Gran Turismo 7 Physics

Do you want more detailed and realistic physics on the next GT

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Any feedback about dirt tracks? I feel the car now is more stable and less slippery. But Im afraid that's just a placebo effect.
Nope. Never managed to win them 3 dirt races, no matter what. Kept bouncing and unde/over steering, wheel going mad in my hands and today, puff... smooth and controlled drifting, all done at first try!

What is changed a lot is steering too. There is something a lil off with steering map in my opinion,because i feel i have to steer slight more than what i should.
But overall we have big improvements, because now steer is a lot more free,we can be a lot more aggressive on it but with more precision needed, doing more correction (as irl) where before there was a kinda "understeer filter".

I just tested the game with controller and even if i think is the most enjoyable driving game on controller (FM with its deadzone and not linear input don't reach GT level on controller),i think that in comparision to wheel the experience is totally shallow. I can feel users who blame about understeer but actually,for what i remember, It was the same before patch.

Last edited:
I will start out with a couple notes.
I've only been playing GT7 for a couple weeks, and on a PS4pro.
My driving style is very smooth... (compared to friends I've played with, live, in the same room, at that same time, and from what I see in typical "daily races").
I have a cheap wheel (T150) and possibly the cheapest load cell pedals on market (T-LCM).
This update, has made everything more realistic, IMO/limited-experience... from having driven in real life for over 40 years, and a great deal of that was during ownership of "relatively" high performance road vehicles, and only ever once drove an SCCA prep'd/built fox body mustang... not mine, friends, private track test day... whatever that is worth.

IMO ... everything is closer to real life.

Speaking on wheel (t300) i find a way better ffb, more direct and free, a wider slip angle, a more realistic weight shift on and off throttle.
I don't feel there is more understeer than before while cornering, but the opposite, even if maybe should be less.
Agree, I can now break much harder/later, trail breaking is much more realistic... a "slight" grip-slip front or rear is easily caught with "minor" corrections (like in the real world) while big slips still send you into the abyss ... whereas before any slip event was almost certain to send you into the abyss.
Previously, it was near impossible to rag a gear through a corner without inducing under steer, but, now I can carry a gear higher than I previously had to through a corner, without inducing the "artificial" under steer... allowing a more realistic corner entry, mid corner, and corner exit... I no longer need to bang the downshifts and "game" the corner to make it through clean and efficiently... speed/brake release alone seems to control car behavior, whereas before 1.49 current gear selection seemed to have more an effect on vehicle control than either of the other 2... more realist/relevant events.

Anyone having problems loosing car under braking, it now correctly requires car to be settled and pointing straight before HARD braking.

This is not a physics fault but will feel odd to anyone not used to braking in this way.
I am loving the new dynamics of breaking, and trail breaking... IMO both seem more related to reality. I never got the feel of the breaking dynamics since GT4... today all of a sudden I am breaking much later with much more confidence/control.
I recall an interview with Lewis Hamilton (whom I am not a fan of for many different reasons that are purely outside his talents) regarding GTs... where he made a comment something along the lines of... "ya, you need to break in a straight line..."
I mean sure there is trail breaking... but, that is the last %... unlike previously in the game.

Gr.3 458 and some paddle-shifted road cars, as I still need to reconfigure my ergos for my shifter/hand brake setup.

It’s a massive improvement. It’s harder. It takes more finesse with your inputs just like IRL.
I have been running the 458 Gr.3 as well, and I cannot believe how improved it is with regards to predictability. controlability, and recovery...
I'm off to run my Aston Gr.3... cannot wait for it.

What is changed a lot is steering too. There is something a lil off with steering map in my opinion,because i feel i have to steer slight more than what i should.
But overall we have big improvements, because now steer is a lot more free,we can be a lot more aggressive on it but with more precision needed, doing more correction (as irl) where before there was a kinda "understeer filter".

I just tested the game with controller and even if i think is the most enjoyable driving game on controller (FM with its deadzone and not linear input don't reach GT level on controller),i think that in comparision to wheel the experience is totally shallow. I can feel users who blame about understeer but actually,for what i remember, It was the same before patch.
Over in the praiano tunes thread... Speculation suggests like damper toe and camber settings are still not as effective as they could be. Maybe that will br changed in the next few updates. But what has chnaged is great. Tyres are overall much more realistic in grip loss and gain. This will upset many of the tunes people have made. Likely Stiffer springs will be required.

Seems wheel users report enjoying the new ohysics whereas the controller users report weird handling. Perhaps controller settings and sensitivity was also changed or ackerman was changed. I wonder how different stability control and traction control works on road cars now. Regardless tire physics are definetly more realistic than before. Though itll be a few more updates likely before the new physics gets polished up.

