Gran Turismo 7 Physics

Do you want more detailed and realistic physics on the next GT

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
FWD cars will lift-off oversteer and can be recovered for it.
I'm happy to read this, turns out I was right and it wasn't just awful/weird driving induced, they are more lively!

You guys don't realize how much this is game changing for FWD enthusiasts as in past GTs the FWD cars always felt planted unless you flicked them very hard for them to break rear grip... Hope now rear toe changes will actually affect the behavior!
What I also noticed (only from footage) is not every FWD oversteers the same way, like irl... An FK8 will be very stable, a Clio 4 RS will be more "tail happy", any confirmation?

I would love some people to compare every FWD possible on the same track, with proper clean driving, and also to try things on the limit to compare extreme behaviors

Alright, so my take on the physics.

For context, been playing racing games since the original GT back in 1997. Played every mainline GT title except GT3/4. Played everything from arcade to sim. Burnout, NFS, GRID/DIRT/F1, GPL, RBR, rFactor, AMS, AC/ACC, LFS, you name it. In GT Sport I was a DR A, laptimes around 2-3 secs off the top times, have over 600+ online races and 1000+ in game days. Driven IRL for 18 years, never raced but have done go-karting, rally school and track days (on road and slick tyres). Been using Logitech G25 for sim racing since 2008, and switched to TGT in 2017 when GTS came out.

So far in GT7, I've completed all 6 Music Rally, done the 3 compact car race, done all licenses up to International A (only Super left). So I've driven quite a wide variety of cars, tyres, tracks and some wet tests.

I'm gonna break the physics down to 4 parts:

1) Weight transfer - MUCH better than before. Cars feel weighty and will bite you if you're not smooth and careful with transitions. Even on seemingly innocuous corners like the esses on Tokyo East, you can get out of shape very quickly if you don't take the slight camber in the road into account when braking.

2) Suspension - also MUCH improved than before. Main issue with previous GTs are overdamped suspension. It's very hard to upset the car just with a Scandinavian flick for example. Now the suspension are more "freed". Kerbs upset the car a lot. Driving off track on grass is also bumpier. Dipping 2 wheels on gravel at Willow Springs = instant trip to Narnia. Rally track jumps are properly terrifying if you don't get the landing right. So far so good right?

3) Tyres - unfortunately, this is where it all comes crashing down. The single biggest problem with GT7 is the rear tyre grip. Fronts are ok. Rears feel like every car is on Comfort Hards. I bought the R34 GT-R with my preorder credits, and on the 2nd corner at Maggiore Center, I spun at about 40 km/h. This is a 4WD car on Sport Hards. So far, all FR/MR/4WD road cars exhibit this behaviour. The only ones that don't are FF and race cars with downforce/slicks. Problem is much worse in the rain. I literally got gold on all of the license tests first try, but hit a wall in the IB6 license (E30 M3 on RBR rain). I had to resort to using TCS just to pass. Any steering angle = instant death. I have alleviated the problem somewhat by lowering Controller Sensitivity to -2 (despite what the game says, for me it does make a difference even on a wheel), FFB Strength to 1 (for easy countersteering) and FFB Sensitivity to 1 (to dampen any small movement as much as possible). Honestly, I'd say it's borderline unplayable now. Even the notorious Grand Prix Legends is easier to drive than this. It's a shame because the previous 2 points are so good.

4) FFB - mostly, it's the same as GT Sport. Understeer still produces chatter instead of the wheel lightening. Almost zero road feel. In fact, going over kerbs now produces less rumble than before. Going over the orange sausage kerbs at Maggiore esses - zilch. Honestly, it's baffling how they managed to make this worse.

Other general stuff:

- TCS does feel more granular than before (by that I mean it's not as rough in cutting the throttle and you don't lose as much speed with TC1). Though my judgment might have been coloured by the rear grip issue above (and I never use TCS in any GT before).

