GT7 Daily Race Discussion

• Thread starter Pigems
  • 36,372 comments
I watched Kie do race C this morning and I was baffled by the amount of fuel saving messing about you have to do. Literally changing from map 1 - 6 and everything in between at every turn. What exactly is this meant to be ‘simulating’ a little coasting and short shifting to give a quicker pit stop is one thing, but this is ludicrous.
I just had a quick look at his stream. He is a quicker* driver than me, but my race times short shifting in the 911 are quicker than his. A lot of those streamers assume they know the best strat/car combo and it becomes a self-reinforcing circle of ignorance. They all persisted in the BRZ at Suzuka when it was nowhere near META.
Jumped on my B account to try some Daily Cs, with no quali. The winner was in the 911 and no stopped. I watched the replay I couldn't tell what his fuel map was but he was shifting at like 7.5-8k. If you can run FM1 and just short shift, the lobbies will be full of Porsches soon enough. Not to mention, the majority of the top quali times are the Porsche, so this week's META may whittling away to the 911. Every track/strat is going to have a META; if it's the Porsche that'd cool as it's something completely different.

Anyway, I did three races: one with the BRZ, one with the FT1, and one with the Jag. The first two were fuel savings and, I just don't like it. It's not as fun for me. Last one was in the Jag and was just push-push-push with a stop of course. It was more fun but unfortunately with a like 35s pit stop delta, I don't feel a one-stopped will even be viable. At least at Suzuka it was kinda-viable as one race I started P7 and finished P3 in the Jag. Not to mention if the FM is up, the radar can't be. Dumb.

Regardless, I set a quali time in the Vette on the A account, a 1:55.9. There is tons more time to be had.

I'm hoping, people much more tallanted than me will figure out the Porsche with short shifting works on a no-stop. Otherwise, I'll probably sit out race C this week... at least on the A account. I miss last week's C at the Glen already.
The likely candidates for competitive no stop racing at NGP are the 911 (the only one I've tried in-race), Jag, RCF and AMG. There could be others, but these are the ones I'd try first. To be honest, the fuel is less of an issue than the tyres by the end. The cars are very slippery on the last lap.

Last edited:
I'll be trying my luck at Interlagos this week. I set my qualifying time at a 1:40.9XX so far in the Gr4. Vantage. I used this car in the Manufacture's Cup test seasons, and found it to be stable and easy to control. I don't know if it can outrun the WRX or the Alfa 155, but I'll see what it can do tomorrow.

I am pretty handy around NGP, it rewards heavy braking, just enough wiggle in the rear and someone who prioritizes exits. I have it as ny 2nd ir 3rd best track, though I always struggle with the first right hander in sector 2, a manual is really needed here to rotate the car.

In GTS, I would use the AMG which loved kerbs, tc2, HURL it over the last chicane and as she landed, fill beans on tc2. Would gain half a second on the field. This won't work in gt7.

Tried a lot of cars, could not get the AMG to work for me at all. The Lancer has a great lap in it but for a car with its handling profile, I couldn't trust the rear end on the gas.

Managed to get every other car into the 56s.

BEETLE: feels super fast but can't quite bank on that rear end under hard throttle. 1.56.8.

VETTE: this is the car if you can really drive, usually a good fuel miser too if you short shift. Huge speed and great rotation, struggling to avoid wheel spin. If you are a highly rated driver, this feels fastest. Ran a 1.56.8.

911: oh man, I could go way, way, way faster in this car if i could adjust brake balance. Outstanding corner exit security but man, corner entry, rear always wants to come around. so much potential. 1.56.8

Z4: my favorite all rounder, usual issue with understeer but for rwd, I can trust it. On a race as the fronts wear i fear the understeer. 1.56.8.

MCLAREN: never felt as good as the 911 other than better corner entry, put together a solid lap and only car I could chuck through the chicane. 1.56.6

Will try more tomorrow.

Could you post up more details about this? I tried following the settings exactly and after triple checking it, it doesn't even calculate the PP, it gives an error icon for it. Assuming NO widebody, what about rim width and size, GT Auto parts, etc. Trying to figure out what I'm missing or why it's not matching up for me, please and thank you.
Only extra is taking the rear wing off but it still has rear downforce like the stock wing so it might not matter.

