Gran Turismo World Series 2024 Thread

• Thread starter Pfei
  • 12,084 comments
My question: the real race allows overtake boost correct? are there any "overtake button for idiots" suggestions on how to use it strategically? aside from using it to overtake obviously, more asking for pace suggestions since im not sure how many actual overtake opportunities i'll have
If I'm using it for pace, I'll use a small burst at the start of long acceleration zones each lap just to get up to speed sooner and carry that benefit the whole way. I wouldn't use it for higher top speed unless its very late in the race and you still have a LOT of overtake to burn off.

I also tend to hold off on the overtake in the first stint, other than a short burst off the grid start to try counteract people behind using theirs to be opportunistic into turn 1.

YMMV, but I've found holding onto your overtake for later can result in lots of easy passes after people tend to spread out. It can also pressure some people into mistakes when your pace suddenly shoots up and they have no overtake left.

For Interlagos, I'm personally only planning on using it for pace coming out of the last bend for the run up to the start/finish line but I could see some people potentially using it on the run down to turn 4 as well.

If I'm using it for pace, I'll use a small burst at the start of long acceleration zones each lap just to get up to speed sooner and carry that benefit the whole way. I wouldn't use it for higher top speed unless its very late in the race and you still have a LOT of overtake to burn off.

I also tend to hold off on the overtake in the first stint, other than a short burst off the grid start to try counteract people behind using theirs to be opportunistic into turn 1.

YMMV, but I've found holding onto your overtake for later can result in lots of easy passes after people tend to spread out. It can also pressure some people into mistakes when your pace suddenly shoots up and they have no overtake left.

For Interlagos, I'm personally only planning on using it for pace coming out of the last bend for the run up to the start/finish line but I could see some people potentially using it on the run down to turn 4 as well.
this is exactly what i was thinking, which was influenced by thinking about how the 919 evo acceleration boost was preprogrammed for the record lap on the ring for pace

my primary reason for preserving would be to have it available for late race defense. I was racing against a slightly faster racer last night and was able to hold them off cleanly for around 10 laps (until i spun myself by dipping a rear off track) and was using short bursts for turn entry defense and turn exit advantage

I've been doing some strategy tests using Custom Races for the 20-lap GT2/3 race. Here are how things are looking from the tests I've run so far:

StrategyRace time
1RM-19RS27:01.590
5RM-15RS26:44.173
7RM-13RS27:00.821
9RM-11RS27:03.202

A few comments/observations from my practice:
  • The RS could last the entire race without changing them, if that were allowed. There is ~10-20% left on the tires at the end of the race when I tried. I was often still setting best sector times on the RSs in laps 15-18 and didn't see any appreciable impact on lap time until laps 19 and 20, and even then it seemed quite small.
  • My fastest lap in Free Practice is 1:16.500, but in race conditions my good laps are in the low 1:18s on RS and low 1:19s on RM. I expect this is going to be on the slow end of mid-B lobbies.
  • My best time so far is with the 5RM-15RS strategy, but I was having an unusually fast (for me) and consistent race for that one. Not sure how much of the difference is from my hot streak and how much from the strategy.
  • If my practice with AI cars in Custom Races are any indication, lap 1 -- and especially the first trip through Senna S -- is bound to be chaotic. I wonder if it might be smart to skip qualifying and run from the back to avoid some of it and pick up positions from cars getting pushed off the track and serving track limit penalties.
  • I'm not sure if it just a coincidence or something with the tire physics, but I've noticed that I'm having a surprisingly large amount of track excursions and crashes on the 6th lap of being on a set of tires. Doesn't seem to matter whether it is RMs or RSs. Not having problems on laps before or after.
  • As I expect to be on the slow end of the pace, in the race I'm going to try to focus on keeping the car on the track and avoiding the chaos.

I noticed I was in reverse just before the green light and panic shifted twice to start in 2nd (which may not have been a bad thing). I know I also switched TC but I don't know if that had a effect on it.

I only noticed because of the starting in reverse mention earlier.

