GT7 Daily Race Discussion

• Thread starter Pigems
  • 37,016 comments
Really like race B this week, and with my QT on 2.00.5x I typically get Q5-Q9 in B/S lobbies. I'm usually not able to pass anyone, instead 1-2 others typically pass me, but in the end I often find myself in the same position as I started. DR dancing around mid B for the past few weeks, and seems to be stuck there after a steady initial climb from when I started.

I watch all the YT tutorials I can find, studies and tries to follow top driver ghosts, and watches all the my race replays carefully to identify mistakes and strategies to avoid getting in trouble with others. Plus reading this thread. Still cant seem to find that 1-1.5 seconds I need. Using TCR setting of 1, default ABS.

Resource: PSVR2, Logitech G Pro, and one hour available per evening. My ambition is to become high B, flirting with A. Done about 100 races for the past 2 months or so, 40% CRB, 40% top 5.

What would you recommend me to focus on?
Have you tried running the Circuit Experience? If I'm struggling somewhere, I'll usually go back to that and 're-learn' the track one section at a time. Or, if there's one corner/set of corners you're fighting, it's a great way to focus on JUST that section versus running the whole course over and over. Especially helpful when on limited time.

Then again, running the course over and over might be exactly what helps. You can take the time to learn how to drive all of the track versus just the 'optimum' line. What typically gets me is trying to be fast off the racing line and having no clue what to do beyond react, lol.

:cheers:

EDIT: Just occurred to me that the CE isn't run backwards. My bad. I guess the answer is laps. Just laps.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I'm back from a speedy recovery in the ER. I'm going back to racing this week/weekend!!
You're 'speedy recovery' is the stuff of dreams for PD right now. Been a rough couple weeks for them. 🤣

Welcome back and good luck! If the stars align juuuuust right, your race will load. Workin' on a star map to help y'all out, stay tuned.😁

So I’m waiting for race B to start and I’m on Pole position. Question is how long do I wait before I give up?

I can’t even exit out…

image.jpg

EDIT: after 12 minutes waiting I decided to give up and I pressed the PS button to exit the game. Immediately as I did that and the PS home pop up appeared the race sprung to life! Did I do that by pressing the PS button or was it pure random luck? So I exited the pop up screen and went back into the game.

Perhaps the game hangs until an "offending" console player presses a PS button to exit. Perhaps when they do that it releases something. IDK. 🤷‍♂️

Anyway, I did the race and there were four of us left. I led from pole and won with over a 5 second gap to second. P2 though had the audacity to steal fastest lap from me though on lap 3.

Last edited:
So I’m waiting for race B to start and I’m on Pole position. Question is how long do I wait before I give up?

I can’t even exit out…

View attachment 1292358

Don’t exit.
It May start. Let it kick you out with error or wait so you don’t lose SR for quitting.

I was just wondering how it’s going with races.
What is the start vs hang ratio tonight.

Been looking at doing offline stuff and tt tonight since this cluster flocks in play.

Don’t exit.
It May start. Let it kick you out with error or wait so you don’t lose SR for quitting.

I was just wondering how it’s going with races.
What is the start vs hang ratio tonight.

Been looking at doing offline stuff and tt tonight since this cluster flocks in play.
It did start (I edited my post).

I did two races.

Race 1 was a full 16 car grid and it ran with no issues. I got the trifecta: pole, fastest lap and win.

Race 2 started 12 minutes late as I describe above. I got pole and win on that one but only had four cars to start.

Not doing any more tonight.

Last edited:
Congratulations on the wins. What was your car choice for the races?

I hope it gets better soon because I’m not up for roulette spin to get into a race.
I’m really not very lucky with that roulette spinney thing 😉
Mazda 3. I've learnt how to drive it now and have my QT down to low 1:59.4. Still think I got a 1:59.1 ish in me with a bit more work. That's good for DR B, not sure it's good enough for DR A as I inch closer to that again.

You know that roulette spinney thingy is all rigged, right? :grumpy:

Last edited:
Yup there hanging here. First one I played , hanging. Is there a broader problem? Has Sony issued a statement perhaps?
I find it a little weird GTPlanet hasn't even done an article acknowledging this. They're not obligated to so of course, and maybe it's not on brand. But for something affecting so many of us, I would think it's worth acknowledging on a broader level. At least it would create its own thread for all of us discuss patterns / causes / improvements etc.