Yeah im struggling with it like Bathurst.
Im struggling with the curbs. I’m hitting them too quickly which is then unsettling the car and I’m slow off exit. Used the McLaren and that thing glides over the curbs but just can’t string a lap together, 1.59 was my best in the McLaren.
Its not dissimilar to bathurst. Exits, exits, exits. Prioritize exits at all costs. Bathurst you have t1, t2 and Forrest elbow, oh and the last corner. NGP you have 6 corners......exits.

Daily race A seems that same cars that worked at Laguna Seca 450pp daily race A seems to work again quite well. So far I've done a 1.20.9 in a F430. Easy to do consistently low 1.21s in the race too. Will try out a few other cars too, Delta wasn't the best on the stock engine, maybe you need to engine swap it for more power?

The issue in daily race A, aside from the squatted ride heights, is to know what type of cars and drivers you will be up against beforehand. F430 can win most races so easily, but some races you are matched up against even a sub 1.20 runner or two. Those are the races you prefer to have your fastest car in 🤔

Holy
censored.gif
the top lap now for Race A is going over 190 mph on the backstretch. I don't mind squatting the cars and making the rear suspension soft to get to 155 maybe 160 in a RWD, 170 is a bit much but I managed, but 190 in a 4WD is just stupid. PD needs to go back to the GT6 performance point system where a car could maybe at max be 3 seconds faster than the average on a track this size, but over ten seconds faster is just plain broken. It was looking like although exploiting was needed 500 pp at this track gave 10 or so top cars within about 2 seconds of each other (including the Hellcat and '02 Viper) but now that's gone. At least 4WD needs banned if PD can't fix the entire system.

i've said it before and I'll say it again

we need more than 3 daily races
We can't fill 3 races week-to-week without D and A+ drivers in the same races. 4 will just mean fields are even thinner. A better solution would be to ditch race B as a "Race C lite" and do something better with that format. Maybe choose from 5 track-specific balanced (non-Gr3/4) cars? Power-to-weight limits? Something interesting that isn't just a test of how good you are at finding calculation glitches.

I'll be trying my luck at Interlagos this week. I set my qualifying time at a 1:40.9XX so far in the Gr4. Vantage. I used this car in the Manufacture's Cup test seasons, and found it to be stable and easy to control. I don't know if it can outrun the WRX or the Alfa 155, but I'll see what it can do tomorrow.
I was 1.5 to 2 seconds faster in my first scruffy lap in the WRX than any lap I could manage in the Vantage, Genesis, Jag, etc, even though those were much cleaner laps, nailing all the exits.

In the race the top 12 places were AWD.
I passed a FR ahead on the rolling start before we’d even hit the start/finish line on the main straight.

Suffice to say, the AWDs are still overpowered, entered by idiots who can’t drive any way but ramming, and it’s ruining any Gr4 race.

Its not dissimilar to bathurst. Exits, exits, exits. Prioritize exits at all costs. Bathurst you have t1, t2 and Forrest elbow, oh and the last corner. NGP you have 6 corners......exits.
Yep that was my first thought when racing yesterday. I’m having the same struggles like I did at Bathurst. My biggest problem is Ive not really done many competitive lap round here in a race car so I’m leaving a lot of lap time still on the track, but T1-T4 I can gain or lose half a second, the hairpin bad exit and you lose time up the hill, the chicane and the last corner again I can lose up to half second.
What I need is to see laps that are closer to my times. I’ve watch a few videos of the leader but when they are 5 seconds quicker it hard to learn from them I think.

We can't fill 3 races week-to-week without D and A+ drivers in the same races. 4 will just mean fields are even thinner. A better solution would be to ditch race B as a "Race C lite" and do something better with that format. Maybe choose from 5 track-specific balanced (non-Gr3/4) cars? Power-to-weight limits? Something interesting that isn't just a test of how good you are at finding calculation glitches.
or maybe actual daily races will be more fun, instead of these weekly races we have now.

or maybe actual daily races will be more fun, instead of these weekly races we have now.
They could even - shock - mix it up and have one run all week, one change every 2 or 3 days and the other change every day.

