Gran Turismo 7 Update 1.07 Now Available: Tire and Progression Bugs Addressed

• Thread starter Famine
  • 2,149 comments
Since the maintenance is taking a BIT longer than expected, I bet another update is on the way, 1.07 is really broken and they need to fix something ( and introduce new bugs also) my experience working with platforms, servers, IT is telling me that.

Looks like PD managed to combine the worst elements of GTA-Online and GTA-Trilogy. Bravo, Sony, for taking the lead in the three-way (BLEEP)-up dance between yourselves, Rockstar and EA.
Exactly. Let's not forget that despite their focus on online and microtransactions, GTA/RDR2/FIFA still had large, comprehensive single player campaigns on launch

Last edited:
All Music Rally reminds me of is how much of a step down this game's soundtrack is. Maybe I'm in the minority, but most of the new tracks are just bleh, across the board. Some I do like, but the majority is not good I'll admit. Perhaps I'm just too fond of Sport's very solid collection of lounge and chill music. Past tracks are welcome, but they are used as a crutch for the rest of the soundtrack.
You're not alone. I listened to the soundtrack for maybe 30min before shutting it off entirely. Don't like music while I drive in car sims even if it's good music, but I usually keep it on in the menu's. It's not horrible, but nothing about it stands out as being a good soundtrack either, nor does it come close to the ST's we used to have.

A good soundtrack would require PD to either a) hire talented composers b) license music that people like.
PD's out here shaking people down for pocket change with their MTXs' (although $120 for the XJ13 is far from pocket change) so you know they aren't spending any more money than they absolutely have to. Hence the reason we have next to no new(er) cars from the better part of a decade, and most of the newer vehicles to the franchise are fantasy, ie cheaper than licensing the Porsche 918, 992, C8 Vette, new gens of M3/M4/M6 (or any of the other "M" vehicles we've never seen in GT) and on and on and on. Still unwilling to bring a series icon in Lotus back due to PD being to damned cheap, popularity of their cars in the franchise be damned.

Exactly. Let's not forget that despite their focus on online and microtransactions, GTA/RDR2/FIFA still had large, comprehensive single player campaigns on launch
...FIFA's manager mode has been broken and been the same bug ridden mess since 2017, what are you even talking about?

Last edited:
Not to mention that Trilogy was (theoretically at least) playable for those who managed to buy it before Rockstar shut down sales for weeks.

The game literally hands you a bunch of free cars which in previous games you had to buy. You get free cars golding the license tests etc. There is so much handed to you and you can make everything competitive and fast with tuning. Don't know why people keep yelling mxt when you don't have to pay for anything to have fun. Who cares about owning all the cars which you wont probably drive 90% of them on a regular basis. I have my dedicated car for online. Just need a few GR2,3 and 4 cars, some FR, MR, FF and you are good to go. And how is it even fun doing the same thing over and grinding for hours anyways. Explore online and sport mode. You have everything to stay competitive.

The game literally hands you a bunch of free cars which in previous games you had to buy. You get free cars golding the license tests etc. There is so much handed to you and you can make everything competitive and fast with tuning. Don't know why people keep yelling mxt when you don't have to pay for anything to have fun. Who cares about owning all the cars which you wont probably drive 90% of them on a regular basis. I have my dedicated car for online. Just need a few GR2,3 and 4 cars, some FR, MR, FF and you are good to go. And how is it even fun doing the same thing over and grinding for hours anyways. Explore online and sport mode. You have everything to stay competitive.
Please finish the game before talking about the endgame. It stops giving you cars, and it doesn't give you enough money to pay for them either.

Last edited:
Oh boy... another stupid comment. This game was marketed as a return to the traditional single-player focused game. People shouldn't therefor be expected to have to "Explore online and sport mode".

And how many times must it be said over and over before people realize this game's economy is designed to push MTXs? What other reasoning is there to reduce payouts when no one asked for it.

Last edited:
They should have rolled back the update to 1.06 once they identified an issue. Having a slightly bugged game to play while they sort out the 1.07 update would have been better than no game at all and your whole customer base wondering what is going on.