Further rumination: I would say the previous update is like the end of the previous generation of gt7 physics. They were polished for that generation, but there was a little something missing. But now with the new update we have almost the feeling of a new generation of physics and will take some more updates (time) before it too is polished all round and sorted out. Betting on Toe, camber and damper physics to be updated by 2026 .

Last edited:
Okay, I have a lot to say.

I took the Porsche 962 around Catalunya and I didn't really notice much of a difference. I thought that there was maybe a bit of extra feedback through the controller, but I couldn't feel a wholesale change. I then decided to give the Mercedes AMG GT3 '20 a go and within about 30 seconds, I noticed a difference. I booted it out of turn 3 a bit too early and the rear end unloaded itself. I tried to catch it but the car didn't respond as quickly as I anticipated, so I shot off to the left and went into the gravel pit. The car eventually responded to my countersteer but it was too late. The car got really heavy as this occurred. This revealed a few things to me: if you try to drive through the slide, a la Danica Patrick at Kansas, you will crash. In order to get the car back on course, you have to lift right out of the throttle and let the tyres regain grip - just like ACC. You don't want to do this though because it costs you a lot of time. Smooth driving is rewarded much more now because if you do overstep the mark, you will get punished. The tyres act more like actual rubber now, so you need to be a bit more patient with them. However the most thrilling part of the physics is dancing on the ragged edge. In the 430 Scuderia on Tokyo Expressway, you get a real kick out of it because you can feel that the car is on the edge of out of control. This is where the old physics really fell apart in my opinion, so I'm very happy. In short, if you push the tyres too hard and drive too aggressively, you're in a world of pain which is good news! Meow!

Last edited:
ZEE
I personally havent seen a good improvment, today after testing the update, this update on the physics for me as a controller user has made it harder for me to plant the vehicle compared to before. The cars know behave as if the understeer is king and then you give throttle to correct that and off they go into obilivion.

When I did a Daily race today, I had to put more effort into keeping the car on the straight and narrow at Spa and my lines were mych slower through each corner as I didnt feel confident taking them at speed in the NISMO GT3 car. Took me 3-4 laps in a 5 lap to feel more confident, early days but I dunno. I hope PD listen and dont ignore us players and think everything is hunky dory.

Also I think the BMW M3 '97 is broken in this update the car behaves bizarrely when tuned despite me spending 30mins at RBR trying to fix the damn thing. Under heavey braking, depending on brake baalnce, the car heavily deviates to the left and I enter Barry R!! So odd and should not be happening. I was just shaking the car down and this happened.

I mean I'm no QC game tester.....buttttt....!!

At Eiger, I can't go 5 feet without the E36 turning left into the barrier at the start.

Seems wheel users report enjoying the new ohysics whereas the controller users report weird handling. Perhaps controller settings and sensitivity was also changed or ackerman was changed. I wonder how different stability control and traction control works on road cars now. Regardless tire physics are definetly more realistic than before. Though itll be a few more updates likely before the new physics gets polished up.
Maybe now we need those advanced controller settings like the ones in Dirt Rally or AC, etc...

Could just be the G Pro wheel, but I think this update kind of sucks. The wheel is dull and too light. Drive a stock cobra and it’s like there’s hardly any feedback, unless AI hits you then lookout possible wrist breaker because it feels like you’re holding onto nothing up until that point.

Not only does the feel seem off to me, seems like every tune is goofed up, the cars feel completely different like they’re less connected to the road. No sensation that the vehicle has weight, at speed anyway. Slow tight corners it does.

Not only that, I went to hop in a car I had tuned. Updates the PP to, ⚠️ pp. I can’t get in the car or use it. Two of them have done that, I’m scared to hop in more cars.

My first impressions were, ehh I’ll get used of it. I raced for about 6-8hrs today and am feeling like they’ve ruined the wheel feel among other things. The stock cobra just feels like a boat on water, steering is incredibly light. Daytona coupe, same thing. If I crank my force feedback full to try and get back to how it was, the wheel oscillates horribly. Could just wheel specific to the G Pro, anyway this one gets 👎 👎 from me.

Last edited:
Still early days, and there are clearly a few bugs to contend with, but the range of reaction is remarkable; from people saying it's hopeless to people saying it positively transforms the game.

What I would say is that the early reaction from many of the fastest drivers is broadly positive, and I don't just mean the GTWS folks, but also your A+ Youtubers like Super GT and Rory (not sure Tidgney has proffered an opinion yet?) and the likes of Praiano.

I trust the opinions of these people because they quite clearly know more than I do, so if you are struggling, perhaps it's just a question of adjustment. I liked the old physics, after hundreds of hours I was very comfortable with them and I think I knew how to be fast, whereas now it feels a bit like starting again - but that's not necessarily bad, just different!