If this was too much work then randomise it (within set parameters maybe) and automate the process.

Would still be more engaging than what we currently get.

Without Car Change !!! So all have to make the Qualifying with that Car what they use at Race.
I think this is nice in concept but it would just make the races even more of a one-make than they are now. At least right now, people can qualify in a fast car and then switch it up in the race; I do that all the time.

If I had to qualify competitively on the spot? I'm not sure anyone would dare switch from what's "best" at that point, you'd just be starting near the bottom of the grid all the time because of the time the car is losing you. Fine in lower DRs, I'm sure, as you have more time to find on track, but I think that'd kill higher DR participation, or at the every least destroy any of the little variety left up there.

I think this is nice in concept but it would just make the races even more of a one-make than they are now. At least right now, people can qualify in a fast car and then switch it up in the race; I do that all the time.

If I had to qualify competitively on the spot? I'm not sure anyone would dare switch from what's "best" at that point, you'd just be starting near the bottom of the grid all the time because of the time the car is losing you. Fine in lower DRs, I'm sure, as you have more time to find on track, but I think that'd kill higher DR participation, or at the every least destroy any of the little variety left up there.
I can understand your thoughts on this.. but... I can't quite agree with them. I think it would be more like it would be a lot more interesting.. OK you would have to use 100% Ghost or similar mechanics in qualifying for it to be really fair to EVERYONE.. And it would rather result in the field being reshuffled all the time .
From my point of view, an average would also be conceivable. You do your qualifying for the week now, but you also have to do one before the race.. and the average of these two times then gives the start time for the race.
And I find it exciting and also right that you have to use the same vehicle in the race that you use to set your Q time. Based on the real world, you don't make your Q in a Huracan and then race in a BMW.

I can understand your thoughts on this.. but... I can't quite agree with them. I think it would be more like it would be a lot more interesting.. OK you would have to use 100% Ghost or similar mechanics in qualifying for it to be really fair to EVERYONE.. And it would rather result in the field being reshuffled all the time .
From my point of view, an average would also be conceivable. You do your qualifying for the week now, but you also have to do one before the race.. and the average of these two times then gives the start time for the race.
And I find it exciting and also right that you have to use the same vehicle in the race that you use to set your Q time. Based on the real world, you don't make your Q in a Huracan and then race in a BMW.

It wouldn’t even need to be this complicated. You just get the same 15 minute FP session as now, but your best time in that is your qualy time. If you quit out for any reason it resets. Very simple.

It would also mean you could choose to no qualy any race.

Last edited:
I can do a 1:40:9xx in the Huracan. I find it a pleasure to drive around Interlagos. Gonna stick with it for a few days I think.

Had some fun racing with @Bullwinkle yesterday on my B account. Was cool to drive around with another GTP person. I was wondering what you were thinking on that first race... probably like, "WTF is this guy doing?!?" haha. I recognized your name during the pre-race chat but wasn't able to type fast enough. So when I came up on you at the end, I was just saying "hi" with all that swerving/flashers/slowing/etc.

Bull, you should put in a quali time. Starting at the back can be brutal. I saw you get taken out a couple times, but we got revenge on a couple of them as well. :D I know there were likely more I didn't see. Honestly, I just wanted to race with you a little bit. Even if it was just the two of us driving around I figured it'd be fun to get away from the riff-raff.

I was having fun and as the races went on I could tell you were improving! You obviously have the chops to compete given your win at the Glen last week (I might have been in that race as well, in the Viper, which was horrible; I pitted twice so I could steal the FL at the end which I did haha). Maybe I'll see you out there again; I have a feeling I'll bee spending more time on my B account than my A account this week as I am not a huge fan of this track. And, although I started getting along with the Porsche okay, definitley not my favorite car either.

