenal
  • 42,135 comments
Hm, there should still be something this week at the Tokyo Auto Salon, since GT is a partner there.
I wouldnt interpretate to much in this car show. They are no exhibitior as i looked for and only their logo on the Website, maybe only sponsor, i dont really know. If there would be a upcomming car announcement e.g. for GT, there certainly would be a concrete teaser like the Porsche. Could imagine they put their brand on banners for example. Look at 24h Nurburgring where Gran Turismo is partner, too. They have put their logo on the cars, simple Said. But thats it.

Last edited:
I just wonder why we still haven't seen Pikes Peak ?
I have learned in the past 12 years with this company to not over expect, the disappointment factor then eases! Anything we don't know yet will be a lovely bonus (as long as is not a resource wasted trip to the moon amongst other fluff imo) but I'm taking it nowadays what I see is what we will get! I dont count DLC.

Got a question for the nerds:

Take a game like Gran Turismo Sport. Looks great on PS4. Looks awesome on PS4 pro and PS5. I say this because I recently just upgraded to a PS5 from a bone stock PS4 (thanks to the Mrs' blind luck after she was able to nab a PS5 during a Walmart drop on her first try despite me trying for 2 months straight...twice a week HAHA!).

Why does it look better? I get frame rates and all that... but the game just looks so much better. Much more detail.

My question is, do developers "build in" leeway into their coding or what-have-you, so a game can cross platforms, hardware, etc. and still be the same game per-say..... but just look better or worse. Think ACC....

..... I know, I know. The console version of ACC was adapted by different developers. But the example still stands in the PC realm.

This is where I'm going with this. Is it possible that PD built "extra horsepower" into GT7, so that after a certain time when PS5's become more available, they make an announcement or whatever that says after "such and such update" all new content and sport-mode related stuff will be usable by PS5 users only.

What says ye??

Last edited:

Take a game like Gran Turismo Sport. Looks great on PS4. Looks awesome on PS4 pro and PS5. I say this because I recently just upgraded to a PS5 from a bone stock PS4 (thanks to the Mrs' blind luck after she was able to nab a PS5 during a Walmart drop on her first try despite me trying for 2 months straight...twice a week HAHA!).

Why does it look better? I get frame rates and all that... but the game just looks so much better. Much more detail.

My question is, do developers "build in" leeway into their coding or what-have-you, so a game can cross platforms, hardware, etc. and still be the same game per-say..... but just look better or worse. Think ACC....

..... I know, I know. The console version of ACC was adapted by different developers. But the example still stands in the PC realm.

This is where I'm going with this. Is it possible that PD built "extra horsepower" into GT7, so that after a certain time when PS5's become more available, they make an announcement or whatever that says after "such and such update" all new content and sport-mode related stuff will be usable by PS5 users only.

What says ye??
It's not impossible for GT7 to have a PS5-specific update sometime in the future.

Last edited:
It's not impossible for GT7 to have a PS5-specific update sometime in the future.
Sounds plausible right? I mean, I was on the ACC forum last night, and they were talking about what everyone thought of the new physics model.

Seems like if PD made the “bones” of the game in a way they were satisfied with, they could update a lot of different parts of the game and/or content to tailor itself to different hardware i.e. PS5 or even (GASP)….PC.

Like the game could be one perpetual update for the entire life-cycle of PS5 and all of its inevitable renditions.

It’s not out of the realm of possibility either. When we first saw the trailers a long time ago when GT7 was advertised as a “PS5” only game, it was clear that the game engine leaned very heavily upon what PD created with GTS.

Outside looking in, it’s a no-brainer to create PS5-only updates down the road. Especially in single player mode. It seems to me that it would be super easy to make updates in single player that take full advantage of the PS5’s horsepower.

Last edited:
Seems like something that would annoy a lot of PS4 owners though. They paid for their game just like PS5 owners did. If you're going to release on multiple systems it seems like a bit of a dick move to then make updates that only half the users can play.
No more of a dick move than potentially throttling what the game could have been to backpeddle and make it cross gen after people did what they needed to do to secure a ps5 to be able to jump into gt7 at launch.

