Gran Turismo 7 Physics

Do you want more detailed and realistic physics on the next GT

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Adapt or die, especially if you are driving the Mustang GT. 😆

I went down a little dip on Trial Mountain in 3rd gear and still spun up the rear tires. Using SH tires.
Well. I mean, it's a Mustang GT, it's not that far from reality :-P (j/k)

Maybe the issue is the comfort tires are the low end quality rubber like the Motomaster branding or Continental. My Vette came with Michelin sports which I guess is the equivalent of sport medium. No one would be cheap rubber on a Vette. There is actually no manufacturer who makes them. I know I looked around. I had to buy Michelin for my All-season tires. (yes it's my daily driver)

Last edited:
Just tried on a controller. It’s like a completely different game. There’s a huge amount of counter steer going on. Way easier to stay on track.
Agree that the FFB is notably worse than sport. No kerb feedback at all sometimes. And just very violent lock up jarring when it spins out. Which is very often. God knows what an actual race would be like. Concentrating so hard on just getting through a corner. The mustang menu book is silly. The old 60s thing for the races basically have to come to a complete stop and gingerly crawl round the bend and then get pit manoeuvered by the AI and spun out anyway.
This isn’t racing, this is surviving.
Fanatec dd pro.

Last edited:
I have driven a 350R on track, a real one. Tyres were Michelin PS4 (ha!). SHED TONNES of grip, just tonnes. You're talking 525hp so you cannot just lay on the throttle out of corners but I was not driving on ice either, once you built some revs you could apply considerable throttle.

I have also driven a bog stock Miata with road rubber, you cannot break traction if you tried, it's like 190HP for god's sake and it is SO WELL SORTED. Only way to break traction is to be a complete and utter idiot.

Last edited:
Just tried on a controller. It’s like a completely different game. There’s a huge amount of counter steer going on. Way easier to stay on track.
Agree that the FFB is notably worse than sport. No kerb feedback at all sometimes. And just very violent lock up jarring when it spins out. Which is very often. God knows what an actual race would be like. Concentrating so hard on just getting through a corner. The mustang menu book is silly. The old 60s thing for the races basically have to come to a complete stop and gingerly crawl round the bend and then get pit manoeuvered by the AI and spun out anyway.
Fanatec dd pro.
The more people I hear say this, the more it reminds me of Forza. Made more for controller users than wheel users.

Yep. RWD physics are all over the place. I drive a 110bhp s660 in real life, I track it and hoon it everywhere and it simply doesn't break traction even with its TCS off.
Yet in gt7 is slides everywhere even at its Kei car power levels.

FWD physics are excellent now however. Dc2 Teggy matches my old real life Teggy quite well. Maybe a tad too wheel spinny compar d to real life but best FWD physics yet in a GT game.

for the wheel users, I watched a vid recently and the guy recommended putting the sensitivity down to1, I tried it and the ffb is a lot more precise and sensitive with its feed back.
Might not work as well for you as it doesn't center itself with it on 1.

It's probably because I was extremely tired last night (this morning ;) ) but just about any car that puts power to the rear tires seems to have incredibly sudden snap oversteer at weird times. And I'm talking about cars renowned for their handling, like the E46 M3 and ND MX-5.

Even a dependable 4WD based on an FF like the 2003 Audi TT will power-oversteer and snap around if provoked, without any hint of the rear wheels doing anything to find traction and grip. It's a bittersweet issue, as the FF cars are great fun now.

Feels like there is more grip with the controller.
It’s like two different games. I’m hopeless with a controller but had to use it for some license tests. I can literally barely navigate two corners with a wheel. Struggling big time.

TL;DR : The problem with rear tires loss of grip needs extensive testing. Many people complaining can't be for the sake of it, some come from other sims and have actual real life track experience. Does FWD cars improvement have something to do with this?

