Gran Turismo 7 Physics

Do you want more detailed and realistic physics on the next GT

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
THE TIRE “SLIPPING” AT LOW SPEEDS IS FINALLY GONE!!!

For years GT games have had this weird issue where the driven wheels visually spin like they’re on ice during even the most gentle of driving (like if you were driving in real life and pulling away from a stop sign).

The tires themselves didn’t screech or act like they were sliding. But visually it was very obvious that something was wrong. @Scaff is the one who first brought this to my attention and I hope they still use these forums as they could definitely describe it much better than myself.

As of right now, it appears that this issue is finally gone. No more weird spinning of the tires at 2 mph as if they don’t actually interact with the track surface.

I don’t have any good before videos to compare, can maybe try to upload something of how it currently is, but that doesn’t really describe the problem they fixed.

Was going to make this its own thread since it’s been such a stupid yet recurring issue for years now, but decided this may be the best spot.

Unfortunately I’ve been working a lot lately and haven’t had time to really pick up on if this has been fully reported on or not.

Last edited:

For years GT games have had this weird issue where the driven wheels visually spin like they’re on ice during even the most gentle of driving (like if you were driving in real life and pulling away from a stop sign).

The tires themselves didn’t screech or act like they were sliding. But visually it was very obvious that something was wrong. @Scaff is the one who first brought this to my attention and I hope they still use these forums as they could definitely describe it much better than myself.

As of right now, it appears that this issue is finally gone. No more weird spinning of the tires at 2 mph as if they don’t actually interact with the track surface.

I don’t have any good before videos to compare, can maybe try to upload something of how it currently is, but that doesn’t really describe the problem they fixed.

Was going to make this its own thread since it’s been such a stupid yet recurring issue for years now, but decided this may be the best spot.

Unfortunately I’ve been working a lot lately and haven’t had time to really pick up on if this has been fully reported on or not.
Oh, I observed this too. Just didn’t post about it. While watching my replays after I’ve spun out, I noticed my car just pulls away gently the tyre gripping the tarmac road surface realistically. Controller user by the way and TCS off I might add.
I feel that goes in hand with what the patch notes mention about controller inputs being improved.

Edit:
From a race launch.

From a stop to stand still, hard launch, soft launch and half throttle acceleration.

Last edited:

I tried to say this on the discord but didnt have the words

Fiinally

Another aid I don’t use and I’ll try it now is the the brake balance controller. When I watch(V8)Supercars they continuous make adjustments over a lap. Sometimes corner to corner. Giz(Shane VanGisbergen) was and still is known for that.

Since we don’t see tyre pressures, we’re not sure how well the tyre performs at Sunrise on low pressures to Afternoon on a sunny day. Have any players that religiously test these parameters notice any differences in such performances after the update?

I've been away off and on and haven't had time since the day of the physics change to play until today, and for me the change is continuing to be the best thing that's ever happened to GT7.

The Porsche 911 GT3 is a weapon, but I didn't really drive it much before the update because it was ridiculously easy to drive and just kind of boring. Today I used it in the Hyper Car Parade and now it not only remains a weapon, but it has completely come alive all together. It squirms on it's tires, it's posable on the brakes, and bounces around realistically on its dampers. It's controllable up to and beyond traction limits, can be pushed into oversteer as requested and is now simply wonderful to drive. It's still so fast it might as well be a cheat code, but it also speaks to you the entire time you're in it. Amazing stuff.

GR4 cars used to be fairly boring to drive. Relatively low powered cars with a lot of grip didn't always add up to a rewarding experience, but now even on RH tires there is so much room within the carcass of the tires and through the personality of the chassis they don't even feel like the same cars anymore. I used the Scirocco and the Mustang GR4 cars in this weeks race at Laguna Seca and they're both so much more communicative and rewarding to hustle around than before.

