Gran Turismo Toyota Gazoo Racing GT Cup Returns for 2023 Season

• Thread starter Famine
  • 582 comments
Forgive the photo - screenshot/recording was disabled for the sign-up process

Image (2).jpeg

Ok online racing newb here because I don't. lol Anyway so what do they mean by the BoP Tuning prohibited mid-speed? I know what BoP is but what's the mid-speed part? So we can't mod the AE86 other than livery right?
Thanks.

Ok online racing newb here because I don't. lol Anyway so what do they mean by the BoP Tuning prohibited mid-speed? I know what BoP is but what's the mid-speed part? So we can't mod the AE86 other than livery right?
Thanks.
I entered Free Practice. We can only use the Levin or Sprinter. Aero parts are allowed(aero can’t be adjusted), but no widebody. Your livery stays intact, but the suspension parts, engine-transmission and exhaust, are stock.

Thanks.
Each track is either low-speed, mid-speed or high-speed.

There's a 'separate' BoP for each track speed. It just functions as a normal BoP though.

I wonder why GT1 League have only been getting 3 available time slots as of late? Makes it hard to compete for those with lives (all the races are during the middle of the day in my timezone when I am at work). Must admit I do appreciate the longer races lengths of 40-50 mins though.

Here's my Free Practice lap of 2'14.056.
Took quite some time to get this run, the car has an annoyingly awkward gear 2 and 3, in terms of spacing. Makes the slow speed hairpins quite challenging.

https://www.gran-turismo.com/gb/gt7/news/00_1191305.html

TGR Cup schedule is fully out.

GT1 races are (usually) 2x longer than the races for the leagues below. That's crazy.
If you want to do a full endurance race (like the Le Mans one) for example, if you're in GT1 you get a 17 lapper, but only 8 laps in GT2/3 - you're basically not allowed to do the full race because you aren't good enough.

I can't help but feel this entire league change is unappealing all around. You're stuck with less slots for being good, but stuck with shorter races if you aren't good enough to be in GT1. It's weird.
Very odd decision by PD, at least make sure GT2/3 get races with strategy too. I think the longer races should not be like that much less. Maybe 20-25% less race distance is fine 🤔 The no strat races do not need to be that short either.

I know I'll be skipping round 6, since Grand Valley is no good for me. Like why can't they have put sports cars there instead of gr3? Would be more fun and suitable imo. And this is not an opinion just because I am trash there in gr3 cars 😅

Last edited:
Very odd decision by PD, at least make sure GT2/3 get races with strategy too. I think the longer races should not be like that much less. Maybe 20-25% less race distance is fine 🤔 The no strat races do not need to be that short either.

I know I'll be skipping round 6, since Grand Valley is no good for me. Like why can't they have put sports cars there instead of gr3? Would be more fun and suitable imo. And this is not an opinion just because I am trash there in gr3 cars 😅
As a lower level player I am absolutely not happy to do a glorified sprint race knowing that the A level drivers are getting the full monty with a proper length race with strategy.

Last edited:
Only just read up on the Toyota Cup races and wow, that is one championship I will be boycotting!
As a GT2 racer the whole point in me racing in these GTWS events is that I like the fact the races are longer and the settings point towards some strategy. Im not happy at all that we have been given shorter races and the races are basically now Daily races. I’d love to know what PDs was thinking when they decided that? As a result of that decision I’m not going to enter this championship. Its obvious the Manufacturers and Nations will have the same settings too.

It’s an incentive for everyone to get good and join the GT1 ranks. :lol:

Me, I’ll just have a quick bit of fun in the loser leagues.

Last edited:
Only just read up on the Toyota Cup races and wow, that is one championship I will be boycotting!
As a GT2 racer the whole point in me racing in these GTWS events is that I like the fact the races are longer and the settings point towards some strategy. Im not happy at all that we have been given shorter races and the races are basically now Daily races. I’d love to know what PDs was thinking when they decided that? As a result of that decision I’m not going to enter this championship. Its obvious the Manufacturers and Nations will have the same settings too.
Yeah I can understand why. Imo this is a bad move by PD, I always thought GT7 was meant for everybody, equally. But apparently not, this is a move towards elitism imo, and also most players are B DR or below so this makes no sense at all.