- ABS Weak is actually usable now and in fact may be the fastest setting instead of Default. The feeling of Weak is similar to ABS 1 in GT5/6, while Default feels like you're giving up too much braking force. ABS Off is also usable and you can modulate the brakes (in GTS once you lock, it's very hard to unlock even if you reduce brake pressure). So big plus on this side.

- Forced gear shift delay in road/old cars is still atrocious.

- Wet driving generally feels the same as GTS. Still very poor sense of grip compared to real life and ACC. Puddles do make you aquaplane (and your HUD wetness indicator shows a sudden blue bar), but in ACC at least there's a little warning "tug" in the FFB before you lose the car. In GT7 it just happens in the snap of a finger, no info at all from the numb FFB.

In Summary:

(+) Weight transfer, suspension, TCS and ABS much better than before. FF cars and Race cars are genuinely fun to drive and chuck around now. No more terminal understeer and the cars feel alive over bumps.

(-) Unfortunately, every other car suffers from instant oversteer with any steering angle. I'm genuinely concerned that there is a bug with the rear tyre physics. It is really the only blemish on the game, but it's a damn big one and I hope PD patches it (without touching anything else). Ditto with FFB effects over kerbs. If they do that, honestly I will not complain about physics in GT again. But as for right now, the driving enjoyment is just not there for me :(

What driving FR/MR/4WD cars in GT7 feels like:

Last edited:
Alright, so my take on the physics.

For context, been playing racing games since the original GT back in 1997. Played every mainline GT title except GT3/4. Played everything from arcade to sim. Burnout, NFS, GRID/DIRT/F1, GPL, RBR, rFactor, AMS, AC/ACC, LFS, you name it. In GT Sport I was a DR A, laptimes around 2-3 secs off the top times, have over 600+ online races and 1000+ in game days. Driven IRL for 18 years, never raced but have done gokarting and done some track days (on road and slick tyres) and rally school. Been using Logitech G25 for sim racing since 2008, and switched to TGT in 2017 when GTS came out.

So far in GT7, I've completed all 6 Music Rally, done the 3 compact car race, done all licenses up to International A (only Super left). So I've driven quite a wide variety of cars, tyres, tracks and some wet tests.

I'm gonna break the physics down to 4 parts:

1) Weight transfer - MUCH better than before. Cars feel weighty and will bite you if you're not smooth and careful with transitions. Even on seemingly innocuous corners like the esses on Tokyo East, you can get out of shape very quickly if you don't take the slight camber in the road into account when braking.

2) Suspension - also MUCH improved than before. Main issue with previous GTs are overdamped suspension. It's very hard to upset the car just with a Scandinavian flick for example. Now the suspension are more "freed". Kerbs upset the car a lot. Driving off track on grass is also bumpier. Dipping 2 wheels on gravel at Willow Springs = instant trip to Narnia. Rally track jumps are properly terrifying if you don't get the landing right. So far so good right?

3) Tyres - unfortunately, this is where it all comes crashing down. The single biggest problem with GT7 is the rear tyre grip. Fronts are ok. Rears feel like every car is on Comfort Hards. I bought the R34 GT-R with my preorder credits, and on the 2nd corner at Maggiore Center, I spun at about 40 km/h. This is a 4WD car on Sport Hards. So far, all FR/MR/4WD road cars exhibit this behaviour. The only ones that don't are FF and race cars with downforce/slicks. Problem is much worse in the rain. I literally got gold on all of the license tests first try, but hit a wall in the IB6 license (E30 M3 on RBR rain). I had to resort to using TCS just to pass. Any steering angle = instant death. I have alleviated the problem somewhat by lowering Controller Sensitivity to -2 (despite what the game says, for me it does make a difference even on a wheel), FFB Strength to 1 (for easy countersteering) and FFB Sensitivity to 1 (to dampen any small movement as much as possible). Honestly, I'd say it's borderline unplayable now. Even the notorious Grand Prix Legends is easier to drive than this. It's a shame because the previous 2 points are so good.

