Gran Turismo 7: Latest news and discussion thread

• Thread starter sems4arsenal
  • 42,136 comments
Why wouldn't it be an issue? Why wouldn't you want a new game to feature new tracks? That's kinda the point of a new game.
Is it seriously an issue for them to simply announce the return of beloved past tracks now? Should PD only be allowed to post new footage when its a new track? Im legit struggling to believe that out of all things to complain about with this game, which is basically what happens every single day on the site, this is what we're getting upset about?

Is it seriously an issue for them to simply announce the return of beloved past tracks now? Should PD only be allowed to post new footage when its a new track?
Where on earth did I say anything like that? I merely suggested that now they've formally announced all the known returning tracks and after they've shown a video of Daytona hopefully they will then move onto a new track or two, and that this isn't it. It was a simple desire that I didn't expect to be controversial or even seen as complaining. It wasn't.
Im legit struggling to believe that out of all things to complain about with this game, which is basically what happens every single day on the site, this is what we're getting upset about?
Struggling to read seems to be your primary issue here.

Last edited:
Is it seriously an issue for them to simply announce the return of beloved past tracks now? Should PD only be allowed to post new footage when its a new track? Im legit struggling to believe that out of all things to complain about with this game, which is basically what happens every single day on the site, this is what we're getting upset about?
Cue the “are we not allowed to discuss things on a discussion forum?” post. :lol:

Who doesn’t want new tracks? I’m sure we all do but some new gameplay footage of Daytona would certainly be cool even if it’s a confirmed track since quite a while.

Why wouldn't it be an issue? Why wouldn't you want a new game to feature new tracks? That's kinda the point of a new game.
While I get your statement is also true, you have to realize that GT7's marketing strategy is intentionally aiming for classic/returning stuff. This is, obviously, because of GT Sport's philosophy of "burn it to the ground", that made lots of people hate the game. Now, they need to bring back the old fans by presenting mostly returning features that should've never gone away. That's pure marketing strategy.

I don't know about you guys, but I'd definitely expect more marketing material as of mid-January. We've had one decent gameplay video... I mean the game is launching in about 6 weeks and this is all they can do? Even if there's a huge marketing campaign starting tomorrow it's already a bit too late for a proper hype build-up imho.

Last edited:
I'm sure there'll be new tracks, either at launch or in content updates. We saw many new tracks in GT Sport - with track DLC more or less confirmed for GT7, why wouldn't there be new courses there, too? I think realistically-speaking, we'll see a combination of returning real and fictional courses from prior games, respectively such as Monza 80s or Circuito di Roma, and new courses that will also be a combination of real-world venues and new original designs. I'm personally hoping for Phillip Island, the Dubai Autodrome, and/or Kyalami, as there aren't many (if any) circuits set in those parts of the world within GT.

I'd also hope for Sonoma, but I think we might have enough courses set in California. For real circuits alone, we already have Willow Springs and Laguna Seca, and then for fictional ones, there's Blue Moon Bay, SSRX, and Trial Mountain. As far as courses set in the United States go, how about a different part of the country for a change, like Lime Rock Park or Watkins Glen?

Last edited:
I don't know about you guys, but I'd definitely expect more marketing material as of mid-January. We've had one decent gameplay video... I mean the game is launching in about 6 weeks and this is all they can do? Even if there's a huge marketing campaign starting tomorrow it's already a bit too late for a proper hype build-up imho.
I will say that the lack of marketing material for GT7 has surprised me quite a bit. As for whether this means something bad, or they want to surprise everyone, I don't know and I don't feel up to debate that. :lol:

While I get your statement is also true, you have to realize that GT7's marketing strategy is intentionally aiming for classic/returning stuff. This is, obviously, because of GT Sport's philosophy of "burn it to the ground", that made lots of people hate the game. Now, they need to bring back the old fans by presenting mostly returning features that should've never gone away. That's pure marketing strategy.
I don't think new tracks is going to negate that. Every GT game launches with new tracks, I'm sure everyone expects that alongside the return of the old gameplay formats.

I will say that the lack of marketing material for GT7 has surprised me quite a bit. As for whether this means something bad, or they want to surprise everyone, I don't know and I don't feel up to debate that. :lol:
Agreed. What surprised me is how they released all that non-vital stuff back in late 2021. Instead they should have shared proper news back then, and saved the teasers for these last few weeks before launch.

Agreed. What surprised me is how they released all that non-vital stuff back in late 2021. Instead they should have shared proper news back then, and saved the teasers for these last few weeks before launch.
Yeah, GT6 felt way more hyped up, even if that game was a bit of a dud.
I also think we won't be seeing any PS4 footage until release, they probably want to keep that under wraps as I imagine they had to cut a lot of corners to get it running at 60fps on PS4.