What would be the equivalent GT7 tires Randy Pobst was using in that C7 Corvette video? Was it stock? Was TC ON or OFF?
Btw Scaff's IB-1 video seems like he had TC ON, I think it would have been better with it being OFF so there's no direct or indirect thing interfering between the actual driving and tire behavior, since it's what people are reproaching.

(I have very limited knowledge about this, please try to understand before mis-interpreting anything, these are just my two cents about the matter.)

So, without going far in physics or GT's tires model and its many cons, we would have to actually understand why the rear tires are breaking traction like that
Longitudinal grip VS lateral grip right?
Did anyone test a certain tire's grip in a straight line standing start & and low speed rolling start? And try going into a corner while coasting? Also same car/corner/tires/conditions but applying different amounts of throttle input? (in low/medium/high speed corners, and both at higher & lower gears). What are the grip levels? Speed carried?

Did anyone try that C7 Corvette with the exact same conditions just putting Sport Medium or Sport Soft instead? How does it compare? (Same tests as above). Does it now have a bit too much longitudinal grip or lateral grip?
Again, same thing with some other road cars, stick to one drivetrain first. for example FR : trying old cars, modern cars, low HP, high HP... Then again with other drivetrains : MR, RR, 4WD, FF

I think these basic tests, which are very time consuming unfortunately, would be cool to help us understand what's the main problem so we can correctly address it to PD. If there are many people complaining about grip levels, especially rear ones, it can't be all driver related. Some of them have at least played AC with street tires (which isn't perfect by any means but still decent) and have experience on tracks irl so they have a clue about what they say so we should take everything into consideration if we want GT to improve

All I hope is, if PD corrects this issue, it won't affect the FWD cars negatively and take a step back to where they were. It's the first time there is a great improvement about FF cars, in fact I hope it isn't related to some "cheap trick" like making every car's rear tires less grippy instead of improvements in weight transfers lol. Well, it doesn't seem like it because they actually behave in a believable manner from what I've seen and you guys reported, not some brutal unexpected loss of the rear (this would have been the case if what they actually did was the "cheap trick"), but who knows lol

for the wheel users, I watched a vid recently and the guy recommended putting the sensitivity down to1, I tried it and the ffb is a lot more precise and sensitive with its feed back.
Might not work as well for you as it doesn't center itself with it on 1.
This applied to GTS as well. Also, that's what Fanatec recommends.

I'm glad I'm not the only one having this issue with RWD cars, and even with a 390HP NSX, where I'm barely doing 25% throttle, and the back end steps out on me, even with racing softs. Trying to do the American challenges to get the Mustangs, and I'm driving an older Corvette, with Racing Softs, just to stop the back end from sliding on an oval. With 15% throttle, minimal/smooth as I can be steering input, and the back end still steps out on me, on the banks.

I'm glad I'm not the only one having this issue with RWD cars, and even with a 390HP NSX, where I'm barely doing 25% throttle, and the back end steps out on me, even with racing softs. Trying to do the American challenges to get the Mustangs, and I'm driving an older Corvette, with Racing Softs, just to stop the back end from sliding on an oval. With 15% throttle, minimal/smooth as I can be steering input, and the back end still steps out on me, on the banks.
Oh god. I nearly gave up with that. It’s spinning out for no reason at like 60mph on a banked curve. The new mustang you win is even worse considering it’s relative age. Just locks up sideways at the merest hint of throttle. I can’t race or push, just roll around the corners so slowly that the ai catch me up and punt me off half the time. The game feels like a chore at the moment.

I got in a couple hours of playtime this morning before work. Unfortunately I lost a lot of seat time from being forced to do a Music Rally (boy is that a weird concept) and not being able to skip the intro LOL.

I am using the Fanatec GT DD Pro w/ boost kit and the WRC rim and the official Fanatec settings. I am a big fan of ACC and that's my benchmark for GT cars while Automobilista 2 is my benchmark for road cars (even though I didn't play it a whole lot I still felt AMS2 is superior to AC).

