Gran Turismo 7: Latest news and discussion thread

• Thread starter sems4arsenal
  • 42,075 comments
2026 is honestly far too early to expect GT8. 4 years, is not a realistic cycle, for a game like this, these days.
That is for entirely new games. I assume GT8 will be the continued development of GT7 just as GT7 was the continued development of GT Sport.

If Sony/PD wants GT8 in 2026 that’s very much possible IMO. The underlying core of the game can be the one from GT7 but with a new menu structure and singleplayer campaign wrapped around it.

If it would make sense to release GT8 in 2026 is another thing. It would make more sense to have it as a launch title for the PS6 I believe.

When there wasn’t going to be a content update in June, one of GT’s social media accounts explained that the next update was going to be revealed in Montreal the following month. This time there’s silent treatment.

It suggests it was never about good communication and keeping the community informed. They only wanted to hype up the Montreal event and bait more people into watching it.

We're not entitled to monthly updates though and at no time did PD say or imply that there would be an udpdate every month.

I know this is how it played out often especially during GTS, but that was a very different situation / game release.

I personally do absolutely not expect them to communicate non-updates. Announcing updates will suffice.

But don't get me wrong - I'm just as disappointed as everybody else when PD skip a month. :)

I'm starting to buy more into the theory they're getting ready for the ps5 pro announcement with a patch to take advantage of it.

Any Pro-focused update would be completely irrelevant to the overwhelming majority of the userbase, so I really hope that’s not happening.

(Using the PS4 Pro as comparison, it had about a 25% share of the PS4 sales during its lifetime, in a more favourable economic environment)

Last edited:
Any Pro-focused update would be completely irrelevant to the overwhelming majority of the userbase, so I really hope that’s not happening.
Just adding to that, and despite fetching one... , I hate what pro consoles are doing to game developers.
Adding another layer of potential bugs, and in the beginning performance gains are merely coming down to hardware, whereas tons of optimizations would still be in the software.

There were games that crashed on PS4Pro while running fine on PS4,
there were games "optimized for Pro" that barely at all where running on PS4.
This definitly will continue, observing that ever more developers, for crunch(lack of time), lazyness, or lack of skills just cant produce decently good code anymore.

Just adding to that, and despite fetching one... , I hate what pro consoles are doing to game developers.
Adding another layer of potential bugs, and in the beginning performance gains are merely coming down to hardware, whereas tons of optimizations would still be in the software.

There were games that crashed on PS4Pro while running fine on PS4,
there were games "optimized for Pro" that barely at all where running on PS4.
This definitly will continue, observing that ever more developers, for crunch(lack of time), lazyness, or lack of skills just cant produce decently good code anymore.
Games and engines scale completely differently these days. Especially now where consoles are way closer to PC architecture anyway and most games run on engines like Unreal engine that have loads of scalability built in.

Also your line about "lazyness, or lack of skills just cant produce decently good code anymore."... cmon man.

Also your line about "lazyness, or lack of skills just cant produce decently good code anymore."... cmon man.
Might sound a bit unfair, especially when one is in the position to talk without any experience, but ... you cant have obvious bugs in a patch release, just do it properly and then push it to the gamers.
Not even talking about that skyrocketing cars, but more like having a look at Helldivers 2 exceptional long (and long lasting) known issues list that increases with every update by things that have been added just that very update.
Compared to that GT7 is a tame game.

Games and engines scale completely differently these days.
Sorry, cant see the relation of scaling of game engines or size of a game to quality when there are small gaming studios delivering said quality on games that are larger than their workforce would make believe. Is it a matter of skill or time? Does it even matter? No, it doesnt, it just shows it would be possible and ideally should be the standard to stick to instead of pleasing shareholders and making gamers cry in anguish every weak/month.

We're not entitled to monthly updates though and at no time did PD say or imply that there would be an udpdate every month.

I know this is how it played out often especially during GTS, but that was a very different situation / game release.

I personally do absolutely not expect them to communicate non-updates. Announcing updates will suffice.

But don't get me wrong - I'm just as disappointed as everybody else when PD skip a month. :)
I know monthly content updates are not a given, and I also don’t expect communication from them. My point was that GT’s social media employees only communicate when it suits their own interests. Last time there were people being awestruck by the fact that they openly communicated something about the next update before it was announced. The current situation shows it meant nothing in terms of openness. They just used people’s anticipation for a June update to promote the Montreal event in July.

Back in the old days, games fit on a couple floppy disks or a 4 or 8 meg game cart and it wasn't all that uncommon for them to release with game-breaking bugs that couldn't be patched at all. I think there's some decent coders out there still...

Decent coders are still out there. They're just hamstrung by the environments they have to code in. Triple A games nowadays require thousands of people, from art down to localisation, getting them out the door without a single problem is impossible.

Crunch culture, the recent economic downturn in the games industry, all contribute. Tell a coder to go above and beyond when they don't know where the food on the table will be at the end of it.

While it is true they never actually said "expect monthly updates", we rarely don't get one, in general the formula is pretty consistent. And their choice of naming them by month doesn't help either. So it makes sense people expect an update every month, and PD are definitely aware of that. It definitely wouldn't hurt if they communicated it somehow, for example, the way they did it with July update works pretty well, some post like "Hey, we don't have anything for you right now, but expect info about the next update [insert time or event here]".

Not really a huge problem, surely no one's going to die from unfulfilled expectations of an update, but would be nice to see something like that from PD.

Based on the fact that we shouldn’t always expect an update every month (and fair enough on that), I wonder how many more updates can we expect for the remainder of 2024?

If I had to hazard a guess, I’d go for:
  • 2 CONTENT updates (Cars, Scapes, maybe a Track etc)
  • 3 FIX updates (Bug fixes etc)

Would love to know other people’s opinions on this - this is purely guesswork on my part.

Games and engines scale completely differently these days. Especially now where consoles are way closer to PC architecture anyway and most games run on engines like Unreal engine that have loads of scalability built in.

Then GT7 should have been a PS5 exclusive

How many ps5 games were exclusive at that point?
"Hey, everyone is doing not an exlusive title right now, we should change our plans and follow step"
This is basically the only time PD ever was influenced by decisions made by other companies then?

Not a good argument to make.

"Hey, everyone is doing not an exlusive title right now, we should change our plans and follow step"
This is basically the only time PD ever was influenced by decisions made by other companies then?

Not a good argument to make.
What I'm saying is playstation was still in transition from ps4 at that point in early 2022. Couple that with the stock issues on ps5 at the time, financial sense would say it need a ps4 version as well.

The PS4 version is essentially just a cut down, "limited" version of the PS5 game. I don't see anything about GT7 that suggests it was "held back" by not being PS5 exclusive. What difference would "PS5 exclusive" have made?

The PS4 version is essentially just a cut down, "limited" version of the PS5 game. I don't see anything about GT7 that suggests it was "held back" by not being PS5 exclusive. What difference would "PS5 exclusive" have made?
I would imagine PS4 is slowing down content a bit, they definitely have to work backwards to make sure that the assets run on an inferior console, making the creation pipeline take longer.
This has been pretty heavily implied by an environmental artist for GT7 on Twitter, so I don't think it's a stretch to say.

I would imagine PS4 is slowing down content a bit, they definitely have to work backwards to make sure that the assets run on an inferior console, making the creation pipeline take longer.
This has been pretty heavily implied by an environmental artist for GT7 on Twitter, so I don't think it's a stretch to say.
I suppose. You'd think at this point they'd have that process pretty stream lined. I just don't think the situation with GT7 would be much different now were it PS5 exclusive.

Back