Last edited:
I don't think new tracks is going to negate that. Every GT game launches with new tracks, I'm sure everyone expects that alongside the return of the old gameplay formats.
For sure, brand new tracks are more than welcome, but this simply isn't the main focus at the moment. If GT7 ends up being released with no new tracks, doubtless they'll come in great numbers through updates. There's actually no need to worry about this in my opinion.

For sure, brand new tracks are more than welcome, but this simply isn't the main focus at the moment. If GT7 ends up being released with no new tracks, doubtless they'll come in great numbers through updates. There's actually no need to worry about this in my opinion.
Is that going to be the go to reasoning now, that they'll "include it in updates"? When will that be? 2 months? 4? Who knows.That's no good for day 1 buyers is it?

So again, I really hope we see something in the next few weeks. I really don't think it's asking too much, every previous GT game has launched with at least one new track.

I really dont think we‘ll see brandnew Tracks at launch. The focus here i See definitly at returning of the Classic Tracks for PD, sorry.
Over GT7 lifetime, we‘ll get More Classic tracks back and brandnew Tracks than to GT8 or whatever it will be called.

Last edited:
I hope they have a new track and it would be a nice surprise if it isn't revealed until we actually get our hands on the game. I hope they creta a track DLC pack with the fictional tracks from past GTs. Probably won't happen but one can hope.

And if every track has dynamic weather and day-night cycles.
Sadly i don't think so...
My thoughts are that most if not all will have dynamic time to a certain degree as we’ve seen all tracks have different times of day in GTSport (the majority would be daylight only, tracks like Daytona, Nurburg, Le Mans etc would have full 24hr cycle)

Dynamic weather, that’ll be harder to try to guess, though I’m sure all the tracks with full 24hr cycle will have dynamic weather as well, for the rest it’s just a shot in the dark IMO

Last edited:
After playing more and more on the PS5 i think the controller gonna be the biggest difference between the 2 versions. The feedback and ergonomics of this controller is sooo much better than DS4 that even if the physics stay the same the game will feel 10x more alive. I always complained about DS4 and how lifeless it felt in GTS after coming from Forza games playing with Xbox Elite controller. The feedback and trigger where soo much better that you literally can feel the car loosing grip each tire with the Elite. Now that PS5 got a even better controller feedback and triggers i can't imagine how GT7 gonna feel.

They don't, because no Gran Turismo game has received updates anywhere near as long as GTA 5. Gran Turismo 6 is roughly the same age as GTA 5, and Polyphony shut down the servers on that one nearly four years ago. If GT7 is still going as the latest iteration of the franchise in nine years, then sure, they can reasonably look at discontinuing support. But we all know that's never going to be the case.

If there's a Spec 2 for GT7 that introduces new features, it's expected that they will offer the same for the PS4. It's not expected to be performance equivalent, but it is expected to be feature equivalent. By choosing to release on two platforms they've locked themselves into supporting both of them. If they want to move to supporting PS5 only, I'd suggest that they release GT8 as a PS5 exclusive.
I don't see why GT7 can't be supported for more than 3 years, eventually moving to PS5 only.

I don't see why GT7 can't be supported for more than 3 years, eventually moving to PS5 only.
It can be supported for more than three years and it should be if you ask me, the GT5 server shutdown was not a good move and annoyed a lot of people. But GTA 5 shut down PS3/X360 support at the end of 2021. The game released in 2013. PS3 released in 2006. X360 released in 2005. Shutting down support is understandable - nothing lasts forever and eight years of support for such old hardware is well above and beyond the norm. If Polyphony shut down support for GT7 on PS4 in 2030 after PS6 is out, I've got absolutely no problem with that.

I don't even think there's a problem with only supporting a game for three years, but I think the damage to goodwill from dropping support for a still relevant platform while continuing to support another would outweigh any benefits. Especially when there's the option of releasing GT8 as PS5 only. If you publish a game on a platform, it's a reasonable expectation from the consumer that the company will support it.
Deceptive marketing you say huh? Kinda like when GT7 was announced as a PS5 exclusive title??

Honest question; would you be frantically clutching your PS4 to your chest had PD followed through with what was originally planned with this being a PS5 title and all?
I think you're under some misapprehensions about my position on some things.

1. I think GT7 should have been a PS5 exclusive. I think making it cross-platform was a bad move, and I think flip-flopping after announcing it as a PS5 exclusive was the worst possible way to do it. This is not the first time I've said this.