GGs all around.

fa88cecaa32558c845ce4f1b0a4842d2_photo.webp

Last edited:
I checked out race A last night in the S Barker Tourer. Fun car to drive / drift through the corners. I didn't glitch tune it though, set the brakes back to normal and reduced power a bit to get below 500 pp. I can do 1:28 / 1:29 laps with it but the glitch tunes were already doing 1:22 laps. Not much of a race, following the field from behind, picking up positions from quitters :/

Another mode where matching on race pace would be much better than on DR (that doesn't adjust in race A). I doubt PD can fix the PP system, easier to take the avg of people's last 5 best laps or so and use that for matching.

Oh well, got plenty more single player content to finish in Forza 7. Time for a break from GT7 again.

Yep that was my first thought when racing yesterday. I’m having the same struggles like I did at Bathurst. My biggest problem is Ive not really done many competitive lap round here in a race car so I’m leaving a lot of lap time still on the track, but T1-T4 I can gain or lose half a second, the hairpin bad exit and you lose time up the hill, the chicane and the last corner again I can lose up to half second.
What I need is to see laps that are closer to my times. I’ve watch a few videos of the leader but when they are 5 seconds quicker it hard to learn from them I think.
Yeah the first sector is really difficult to master. Absolutely hug the inside for the 2nd left hander, like run over the kerb, but you can't sacrifice corner speed just for a good exit, you somehow have to carry corner speed and exit to the right, it's a horrible bit of track.

Lots of people leave time in the left hander mid lap, after the esses, braking too late. Brake before the aqua kerb on the right, find the apex and exit hard and early. This is my most popular passing spot as folks always go in too hot.

Race A is a fun combo. Had some decent close racing yesterday against very different cars, all quicker at different points on the track. Sure, there's been a few people with suspension glitched cars (mostly Impreza's so far), but not nearly as many as I expected to be honest, though more seemed to come out for the later evening races. Not too many K20 swapped Mini's either, mostly driven erratically. Same for an LS1 swapped S13, which just scraped a win despite a clear power advantage. Otherwise a couple of runaway winners, but there's still fun to be had. I expect things to evolve as the week goes on but I'm enjoying it, and there's racing to be had for in the mid pack, and even podium fights.

Initially I was using my maxed out, wide-bodied Daihatsu Copen. At 142BHP and a little over 700kg, it lacks in outright acceleration and top speed to most cars; at the top end in 5th the powerband drops off above 9000rpm. Made up for it in the corners though. It could carry so much momentum into and out of The Loop, and was equally strong through turns 10 and 11.

Watkins Glen Short Course__1.jpeg

Since switched to my trusty S2000 which is ultimately more competitive, whilst driving just as sweetly. Dropped down to a 1:23.7, about 1.4s quicker than the little Copen, but feel there's still time to find in the setup.

Last edited:
For the first time, I took a look in multiplayer lobbies and did some more relaxed racing. I recommend this if you just fancy a break from Sport mode. Was nice to race some Gr.1 for a change! I won every race in a few different cats, which I put down to so much racing in Sport mode. Obviously not tracked, but still win the credits and earn the miles.

Had some fun racing with @Bullwinkle yesterday on my B account. Was cool to drive around with another GTP person. I was wondering what you were thinking on that first race... probably like, "WTF is this guy doing?!?" haha. I recognized your name during the pre-race chat but wasn't able to type fast enough. So when I came up on you at the end, I was just saying "hi" with all that swerving/flashers/slowing/etc.
I had a bunch of fun too. A couple of things: how did you recognize my user name, since it's different than my GTP account? I was amazed when you called me by name! I went ahead and changed my nickname as a result so that other people might find me. Also, I saw you flashing your lights and stuff and I figured that you were just pissed at the back marker getting in your way! I didn't recognize you until you chatted with me.
Bull, you should put in a quali time. Starting at the back can be brutal. I saw you get taken out a couple times, but we got revenge on a couple of them as well. :D I know there were likely more I didn't see. Honestly, I just wanted to race with you a little bit. Even if it was just the two of us driving around I figured it'd be fun to get away from the riff-raff.
I always start at the back the first day or two as I learn the track. I just don't want to deal with all the drama, especially with that first turn! I let everyone sort things out and then go along my merry way so I can learn the track better. I golded the CE but that in no way prepared me for the racing on that track! I never qualify very high anyway. I am not good enough yet to figure out how to cut entire seconds out of my lap times!
I was having fun and as the races went on I could tell you were improving! You obviously have the chops to compete given your win at the Glen last week (I might have been in that race as well, in the Viper, which was horrible; I pitted twice so I could steal the FL at the end which I did haha). Maybe I'll see you out there again; I have a feeling I'll bee spending more time on my B account than my A account this week as I am not a huge fan of this track. And, although I started getting along with the Porsche okay, definitley not my favorite car either.

