Gran Turismo 7 Spec II Revealed: Upgraded GT Sophy AI, New Snow Track, New Cars, and More

• Thread starter Famine
  • 1,041 comments
I'm curious why they added the Master licenses. Not complaining, in fact I wouldn't mind giving the license center another visit.
Just seems like a curious addition
Probably the first step to the endurance races introduction??🤔🤔🤔🤔

Last edited:
Thanks @Famine or the article.

Very excited to experience Sophy in the game and how it plays (I enjoyed the previous "teaser" event).

Obviously, I wish Sophy could be dropped into Custom and replace the default "AI" in the other races vs. just Quick Race which I understand is the only place it will be. .....maybe misunderstanding that.

Also, the weekly challenges should help breathe new life into SP.

The cool thing is that now Sophy seems it's here to stay, it will be improved upon and hopefully also expanded into more facets of the game. Although realistically, I see why they are likely to keep it isolated from the rest of the game and it comes down to the fact that this game was made to support PS4. I know Sophy isn't included on PS4 but the rest of the game is and that is what could hold them back from expanding into Custom, current races / events, etc. I hope I'm wrong though.

Good stuff either way and enough to really get me playing a lot more than I currently do. Also jazzed about the new Challenger and '68 Charger. .....mostly because I own a 2010 Challenger R/T and '69 Charger myself. ....sentimental reasons. 🙂
GT Sophy is only for PS5. See no reason why it would not be possibly to expand into Custom races. PS4 is old-gen unfortunately.

in other words we need censorship of negative nancies asap, its getting out of hand, there is 0 reason to complain about gt7 anymore with spec ii, and anyone saying bUt SpOrT mOdE should go back to gt sport or realise gran turismo will always be a single player series first and formost and stop trying to ruin gt with more esports, sport mode is the worst and brought in many esports people with no respect for the history of gran turismo so that why they complain here
Not really what I'm saying, no need for censorship. Constructive criticisms is alway good and useful. People need to transform their complaints in useful feedback. Comments like "customers realise they've been gamed, again!", "this is like the worst major update ever" and "Wow, what a wonderful addition/s" are useless, annoying and hurtful.

Last edited:
Structure, for one.

How many cars currently exist in the game that fundamentally cannot be used without altering their PP? Quite a few. Proper career structure (think GT3, 4 and 5) could remedy that.

The World Tour-esque mode doesn't have the best presentation (to me) because all you're doing is roaming around the mapped areas looking for the races you want (which at the moment is the same allotment that have persisted since the game launched). There's no real natural progression from one event series to the next; everything feels scattered, and in an attempt to make progression feel non-linear, it feels, dare I say, aimless.

PP/BoP shouldn't be a concern until you're in the GT-class events where that's literally make or break. I would love to prance around in the Living Legend, like I would in any number of cars in the previous games, except I can't — not without gimping its performance.

And the difference between this and GT Sport is exactly what I'm griping about: Vision GT events, for one. The Italian Festival events; there were options for open-wheelers. I've said this half a dozen times already, but for a game touting a "return to form", it seems to have forgotten what that form was...
Ok I kind of get you. I don't have such a task based approach to GT. Imo it was never a 'linear' game. Sometimes I just pick a car and take it around Nürburgring, simply because I felt like it.

Ok, that's huge! This Spec-II surpassed all my expectations for the update. PD even included a 4-player splitscreen mode (and obviously, I assume they've finally fixed all the bugs in that mode), I'm shocked!!

Kaz, you madman, you really cooked, you ******* did it!!! Hats off to you.

gran-turismo-kaz.gif

Comments like these are exactly why I refuse to be a dev in the gaming industry. Dealing with demanding and entitled customers like Mr. 69 over here, no thanks.
I'm not in the gaming industry but a dev in various other fields throughout my career, the actual devs almost always don't have to bother dealing with people like this, it's usually someone else in the studio like a PR person to my understanding. If you're small / indie tho, might not be the case.

There's definitely other reasons to not go into game dev though, I learned computer science originally intending to be a gameplay engineer, but especially at the time it was common knowledge of how the work life balance at many studios was poor and you got paid less, so I just went into other areas instead and did some indie gaming stuff on the side when I felt like it sometimes. I am somewhat confident most studios are better about that nowadays though

Last edited:
This is just the beginning for Sophy's impact on GT. I would rather have 9 tracks in Quick Race mode with most cars NOW, then wait another 12 months with no Sophy.

IRacing currently has the best ai of any PC sim. They got there by releasing cars and tracks with ai gradually, not all at once. Sony AI are doing the same thing to some extent.

I think many may be underestimating what this brings to the table regarding singleplayer. We'll see tomorrow but here's the vision for this first iteration: grab your new LFA, go race at Road Atlanta against Sophy except now you have to work hard to win. Crank up the difficulty and that one track and car become a many race challenge trying to win against skilled ai. Next time you play, decide whether you want to do the LFA at Tsukuba or move to the 992 GT3RS at Road Atlanta again. More immersive, more depth, more challenge with each car and track. Yes, it appears like you don't get huge payouts and you don't get trophies but you do get actual racing.

At least I hope you do. We'll see implementation tomorrow. And we'll see how soon they'll add Sophy content in the months to come.

I'm really curious how they made Sophy scalable.
Will they be more or less skillful, or will the game simply give them lower/higher PP cars depending on the difficulty.