FFB is a slight improvement over GTS. A bit more nuanced but not a major overhaul. It's informative enough to do the job. I would rate the FFB as good but still quite a ways off from being very good or excellent. ACC FFB I rate as excellent.

I find the physics to be improved overall. The suspensions and weight transfer appear to be the two big factors in this improvement. Overall I feel GT7 to be much more intuitive and realistic than GTS. The FF cars are a joy to drive now whereas in GTS I wouldn't touch them with a ten-foot pole. I did a three-lap test at Brands Hatch with the pre-order GT3 Mazda and was pleased with the improvement over GTS. I need to test some more after getting further in career but these first laps gave me the impression that the way to approach GT3 cars is now closer to ACC than to what we have become accustomed to with previous Gran Turismos. I am glad that the brake pedal and steering inputs can no longer be abused without consequence, and it also appears that ABS weak could be viable alternative to default but I need a lot more time with the game before judging that. Ditto on TC. I found it much less intrusive than in GTS but will need to do a lot of testing to see how it's modeled and if it could help during a longer race. So for now I am playing with TC off just like in every previous GT game.

I am not liking the FR road cars. While the overall handling feels correct and in line with the improvements in the dynamic model, I believe it is way too easy to break traction. There's really nothing I need to say because others have already mentioned it. I don't find it realistic and I will save you all the time reading about my real-life driving experience. I'll just say I find the traction loss in rear wheel drive road cars to be exaggerated. It's not unplayable by any means but I find it to be an annoyance. It's not as easy to break traction in a RWD road car as some people think.

Overall I am satisfied and, quite frankly, a bit surprised PD have gone down this route. Driving must now be more precise and the more realistic handling punishes errors more. That coupled with the ice skating RWDs seems to fly in the face of the goal of an "accessible but realistic" racing game which has characterized GT since its inception. On the other hand, a lot of us were asking for this, and it seems PD has decided to go that route. I like it. It's a step forward.

Not physics-related, but I must say this game is a work of art. A passionate moving painting of car culture. This is a car encyclopedia for a new generation.

Oh, and the AI sucks.
Good read mate :cheers:.

I think PD has made the Traction Control System better for GT7, because other GT games I had no driving assist On when using my wheel. For GT7 having TCS assist all OFF the car feel to have more oversteer, set TCS on 1 and I get more traction but to me I get no speed loss. So I get a better lap time using TCS than without it, but it needs more testing.

For high powered road cars the TCS may control the oversteer where getting in GT7.

Have you turned the Counter Steer Driving Aid off?

I noticed this as I drive all aids off apart from TCS set to 1. But still quite a bit of counter steer, then I noticed there is a specific setting to be turned off.

TL;DR : The problem with rear tires loss of grip needs extensive testing. Many people complaining can't be for the sake of it, some come from other sims and have actual real life track experience. Does FWD cars improvement have something to do with this?

What would be the equivalent GT7 tires Randy Pobst was using in that C7 Corvette video? Was it stock? Was TC ON or OFF?
Btw Scaff's IB-1 video seems like he had TC ON, I think it would have been better with it being OFF so there's no direct or indirect thing interfering between the actual driving and tire behavior, since it's what people are reproaching.

(I have very limited knowledge about this, please try to understand before mis-interpreting anything, these are just my two cents about the matter.)

So, without going far in physics or GT's tires model and its many cons, we would have to actually understand why the rear tires are breaking traction like that
Longitudinal grip VS lateral grip right?
Did anyone test a certain tire's grip in a straight line standing start & and low speed rolling start? And try going into a corner while coasting? Also same car/corner/tires/conditions but applying different amounts of throttle input? (in low/medium/high speed corners, and both at higher & lower gears). What are the grip levels? Speed carried?