2. I don't own a PS4. Or a PS5. If I get GT7, it will be on PS5. I don't have a PS4 to clutch to anything, and I won't be buying one.

Even though I think that releasing cross-platform is a bad move, it's something that Polyphony have committed themselves to. Given that we're stuck with this bad decision on Polyphony's part, I don't think that people who choose to buy the game on the PS4 should be treated as second class citizens, even though I will never be one of them. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Isn't that wild? Someone holding an opinion that is not directly in their own self-interest?

I can empathise, because I know what it's like to not have an unlimited budget to buy gaming hardware. Some of these people may not be able to afford a new console. Everytime I see someone throw out the solution of "just buy a PS5" I see someone who just doesn't understand that money can be a struggle for people sometimes. Just because someone could afford a PS4 eight years ago, doesn't mean they can afford a PS5 now.

If you don't work for Sony or PD, why are you advocating for them to adopt anti-consumer practices? Do you think that it could never be you on the other side of this? Or are you just confident that you would happily buy a PS7 to continue to receive support for a game you bought on PS6?

It can be supported for more than three years and it should be if you ask me, the GT5 server shutdown was not a good move and annoyed a lot of people. But GTA 5 shut down PS3/X360 support at the end of 2021. The game released in 2013. PS3 released in 2006. X360 released in 2005. Shutting down support is understandable - nothing lasts forever and eight years of support for such old hardware is well above and beyond the norm. If Polyphony shut down support for GT7 on PS4 in 2030 after PS6 is out, I've got absolutely no problem with that.

I don't even think there's a problem with only supporting a game for three years, but I think the damage to goodwill from dropping support for a still relevant platform while continuing to support another would outweigh any benefits. Especially when there's the option of releasing GT8 as PS5 only. If you publish a game on a platform, it's a reasonable expectation from the consumer that the company will support it.

I think you're under some misapprehensions about my position on some things.

1. I think GT7 should have been a PS5 exclusive. I think making it cross-platform was a bad move, and I think flip-flopping after announcing it as a PS5 exclusive was the worst possible way to do it. This is not the first time I've said this.

2. I don't own a PS4. Or a PS5. If I get GT7, it will be on PS5. I don't have a PS4 to clutch to anything, and I won't be buying one.

Even though I think that releasing cross-platform is a bad move, it's something that Polyphony have committed themselves to. Given that we're stuck with this bad decision on Polyphony's part, I don't think that people who choose to buy the game on the PS4 should be treated as second class citizens, even though I will never be one of them. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Isn't that wild? Someone holding an opinion that is not directly in their own self-interest?

I can empathise, because I know what it's like to not have an unlimited budget to buy gaming hardware. Some of these people may not be able to afford a new console. Everytime I see someone throw out the solution of "just buy a PS5" I see someone who just doesn't understand that money can be a struggle for people sometimes. Just because someone could afford a PS4 eight years ago, doesn't mean they can afford a PS5 now.

If you don't work for Sony or PD, why are you advocating for them to adopt anti-consumer practices? Do you think that it could never be you on the other side of this? Or are you just confident that you would happily buy a PS7 to continue to receive support for a game you bought on PS6?
Perfect. Then we have more in common than we thought. I am of the exact same mindset as you. I don’t think that GT7 should have ever been a cross platform release. I also didn’t become part of the PS5 club till very recently. I tried for a very long time and couldn’t find one. I do however, think the game should have been delayed until more consoles became available. Or released on time and if you don’t have a PS5, you don’t get to play GT7. I was prepared for that….and ok with it. Knowing that PS5’s would be available sooner or later.

PD going cross platform, although many disagree with it, makes the most financial sense for Sony and PD. I too, am also “understanding” of that.

Where I will differ from you though…is I think it’s absolutely ridiculous to support old hardware any longer than they absolutely have to. Sooner or later they have to move on bot the consumer, Sony, and PD alike. And it’ll probably happen when cross platform games start cannibalizing console sales…because the supply caught up to the demand. That makes financial sense. And financial sense is what these companies base all their decisions on. Not some “rose-colored-good-will-brand loyalty” crap of yesteryear. That business model went out the window decades ago. Right around when social media took off…and it was accelerated in 2009 when iPhones came out. That’s when you can trace back countless cultural shifts….MAINLY CONSUMER habits and all the associated advertising, ad targeting, profile-building, analytics, blah, blah, blah that goes with it. Companies are accountable to their stock holders and NO ONE ELSE. Nothing else matters. The only way we, the consumer matters is wether we buy the game or not.