I am on DD Pro if that helps.

Or just like they show on the GTWS events. I don't know why they don't use that. And it would be most helpful in VR!
I am also using a DD Pro and adjusting my TC was the only thing I did while waiting for the start. I don't think my settings had anything to do with it and my controller was on the table with nothing close by to be possible cause.

• I'm not sure if it just a coincidence or something with the tire physics, but I've noticed that I'm having a surprisingly large amount of track excursions and crashes on the 6th lap of being on a set of tires. Doesn't seem to matter whether it is RMs or RSs. Not having problems on laps before or after.
I've noticed this a few updates ago, around the 6th or 7th lap there would be a drastic temperary reduction in tire grip.

I had the same experience in offline custom races that after 15 laps “could” and “should” start blending. I also was getting less tire life than that in online lobby racing.

My fronts are cooked and I can’t hold flat out downforce turns after that whereas I can with the mediums after they warm up.

Last edited:
If RS tires could last an entire race, would a 19RS/1RM be viable?
Based off of what I've seen in the offline custom races, I would think so, but as @SupaflyIRL noticed,
I also was getting less tire life than that in online lobby racing.
I haven't tried any online lobbies, so I don't have any point of reference, but I definitely felt like in the Mazda race on Wednesday that the effects of tire wear were more pronounced than they were in the offline custom races I did beforehand. Maybe there are differences between the wear models in offline versus online.

Based off of what I've seen in the offline custom races, I would think so, but as @SupaflyIRL noticed,

I haven't tried any online lobbies, so I don't have any point of reference, but I definitely felt like in the Mazda race on Wednesday that the effects of tire wear were more pronounced than they were in the offline custom races I did beforehand. Maybe there are differences between the wear models in offline versus online.
I tried a custom race, but it was hardly clean. I'm not as used to the default setups on these cars. Best I could say is that it's probably as good as any other tire strategy.

I might recommend the overcut if you're P2 or P3 before everyone else starts pitting.

I think the grid start is going to catch a lot of people off guard. Car launches good in TC1 though, so I'd recommend that. Then survive T1, I'll be practicing my braking point for that tomorrow.

Practiced quite a bit for this.

Did a custom 20 lap race. Put BB at +3. After 16 laps my right rear was dead. I guess that +2 is 8s the sweet spot for even wear. I also feel like +2 and +3 make the car more stable. Looks like my tire saving skills are pretty much non existent compared to you other guys.

I usually drive without assists but here I need TC1. I crash way too often without it.

Interestingly I spun 2 times in my 4 laps on mediums. Crazy how much the tire grip matters with these high powered down force monsters. But yeah of course better throttle control would help.

In free practice I topped out at 1:15.8. My race pace was way worse though and I am way too error prone.

I am very excited for the races. Will be able to do the whole 5 races in the afternoon batch in GT3 B lobbies. Will do all of them even if I win one of the earlier ones. (won't happen)

Good luck to all and don't forget to map that DRS button. I personally put it on the circle button where the hand brake is by default.

An official announcement of the official announcement for the final race has been posted here:

"Race details for the previously unannounced Round 4 of the current 'World Series - Nations Cup - 2023/24 Exhibition Series Season 2' will be released on Thursday 25 January."

Love that they're giving us a whole two days to practice for it. :rolleyes:
Fiat 500 at Daytona Tri-oval!

I Hope Please GIF

Kidding! :lol:

An official announcement of the official announcement for the final race has been posted here:

"Race details for the previously unannounced Round 4 of the current 'World Series - Nations Cup - 2023/24 Exhibition Series Season 2' will be released on Thursday 25 January."

Whoa PD, not so hasty! Wouldn't it be better to make an announcement of the forthcoming announcement of the announcement of the announcement?

I still want 60s sports cars at Goodwood.

Last edited:
Wonder if it’s a North American circuit(the last circuit added is North American). The schedule has circuits represented from three corners of the earth(for the flat earthers out there). One from Europe, Asia and South America. Having the Gilles Villenueve circuit using the F-T1500 would be about right.