I didn't try controller yet, but I can't give a good opinion about It, cause i used it maybe 1 hours in my whole gt7 experience...
Speaking on wheel (t300) i find a way better ffb, more direct and free, a wider slip angle, a more realistic weight shift on and off throttle.
I don't feel there is more understeer than before while cornering, but the opposite, even if maybe should be less.
really, I have the t300 as well and I do not feel any curbs when I drive over them, for me the FFB os totally broken. The FFB is completly off in some corners of while breaking.

I am totally frustrated and lost the fun completley... But it is interesting, that you feel so different...

First time trying the new physics on dirt.
All default setup.
Didn't really need to use the clutch but it's a force of a habit with some sloppy heel and toe.
Some silly handbrake action too.
Feels more like ice but much easier to control.
As always, the FFB details are still terrible on dirt surface.
Hard landing after a big jump doesn't really kick the steering wheel at all - very disappointing.
I haven't experienced any of the crazy trampoline bugs tho :D

Last edited:
Seems wheel users report enjoying the new ohysics whereas the controller users report weird handling.
I use a controller and I like the new physics a lot...no weird handling at all, but some of the older cars needed some stiffening of the suspension and some increase of stability and self-frequency(don't know if this is the correct english word, I hope you understand what I mean...)

Still early days, and there are clearly a few bugs to contend with, but the range of reaction is remarkable; from people saying it's hopeless to people saying it positively transforms the game.

What I would say is that the early reaction from many of the fastest drivers is broadly positive, and I don't just mean the GTWS folks, but also your A+ Youtubers like Super GT and Rory (not sure Tidgney has proffered an opinion yet?) and the likes of Praiano.

I trust the opinions of these people because they quite clearly know more than I do, so if you are struggling, perhaps it's just a question of adjustment. I liked the old physics, after hundreds of hours I was very comfortable with them and I think I knew how to be fast, whereas now it feels a bit like starting again - but that's not necessarily bad, just different!
Problem for me I think is the wheel, it’s like “is this thing on??” And then I touch a curb or AI hits me and it almost rips out of my hands. Or I take a corner and the suspension kind of hops and the wheel tugs.

Question for the A+ YouTubers have they ever gone “no no no this is allll wrong the handling is garbage! My wheel feels way off!” I think it’s in their best interest to keep it positive. Look at that one YouTuber that basically got shunned by call of duty for speaking his mind.
I haven't experienced any of the crazy trampoline bugs tho :D
I didn’t know what all these posts were about cars flying etc, but I touched a curb at Road Atlanta, the third tight corner just of the hill. I consider myself quite decent at that track, I’ve ran over that curb all kinds of different ways. I almost went end over end. The front end dropped, the back end kicked up and then I did a small twirl.
I use a controller and I like the new physics a lot...no weird handling at all, but some of the older cars needed some stiffening of the suspension and some increase of stability and self-frequency(don't know if this is the correct english word, I hope you understand what I mean...)
The problem arises when you’re dealing with stock vehicles. I like to drive stock vehicles as well. Can’t exactly go slapping suspension on everything. I did it out of desperation on the Muira. There was just not something right about that car. I’d prefer to not have to tune every car.

Not trying to be negative here but it’s difficult, doesn’t help that the update so far has rendered two of my cars useless, hopped in and ⚠️ pp. it can’t calculate the pp, I change tires, or another parameter. Nope. Just a warning. There was no funny business tunes on these cars, tires, racing parts, suspension minor tweaks with that. One was a tuned 63 vette and another the old shelby mustang.

Question as I'm a relatively unsensible guy:
The stock dampener rate on road cars is now mostly 25/25 on compression and 45/45 on release. Before the update i often read that release = +10 is about right. What do you make of it? Are the new stock settings good or should they be tuned to about 30/30 and 40/40?

Thank you!

Question as I'm a relatively unsensible guy:
The stock dampener rate on road cars is now mostly 25/25 on compression and 45/45 on release. Before the update i often read that release = +10 is about right. What do you make of it? Are the new stock settings good or should they be tuned to about 30/30 and 40/40?

Thank you!
Pre-update, I had a lot of cars on stock suspension because this was often faster (rather than waste pp on suspension, you could add more power and keep the stock suspension). A lot of these cars now don't work because the suspension is softer and more springy, so I'm getting a lot of rubbing and issues of that kind. It seems that stiffening has become more critical.