Case and point. If single player blows again in GT for the second game in a row, my generation who grew up playing this franchise will walk. We’re older now. We have disposable income. And we are the target audience of this game. The young millennials and zennials (or whatever they’re called) are the outliers. Gen Xers and older millennials are the prime buyers of this game. (Fwiw, I don’t really care how good the single player content is, the AI is gonna blow anyways.)

As far as the anti-consumer viewpoints that I have??

I’m blue collar. I’m cheap. I grew up poor. I work really, really, REALLY hard for my money. - We all do…

Buuuut, I’m a capitalist and a realist.

People will go out of their way to get something they want. The video game powers that be know this. And when it’s beneficial for them to cut the umbilical cord on the PS4, they’ll do it in a heartbeat.

Besides, PD creating a ground-up brand new GT title in a few years makes little sense to even someone like me….who doesn’t really know about any of the behind the scenes nerd stuff that goes into making a game.

Perpetual updates makes a lot more sense financially, especially if PD is satisfied with the “bones” of the game.

What is transpiring now, and what will eventually transpire makes perfect business sense to me.

GT7 - for $50, anyone can play it!!!

———-> 1 year from now ——->

For a $20 update and a shiny, New, readily available console….. YOU TOO can enjoy the “latest” rendition of Gran Turismo!

Sony and PD are hedging their bets and they’re smart for it!

If there’s…say, 100 million dollars up for grabs in potential GT game and console sales, and they know that if they release GT7 as a PS5 only title when there’s not enough consoles to support it. They know they’ll Maaaaaaaaybe make 20 million and piss a bunch of people off who might leave the franchise altogether.

Or…. They give them a taste now. And when the time is right, they force you into a new console if you want the latest and greatest. Some will grumble and get a new console….most will just buy a new console…and a few will get pissed and leave.

But wallah!!!! You just get 80 million out of a possible 100 million people in potential revenue! ABSOLUTELY, FRIGGIN NO BRAINER from there perspective.

……and that too, makes a lot of sense to me.

We want companies like PD to keep being successful. Competition will inevitably come from other titles, and THAT is what’s going to drive their innovation. Loss of market share is what will drive PD and others to make better racing games.

And guess who wins ladies????

WE ALL DO!!! 😎

Perfect. Then we have more in common than we thought. I am of the exact same mindset as you. I don’t think that GT7 should have ever been a cross platform release. I also didn’t become part of the PS5 club till very recently. I tried for a very long time and couldn’t find one. I do however, think the game should have been delayed until more consoles became available. Or released on time and if you don’t have a PS5, you don’t get to play GT7. I was prepared for that….and ok with it. Knowing that PS5’s would be available sooner or later.

PD going cross platform, although many disagree with it, makes the most financial sense for Sony and PD. I too, am also “understanding” of that.

Where I will differ from you though…is I think it’s absolutely ridiculous to support old hardware any longer than they absolutely have to. Sooner or later they have to move on bot the consumer, Sony, and PD alike. And it’ll probably happen when cross platform games start cannibalizing console sales…because the supply caught up to the demand. That makes financial sense. And financial sense is what these companies base all their decisions on. Not some “rose-colored-good-will-brand loyalty” crap of yesteryear. That business model went out the window decades ago. Right around when social media took off…and it was accelerated in 2009 when iPhones came out. That’s when you can trace back countless cultural shifts….MAINLY CONSUMER habits and all the associated advertising, ad targeting, profile-building, analytics, blah, blah, blah that goes with it. Companies are accountable to their stock holders and NO ONE ELSE. Nothing else matters. The only way we, the consumer matters is wether we buy the game or not.

Case and point. If single player blows again in GT for the second game in a row, my generation who grew up playing this franchise will walk. We’re older now. We have disposable income. And we are the target audience of this game. The young millennials and zennials (or whatever they’re called) are the outliers. Gen Xers and older millennials are the prime buyers of this game. (Fwiw, I don’t really care how good the single player content is, the AI is gonna blow anyways.)

As far as the anti-consumer viewpoints that I have??

I’m blue collar. I’m cheap. I grew up poor. I work really, really, REALLY hard for my money. - We all do…

Buuuut, I’m a capitalist and a realist.

People will go out of their way to get something they want. The video game powers that be know this. And when it’s beneficial for them to cut the umbilical cord on the PS4, they’ll do it in a heartbeat.

Besides, PD creating a ground-up brand new GT title in a few years makes little sense to even someone like me….who doesn’t really know about any of the behind the scenes nerd stuff that goes into making a game.