Yeah the last GTWS exhibition season had the same format too (I think this was the first). Hopefully this trend doesn't continue into the main season otherwise whats the point of even entering when I'm gonna miss the majority of events due to only having 3 time slots available for GT1.
GT1 league races are now spread out 2 hours apart which I actually like as it allows for longer races but yeah it should be the same for all players across all leagues. How are the lower level drivers meant to get better when you don't give them the same chances to work on things like consistency and strategy?
Again this is further evidence to me that PD cares more about and caters more to the top GTWS drivers than the regular players which goes a long way to explaining a lot of the long term issues the game has.
It’s an incentive for everyone to get good and join the GT1 ranks. :lol:

Me, I’ll just have a quick bit of fun in the loser leagues.
But at the same time it's not because they have less timeslots to enter, therefore less races so makes it hard to enter a lot of the races because you know... life and for me in my timezone they are all in the middle of the day and for others I have heard they are at like 2am in the morning?!?
For me I'm not concerned about getting the most amount of points per round because its not like I'm going to be anywhere near the top of the leaderboard but if its a race combo that I like, I'd like to be able to repeat it a couple of times at least.

Yeah the last GTWS exhibition season had the same format too (I think this was the first). Hopefully this trend doesn't continue into the main season otherwise whats the point of even entering when I'm gonna miss the majority of events due to only having 3 time slots available for GT1.
Last exhibition round GT1 & GT2/3 had the same race settings, but quali had no tyre wear. Obviously the number slots available too was different.

GT1 league races are now spread out 2 hours apart which I actually like as it allows for longer races but yeah it should be the same for all players across all leagues. How are the lower level drivers meant to get better when you don't give them the same chances to work on things like consistency and strategy?
Again this is further evidence to me that PD cares more about and caters more to the top GTWS drivers than the regular players which goes a long way to explaining a lot of the long term issues the game has.

But at the same time it's not because they have less timeslots to enter, therefore less races so makes it hard to enter a lot of the races because you know... life and for me in my timezone they are all in the middle of the day and for others I have heard they are at like 2am in the morning?!?
For me I'm not concerned about getting the most amount of points per round because its not like I'm going to be anywhere near the top of the leaderboard but if its a race combo that I like, I'd like to be able to repeat it a couple of times at least.

It’s difficult as like you say the races should be the same for everyone, but then also I can see why PD have limited the GT1 slots.

GT1 racers. You have two groups of peoples.
Your serious drivers (GTWS drivers and those who are trying to make it as a GTWS drivers) and
Casual drivers (who just want to race and have no interest in qualifying for GTWS finals).

They should change the format for GT1 and run the slots every 2 hours from 9am & 9pm (been the last slot). Make 3 of those rounds only (5, 7 & 9pm) count towards the GTWS final points as this will draw in the top drivers into those top spittle lobbies to make them competitive and the other lobbies are just for fun lobbies that score points but they don’t count towards GTWS.
One thing that should be implemented to all leagues is race limit. GT1 - 3 race limit. GT2 - 5 race limit & GT3 - no limit.

As for GT2 & 3, I wouldn’t mind them following a similar path as too GT1. Slots every 2 hours, with the same race distance and with maybe a few setting changes.
I do wonder if PD check the stats on these longer races in lower leagues and see how many quit mid race? I wonder if the number of quitters is high and that why they reduced the race distance? Last round I did was Daytona and some quit lap 1 as they got pushed wide and fell down to P15 from P4. They was still 20+ laps to recover and still get a good result.

One thing I have found in GT2 league is that the races can be way more fun the. GT1 races. As everyone is on different skill levels in fuel saving or tyre saving you can find yourself in a race were a non stopper or a 1 stopper are nearly equal. Top Split races everyone just follows the same strategy.

Last exhibition round GT1 & GT2/3 had the same race settings, but quali had no tyre wear. Obviously the number slots available too was different.

It’s difficult as like you say the races should be the same for everyone, but then also I can see why PD have limited the GT1 slots.

GT1 racers. You have two groups of peoples.
Your serious drivers (GTWS drivers and those who are trying to make it as a GTWS drivers) and
Casual drivers (who just want to race and have no interest in qualifying for GTWS finals).