If i said "FRIES" when you enter my theoretical restaurant, does it mean that the main item to eat are the potatos?

Again, just having that be the first word appear on a video doesnt mean that its the main thing, its like having the next NFS game have "CUSTOMIZE" in its trailer as it's first word, it's not the main goal, its just something else you can do.
Jesus, just admit you're wrong and leave it alone... Everyone that has played a GT game going back to '97 knows that the "car museum" was an integral part of the success of the franchise. Driving and collecting cars > racing in GT, that's just the way it's always been aside from the sole anomaly in Sport. It's what set it apart from every other driving/racing game that had been made to that point, and it's the formula that FM copied as they knew there were no other competitors in the realm. Why the hell would they even have 400+ cars that CANNOT BE TEST DRIVEN if you were not meant to buy them for the huge spectrum of races that have always been included, from kei cars to formula and everything in-between? Just so you can see it and say "cool" and go back to driving your Honda Fit? That may be how YOU play the game, but millions of buyers (and the devs themselves as per marketing material) completely disagree.

• GT4 handed you a LOT more cars than GT7, and were actually rewards for winning events. The latter, toughest events gave you some pretty expensive and rare cars. GT7 gives you predominantly cheaper cars.
  • People want all the cars so they can, wait for this, drive them. Have fun. Upgrade them. Experiment. Yes, some you'll only drive once or twice but you can't drive them at all if you can't afford them.
  • Play online and sport mode? With the payouts there you'll be still waiting to afford some cars in 5 years.

I have a few guesses at what's going on with the down time and some other things based on my experience as a Software Engineer.

Online Requirement
I'll start with this since it could relate to the extended maintenance. I believe none of our profile progress data (cars in the garage, credits on hand, license and mission progress, etc.) is ever stored on the console but is on their servers and the game fetches only what's needed next during the loading screens. It's just loaded into RAM as needed when needed. This would perhaps explain why
  • it tries to connect to their servers first thing (to load into RAM your profile data)
  • offline mode doesn't work in any fashion in relation to your account/progress, like it doesn't even tell you how many credits you have right now (assuming you started the game after maintenance started)
  • starting the game right now takes forever at the initial loading screen to see the main menu

Why do this instead of storing the game data locally and syncing it with the cloud? Several reasons but the biggest being that it gives the developers control of the data since they're hosting the data and not your PS4/5. This can be really important as a developer for longevity of maintenance, the ability to change how/what data is stored and prevent conflicting save data

Extended Downtime
So having been on the receiving end of sever maintenance gone wrong and pulling all-nighters to help my team fix it, there's a lot of things that could cause this. Most likely it's a software/hardware change that can't be reversed, worked as expected when it was tested on the testing servers but went very wrong when they tried to apply the changes to the real servers. Example could be
  • changing the structure of the server data had some issues so they're fixing what went wrong and trying it again
  • they made changes to their server hardware on some hosting platform (Amazon's AWS, Google's GCP, etc.) and it went wrong
  • something as simple as all cars are showing up as costing 0 credits and wanting to fix that before turning off server maintenance mode

Fixing some of these can be hard, if the issue is related to a specific field of study (automation of server architecting or automation of code deployment, etc.) then there may be only a few engineers who have an idea how to fix it and they're working around the clock, possibly having gone without much sleep which can in turn make it harder to solve the problem.

I could cover a lot of other topics like how you can fix a bug that introduces more bugs but I typed a lot already haha. Though I can get into it if anyone's interested.

Last edited:
Please finish the game before talking about the endgame. It stops giving you cars, and it doesn't give you enough money to pay for them either.
I'm familiar it will stop giving you cars, but there is so much else to explore with current cars. I don't find the idea of everything being easily handed to you as fun. Having cars more difficult to get adds more value to achieving and buying them. The people that quickly get everything are going to stop playing once they achieve everything regardless. The people who actually enjoy the driving and modding will stay playing the game long term.

Yeah, I like the lackluster online mode too, and maybe when we can finally play the game we can pass by the souvenir shop together, so we can sell our souls to the devil for 2 mil credits...

... but right now I just want the game to be fixed.