4) FFB - mostly, it's the same as GT Sport. Understeer still produces chatter instead of the wheel lightening. Almost zero road feel. In fact, going over kerbs now produces less rumble than before. Going over the orange sausage kerbs at Maggiore esses - zilch. Honestly, it's baffling how they managed to make this worse.

Other general stuff:

- TCS does feel more granular than before (by that I mean it's not as rough in cutting the throttle and you don't lose as much speed with TC1). Though my judgment might have been coloured by the rear grip issue above (and I never use TCS in any GT before).

- ABS Weak is actually usable now and in fact may be the fastest setting instead of Default. The feeling of Weak is similar to ABS 1 in GT5/6, while Default feels like you're giving up too much braking force. ABS Off is also usable and you can modulate the brakes (in GTS once you lock, it's very hard to unlock even if you reduce brake pressure). So big plus on this side.

- Forced gear shift delay in road/old cars is still atrocious.

- Wet driving generally feels the same as GTS. Still very poor sense of grip compared to real life and ACC. Puddles do make you aquaplane (and your HUD wetness indicator shows a sudden blue bar), but because there's very little grip everywhere anyway, the effect is not quite as pronounced as in Forza/ACC. I also haven't felt the steering wheel pulling to one side when driving through a puddle, but I haven't driven through a really big one on a straight so I can't 100% confirm this.

In Summary:

(+) Weight transfer, suspension, TCS and ABS much better than before. FF cars and race cars are genuinely fun to drive and chuck around now. No more terminal understeer and the cars feel alive over bumps.

(-) Unfortunately, every other car suffers from instant oversteer with any steering angle. I'm genuinely concerned that there is a bug with the rear tyre physics. It is really the only blemish on the game, but it's a damn big one and I hope PD patches it (without touching anything else). Ditto with FFB effects over kerbs. If they do that, honestly I will not complain about physics in GT again. But as for right now, the driving enjoyment is just not there for me :(

What driving FR/MR/4WD cars in GT7 feels like:

I agree there is something not right with the rear tire physics on cars that are stock, but have you tuned any car as yet and see if the help the oversteer ?.

CBH
I agree there is something not right with the rear tire physics on cars that are stock, but have you tuned any car as yet and see if the help the oversteer ?.
Not him obviously but I have the same gripe. Been using the FC RX7. Tried softening rear, both locking and unlocking the diff and nothing. It’s almost like it’s a bug. Rear is quite nice on entry and mid corner, off throttle but you breathe on the gas and it just yeets you.

Gentle flat out corners that wouldn’t register a thought in GTS just spin you without warning.

Is anyone else having the same extreme difficulty getting RWD cars to not spin out like I do? Or is it just me?

When I first booted up the game, I ran an RX-Vision GT3 around Tokyo South Inner Loop. At the docks, I could've sworn the AI punted me into a spin at the exact same spot where I transitioned into a left turn after the triple right hander. Watching the replay I see that wasn't the case, but it felt so sudden and random that it was no different from being punted!

RX-V GT3 default settings again, this time at Maggiore GP. At the fast left–right chicane right at the top of the hill just after banky boi, I spun again. I have no idea what the hell was going on. It's a flat out chicane at high speed in a GT3 car! How could I have spun? I don't get it!

The problem persists even in road cars. I took a something tame, an RX-8, which Jeremy Clarkson has described as "you can give it absolute hell, and it just never fights back". That thing too, was uncontrollable in the turns. Again, no warning, no feedback from tyre noise or FFB, just something that felt like me getting punted, or some rouge torque vectoring in my RWD car, and the spin was completely unrecoverable.

If anyone has driven the Stratos in GTS, I'd describe every RWD car in GT7 handling like that nightmare. There's no room for adjustment once you've dove into a corner. Throttle modulation is nonexistent, any throttle just aggravates the spin. It's impossible to shift weight over the rear tyres. Every car, from the rather stiff feeling S-FR to full blown GT3 racing machines, feel like they've the Leaning Tower of Pisa stapled above their boot lids.

I don't understand this physics engine at all. Is this supposed to be realistic? Easy for casuals to pick up on?