It's fine to be last, we all have been there. Load the replays whilst you do your own laps, see what others do different and try and adapt. Also, (apologies) I am not really familiar with you i.e. seen any previous posts. What is your experience in terms of hours played, SR/ DR, etc ?
I post from time to time but mostly just monitor the forums for advice and tips.

I tend to bounce from high C to low B due to inconsistencies. But when I get that sorted out, I truly think I belong mid-B. My DR is top notch and I’m pretty clean and that’s partly my problem. I think for me to take the next step, I need to dial up the aggressiveness.

Hours played are closing in on 700 hours. (Busy driving the boy to youth sports most evenings)
Much appreciate the advice and will try to benchmark myself vs some ghosts more often.

I can’t even exit out…

View attachment 1292358

EDIT: after 15 minutes waiting I decided to give up and I pressed the PS button to exit the game. Immediately as I did that and the PS home pop up appeared the race sprung to life! Did I do that by pressing the PS button or was it pure random luck? So I exited the pop up screen and went back into the game.

Perhaps the game hangs until an "offending" console player presses a PS button to exit. Perhaps when they do that it releases something. IDK. 🤷‍♂️

Anyway, I did the race and there were four of us left. I led from pole and won with over a 5 second gap to second. P2 though had the audacity to steal fastest lap from me though on lap 3.
I had a similar thing happen at LeMans last week..stacked grid,P5,waited 7 minutes,only four of us in the race.
P1!....first ever win.

Attachments

• 20230928_192726.jpg
    20230928_192726.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 11
Quick question. I've never seen this explained well before but with the radar view, what do the circles represent? Is it distance, if so how much?

Screenshot 2023-10-03 at 11.54.11 PM.png

The car behind me in this example was 0.318s behind, and in the image below, they were 0.402x behind but at higher speed.
Screenshot 2023-10-03 at 11.57.44 PM.png

Last edited:
Quick question. I've never seen this explained well before but with the radar view, what do the circles represent? Is it distance, if so how much?

View attachment 1292379

The car behind me in this example was 0.318s behind, and in the image below, they were 0.402x behind but at higher speed.
View attachment 1292380
Just looking to work this out and if we assume the arrow is the actual size of the car or a constant average car size (15ft ish)

Then the inner circle is larger than the outer 2 circles which are the same size apart

Inner is roughly 42ft radius
Outers are roughly 25ft radius

So the radar shows roughly an 92ft diameter around the car.

If the cars are slightly longer/shorter then it will change that. Also in meters it will be different.

These are just approximations on my part based on the fact it represents purely distance around the car rather than time.

Edit:

So probably 100ft in reality.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

View attachment 1292379

View attachment 1292380

I always assumed it was just a grid system to be used as a visual aid, similar to the putting assistance in golf games. As in, your eyes adjust better to variation when there's a clear reference point.

I find it a little weird GTPlanet hasn't even done an article acknowledging this. They're not obligated to so of course, and maybe it's not on brand. But for something affecting so many of us, I would think it's worth acknowledging on a broader level. At least it would create its own thread for all of us discuss patterns / causes / improvements etc.
Agree

You mean you don't do this on regular basis?

Truth be told, I'm not sure that is the quickest way around that corner. 🤷‍♂️

I was thinking that the top-split daily races should have a Sophy car starting at the back, in the 17th position. :D
Then I realized that what would be a really cool thing, would be ruined by idiots punting that car. :grumpy:

Really like race B this week, and with my QT on 2.00.5x I typically get Q5-Q9 in B/S lobbies. I'm usually not able to pass anyone, instead 1-2 others typically pass me, but in the end I often find myself in the same position as I started. DR dancing around mid B for the past few weeks, and seems to be stuck there after a steady initial climb from when I started.

I watch all the YT tutorials I can find, studies and tries to follow top driver ghosts, and watches all the my race replays carefully to identify mistakes and strategies to avoid getting in trouble with others. Plus reading this thread. Still cant seem to find that 1-1.5 seconds I need. Using TCR setting of 1, default ABS.

Resource: PSVR2, Logitech G Pro, and one hour available per evening. My ambition is to become high B, flirting with A. Done about 100 races for the past 2 months or so, 40% CRB, 40% top 5.

What would you recommend me to focus on?
Typically, newer racers struggle with braking.
I recommend using the braking zones markers. They're not always in just the right place, but are usually pretty close.
If anything, they will be a little early, but that's way better than being too late.
I have tons of sim racing experience, and I still leave them on.

Also, if you're not already doing so, use A/T until you get good with gas, brake, and steering. M/T is an unnecessary distraction, that usually slows you down if you don't have the other input controls mastered (IMO).