The people that quickly get everything are going to stop playing once they achieve everything regardless.
The people who actually enjoy the driving and modding will stay playing the game long term.
These are not mutually exclusive things. There are people who will get a myriad of cars and continue to play the game with them, whether driving, tuning, online, or photomode.

I'm familiar it will stop giving you cars, but there is so much else to explore with current cars. I don't find the idea of everything being easily handed to you as fun. Having cars more difficult to get adds more value to achieving and buying them. The people that quickly get everything are going to stop playing once they achieve everything regardless. The people who actually enjoy the driving and modding will stay playing the game long term.

Keep up the good work fellas. Let your voices be heard on metacritic! User score has dropped significantly already!

That's pretty brutal but also highlights that developers cannot drop the ball at any point - most of these negative reviews were from the 17th (when the update first hit) and those will sway the metacritic score for the whole lifecycle of the game even once it's fixed and even if (if) a future update evolves the game into a much better game. It's a bit like restaurant reviews on google, most who are content with the service won't go out of their way to put a review in. It still needs to be there though, as most of the games review industry really doesn't seem to understand racing games or has a disposition to not be overly critical of studios.

That said I can't say I sympathise with PD for the hammering they're getting, They brought this on themselves as having the numerous shortcomings of the game (and the series) combined with the very predatory microtransactions meant they were only one stuff up away from players lashing out.

Maybe if they had any reliable communications or any interaction with the fan base to the same standard of other developers they could've quelled some of the rage and minimised the blowback, but they didn't.

Last edited:
These are not mutually exclusive things. There are people who will get a myriad of cars and continue to play the game with them, whether driving, tuning, online, or photomode.
The people that enjoy the driving and physics aspects could care less about overflowing their garage with cars they wont use because they will be focused on perfecting what they have and carrying them into races. If you think about iRacing price points, you would think they should go out of business, but people who spend there are very invested in it. People that care about tuning and driving are the long term players, not the 2 week and done ones. So I don't think people getting outraged at this is going to affect the player base.

It's not difficult though. There is little to no skill in grinding events for credits. It's just incredibly time consuming.

If you want to value a car and make it genuinely difficult, put it behind an actual skill barrier, or at least a big effort.

Example.

"Le Mans Time Trial Series"
5 single lap time trials with challenging to drive cars from the history of the 24 Hour Race. Throw in weather on one. Make the gold times 9/10 hard.

1M credits if you gold each one.
Gold all five, win the Porsche 917K.

"Gran Turismo World Championship"
10 race championship, ~45 minutes each, in Gr.1 cars. Grid starts, fuel and tyre wear on. Mid-championship saves available.

Win the championship, prize of 5M credits and a Mazda 787B.

If that is how cars were also gated people wouldn't have as much of an issue. If you're good enough, you can win them. If not, there is still the time gate option. Right now it's just a time barrier, nothing more.

It's not difficult though. There is little to no skill in grinding events for credits. It's just incredibly time consuming.

If you want to value a car and make it genuinely difficult, put it behind an actual skill barrier, or at least a big effort.

Example.

"Le Mans Time Trial Series"
5 single lap time trials with challenging to drive cars from the history of the 24 Hour Race. Throw in weather on one. Make the gold times 9/10 hard.

1M credits if you gold each one.
Gold all five, win the Porsche 917K.

"Gran Turismo World Championship"
10 race championship, ~45 minutes each, in Gr.1 cars. Grid starts, fuel and tyre wear on. Mid-championship saves available.

Win the championship, prize of 5M credits and a Mazda 787B.

If that is how cars were also gated people wouldn't have as much of an issue. If you're good enough, you can win them. If not, there is still the time gate option. Right now it's just a time barrier, nothing more.
Something like this is what I was hoping for with GT7, not what we got but my unrealistic expectations aside, I really really like your idea.

The people that enjoy the driving and physics aspects could care less about overflowing their garage with cars they wont use because they will be focused on perfecting what they have and carrying them into races.
Nothing more than assumption like your last post. There are definitely users out there who enjoy that & having a bunch of cars at the same time.

iRacing is a monthly subscription highly-touted sim. Of course those people are invested in it. Not at all relevant to the discussion.

Back