Gran Turismo 7 Update 1.07 Now Available: Tire and Progression Bugs Addressed

• Thread starter Famine
  • 2,149 comments
This is why i don't buy games around launch these days. Games are almost always incomplete &/or changed through patches, either for better or worse. I can wait & decide if it's worth the money later on.
Every day I think about my decision to buy BF2042 and how I could have bought literally anything else.

Their system detected potential fun in the latest patch, and had to shut it down. ;)

Seriously though, another post here mentioned that some players had their progress corrupted in the update to 1.06; if that's true, I'm guessing it's more of the same - and possibly on a much wider level.

It wouldn't be so much of an issue if they gave players the ability to backup and restore their data, or even a way to reset their progress. Outlandish, I know.
They must've had WarGaming's WorldofWarships CV devs on board

Sure, if you do your math like this

That video is pure gold!
I am not going for refund - they have the chance to correct their mistakes.
Just 6-8hrs ago I was wanting a refund, but now I'm curious as to how this will all play out! I have a strange optimism that they're going to react to the backlash and set things right. Or maybe I'm just a masochist, always that possibility as well lol

I am so sick and tired of triple A games companies giving us glitchy, grindy, rushed games like this! I thought Polyphony of ALL GAMES COMPANIES wouldn't succumb to these bull**** business practices. As a long time GT fan I am absolutely heart broken especially since I payed $100 for this. I put a review into Metacritic as protest.

I have a few guesses at what's going on with the down time and some other things based on my experience as a Software Engineer.

Online Requirement
I'll start with this since it could relate to the extended maintenance. I believe none of our profile progress data (cars in the garage, credits on hand, license and mission progress, etc.) is ever stored on the console but is on their servers and the game fetches only what's needed next during the loading screens. It's just loaded into RAM as needed when needed. This would perhaps explain why
  • it tries to connect to their servers first thing (to load into RAM your profile data)
  • offline mode doesn't work in any fashion in relation to your account/progress, like it doesn't even tell you how many credits you have right now (assuming you started the game after maintenance started)
  • starting the game right now takes forever at the initial loading screen to see the main menu

Why do this instead of storing the game data locally and syncing it with the cloud? Several reasons but the biggest being that it gives the developers control of the data since they're hosting the data and not your PS4/5. This can be really important as a developer for longevity of maintenance, the ability to change how/what data is stored and prevent conflicting save data

Extended Downtime
So having been on the receiving end of sever maintenance gone wrong and pulling all-nighters to help my team fix it, there's a lot of things that could cause this. Most likely it's a software/hardware change that can't be reversed, worked as expected when it was tested on the testing servers but went very wrong when they tried to apply the changes to the real servers. Example could be
  • changing the structure of the server data had some issues so they're fixing what went wrong and trying it again
  • they made changes to their server hardware on some hosting platform (Amazon's AWS, Google's GCP, etc.) and it went wrong
  • something as simple as all cars are showing up as costing 0 credits and wanting to fix that before turning off server maintenance mode

Fixing some of these can be hard, if the issue is related to a specific field of study (automation of server architecting or automation of code deployment, etc.) then there may be only a few engineers who have an idea how to fix it and they're working around the clock, possibly having gone without much sleep which can in turn make it harder to solve the problem.

I could cover a lot of other topics like how you can fix a bug that introduces more bugs but I typed a lot already haha. Though I can get into it if anyone's interested.

Reposted this because my last one is hidden for some reason

That video is pure gold!

Just 6-8hrs ago I was wanting a refund, but now I'm curious as to how this will all play out! I have a strange optimism that they're going to react to the backlash and set things right. Or maybe I'm just a masochist, always that possibility as well lol
It's good to stay optimistic in times of uncertainty. I applaud your decision to see this through. :)

I'll start with this since it could relate to the extended maintenance. I believe none of our profile progress data (cars in the garage, credits on hand, license and mission progress, etc.) is ever stored on the console but is on their servers and the game fetches only what's needed next during the loading screens. It's just loaded into RAM as needed when needed.
There's actually a workaround right now in the few arcade races where you can access your garage cars and tune them, so they're at least stored on the console.

1647577231248.png

4.9 and still dropping. Good one, Polyphony.

I have a few guesses at what's going on with the down time and some other things based on my experience as a Software Engineer.

Online Requirement
I'll start with this since it could relate to the extended maintenance. I believe none of our profile progress data (cars in the garage, credits on hand, license and mission progress, etc.) is ever stored on the console but is on their servers and the game fetches only what's needed next during the loading screens. It's just loaded into RAM as needed when needed. This would perhaps explain why
  • it tries to connect to their servers first thing (to load into RAM your profile data)
  • offline mode doesn't work in any fashion in relation to your account/progress, like it doesn't even tell you how many credits you have right now (assuming you started the game after maintenance started)
  • starting the game right now takes forever at the initial loading screen to see the main menu

Why do this instead of storing the game data locally and syncing it with the cloud? Several reasons but the biggest being that it gives the developers control of the data since they're hosting the data and not your PS4/5. This can be really important as a developer for longevity of maintenance, the ability to change how/what data is stored and prevent conflicting save data

Extended Downtime
So having been on the receiving end of sever maintenance gone wrong and pulling all-nighters to help my team fix it, there's a lot of things that could cause this. Most likely it's a software/hardware change that can't be reversed, worked as expected when it was tested on the testing servers but went very wrong when they tried to apply the changes to the real servers. Example could be
  • changing the structure of the server data had some issues so they're fixing what went wrong and trying it again
  • they made changes to their server hardware on some hosting platform (Amazon's AWS, Google's GCP, etc.) and it went wrong
  • something as simple as all cars are showing up as costing 0 credits and wanting to fix that before turning off server maintenance mode

Fixing some of these can be hard, if the issue is related to a specific field of study (automation of server architecting or automation of code deployment, etc.) then there may be only a few engineers who have an idea how to fix it and they're working around the clock, possibly having gone without much sleep which can in turn make it harder to solve the problem.

I could cover a lot of other topics like how you can fix a bug that introduces more bugs but I typed a lot already haha. Though I can get into it if anyone's interested.

By all means, feel free to deeper. I find this fascinating.

Online Requirement

Extended Downtime

Please continue. I know I’d like to read your thoughts on what’s possibly happening based on your experience.

It’s Driveclub all over again. Why must history repeat itself? These gaming companies should know better by now. I understand the need for profit because you can’t do 💩 for free but, seriously quality over quantity.
They get their profit from millions of sales at $70. It's enough. They're just greedy.

What a blood bath. Hopefully they pay attention.
Yeah that's... a good way to put it. All memes aside, it's so feckless of Sony to do this to what was once their #1 and undisputed franchise. But hey Baldy of War and Horizon are going just dandy aren't they?

Speaking of that I saw someone post "Don't know why everyone is complaining. Great game. Read my full review on GTP." with the user name JordanGTP, @Jordan is that you or an imposter?
That's an imposter. My personal Twitter account is @JordanMG, and I have never said that.

EDIT: Oh, I see you were referring to the Metacritic screenshot above. No, I have never posted anything on Metacritic. I don't think I even have an account there.

Last edited:
They get their profit from millions of sales at $70. It's enough. They're just greedy.
Technically that’s revenue… profit is revenue (total $ they make) minus expenditures (cost of making the game, discs, employee salaries and benefits, licenses [and that 💩s expensive as it is])
You’d be surprised how expensive it is to make a racing game with licensed cars, music, and tracks (especially Suzuka). It’s easily in the hundreds of millions even for PD. And that’s no joke.

Back