GGs all around.
I think by "having fun" you mean "it was funny watching me spin all over the place and run off the track for no apparent reasons," right? It took me all week at Watkins Glen to get a decent quali time, which is how I finally won that race. I was also helped by P1 just not starting the race. I went around him and never once had any challenges. I'm a horrible front-runner and just kept telling myself "you can do this, don't break out," and eventually the muscle memory carried me through. I have a video of that race: I'll see if you were there for that one.

As for the track, I just can't find the driving line for it! I have no idea how you can keep that 911 in bounds. I love the idea of MR cars but I just can't get them to cooperate. Maybe I'll turn TC on for them in order to learn. . . . Is it worth it? They seem quicker. Please give me some hints here, since all MR cars try to assassinate me if I try them. You were driving circles around me, sometimes literally, and seemed to be able to slow down and speed up to pass me like you had nitrous, then maneuver around me, park on the side of the road until I caught up, and then did it all over again! I did, however, like following you and learning a few tricks here and there. I wish we had a system like this where we could buddy up with people and learn from them under BoP conditions.

But the track is a challenge, for sure. I may not qualify at all this week because I am satisfied just being a back marker for this track. I realize that if I qualify I'll learn it better, but then I get mixed into the middle of the field (there is NO WAY I'll rank higher than P10 with those Q times) and then have a miserable time anyway in that crazy jumble on lap 1.
That photo must be from the straightaway at the finish line because there's never any other time where I was actually in front of you! Pretty cool though. So, out of curiosity, how did you get this shot? I saved a race the other day but it was only a video without the option to change views, etc., like you normally get on a replay. I couldn't figure out any other way to save the race though.

Anyway, thanks for falling back to find me. Or in the case of the first race, lapping me and then waiting! It was a good time.

Well I'm done my bitchin' and complaining. I'm still not going to exploit the squat mod and I am no longer upset with those that do. I'm really not that fast anyway, so who cares I guess. Just going into races as will likely place between 3rd and 6th and enjoy the racing.

Made a few cars yesterday. Mustang GT seems to be my best ride thus far. R34 closely behind as well as a Pantera and XBow. I also will run my DB5 but that is about a second slower.

Here's to hoping for a patch to shore up some of the issues tomorrow!

Well I'm done my bitchin' and complaining. I'm still not going to exploit the squat mod and I am no longer upset with those that do. I'm really not that fast anyway, so who cares I guess. Just going into races as will likely place between 3rd and 6th and enjoy the racing.

Made a few cars yesterday. Mustang GT seems to be my best ride thus far. R34 closely behind as well as a Pantera and XBow. I also will run my DB5 but that is about a second slower.

Here's to hoping for a patch to shore up some of the issues tomorrow!
I showed up in a severely detuned Shelby Cobra yesterday and I was never in contention for a podium spot, but I'll tell you what: it got more comments than any of the other cars except for the DeLorean that some people are using. I'm just taking in weird cars and running them without any real expectation to contend. It's just fun so see the cars and shenanigans from the back of the pack.

Anyone having connections issues with the daily races recently on PS4? They seem to be really laggy on load up. Just raced now and 8 people quit as it took 5 mins for the race to start.
Just done a no stopper in the AMG. Started P4 and was running P2 by lap 6. Then got pipped on the line to finish P4. Tyres on last two laps were dead which allowed P3 & P4 to past me on the last lap. Boring race all in all. Going again to see if the BRZ can make my no stopper work

Back