Someone PLEASE rationalise this mess for me because it's seriously making me despise this game.
Suddenly, from lazy, too easy to correct oversteer in the GTS, the game has gone abruptly in very difficult to correct oversteer in the GT7 where you become a passenger.
At the corner exit even with half throttle and you are gone and this is on dry track with MR car.

Last edited:
Not him obviously but I have the same gripe. Been using the FC RX7. Tried softening rear, both locking and unlocking the diff and nothing. It’s almost like it’s a bug. Rear is quite nice on entry and mid corner, off throttle but you breathe on the gas and it just yeets you.

Gentle flat out corners that wouldn’t register a thought in GTS just spin you without warning.
So tuning will not solve this even with your FC RX7 setup. I going to finsh all my license tests befor I start tuning and see for myself.

Last edited:
3 for Force Feedback max torque
1 for Force Feedback Sensitivity
TM GT T300rs with clutch and shifter TH8A
What are your force feedback settings on the firmware of the wheelbase? I am absolutely despising GT7 so far. Spinning out at 40kph in 2nd gear in corners I have never ever spun out before in GT5, GT6, GTSport or AC. It's as if the game is pulling random e-brakes on me or as if the load on the rear suspension of cars isn't being registered at all.

Saying day one on GT7 is the worst driving experience (driving physics wise on this wheelbase) i've ever experienced, is an understatement.

Last edited:
Saying day one on GT7 is the worst driving experience (driving physics wise on this wheelbase) i've ever experienced, is an understatement.
Seeing as how pretty much all of the best simracers on the planet seem to be lauding it as a substantial improvement I would say this is user error.

I'm actually stunned at how alive the road cars feel, they're all so fun to drive. In GTS you couldn't spin out even if you tried, this is much closer to sim than it is anything else.

It's so much fun.

Last edited:
Like, if you're in a road car and aggressively apexing on road tires and smash the throttle in an RWD car, the game reacts exactly how you would expect a car to react. Once you move onto slicks and better cars it becomes a non-issue.

CBH
So tuning will not solve this even with your FC RX7 setup. I going to finsh all my license tests befor I start tuning and see for myself.
I wouldn’t say I’m some great tuner but I couldn’t find a solution. I’ve since moved on the the Mitsu GTO and bizarrely 40/60 torque split is totally spinable but 50/50 is absurdly on rails.

I don’t think you can be fast on sport mode without FF or 50/50 4WD tbh

Seeing as how pretty much all of the best simracers on the planet seem to be lauding it as a substantial improvement I would say this is user error.

I'm actually stunned at how alive the road cars feel, they're all so fun to drive. In GTS you couldn't spin out even if you tried, this is much closer to sim than it is anything else.

It's so much fun.
Mate. Driving a stock Renault 5 turbo at 40kph in 2nd gear and losing total control of the rear-axle, coming out of a low-speed corner, after increasing throttle by just 2-5% without the wheel translating the shift of weigth to the user, is not normal. GT7's T300RS force feedback needs a patch, asap.

Mate, I'm 1 second of the pace of the aliens in any sim I play. This isn't normal 😕.

Last edited:
Mate. Driving a stock Renault 5 turbo at 40kph in 2nd gear and losing total control of the rear-axle, coming out of a low-speed corner, after increasing throttle by just 2-5% without the wheel translating the shift of weigth to the user, is not normal.

Mate, I'm 1 second of the pace of the aliens in any sim I play. This isn't normal
I don't know what to tell you, I'm 3k in iracing and do several leagues in ACC.

Again, literally every alien playing live right now is lauding the physics as a massive improvement, it's user error.

You very obviously got used to less realistic physics. GTS/PC2 is absolutely horrific in terms of realistic loss of control.

If you think this is "unrealistic" then you would get eaten alive in iracing rookies, as the mazdas and forumla vee are on ice skates comparatively.

Last edited:
@Skilly

I've already asked another T300 user who likes Gt7 physics to share their windows thrustmaster firmware force feedback settings so I can copy them and test those because I don't run factory settings on those in stead I use settings recommended by iRacing.