Quick session of free practice with the Super Formula.
With my buttons' steering it is going to be a challenge to keep this car on the black part of the track.
Lap of 16.1 looks good but I doubt I will manage something like that in the qualis.

I almost feel sorry for the ones that will be racing with me (EMEA, GT3, low B/S - beware:lol:), but I love Interlagos too much to skip it.

Are you guys doing any changes to the damping ratios that are allowed?

Also, about the DRS. My Toyota doesn't have the DRS indicator that other cars equipped with this have. Also there's nothing opening in the wing when I press the assigned button. So how does it work here?

I've done a bit more strategy testing for the GT2/3 race, and it looks like I have a new leading strategy in 2RM-18RS with an overall time of 26:34.880. I also tested the 3RM-17RS strategy, which was also pretty good with a time of 26:40.485. These were all in offline custom races, so the tire wear may not have matched what will be in the race.

From here on out, I'm going to focus on running practice races with a full field of cars, employing the boost in the straights to improve my pace.

Races are coming up soon. Good luck, everyone! May every rapid downshift leave you in the gear you intended.

Also, about the DRS. My Toyota doesn't have the DRS indicator that other cars equipped with this have. Also there's nothing opening in the wing when I press the assigned button. So how does it work here?
The car does not have DRS. It has push-to-pass and you will see how much boost you have in the HUD.

EDIT: I think it's important to add that boost is only available in qualifying and race sessions. You will not be able to use the boost nor see it in the HUD in practice sessions.

Last edited:
I've done a bit more strategy testing for the GT2/3 race, and it looks like I have a new leading strategy in 2RM-18RS with an overall time of 26:34.880. I also tested the 3RM-17RS strategy, which was also pretty good with a time of 26:40.485. These were all in offline custom races, so the tire wear may not have matched what will be in the race.

From here on out, I'm going to focus on running practice races with a full field of cars, employing the boost in the straights to improve my pace.

Races are coming up soon. Good luck, everyone! May every rapid downshift leave you in the gear you intended.
Just tried the 2RM-18RS strat in an Asia/Oceania slot, worked pretty well for me.

The car does not have DRS. It has push-to-pass and you will see how much boost you have in the HUD.

EDIT: I think it's important to add that boost is only available in qualifying and race sessions. You will not be able to use the boost nor see it in the HUD in practice sessions.
Qualifier has boost? I thought I saw on the Race Info screen the boost multiplier was 0.0 and for the race it's default. I assumed that meant we won't have boost to qualify.

That means an update on Thursday then.

That means an update on Thursday then.
Hopeful for a new track, but my expectations are tempered.

But yes, strong indications point to an update for the 25th of January. Most are predicting we'll get the Kaz silhouette post this weekend.

While it would be somewhat unfortunate to have reduced practice time for the race on the 27th, at least everyone will be on the same playing field.

Well I had Mark Webber's luck in that one.
I was able to set good times but was wary of the car snapping randomly out of Pinheirinho.
Into the qualy and annoyingly anther driver exits behind me and close enough to be on my mind. I set my fastest lap on the first lap and it is provisionally P6. By the time others cross it is P8. My next lap is slower and the car behind gets closer. Thanks go to an Italian who started on Meds and who pit for softs pulling over out of the pits for us on fast laps. I'm also surprised to see that I'll get a 3rd lap in. But alas it is way slower due to the obligatory spin out of Pinheirinho. Pushing too much due to the car behind I'm putting it down to.

On the grid I set tc to 1 and try to find my handbrake but hit the camera button instead. By the time I'm back to my normal camera the time counts down so just go. Not the best launch but it is safe. I loose a place due to it but I'm able to find a space in the first part of the Senna S due to the melee. However in the 2nd part I get nudged into another car who subsequently runs wide.
6af15565ce09e91708708a49a439914c_photo.webp

Guess who gets a penalty and who doesn't. Yup, me but nobody else.