I tried to race last night (first attempt of the week) just to see a loading screen for almost 30 minutes.
This is totally broken and the worst part is PD not even pronouncing about it.

Its a shame.

View attachment 1292464
I’ve been playing this game for about 6 months, my first GT game, and I’ve always felt that a lot of the fan base is overly critical of the developers.
But to have the game, as I play it, completely broken for over a week without so much as mentioning or acknowledging it is an example of absolute piss-poor customer relations and Polyphony should, frankly, be ashamed of themselves.

Last edited:
Not sure what's up with Race A this week. I did two rounds but both times, I seemed to be only one of only two drivers with DR B, with the rest being DR D. And people were driving terribly - purposely ramming others off the road, punting, and even brake-checking. I wonder if it's because it's morning on a weekday?

EDIT: Or could it more likely be due to the connection issues I've been hearing about lately?

Last edited:
Day off work today...
First race: 30 min delay , 2 cars remain- I finish 2nd

Second race: 15 minute delay, 9 cars - I win

Third race: 1hr 5 min delay! Only me in it - 5 laps and damn game resets to home screen.

Fourth race: starts immediately 😳😳😳 full grid but spread from A+ to D/S. I get punted from 2nd to 11th but eventually finished 3rd due utter carnage.

Fifth race: 40 minute wait and I give up as I'm getting filthy looks from two Jack Russells.

Not sure what's up with Race A this week. I did two rounds but both times, I seemed to be only one of only two drivers with DR B, with the rest being DR D. And people were driving terribly - purposely ramming others off the road, punting, and even brake-checking. I wonder if it's because it's morning on a weekday?

EDIT: Or could it more likely be due to the connection issues I've been hearing about lately?
Since there is no DR loss at that race, maybe you could just cruise around at the back and stay away from the others, until you get enough clean races to be paired with nicer people. :)

My experience of Race A has been generally favourable this week. The track is difficult to overtake on, and whilst there are always some people who force the issue and ruin races, I would say that more races were OK. Like always there is a big mix of DR's in race A.

I recommend using the braking zones markers. They're not always in just the right place, but are usually pretty close.
If anything, they will be a little early, but that's way better than being too late.
On B this week, to my recollection the brakin zones have been pretty accurate. However, I'd recommend braking earlier for the first zone, until you're sure you have it down.

And I leave them on also. mostly to slap me in the face and remind me I need to pay attention. But also, even if I don't brake right when they say I should, I use them as my markers. I just remember that I need to brake a certain amount early (rare) or late (most often). The nice thing about using them as markers is they adjust depending on your speed, which can really help when you get caught up in racing engagements.

I was going to jump into more Race A's later in the week as its fun, then practice for the WS Nations event at weekend.

However, I might just leave this game alone until (if) the lobby issues are sorted.

Learning to drive that RedBull car around a track I cant stand (Lago Maggiore) only to be stuck in a lobby freeze on a Saturday isn't something I'm prepared to gamble on.

Last edited:
On B this week, to my recollection the brakin zones have been pretty accurate. However, I'd recommend braking earlier for the first zone, until you're sure you have it down.

And I leave them on also. mostly to slap me in the face and remind me I need to pay attention. But also, even if I don't brake right when they say I should, I use them as my markers. I just remember that I need to brake a certain amount early (rare) or late (most often). The nice thing about using them as markers is they adjust depending on your speed, which can really help when you get caught up in racing engagements.
I don't use the braking markers anymore unless it's a track I'm not used to and then only as I learn it. I actually find the braking markers can get in the way of track detail that can actually aid better, such as rubbered in zones on track where most cars brake etc.

The @Tidgney guide for race B is pretty good this week. I would say his braking marks are pretty spot on for the Mazda 3 except for the one at the bottom of the long hill. That doesn't work for me and I go deeper and trail brake into just before the large inside rock and then 90% throttle it out in 3rd.

Last edited:
I’ve fought off the urge in recent weeks to post something in this chat to gauge whether or not some of you folks are using braking zones or not but decided against it for fear of coming off as a joke. LOL.

But reading that some of you, whom I hold in pretty high regard, do keep them on makes me feel a tad better about myself. And just like @GrumpyOldMan stated, they serve as a reminder in the event my mind wanders off. I tend to also think the breaking zones are a little too conservative in most cases.

I started turning them off in single player races but I still get caught off-guard sometimes and require being airlifted to local hospitals.

Back