These settings had the force feedback for springs and damping on 0, constant and periodic on 100% with global force feedback from 65-75%.

After changing the springs back to default 100% in stead of 0, GT7 feels driveable but I've only just had 1 go at license iB-5 to compare with my previous firmware settings and the difference is insane.

Springs feedback on 0% as I had it made my car totally uncontrollable. With springs feedback back on 100% as it comes out of the box it feels completely different.

I think I have found my issue. I have my fingers crossed and will edit this post or reply again soon - am currently in-game.

Last edited:
It's kind of crazy how little self-awareness there is in here.

It is literally impossible to spin out in GTS, it's probably the most unrealistic thing about the game and people in here are unironially wishing for that to return.

I guess complaining is easier than learning how to drive lmao

The way the 370Z lost grip in the tiniest of transitions on Sports Hard tyres at a smidge over a British National Speed Limit doesn't seem quite right, but I think it's more to do with getting used to the analogue on the PS5.

Stop being so condescending if you can't be helpful.

I've already asked another T300 user who likes Gt7 physics to share their windows thrustmaster firmware force feedback settings so I can copy them and test those because I don't run factory settings on those in stead I use settings recommended by iRacing.

These settings had the force feedback for springs and damping on 0, constant and period ok 100% with global forge feedback from 65-75%.

After changing the springs back to default 100% in stead of 0, GT7 feels driveable but I've only just had 1 go at license iB-5 to compare with my previous firmware settings and the difference is insane.

Springs feedback on 0% as I had it made my car totally uncontrollable. With springs feedback back on 100% as it comes out of the box it feels completely different.

I think I have found my issue. I have my fingers crossed and will edit this post or reply again soon - am currently in-game.
oh my god lol

FFB has nothing to do with in-game physics...

this is unbelievable

oh my god lol

FFB has nothing to do with in-game physics...

this is unbelievable
Are you serious? All my input is based on the feedback I get while I'm driving.

I just shaved 4 seconds of a time I set 2hours ago.

Mate, go waste someone else's time if you have nothing to contribute.

Last edited:
After playing several hours I somewhat find the cars lose grip way too easy especially FR cars oversteering like crazy with the smalles amount of throttle even on sport tires. I felt that especially in the License test on suzuka with the NSX in the hairpain. Almost Impossible to get it straight out of that corner...
I also spun out several Times on high speed ring and blue moon bay in high speed corners. Suddenly the rear feels like on ice.

Re: the physics. I think a lot of opinion is just down to the game simply being different. But somehow to me it almost feels like a slight processing delay (ps4 user GT DD Pro). It feels slightly "numb" and by the time you have the ffb reaction it's too late.

However I have tried a GR3 car and a GR4 on hard slicks and while the first few laps were about discovering the different physics, by my 2nd race attempt I was pretty on it and only a couple of seconds off my GTS times on the same car/tyres/conditions, which was ok given that you can't use the kerbs anywhere near as much.

Edit: oh and TCS on 1 it massively intrusive to acceleration. I turned it off on the GR3 and was instantly much faster. Trouble is GT3 cars are designed for TC.

Maybe they'll patch it if they get too much negative feedback.

The road cars are unrealistically difficult. I've driven plenty of rwd cars in the wet and they may be twitchy but you don't go spearing off the road in a straight line when not even going through a puddle.

Last edited:
I dont have the game yet..., but from what i see visually from streams it seems PD got it right.

People where so used to GT sport that now they are overdriving the cars.., before the track limits was the barrier, but now grip limit exist and weight transfer/bumps/track angles also come to play.

Turbocharged cars also have a diferent temper, basecally its more similar to ACC, try drive the Jaguar or GT-R gr3 ones on ACC and its just like this.., that cars are beast and when turbo kicks in its almost instant tail happy with so much torque for tyres to handle.., really to to temper the car and always have the weight under control and align the cars in braking points.., no more sends and tailbrake all the way.