Seems like something that would annoy a lot of PS4 owners though. They paid for their game just like PS5 owners did. If you're going to release on multiple systems it seems like a bit of a dick move to then make updates that only half the users can play.
It’s only a dick move if there wasn’t easily available PS5 consoles. If there is… then it’s just a PS4 game with PS5 only content after a certain point.

I think this is what this game will do for the entire life cycle of PS5. stamp it!

I don't know, that seems more like a you issue than an issue with Polyphony/Sony.
I'm just playing devils advocate. I have no doubt an element of ps4 users would be pissed if ps5 owners got exclusive updates, just as some ps5 owners are annoyed that gt7 is no longer an exclusive next gen game.

I dont care really either way. I'm one of the ones that preordered a ps5 the day they opened it up. I pretty much ordered it specifically for gt7. I have been using it since November 2020 and still dont have a ps5 exclusive game on it (apart from Astro) I'll admit I'm a little disappointed that the game probably wont be what it could have been, but I understand why they flipped and went cross gen. Ultimately the more people that get to play and enjoy the game the better. The only thing I would be up in arms about would be if they wound back the benefits of the duel sense to parity with the ds4. There is no indication that will be happening, so I'm all good.

Some people are too focused on tech details. And not the product. The product just happens to work on 2 consoles this cycle.

Obviously PD is going to try to put out the best product they can or lose market share to competition, like every cycle.

The greatest difference between GTS and GT7 will be the machine it was developed on. Development probably started before there was a physical PS5 and early development was very likely done on a PS4.

Think of it in reverse. They likely could have done this for the PS 2 & 3. But didn't. And it sold a lot of consoles.

I wonder how many consoles, these “banner” games actually sell tho?

I wonder if it’s simple mathematics. They’ve figured out that Sony and PD will maximize profits doing a cross-gen title…..PS5 availability be damned.

They could then charge for “major” PS5-only updates. Not a whole lot. 10-20 bucks max.

Hell, they could even market major update changes like they would new game.

Then….you’ll have to buy a console AND an update if you want the latest and greatest. PD gets a market share of consoles sold because of said updates. Win-win for everyone honestly. Less man hours for PD creating an entirely new title. Sony wins from game and console revenue.

Business-leverage 101

It's a bit messed up, with ACC, us PS4 users don't have access to the M4 GT3 updated for pc users.

As mentioned above, as long as us PS4Lifers™(PS4Lifer™ and PS4Lifers™ is not to be used outside without licence other than gtplanet website, its owner, gtplanet staff in forums and subforums and through 05XR8 aka SpacedustDaddy aka Inc without permission from all parties involved as members or contributors heresoforthwithgodspee****herto :D) got the same cars and tracks update, the details of graphics and frame rate and instant joining lobbies, do don't bother me. Let the PS5ers live. Y'all can ™ that one. :P:sly:

You have to break a few eggs to make an omelette. It will upset a few people but it will probably end up helping the game in the long run. A "Spec 2.0" update for GT7 on PS5 that makes use of the extra horsepower will please a lot of people if it's released 2 years down the track. They have to branch it off eventually, just like GTA 5 did.

It’s only a dick move if there wasn’t easily available PS5 consoles. If there is… then it’s just a PS4 game with PS5 only content after a certain point.

I think this is what this game will do for the entire life cycle of PS5. stamp it!
No, it's a dick move to expect someone to buy another console to access extra content for a game on a console they already own. Just like it was a dick move to require people to use a mobile device to access the track creator in GT6. We're not all made of money. If I buy a game for PS4, I expect all of it to work on PS4. Not just bits of it.

If they want to force people onto PS5, make it a PS5 only game. Don't catfish people into buying a PS4 game and then dangle extra content that's only available on PS5. That's deceptive. It hasn't stopped other companies doing it, but I'd like to hope that Polyphony has a little more respect for their players.
Then….you’ll have to buy a console AND an update if you want the latest and greatest. PD gets a market share of consoles sold because of said updates. Win-win for everyone honestly. Less man hours for PD creating an entirely new title. Sony wins from game and console revenue.

Business-leverage 101
You notice how your definition of "everyone" here doesn't include the actual players? PS4 players do not win from this scenario.