Perpetual updates makes a lot more sense financially, especially if PD is satisfied with the “bones” of the game.

What is transpiring now, and what will eventually transpire makes perfect business sense to me.

GT7 - for $50, anyone can play it!!!

———-> 1 year from now ——->

For a $20 update and a shiny, New, readily available console….. YOU TOO can enjoy the “latest” rendition of Gran Turismo!

Sony and PD are hedging their bets and they’re smart for it!

If there’s…say, 100 million dollars up for grabs in potential GT game and console sales, and they know that if they release GT7 as a PS5 only title when there’s not enough consoles to support it. They know they’ll Maaaaaaaaybe make 20 million and piss a bunch of people off who might leave the franchise altogether.

Or…. They give them a taste now. And when the time is right, they force you into a new console if you want the latest and greatest. Some will grumble and get a new console….most will just buy a new console…and a few will get pissed and leave.

But wallah!!!! You just get 80 million out of a possible 100 million people in potential revenue! ABSOLUTELY, FRIGGIN NO BRAINER from there perspective.

……and that too, makes a lot of sense to me.

We want companies like PD to keep being successful. Competition will inevitably come from other titles, and THAT is what’s going to drive their innovation. Loss of market share is what will drive PD and others to make better racing games.

And guess who wins ladies????

WE ALL DO!!! 😎
That's a long-winded way to say "I'm just going to do whatever Sony and Polyphony want me to, here, take my wallet".

I want companies like PD to keep being successful, if they keep making good games and providing me value. I didn't buy GTS largely because of the catastrophe that was GT6. If they were to go the ActiBlizz and Ubisoft route of microtransactioning their players to death then you can cheer that on if you like but I don't have to. I've stopped playing games entirely for less.

And yeah, if you're encouraging that then you're anti-consumer. We don't all win. The companies win, and you've drunk enough of the Kool-Aid that you somehow think that being allowed to keep giving them money to manipulate you is "winning". Enjoy it, but it's not part of the world that I want to help creating and so I won't. I've got plenty of games to play from developers that are far more respectful of their players. I will happily support a company that communicates clearly and forthrightly with it's players over one that is trying to trick players through the door so that they can hook them on sunk-cost fallacies.

Instead of playing psychological tricks, how about just make a good game? Or is that too much to expect from Polyphony? Just because it's common for games companies to pull this shady ****, doesn't mean you have to just sit there and eat it up. Grow a pair.

That's a long-winded way to say "I'm just going to do whatever Sony and Polyphony want me to, here, take my wallet".

I want companies like PD to keep being successful, if they keep making good games and providing me value. I didn't buy GTS largely because of the catastrophe that was GT6. If they were to go the ActiBlizz and Ubisoft route of microtransactioning their players to death then you can cheer that on if you like but I don't have to. I've stopped playing games entirely for less.

And yeah, if you're encouraging that then you're anti-consumer. We don't all win. The companies win, and you've drunk enough of the Kool-Aid that you somehow think that being allowed to keep giving them money to manipulate you is "winning". Enjoy it, but it's not part of the world that I want to help creating and so I won't. I've got plenty of games to play from developers that are far more respectful of their players. I will happily support a company that communicates clearly and forthrightly with it's players over one that is trying to trick players through the door so that they can hook them on sunk-cost fallacies.

Instead of playing psychological tricks, how about just make a good game? Or is that too much to expect from Polyphony? Just because it's common for games companies to pull this shady ****, doesn't mean you have to just sit there and eat it up. Grow a pair.

🤣 Bwahahahahahahahahahaha! 🤣

It’s called free market capitalism champ! No one is holding a gun to your head forcing you to buy, or not to buy anything! The only reason for my long-winded answer, was to provide context on how the REAL business WORLD actually works. Not some fantasy world we all wished existed.

Like I said, I’m a blue collar guy who’s not even college educated. But education doesn’t guarantee critical thinking skills…. And understanding how the world works ain’t rocket science.

The only reasons why I support Gran Turismo, is because from my perspective, GT is the best all around racing game out there despite its flaws and my personal quips with the franchise. And it goes without saying that my personal perspective….. is completely subjective.

If something better (for me) comes along, then I’ll put my hard-earned dollars towards that.

And it’s all good either way buddy! The consumers are the ultimate judge and jury wether a product sells, or if a business model is successful.

Last edited:
Why should they drop support on the PS4 version? The age of the hardware is almost irrelevant, they are releasing brand new software this year, not 2013. If they're releasing two versions of the same product on the same day it's only right that both get equal support, unless clearly stated otherwise beforehand.

Back