I got in a couple hours of playtime this morning before work. Unfortunately I lost a lot of seat time from being forced to do a Music Rally (boy is that a weird concept) and not being able to skip the intro LOL.

I am using the Fanatec GT DD Pro w/ boost kit and the WRC rim and the official Fanatec settings. I am a big fan of ACC and that's my benchmark for GT cars while Automobilista 2 is my benchmark for road cars (even though I didn't play it a whole lot I still felt AMS2 is superior to AC).

FFB is a slight improvement over GTS. A bit more nuanced but not a major overhaul. It's informative enough to do the job. I would rate the FFB as good but still quite a ways off from being very good or excellent. ACC FFB I rate as excellent.

I find the physics to be improved overall. The suspensions and weight transfer appear to be the two big factors in this improvement. Overall I feel GT7 to be much more intuitive and realistic than GTS. The FF cars are a joy to drive now whereas in GTS I wouldn't touch them with a ten-foot pole. I did a three-lap test at Brands Hatch with the pre-order GT3 Mazda and was pleased with the improvement over GTS. I need to test some more after getting further in career but these first laps gave me the impression that the way to approach GT3 cars is now closer to ACC than to what we have become accustomed to with previous Gran Turismos. I am glad that the brake pedal and steering inputs can no longer be abused without consequence, and it also appears that ABS weak could be viable alternative to default but I need a lot more time with the game before judging that. Ditto on TC. I found it much less intrusive than in GTS but will need to do a lot of testing to see how it's modeled and if it could help during a longer race. So for now I am playing with TC off just like in every previous GT game.

I am not liking the FR road cars. While the overall handling feels correct and in line with the improvements in the dynamic model, I believe it is way too easy to break traction. There's really nothing I need to say because others have already mentioned it. I don't find it realistic and I will save you all the time reading about my real-life driving experience. I'll just say I find the traction loss in rear wheel drive road cars to be exaggerated. It's not unplayable by any means but I find it to be an annoyance. It's not as easy to break traction in a RWD road car as some people think.

Overall I am satisfied and, quite frankly, a bit surprised PD have gone down this route. Driving must now be more precise and the more realistic handling punishes errors more. That coupled with the ice skating RWDs seems to fly in the face of the goal of an "accessible but realistic" racing game which has characterized GT since its inception. On the other hand, a lot of us were asking for this, and it seems PD has decided to go that route. I like it. It's a step forward.

Not physics-related, but I must say this game is a work of art. A passionate moving painting of car culture. This is a car encyclopedia for a new generation.

Oh, and the AI sucks.

I watched jimmy broadbent stream today. The physics seems in general pretty good on tarmac. The only thing I always notice in GT games is the attention to details in american car is never the same as JDM car. I own a C7 Corvette Z51 in real life. The car does more than 1.08g on figure 8. It' has tons of grip but yet driving it in GT feels like you are on ice. Maybe it's lack of feeling the G in real life or the lack of really feeling the tire that makes us pass the point where you are losing grip. You really have to be acting like an idiot to make a Corvette oversteer, specially one with the e-LSD and TCS enabled. The car is very stable and a joy to go on the track.

Oh well. It's never going to be perfect.
Yes, I fell it too. Powerful road rear-wheel drive cars still suck. Especially on “sport” tyres.

Last edited:
Even with ABS off the game limits the braking force you apply if you move the brake balance from position 0 and prevents the tires from locking.
This makes this setting and buying a brake balance controller useless.

Camaro ZL1 still can’t launch anywhere near close to the real life. With stock tyres (Sport Medium) I clock about 5 seconds 0-60, which is ridiculously slow.

Talking about physics and realism. Every single care that has been produce in the last 10 years has ABS. You can't turn this off. It's actually proven that it will stop a vehicle faster. So turning off ABS doesn't make it more realistic. After playing for about 2 hours last night. I still feel like the physics in GT7 still not where it needs to be. It's odd but the way the car loses grip seems disconnected. Unfortunately, this was with the DS5 controller so that might be my problem right there.

Back