Please note that all of the above is just the observations of a man who doesn't understand anything about real suspension physics. :lol:

Last edited:
The problem arises when you’re dealing with stock vehicles. I like to drive stock vehicles as well. Can’t exactly go slapping suspension on everything. I did it out of desperation on the Muira. There was just not something right about that car. I’d prefer to not have to tune every car.
Plenty of issues with tuned vehicles as well. A fully upgraded Gallardo will porpoise like Hamilton's 2022 Mercedes when you accelerate in a straight line. Some of the classic muscle cars are almost undriveable once maxed out where they used to be a challenge but doable, this is with stiffened suspension. The more time I spend trying to get used to these physics, the less happy I am with it.

Out-of-the-box race cars are lovely, though. Great! I use them about 5% of the time.

I get most players will mainly do daily races in the Gr.1, 2, 3, and 4 vehicles, but the whole point of GT7 is that it's a giant sandbox where you can do what you want, whether you're on a controller or wheel.
-competitive racing in BOP restricted cars? Check
-drifting? Check
-rally? Check
-stock road cars? Check
-taking an old muscle car or a sports car and turning it into a time attack monster? Check

I feel like this update has basically taped off part of the sandbox so I can no longer use the bit I like most. Meanwhile I'm sure the Daily Race crowd are having a great time, which is brilliant, but that's not what I've played Gran Turismo for since 1998. I played Gran Turismo to buy a japanese coupe, tune it until it has stupid amounts of power, and destroy race cars with it, but that bit has just become a lot less fun.

Last edited:
Problem for me I think is the wheel, it’s like “is this thing on??” And then I touch a curb or AI hits me and it almost rips out of my hands.
As someone who never used a wheel I have to ask something I'm curious about: Is there a difference between cars with and without power steering?

At Eiger, I can't go 5 feet without the E36 turning left into the barrier at the start.
This is what happened to me. Someone saw my video on Facebook and said the E36 needs to be set to about 112mm on the suspension, and added stiffness.

As someone who never used a wheel I have to ask something I'm curious about: Is there a difference between cars with and without power steering?
In game? No idea. In real life, yes. My vehicles have more tension in the steering wheel than my G Pro has in the cobra racing around spa.

Before the update the biggest issue I noticed with the G Pro was you could only get it so strong before the game just maxed you out at 10. Going from a car with comfort tires on to a car with sports tires on to a car with racing tires on was quite drastic. I set my wheel up so sports felt best and lived with the lighter feel of comfort tires and the almost too heavy of feel with racing tires.

It’s like they’ve exaggerated that even more when they should have been tightening that gap up a little more. I don’t want to dedicated three profiles on my wheel with different FFB strength strictly for GT7.

Whether the lighter wheel is more accurate or not, the issue arises that we are playing a game and the wheel is the only thing we have providing us information. So it needs to be more active than a real vehicles steering would be because it’s the only thing connecting us to the road in game. It’s like they forgot that. The wheel has been stripped of that detail. I honestly don’t know how anybody with a G Pro be thinking this update is an improvement.

So far, new physics for me;
More understeer
Less grip in the rear
Little to none feeling in the car on low/mid speeds
More feeling when losing the rear, actually managed to catch some slides without spinning
Breaking distance is longer
FFB completely bonkers

Overall, kinda awful. Did a daily race and am about 1,5~2 seconds a lap slower in Spa than before.

I wonder how much more difficult/"realistic" they can make this game before their core audience starts to get upset.

...at what level of "realism" does the game start to unravel for controller usage due to the limitations of the peripheral? Maybe there isn't an upper boundary, I have no idea.
I made that comment on July 12th.... I would have never thought it'd actually seemingly come true. 🤣

I find all this so fascinating. On the same page you see one person claiming less understeer and the next claiming more understeer. It can't be both! Maybe we should give it some time (and a few bug fixes lol) before coming to such firm conclusions? Clearly some adaption is required, you cannot simply drive exactly the same as before.

really, I have the t300 as well and I do not feel any curbs when I drive over them, for me the FFB os totally broken. The FFB is completly off in some corners of while breaking.

I am totally frustrated and lost the fun completley... But it is interesting, that you feel so different...
Ffb was the thing i hate most before.
I feel it more natural and comunicative now,but i had to raise it with this update.
Anyways I think ffb is something really personal

I made that comment on July 12th.... I would have never thought it'd actually seemingly come true. 🤣
Problem is, I don’t think it’s more realistic. I don’t know what it is to be honest, it feels weird.
I find all this so fascinating. On the same page you see one person claiming less understeer and the next claiming more understeer. It can't be both! Maybe we should give it some time (and a few bug fixes lol) before coming to such firm conclusions? Clearly some adaption is required, you cannot simply drive exactly the same as before.
I’m thinking different cars. There’s 400+ cars in game, we all have our favourite types and some have different tunes. I’ve experienced both. Hmm This car doesn’t want to turn in all that great , but then this car I can’t hardly keep it in a straight line anymore! Turning in ever so slightly, there it goes, I’m done.

Back