They should change the format for GT1 and run the slots every 2 hours from 9am & 9pm (been the last slot). Make 3 of those rounds only (5, 7 & 9pm) count towards the GTWS final points as this will draw in the top drivers into those top spittle lobbies to make them competitive and the other lobbies are just for fun lobbies that score points but they don’t count towards GTWS.
One thing that should be implemented to all leagues is race limit. GT1 - 3 race limit. GT2 - 5 race limit & GT3 - no limit.

As for GT2 & 3, I wouldn’t mind them following a similar path as too GT1. Slots every 2 hours, with the same race distance and with maybe a few setting changes.
I do wonder if PD check the stats on these longer races in lower leagues and see how many quit mid race? I wonder if the number of quitters is high and that why they reduced the race distance? Last round I did was Daytona and some quit lap 1 as they got pushed wide and fell down to P15 from P4. They was still 20+ laps to recover and still get a good result.

One thing I have found in GT2 league is that the races can be way more fun the. GT1 races. As everyone is on different skill levels in fuel saving or tyre saving you can find yourself in a race were a non stopper or a 1 stopper are nearly equal. Top Split races everyone just follows the same strategy.

If indeed GT2/GT3 have been having more quitters, it could be the cause of having so many slots to race in. Why complete a race, when your race is basically over and you can race again later very soon? Whereas if you have only a few slots, at least in GT1 I did notice the driving became slightly cleaner due to only a few chances, drivers take it seriously.

Imo they should have just kept the 5 slot system they had for quite long. Not that I usually need more than 1 or sometimes 2 tries, to extract the best result my pace warrants me 🤷

Last edited:
This is the first time I have come across this kind of initiative, and I would like to better understand how it works.
I have registered but one of the limitations I have is that I don't know in advance if and when I might be available for races.
How does the reservation work? Can I log on at the last minute and find a free spot in the next few minutes, or do I have to book well in advance with the risk of missing the date?

zjn
This is the first time I have come across this kind of initiative, and I would like to better understand how it works.
I have registered but one of the limitations I have is that I don't know in advance if and when I might be available for races.
How does the reservation work? Can I log on at the last minute and find a free spot in the next few minutes, or do I have to book well in advance with the risk of missing the date?
You just enter the race - up to 15 minutes beforehand - like any other GT esports series.

What a slog around Fuji in this premier race car. It’s slow and I’m slow far off pace and haven’t been bringing it down much in a couple of 30 minute sessions.
I’m still 5 seconds off top times and not so sure I’m going to find the extra 2-3 seconds to put me in my typical offset from the leaders.

Will be interesting if I don’t find better pace soon.

Any advice for this first race?

I don't own the car, and unless it's not appeared in the old car dealer in these days (I haven't checked yet), it will be a blind race for me

What a slog around Fuji in this premier race car. It’s slow and I’m slow far off pace and haven’t been bringing it down much in a couple of 30 minute sessions.
I’m still 5 seconds off top times and not so sure I’m going to find the extra 2-3 seconds to put me in my typical offset from the leaders.

Will be interesting if I don’t find better pace soon.
Same! And I can't drive fuji to save my life, from gr.1 to this thing. It's not a bad little car but I'll need to practice tonight and I could also use some advice. I use these races to practice my manual transmission, which, needs practice! Maybe I'll see you (likely at the back for me).

I haven't tested yet in free practice, but I'm assuming that the same rules where you can't use 3 pedals in daily sport mode races applies to this series as well? Pretty sad if we have to use paddle shifters for the 86.

EDIT: Same rules apply, paddle shifting only =/

Last edited:
Have to remember to do this race tonight. Just wish PD set the cars up as N2 machines. Or, at least, lower the suspension for appearances.

zjn
Any advice for this first race?

I don't own the car, and unless it's not appeared in the old car dealer in these days (I haven't checked yet), it will be a blind race for me
Not positive on this, as I haven't tried yet. But I believe you can rent an event specified car for the free practice if you do not have the car in your garage.

If this is true, I imagine the event will have a similar option.

I'm not even able to sign up for this championship. I can enter my email address, but I can't select the password field. When I try to move the cursor around and I end up top left, it's stuck until I leave this screen. I can't select the password field at all.

First time I'm trying to participate in a championship. I didn't expect needing to log in again with a web browser.

Any ideas?

IMG_9372.jpeg

Back