Did anyone try that C7 Corvette with the exact same conditions just putting Sport Medium or Sport Soft instead? How does it compare? (Same tests as above). Does it now have a bit too much longitudinal grip or lateral grip?
Again, same thing with some other road cars, stick to one drivetrain first. for example FR : trying old cars, modern cars, low HP, high HP... Then again with other drivetrains : MR, RR, 4WD, FF

I think these basic tests, which are very time consuming unfortunately, would be cool to help us understand what's the main problem so we can correctly address it to PD. If there are many people complaining about grip levels, especially rear ones, it can't be all driver related. Some of them have at least played AC with street tires (which isn't perfect by any means but still decent) and have experience on tracks irl so they have a clue about what they say so we should take everything into consideration if we want GT to improve

All I hope is, if PD corrects this issue, it won't affect the FWD cars negatively and take a step back to where they were. It's the first time there is a great improvement about FF cars, in fact I hope it isn't related to some "cheap trick" like making every car's rear tires less grippy instead of improvements in weight transfers lol. Well, it doesn't seem like it because they actually behave in a believable manner from what I've seen and you guys reported, not some brutal unexpected loss of the rear (this would have been the case if what they actually did was the "cheap trick"), but who knows lol
The car, In reality, runs with TC. Running its in line with the real car.

CBH
Good read mate :cheers:.

I think PD has made the Traction Control System better for GT7, because other GT games I had no driving assist On when using my wheel. For GT7 having TCS assist all OFF the car feel to have more oversteer, set TCS on 1 and I get more traction but to me I get no speed loss. So I get a better lap time using TCS than without it, but it needs more testing.

For high powered road cars the TCS may control the oversteer where getting in GT7.
This is really so weird, why the RWD cars start to spin out on banked corners so much. Even small low powered cars like the MX5.

FF and AWD feels fine though.

The problem is when you have any RWD car. I’m racing in the dailies with the Mitsubishi GTO and it feels good. Back to trying to survive the « mustang collection » menu book. Even with all the assists turned on, it feels absolutely terrible. I really hope they fix that ASAP because the game is a bit broken at the moment.

:lol:The car, In reality, runs with TC. Running its in line with the real car.
Assuming the TC is modeled correctly.

But yes, moving forward I am going to activate TCS on all cars that have it in the real world and see how it goes. It hasn't slowed down my daughter any as she beat a few of my license gold times. And I'm a DR A driver 😅.

Dunno. Im using a DS4 and building an N2 AE86(widebody, roll cage, 15” wheels and racing exhaust at the moment). I’ve got the Racing Suspension and running on CM tyres. Doing the Tokyo Menu races and I’m very precise with the steering in this car.

The stock BRZ STI I used, in the wet, was good too. I feel PD at least got everything right for this controller user.

I just got far enough to unlock multiplayer and so far I love the physics. Fanatec CSL Elite with load cell brakes.

It feels good to be able to control the car through nuance. I'm rarely ever full throttle in the road cars. The weight transfer feels really good.

I'll start the next set of licenses after dinner so I can see what people are on about regarding the ovals.

I fear that the high downforce race cars won't be as fun to drive, which would be the opposite of how I felt in GTS.

TCS on 0 the whole time, by the way.

Last edited:
Interesting observation. I feel the exact opposite. I felt the Mazda GT3 was closer to ACC than GTS.
Can't wait to try it. I have the preorder Gr3 Supra but I'm desperately trying to unlock all the tracks in case my buddy comes over this weekend. I'm also being very stingy with my credits until I can afford two of my childhood dream cars.

you cannot break traction if you tried,
Only way to break traction is to be a complete and utter idiot.
Confused Thinking GIF by MOODMAN

I just got far enough to unlock multiplayer and so far I love the physics. Fanatec CSL Elite with load cell brakes.

It feels good to be able to control the car through nuance. I'm rarely ever full throttle in the road cars. The weight transfer feels really good.

I'll start the next set of licenses after dinner so I can see what people are on about regarding the ovals.

I fear that the high downforce race cars won't be as fun to drive, which would be the opposite of how I felt in GTS.

TCS on 0 the whole time, by the way.
High downforce cars are really fun.

Back