I loose a few positions into Curva Do Sol thanks to having to prevent a spin due to the hits. I'm now behind a Turk who has 4.5 seconds of penalty to my 3. At least I won't be last at the end of the lap I think. Well somehow they seem to bin their 4.5 seconds before my 3 seconds. I'm not sure how they did that but it annoys me. Somehow we're not last. Their braking is horrible, they are braking early and still running wide. I unfortunately give them a tap into the right hander after Ferradura due to this. They stay ahead though. Then the same happens at Bico do Pato and I get 2 seconds for it. I'm really annoyed now as this driver is all over the place and I'm paying for it for trying to be clean. The next lap the car decides it is time for the obligatory spin out of Pinheirinho and I am now DFL. I pit lap 5 for softs and hope the clean air will do me good. It sorta does. I'm a few seconds of the pack when the majority of them do pit. I still can't seem to make inroads. I claim a position thanks to a late pitter and 2 further ones due to spinners (Not by their design I'd bet) over the last 2 laps. In the end I finish P11 so it is only a net loss of 1 place in the end but something didn't click here for me despite it being a round I'd enjoy the combo at. A little like the Spa round.

Top split in Oceania slot 1.

Minimal practice resulted in q12.

Took it very easy into turn 1 and let the carnage play out in front of me. By turn 4 I was p9. Got held up in the infield by p8 for 3 laps and the front 7 cleared out. Then, on lap 4 p8 braked a bit earlier than expected and I tapped his rear giving me front wing damage and reducing my top speed by 12kmh. 10 laps in and the cars that had gone off earlier were back on us and 2 went by without a fight. P8 got himself sideways and p6 ran off the track, still p10. Another early casualty went by me and when I pitted on lap 14 I was p11.

The last half of the race was relatively smooth and I picked up a couple of spots as a 2 stopper took his second stop and I caught and passed someone running their second stint on mediums.

Into the last 3 laps and the 2 in front had obviously lost their tyres as they were all over the place and dropping about a second a lap.

On lap 29, p8 binned it and then p4 disconnected. Almost caught p6 but he hung on despite the worn tyres.

P7, 191 points, one and done.

I don't get why the default downforce (which is locked through BoP) is so low on the Super Formula cars. The defaults are at minimum and it destroys the enjoyment of these cars.

I ran a SF season in a private league with downforce settings enabled, and having it near max totally transforms the way the SF cars drive. You can really push and they are actually a lot faster with higher downforce. With the default setting they are not enjoyable to drive or race at all. I think I will probably skip this SF round. After having raced with the SF cars the way they should be raced I can't bring myself to attempt this Nations round with the downforce locked at minimum. It's a shame because these cars are a joy with downforce at 50% or higher.
Must admit I did a few laps yesterday in TT and the car doesn’t feel great to drive. I noticed as soon as I start to get on a kerb the cars rear end would lose all traction and spin me.
Seeing how the X19 went at Spa with people driving the cars like they were bumper cars, I’m considering on slipping this round too.

I've been doing some strategy tests using Custom Races for the 20-lap GT2/3 race. Here are how things are looking from the tests I've run so far:

StrategyRace time
1RM-19RS27:01.590
5RM-15RS26:44.173
7RM-13RS27:00.821
9RM-11RS27:03.202

A few comments/observations from my practice:
  • The RS could last the entire race without changing them, if that were allowed. There is ~10-20% left on the tires at the end of the race when I tried. I was often still setting best sector times on the RSs in laps 15-18 and didn't see any appreciable impact on lap time until laps 19 and 20, and even then it seemed quite small.
  • My fastest lap in Free Practice is 1:16.500, but in race conditions my good laps are in the low 1:18s on RS and low 1:19s on RM. I expect this is going to be on the slow end of mid-B lobbies.
  • My best time so far is with the 5RM-15RS strategy, but I was having an unusually fast (for me) and consistent race for that one. Not sure how much of the difference is from my hot streak and how much from the strategy.
  • If my practice with AI cars in Custom Races are any indication, lap 1 -- and especially the first trip through Senna S -- is bound to be chaotic. I wonder if it might be smart to skip qualifying and run from the back to avoid some of it and pick up positions from cars getting pushed off the track and serving track limit penalties.
  • As I expect to be on the slow end of the pace, in the race I'm going to try to focus on keeping the car on the track and avoiding the chaos.
Nice data! Seen your newer post about 2/18 split.
Looking at your info, I think for me a 2/18 or 3/17 might be my plan today. I think with the way these car handle, I’d rather play it safe on mediums for a lap or 2 extra then risk softs been very worn.