The tires on these things give so much more information now. You can feel them warming up to temp, they can be pushed into more and more steering angle with a huge range of control from full grip until they start to break away. Before, slick tires would be very "stiff" when new with a lot of heavy, torquey resistance in the steering wheel, then the feedback would simply lessen more and more until they were worn, and quickly break away into understeer with the steering wheel going limp. Now they start off noticeably less prone to turn in when cold, really grip up a lot as they heat up, then gradually start to taper initial grip as they wear. Given that, the precise amount of grip is always communicated, and even when they are near totally worn and provide less ultimate road holding that specific limit is always there and your driving can be tailored to maintain a good pace and confident lapping. They don't just "give up", they continually let you know that peak grip is falling while also letting you know there is still a window of performance that can be comfortably used.

Rally is now amazing. Tires now actually grip in a straight line. Cars can get bogged down in traction. There is lateral grip where there was none before. In the past once the car was loose you were basically driving on ice. Sliding on throttle was insanely slow as there was no grip to be had at all in wheelspin, making for a weird balance where you had to try and maintain a smooth line and limit oversteer. Now you can bury the things in a corner and dig back out. You can turn in at speed and the car actually turns... it's so much fun now, and acts so much more like a tire actually behaves on dirt. The AI didn't seem to get the memo as they still absolutely suck, but I'm having a blast in front all on my own.

In the Gallardo race I did notice the steering problem that many people have mentioned, but in this case it doesn't seem to be the same as the tire-hitting-fender issue that plagues other cars. When the steering wheel was visibly snagging, the car was always firmly in my control, so to me it seems like in this case it is purely a visual glitch. There are still many cases of vehicles suffering from the tire-to-fender issue, which sucks, but the stock Gallardo seems to be a special case. I have not experienced any of the other strange issues for myself yet, like cars yeeting themselves into the wall. I'm wondering if some of those hiccups have to do with setups that stray far from stock tuning.

All in all, I now look forward to playing GT7 a whole lot more than before, and I loved it then too. It's just so much better now. I feel like I could go through the whole game again. I really hope than when PD fixes the issues with this update they don't mess up the magic that is happening here.

Last edited:
@GTboyz

On controller only things you can do is use assists, turn down controller sensitivity and putting brske bias somewhere else. Wasnt such a huge issue to drive without assist before the update but now we must on controller. Talk about that new ferrari time trial. Good luck on a controller with that one. Couldnt bother enough to get gold.

On older wheels like mine especially turn the sensitivity all the way up but have torque at like 4/5

And if youre trying to drift on a wheel forget it. you need the sensitivity at 9 or 10 or the car will just spin no matter what. Theres a very strange relationship between steering wheel sensitivity and your ability to drift in this game. This is coming from a guy who consistently wheel drifts in every other gt game and multiple PC sims but finds the wheel settings frustrating and lackluster in gt7 . I just wish they gave more adjustability in general. Having pedal dedzones and adjusting maximum input on the clutch pedal is great to avoid missing a shift but this is just basic stuff gt7 is missing. FFB gain would be nice to start. Maybe gt8 will finally offer such things but its absence shouldnt be shocking considering the track record of pd and missing, hidden or removed features.

Last edited:
@GTboyz

On controller only things you can do is use assists, turn down controller sensitivity and putting brske bias somewhere else. Wasnt such a huge issue to drive without assist before the update but now we must on controller. Talk about that new ferrari time trial. Good luck on a controller with that one. Couldnt bother enough to get gold.

On older wheels like mine especially turn the sensitivity all the way up but have torque at like 4/5

And if youre trying to drift on a wheel forget it. you need the sensitivity at 9 or 10 or the car will just spin no matter what. Theres a very strange relationship between steering wheel sensitivity and your ability to drift in this game. This is coming from a guy who consistently wheel drifts in every other gt game and multiple PC sims but finds the wheel settings frustrating and lackluster in gt7 . I just wish they gave more adjustability in general. Having pedal dedzones and adjusting maximum input on the clutch pedal is great to avoid missing a shift but this is just basic stuff gt7 is missing. FFB gain would be nice to start. Maybe gt8 will finally offer such things but its absence shouldnt be shocking considering the track record of pd and missing, hidden or removed features.
I'll say this again. There needs to be more advanced controller settings like it is on most simulators like ACC, PC2, Dirt Rally 1&2, etc