And is Sophy's fidelity still the same in 20 car grids vs when it went up against the pros?

GT Sophy is undoubtedly the most important part of this update for me. Although it still has limitations, at 9 tracks with a free selection of cars, it should take a while to exhaust the possibilities. Plus, they said there will be future updates to Sophy as well. Hopefully, we can get better racing from this than daily races that are bound to get ruined by dirty drivers at some point.
Master License is also pretty cool, totally didn't expect that, and certainly didn't expect there to be as many as 50 tests!
The new track doesn't interest me much though, GT is known to have pretty bad rally/rally-cross physics, unless they have improved that in this update.

I also hope that they have packed a few more quality-of-life changes in this update too, like better (or even customizable) UI in VR mode, and better wheel button & rotary mapping.

Its amusing to watch/read the roller coaster of opinions/emotions on this forum. So many people seem to operate in such extreme emotional states. Yesterday, many people were all doom and gloom and today they act as if GT7 has walked on water. I suspect the next couple days will be people complaining about Sophy/other details because they don't actually read or can't comprehend the stuff.

This is certainly a nice update, one of the best we've had, and I'm excited to mess with it. But GT7 still has a lot of potential and room for improvement. Its good to see progress is being made and it'd be nice if some people had a little more patience and understanding. Like, tell yourself right now that we may not get another substantial update like this until Nov 2024. The next 11 months could be the same old trickle of cars and events. They need time to work on things. Absorb that thought and be content with it; happy we're getting any updates at all and PD isn't laying off tons of staff or Sony shutting them down.

Gran Turismo is obviously not dead, never was dead, and not the worst game ever. Deep breathes people.

Its amusing to watch/read the roller coaster of opinions/emotions on this forum. So many people seem to operate in such extreme emotional states. Yesterday, many people were all doom and gloom and today they act as if GT7 has walked on water. I suspect the next couple days will be people complaining about Sophy/other details because they don't actually read or can't comprehend the stuff.

This is certainly a nice update, one of the best we've had, and I'm excited to mess with it. But GT7 still has a lot of potential and room for improvement. Its good to see progress is being made and it'd be nice if some people had a little more patience and understanding. Like, tell yourself right now that we may not get another substantial update like this until Nov 2024. The next 11 months could be the same old trickle of cars and events. They need time to work on things. Absorb that thought and be content with it; happy we're getting any updates at all and PD isn't laying off tons of staff or Sony shutting them down.

Gran Turismo is obviously not dead, never was dead, and not the worst game ever. Deep breathes people.
Oh stop being so reasonable, this is the internet don't you know, it's not how we do things here.

I'm not in the gaming industry but a dev in various other fields throughout my career, the actual devs almost always don't have to bother dealing with people like this, it's usually someone else in the studio like a PR person to my understanding. If you're small / indie tho, might but be the case.
While you're not interacting directly with them, you do read these kind of comments . Also, if you dare to go public on Twitter as a game dev, if players of your game finds you, you're in for a ride. 😐

Ok, this is really a big update.

I am not so hot on another rallye/snow track, but apart from that, alone adding Sophy will be a big improvement to the gameplay. I just went through a few races last night that I haven't played in a while, both in easy and normal difficulty, and the current "AI"/bots are simply a joke.

Some of the new cars are going to be great too, although that really isn't my personal focus at all. I am happy going on WTC 700/800 races with my 911 RSR all day long. 🙃

But the split screen multiplayer is really something I am looking forward to. I just hope they fixed the controller settings issue along with this!
Same, they do tend to be pretty cold though.

From the notes - “you can learn the basic of sports driving”. I guess they are acknowledging the Sports mode driving standards (lack of) and realise they need to train people a bit better.

I suspect some of the tests will involve clean overtaking.
I hope so. I had this idea months and months ago. Before one can partake in Sport Mode you have to pass a license test which involves things like holding an inside/outside line through a turn, knowing the need to brake earlier if in slip, and many others.

GT Sophy is only for PS5. See no reason why it would not be possibly to expand into Custom races. PS4 is old-gen unfortunately.
That was my point though. Sophy additions will be unique to PS5 but their efforts going forward will still be split in adding content / improvements for PS4 as well.

Now, like I said, I hope I'm wrong and maybe adding Sophy to existing races, Custom, etc. isn't too complicated but my guess is that Quick Start is easier to focus on for Sophy's implementation and development. Adding it to the rest of the game could almost be like maintaining two different versions of GT7. ....overcomplicating development. Perhaps full implementation won't be fully realized until GT8?

Again, hope I'm wrong on this because I would like nothing more than to have the whole game benefit from a full or at least expanded Sophy integration. Either way, I will take what I can get and can't wait to try it out tomorrow.

Have fun!

GT7 Dashboard.jpg

I'm just curious what the reason is behind the new dashboard? In the picture you can clearly see that "my page" is also still there.

Also: maybe it's hidden in the patch notes (doubt it), but it would be nice to update the collector level to level 100 or something. Just a small thing, but it gives a nice sense of progression.

As for the master licenses: i wonder if we will earn prize cars for completing everything on bronze/gold? And if we do, which cars will they give us? I know, hard to say which cars but maybe it's nice if the prize cars were cars locked behind an invitation for example?

And again: new wheels/customization options would be nice?

Last edited:
Back