Qualifier has boost? I thought I saw on the Race Info screen the boost multiplier was 0.0 and for the race it's default. I assumed that meant we won't have boost to qualify.
Just to clarify there is no boost in qualifying.

Did one of these last night on the AO account (really nice to be able to do one on a Friday night if my Saturday is booked). Not too fond of this combo, honestly. That being said, the race was pretty entertaining for all the wrong reasons.

My qualifying time was garbage as I couldn't put a lap together. It's a short track with a fast car so you can get three laps in. First lap was bad; second lap I was impeded by someone who almost spun and we sliding sideways, then decided to get back on the racing line despite his or her lap already being ruined; third lap was also bad but a little less bad than the first. Didn't help, though, as I was starting Q9.

So, I was starting on RMs. Happy to say the first lap was void of any major carnage, at least for me. The Senna esses were pretty clean and everyone was able to stay on track. Going into T3 someone did get pushed off track and there were some slow cars so I was able to pick up a couple freebies. From there I was just trying to stay in tow of the gaggle of cars in front who I presumed were on RS due to their pace. Ultimately, I fell out of toe and on lap six I pit for RS tires.

Because of the Wed to Sat (well, Fri night for me) turnaround between events, I really didn't have time to practice set-ups or tire wear. Thanks to some people here was well as some streamers I like (like ImMullet (@ImMullet3), good dude, ~75k DR US player, small channel if anyone is interested), 15 laps seemed to be a good number for the RS tires. I decided to play it a little safe just in case and do the 6/14 strat.

There were some open lapping sessions for a bit after that as different strats played out, as I see the gap to the leader dropping bit-by-bit as his RS tires start to wear. I started pushing hard as I wanted to put in the purple lap as I do think it plays a psychological roll on whomever you are racing if they see that, and after a couple of laps I did.

Fast forward as the front runners start to pit and one-by-one they come out behind me, until lap 16 (I think) when the leader pit. I didn't think I had made up enough time on him and as I come out of the Sennas I was right; he was ~ one second ahead. Darn. We were now in P3 and P4 respectively as a pair of drivers hadn't pit. On lap 19, one of them did for RS but the other didn't.

As we start lap 20, the original leader and I were P2 and P3 and I wasn't able to real him in on my worn softs, losing about .500" over the previous laps. I really didn't think the guy in P1 had pit but there is no way of knowing; at this point I think you guys know where this is going. The three of us get to the infield - with me still healthily behind - P1 and P2 start fighting, side-by-sides and minor contact. Coming out of the last turn I was right there and because they went side-by-side I was able to get a clean run, hit the last bit of boost, and overtake them both before the finish line for the win.

And, sure enough, the driver in the Ferrari livery never pit (ironic, eh? #Ferraristrat) and cost the player in the silver car the win as I wouldn't have caught him otherwise. He was, understandably, not happy in the chat afterwards.

c4912f0d67a5ea7cf4d4c33a7897b4e0_photo.webp

f0a60dcebf62d372ad3b7ec214561c9e_photo.webp

6ce3dc696ab2b02155000253d01efe8c_photo.webp

Lap two where it almost ended before it had a chance to begin.

9c0f5131c9e1ea01ef6e153bcd52019b_photo.webp

At the line...

498f7498e60d625eb0e0a09ca2ba92ff_photo.webp

61a16ffb25114ad682b748dd4fb0f641_photo.webp

Back