Hide your love of giving your corporate overlords money better.
You have to break a few eggs to make an omelette. It will upset a few people but it will probably end up helping the game in the long run. A "Spec 2.0" update for GT7 on PS5 that makes use of the extra horsepower will please a lot of people if it's released 2 years down the track. They have to branch it off eventually, just like GTA 5 did.
They don't, because no Gran Turismo game has received updates anywhere near as long as GTA 5. Gran Turismo 6 is roughly the same age as GTA 5, and Polyphony shut down the servers on that one nearly four years ago. If GT7 is still going as the latest iteration of the franchise in nine years, then sure, they can reasonably look at discontinuing support. But we all know that's never going to be the case.

If there's a Spec 2 for GT7 that introduces new features, it's expected that they will offer the same for the PS4. It's not expected to be performance equivalent, but it is expected to be feature equivalent. By choosing to release on two platforms they've locked themselves into supporting both of them. If they want to move to supporting PS5 only, I'd suggest that they release GT8 as a PS5 exclusive.

I guess I wouldn't be surprised if Polyphony, after not saying anything about GT7 on the PS4 for months, close to a year after announcement and still not really saying anything a month and a half before release (though we can certainly infer considering what the lead system obviously was, going by most cross-gen games this generation making concessions on the next-gen to have consistent performance across the board, with few exceptions) decided to create a Spec 2 update for GT7 that also basically served as the last call for PS4 content support, and telling everyone who is still on the PS4 to either make the jump or pound sand.

They decided it was a good idea to make their next game cross-gen, and you can certainly take the over in this being either the only GT for a good chunk of the generation, or maybe even the entire generation knowing Polyphony's track record in developing games since GT5. They made this potential mess, they deserve to sit in it. Certainly won't stop the hilarious chaos from fans (rightfully) raising a **** fit if this ever came to be.

The issue is that I, and probably a fair few bit of the community, would probably have accepted a cross-gen title for GT7 if it was clear that a very clear delineating point between cross-gen, and eventual mass adoption of the next gen takes place in the next two years or so. It's the same sort of idea for titles like Forza 8/Horizon 6 and likely COD Modern Warfare '22 - that eventually, what you want to do systems and likely graphics wise, is going to be hard capped with having to also support last gen hardware. With COD, the fact that it's a yearly series (and you have countless studios to do development) alongside the fact that you already did most of the hardware in creating an all new, modernized game engine before the generation change eliminates most of the hard work and potential headaches of complaints about stopping support on older consoles when you do decide to cut the cord. Similar situation with Forza 8/FH6 - the fact that T10 are working as we speak right now on Forzatech 2, and have made it clear that FM8 and FH6 are going to be next gen only, it makes sense to have FH5 be cross-gen, because when you have enough work done and FM8 releases, you can easily shift things and force the gen-upgrade issue with those who are still on Xbox One.

With GT7 though, you get faced with the viscous catch 22 - it's clear that Sony and Polyphony believes that GT7 releasing on PS5 isn't enough even if the issue is demand outstripping supply due to various factors, even when actual console units are being sold in record numbers. That'd be fine and noble, but it falls apart the second you remember how Polyphony specifically has focused on graphics to an almost hilariously one sided degree since GT5, and anyone with half a brain can see even in the bull trailers and screenshots that the focus on making sure that both the PS4 version with it's many different variations, and the PS5 can run at parity, and as such has made focusing on features that could greatly benefit on the newer gen version (physics changes by not having to rely on bad internals from the older system, 120 FPS support, 4K) non-existent. But the worst part is, there's no guarantee that there will be another GT game in the pipe. It could be three, four, maybe even five years from being announced. That's about the earliest point we can expect a fully next gen, stripped to the bolts GT game.

So for now, PD is very much shackled to the PS4 when they very easily could have saved themselves the hassle of ripping off the bandage and developing GT7 for PS5 specifically. At some point, if they expect GT7 to have at least half the life that GTS did (which at least it has a reason to this time, instead of simply shuffling through trying to support an otherwise white elephant eSports series and piecemeal a single player portion that should have been in the game from the beginning) they're going to have to choose at what point the PS4 loses support and support moves to the current gen system. And knowing how Polyphony have handled shut downs of older games' online services, I have a feeling it's going to be much quicker then people anticipate, and it's going to cause a rather large **** storm.