I just wish they gave more adjustability in general. Having pedal dedzones and adjusting maximum input on the clutch pedal is great to avoid missing a shift but this is just basic stuff gt7 is missing. FFB gain would be nice to start.
GT7 does have this, or at least it does for the G29

1903cac1b2d42-96b5C9D7D20689ADD60.78214389268DE75F_message_440065181341884_1719004614616 (1).jpg
1903cac47c73-96b5C9D7D20689ADD60.78214389268DE75F_message_440065183030745_1719004621213.jpg
1903cac572d50-96b5C9D7D20689ADD60.78214389268DE75F_message_440065184808767_1719004628159.jpg

I'll say this again. There needs to be more advanced controller settings like it is on most simulators like ACC, PC2, Dirt Rally 1&2, etc
If you use motion steering then you can change the steering linearity for turn in and for hard cornering.

It is missing trigger (L2 R2) linearity though, I think that would be a welcome upgrade to be able to modulate throttle and braking better.

Last edited:

PD has so much of what we want locked behind a veil... With the PSVR1 we could adjust out seating within a vehicle but it's not selectable with the PSVR2 in GT7. The menu options is there but it's grayed out. And of course, the telemetry stuff is hidden from us but exists.

They need to give us more option in general, I agree with you.

Im starting to think that sproinging rocket cars and the wheel oscillating like mad are related. As if its some sort of out of control rebound. Kinda feel it in medium corners and today, i was able to steady the oscillation with an attempt at perfect posture and light, but strong grip. Wasn’t perfect, but it was interesting.

Aside from that..man i love this update. So many cars i used to think were either trash, or generic are now quirky and interesting and feel worth learning. This is fun.

After playing some more today I agree with what some people who focus on drifting have said... it's not really any better than before. It might be even worse with the physics being so good until that point.

The physics are great up to the point where I consciously try to hold a steep-angle slide and the tire physics get really wonky. It feels to me like tire temps spike quickly and the grip all goes away, then it all comes back very quickly leading to the familiar GT7 trope of heinous snap back to traction.

Still loving the update, just wished the new physics greatness extended to all facets of tire behavior.

After playing some more today I agree with what some people who focus on drifting have said... it's not really any better than before. It might be even worse with the physics being so good until that point.

The physics are great up to the point where I consciously try to hold a steep-angle slide and the tire physics get really wonky. It feels to me like tire temps spike quickly and the grip all goes away, then it all comes back very quickly leading to the familiar GT7 trope of heinous snap back to traction.

Still loving the update, just wished the new physics greatness extended to all facets of tire behavior.

I run SimHub, my laptop is off to the side, but I have glanced and seen tire temps sky rocket quickly. I’m not sure the exact temp but I think it’s around 110 where the get a bit greasy and then just shoot up from there. I have been able to spin the back tires and have the temps way up. The weird thing is it’s like GT7 just goes ok that’s enough tire spinning in a straight line and drops the temps.

I’m sure we’ve all felt it. Back tires spinning, in the red, managing to keep it straight and then suddenly car sort of bogs down a bit and hooks up. I’ve seen that in SimHub and the temps just kinda of go from 140-150 down to like 80. With my foot still in it. The tires cool after a certain amount of time, then they grip and bog down the car a little. Sometimes they don’t they just cool and grip. Like the tire temps reset.

I’m going to try to remember to do a burnout and see what happens. Because I faintly remember doing donuts and after a bit the car just grabs for a few seconds before starting again. Like they have a time limit on tire temps.

I run SimHub, my laptop is off to the side, but I have glanced and seen tire temps sky rocket quickly. I’m not sure the exact temp but I think it’s around 110 where the get a bit greasy and then just shoot up from there. I have been able to spin the back tires and have the temps way up. The weird thing is it’s like GT7 just goes ok that’s enough tire spinning in a straight line and drops the temps.

