GT5 Spec 2.0 Physics Update - What to expect?

• Thread starter Illopp00
  • 81 comments
drama-kyd
I'm definitely looking forward to physics update, hopefully PD gets the physics right and the Delorean disappears leaving flaming tire marks on the track when it hits 88 mph, as it does in real life.

I've never seen truer words spoken on this board. :bowdown:

I'm hoping for better crash physics(yeah right -_-) and PLZZZ PLZZ PLZ add a better sense of speed the only time i get a good sense of speed is in cockpit view and there are very few premium cars compared to standard ones.

The sense of speed can't be altered artificially by tweaking the physics, assuming that indicated tachometer speeds in GT5 are correct (I have no doubt that they are).

Everyone is complaining about the online physics and how you can't do wheelies, rollovers etc. online. So here's the deal.

What people want: Online races use the current offline physics.

What will actually happen: PD will apply the online physics to offline game modes.

new5_muttley.gif

Been lapping nurb lately with some certain cars (offline), will be interesting to compare old physics to the new ones. I hope it goes into a right direction :scared:

I'm waiting for complete overhaul and especially the online & offline need to match 100%.

How about physics where I can get off the starting grid with my 200hp FR car without feathering the throttle... Seriously, it's like we're racing on ice.

Jai
Hopefully they don't allow rollover physics online, the glitch count will shoot up.

Well then that should give them another thing to fix if they can't get it right. Cars should roll in online.

I assume we will have better more realistic slip stream and probably better tyre physics in relation to wear. There may be some other little tweaks thst will go un notcied too. Also Probably the A.I will improve but to what extent is anybodies guess. Impact physics between cars that contact may also improve. I would not expect a huge overhall, just additional tweeks.

They should definitely improve rollovers and the causes of their initiation in particular (tire physics, suspension modeling, off road bumpiness, center of gravity of many cars). There's a reason why it's very important in real life to strive as much as possible to keep the car straight when going off the track. In GT5 it seems that with tires less grippy than racing soft ones it's essentially impossible to roll over a car. You can usually get away with maneuvers that in real life would result in catastrophic rollovers, even with average summer tires.

One of the best stock cars in game on Sport Hard tires, what do you find that needs to be improved?

Well first off, although it's nothing to do with physics, the exhaust sound is just all wrong!👎

The car's handling just feels so far from everything I've heard and read! Ridiculous understeer/oversteer. All I ever hear about is this cars unbelievable grip, but in game it doesn't have any...? Then there is the skitish ride, any sort of bump (Trial Mountain, Nurburgring) this car is of the track or in the railings...

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love this car and have it perfectly tuned. But from stock this car doesn't feel right IMHO :odd:

Check out my Galleries and you'll see what I talking about! Got nuff love for this car!

One of the best stock cars in game on Sport Hard tires, what do you find that needs to be improved?

Agreed I just started driving this car recently. And I have been missing out. Now most of the cars I drive now are completely stock, way more fun imo.

Well first off, although it's nothing to do with physics, the exhaust sound is just all wrong!👎

The car's handling just feels so far from everything I've heard and read! Ridiculous understeer/oversteer. All I ever hear about is this cars unbelievable grip, but in game it doesn't have any...? Then there is the skitish ride, any sort of bump (Trial Mountain, Nurburgring) this car is of the track or in the railings...

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love this car and have it perfectly tuned. But from stock this car doesn't feel right IMHO :odd:

Check out my Galleries and you'll see what I talking about! Got nuff love for this car!

This car is meant be driven with TC on, at least that is the way it is supposed to be drivein irl. It's one of the fastest cars irl on the TGTT.

This car is meant be driven with TC on, at least that is the way it is supposed to be drivein irl. It's one of the fastest cars irl on the TGTT.

So can you achieve the real life TGTT time with comfort soft tyres on then....?

So can you achieve the real life TGTT time with comfort soft tyres on then....?

I wasn't even talking about tires. And I don't know if I could. If there was a standing start I would love to try.

Are you saying that from the factory this car comes with and equivelant of a comfort soft? I would think it woul atleast come with a Z rated tire or better.

Last edited:
The problem is that Sports Hard tires in GT5 are essentially semi-slick tires. Very few production street cars come equipped with such tires. The ideal for the Mercedes SLS would have been something between that and Comfort Soft tires, but leaning more toward the latter.

I hope they'll fix the tire system and physics anyway. It's a mess right now.
Apparent tire size does seem to have a significant effect on longitudinal grip, but it seems almost irrilevant for lateral grip, where it's the tire class that counts the most. I still think they should separate tire data from car specifications and implement some sort of "tire shop" where one could choose tire type, model, size, etc according to the selected car (and be able to fit a set of tires on different cars), but I doubt this will appear in Spec 2.0 or in GT5 at all.

Apparent tire size does seem to have a significant effect on longitudinal grip, but it seems almost irrilevant for lateral grip, where it's the tire class that counts the most. I still think they should separate tire data from car specifications and implement some sort of "tire shop" where one could choose tire type, model, size, etc according to the selected car (and be able to fit a set of tires on different cars), but I doubt this will appear in Spec 2.0 or in GT5 at all.

I don't think we will ever see anything like this ever in GT. Maybe when they have 3 times the amount of people and tons of time to kill. It's never been done, they don't look at other games, its to much of a radical change to the core GT and if they try they will make it to complex and over do much of it and it will resort in a half done model like damage.

The problem is that Sports Hard tires in GT5 are essentially semi-slick tires. Very few production street cars come equipped with such tires. The ideal for the Mercedes SLS would have been something between that and Comfort Soft tires, but leaning more toward the latter.

I think it is implemented... why do you think RM cars have more grip (even with downforce at 0) than their counterparts fully upgraded (or upgraded to the same specs) ? because of lateral grip... you cant fit larger tires on a car that doesnt have a wider body... and basicly that and downforce are the main diferences beetwen Race cars/RM and normal cars fully upgraded... IMO its implemented but on a realistics level.

I didn't say it isn't, just that it appears to have noticeably more effect on longitudinal grip (accelerating, braking) than on lateral grip. In other words, taking out downforce from the equation, that different cars with the same tire type (for example Sports Hard) and optimally tuned suspensions, but different apparent tire size, will perform about the same on lateral grip performance, but you will definitely feel the difference when braking or accelerating.

Try fitting Comfort Soft tires on a Fiat 500 (old model)... it will pull off constant ~0.95 G of lateral acceleration like more modern cars. The car has got 125 mm wide tires in real life.
Of course, this is with no driving aid enabled.

makes me wonder, why can or cant we beat RL lap times on stock cars IF the tire modelling is all wrong ? For example, I got 1.33.638 lap time with complete stock ACR Viper, while in rl, it is also 1.33.xxx, is that completely wrong then ?
Been this way with alot of cars I've tested around, Ofcourse, I myself arent that "pro" in GT5 but I think I'm above average atleast, and so far I know, I doubt that many GT5 players has ever been on rl track with a supercar, like Mclaren F1 for example, so how could a gamer tell is it wrong or not ? Explain me please.

I remember that somebody discovered in GT4 among hidden car data (in the DVD, not directly in-game) a "grip multiplier" parameter which varied from car to car. That was probably some kind of fudging value added to obtain lap times comparable to real life. We can't exclude that a similar thing is not in GT5 as well, but there's no way to know at the moment.

Back