Last edited:
No, it's a dick move to expect someone to buy another console to access extra content for a game on a console they already own. Just like it was a dick move to require people to use a mobile device to access the track creator in GT6. We're not all made of money. If I buy a game for PS4, I expect all of it to work on PS4. Not just bits of it.

If they want to force people onto PS5, make it a PS5 only game. Don't catfish people into buying a PS4 game and then dangle extra content that's only available on PS5. That's deceptive. It hasn't stopped other companies doing it, but I'd like to hope that Polyphony has a little more respect for their players.

You notice how your definition of "everyone" here doesn't include the actual players? PS4 players do not win from this scenario.

Hide your love of giving your corporate overlords money better.

They don't, because no Gran Turismo game has received updates anywhere near as long as GTA 5. Gran Turismo 6 is roughly the same age as GTA 5, and Polyphony shut down the servers on that one nearly four years ago. If GT7 is still going as the latest iteration of the franchise in nine years, then sure, they can reasonably look at discontinuing support. But we all know that's never going to be the case.

If there's a Spec 2 for GT7 that introduces new features, it's expected that they will offer the same for the PS4. It's not expected to be performance equivalent, but it is expected to be feature equivalent. By choosing to release on two platforms they've locked themselves into supporting both of them. If they want to move to supporting PS5 only, I'd suggest that they release GT8 as a PS5 exclusive.
Oh come on.

I’ve read you’re posts….

You’re smarter than that.

You know it’s all about maximizing the $$$’s. Present, and future

Oh come on.

I’ve read you’re posts….

You’re smarter than that.

You know it’s all about maximizing the $$$’s. Present, and future
For Sony and Polyphony, sure. That's their job. Do you work for Sony? For Polyphony?

And part of that is making sure that customers feel like they get value from your products. It's called goodwill. It's quite important for a franchise. It's a big part of how Gran Turismo got to where it is today.

As the consumer I'm not required to advocate for Sony and Polyphony making more money at my expense. Quite the opposite, a free market means that I should attempt to obtain any given product for the lowest price possible. By doing otherwise I would harm not only myself but other consumers who might also try to buy the same product. I'm all for Polyphony making a fair profit from their product, but I'm not on board for deceptive marketing.

Just because you like a game doesn't mean you have to promote the idea of exploitative business practices. You can do what you like, including shilling for Polyphony and Sony. But if you want to also represent yourself as a potential consumer of the product I'm going to call you out for it when you behave like an agent of a corporation. It is not our job to make money for Sony and Polyphony.

Last edited:
I think the difference between PS4/PS5 versions of the game will be the same as with FIFA 22.
You getting better graphics better FPS and faster loading times...
You can see and feel the difference.
will be defenitly smaller as fifa 22 got new animation system driven by ai on nextgen consoles and is not crossplay

We haven't seen any chase view gameplays of GT7 yet.
I always play racing games (only GT, Choro Q and Mario Kart, though) in chase view, so I wonder how it looks in GT7.

What says ye??
It looks better because the code for the Pro version has better resolution. It looks the same on the Pro/PS5 because there is no PS5 specific code.

I'm just playing devils advocate. I have no doubt an element of ps4 users would be pissed if ps5 owners got exclusive updates, just as some ps5 owners are annoyed that gt7 is no longer an exclusive next gen game.

I dont care really either way. I'm one of the ones that preordered a ps5 the day they opened it up. I pretty much ordered it specifically for gt7. I have been using it since November 2020 and still dont have a ps5 exclusive game on it (apart from Astro) I'll admit I'm a little disappointed that the game probably wont be what it could have been, but I understand why they flipped and went cross gen. Ultimately the more people that get to play and enjoy the game the better. The only thing I would be up in arms about would be if they wound back the benefits of the duel sense to parity with the ds4. There is no indication that will be happening, so I'm all good.
You'll be happy to know that if we follow the original chronology of GT, the next entry will come at the end of PS5, and that'll be an exclusive, not cross-gen.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back