I’m sure we’ve all felt it. Back tires spinning, in the red, managing to keep it straight and then suddenly car sort of bogs down a bit and hooks up. I’ve seen that in SimHub and the temps just kinda of go from 140-150 down to like 80. With my foot still in it. The tires cool after a certain amount of time, then they grip and bog down the car a little. Sometimes they don’t they just cool and grip. Like the tire temps reset.

I’m going to try to remember to do a burnout and see what happens. Because I faintly remember doing donuts and after a bit the car just grabs for a few seconds before starting again. Like they have a time limit on tire temps.
Wow. That would definitely explain why drifts are ending in a frustrating grippy mess. It looks like tire temps just cool off for no reason even when they're still being overdriven.

Doesn't make sense at all.

Nope. Never managed to win them 3 dirt races, no matter what. Kept bouncing and unde/over steering, wheel going mad in my hands and today, puff... smooth and controlled drifting, all done at first try!

Before this update, I noticed that driving on dirt, was similar to driving on ice in some ways... I had to nearly come to a stop in or to turn in...

After the update the cars turn pretty well, and are FAR easier to recover from slides on dirt tracks.

I have enjoyed the rest of the physics, but haven't had enough seat time to make an experienced comment overall.

Wow. That would definitely explain why drifts are ending in a frustrating grippy mess. It looks like tire temps just cool off for no reason even when they're still being overdriven.

Doesn't make sense at all.
Yeah I know for a fact they do when you’re going in a straight and you’re clearly spinning the rear tires, they almost look like they reset to me. Not right to 60 but around 80-90 quick drop and then they’ll drop some more.

It’s weird I’ve noticed it in the 69 Camaro a lot, I’ll be very loose and then the car just bogs down. I think that’s the tires going ok we’ve had enough, rapidly drop to a cooler temp.

Just tried doing the Jimny challenge at Eiger. It's hilarious but also borderline undrivable even in stock form. Pre-1.49 it was enjoyable but now? It's like you're hitting the bump stops even at the most moderate speeds, not to mention the bump steer is so bad the car thinks it's a motorcycle.

I don't know if it's just me, but it seems like the Chapparal 2J front end is more responsive now. I wonder if it's related to PD making every car have increased front end grip or something
Ironically, I think there is less grip in the tires overall and the downforce (or the suspension's ability to handle it) has been improved.

Conspiracy: The changes in handling that we are feeling is primarily related to how downforce affects the ride height and/or additional changes to the dampers.

Ironically, I think there is less grip in the tires overall and the downforce (or the suspension's ability to handle it) has been improved.

Conspiracy: The changes in handling that we are feeling is primarily related to how downforce affects the ride height and/or additional changes to the dampers.
Ya know..

Race c definitely had me wondering about aero vs mechanical and how the ffb for apparently all formula(not just the known sf) cars is bugged. Guess tomorrow will have some answers..hopefully…

Ya know..

Race c definitely had me wondering about aero vs mechanical and how the ffb for apparently all formula(not just the known sf) cars is bugged. Guess tomorrow will have some answers..hopefully…
Speaking of tomorrow, why hasn't the news about the update been posted yet?

Speaking of tomorrow, why hasn't the news about the update been posted yet?
It's off-schedule (both in time of month and time of week). and the notice came in about dinner-time in Europe. Also, off-schedule updates usually don't make the front page until they actually drop.

Tires in my opinion now are more realistic and more progressive when loosing grip, also finally the difference between racing tires isn't as night and day like before where RH felt like driving on ice,now they feel like proper tires. Also suspension traveling it's so much better,on replays it's so satisfying to see the cars wobble and move around. As of ffb now feels so natural, i can even feel the suspension load when cornering now (at least with racing cars)

Last edited:
Just tried the fully upgraded Gallardo on Update 1.50. 1000hp, RS tyres. Before the update, this car would bounce around and pogo in a straight line under hard acceleration. From what little I can tell so far, it looks like nothing much has changed post 1.49, other than the bouncing appears to be gone. So, I think it looks like the glitches are fixed and what's left is the physics update PD intended, with all the polarising opinions that entails.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back