GT7 Daily Race Discussion

• Thread starter Pigems
  • 36,316 comments
Stupid wall penalties on race B. I’ve set a half decent quali time of 1.51.5 which is putting me second or third row in B/S. Every race ruined by penalties. Sometimes you only need to brush them. It’s far, far too strict. I actually rage quit on the last lap because I was third and managed get one. Going to try C for the remainder of the week.

Last week I elevated from high B to high A. My skills really is at the medium to high B, but for some reason last week suited me perfectly. This week in race B I have QT 1:50.3xx and I can keep close to that in races, but now I sit with 15 other A+ and A (last race was 8 A+), and now I start P14 to P16, and finish mostly 10-16. Useless. I can't wait till I get demoted to B.

Different topic:

There is something up with the TM race.

For some reason the cars lose grip, no damage or extra wear on the tires. Having done enough laps around here even when I brake earlier the turn in is just understeer.

There is something not right with either wheel things or game things here.
Long time GT player here and also a long time lurker on this thread. I came here today hoping to see a post like this after running just a few laps. Do you think it has to do with this weeks races having tuning available? I felt like I experienced the same thing a few weeks back at the Gr3 Suzuka race. Pure understeer and it seemed to happen in every car I tried.

• on to the instructions,
  • save your best lap replay from the menu
  • go to showcase it will be the latest save file and you can use the share icon from their.
  • friends who follow you can see it but if you add tags then people searching can see it and load it.

To be clear though, it will not show up on the leaderboard as a reply unless it was a top 10 at some point. So get the friends set lap replay you have to search for it in the showcase and then add it to your collection. Then in ghosts, you select the ghost time from the collection.

Thanks guys, did just that so please see if you are able to load the ghost.

IMG-8758.jpg

The R8 is a real pleasure to drive now. I've always liked MR cars so having more of them pushed into competition has been really nice.

Agreed. And judging by the QT leaderboard (basically most of us here) MR cars are doing well. Great lap you have there!

IMG-8757.jpg

I've said it before, and today validated it for me - investing in practice and QT before races is the single biggest contributing factor to building DR.

Especially in such a short race. Better QT = avoiding the mid-field madness = higher probability of a better finish

Different topic:

For some reason the cars lose grip, no damage or extra wear on the tires. Having done enough laps around here even when I brake earlier the turn in is just understeer.

Does it get progressively worse or just constantly bad for the entire race?

Long time GT player here and also a long time lurker on this thread. I came here today hoping to see a post like this after running just a few laps. Do you think it has to do with this weeks races having tuning available? I felt like I experienced the same thing a few weeks back at the Gr3 Suzuka race. Pure understeer and it seemed to happen in every car I tried.
I struggled through the first sector but was able to dial that out and had attributed it to poor settings on my part. Overall, though, I did not notice a huge difference from the last time we ran here (911 is pretty much the only Gr.3 I drive anymore). Maybe I forgot, maybe I'm just not at that level to notice.

I know the 911 was not touched during the last BoP overhaul, could it be the update that is causing it?

Does it get progressively worse or just constantly bad for the entire race?
No it is pretty polar.

As you know I can run a pace close to yours almost every week. Sure 1/10 or two but close enough.

This is a different thing, you don't have turn in, I'm ok with just riding it deeper but it's pretty stark, running a race pace in 1:50's and then you can't turn in. It's a bug somewhere but a bug. Especially and I consider the lag in my racing it's a bit odd. It's like having dirty tyres for a whole lap.

Different topic:

Every car I tried felt like it was driving on ice. The BRZ was the best of the bunch and that is why I stuck with it, but I have little confidence in TM this week so I'm not going to try any racing. I'll do some TT when I have the time (not much this week anyway) just to see how far up the leaderboard I can get. Probably not much further than I obtained last night.

The 911 I'm using is WAY different during a race than during Q. I understand the issues about cold tires and heavier weight due to a full gas tank, but this week it just seems much more pronounced.

After the tires should have warmed up, I still find it squirrelier than what I would think would be normal.

So, I can't tell you if your wheel is causing issues, but I can tell you that I've experienced issues also.

I work in a pawn shop. I can tell you that we get PS5 consoles once a month, or so.
If you have one near you, it may be worth taking a look to see if you can find a used one to save a few bucks. 👍

I spend Monday nights just doing QT, I have some highly fast/competitive friends and use them as a yard stick.

I just do QT laps both for pace and familiarity, it even rolls to Tuesday sometimes when I don't feel my time is good enough or my driving consistent enough.

Then I race. Usually starting better for B/A lobbies and can keep multi lap pace which is the key.
Do you find you can do a faster QT time after you’ve raced the track a lot? Or do you just stick with what you got early in the week?

Do you find you can do a faster QT time after you’ve raced the track a lot? Or do you just stick with what you got early in the week?
Yes is the short answer.

Typically I grind a time on Monday but will continually improve through the week but the improvements are smaller increments as I go on.

Depending on the combo and how competitive I want to be with some friends dictates my QT vs Race motivation.

There does come a wall where I just can't get through a wall so will just race because of the diminishing returns in QT.

@GrumpyOldMan it is exactly that, car feels fine for QT, my variable driving accepted but in the race it's like any contact or penalties stay on the car you can't see it but you can feel it. I saw another streamer mention the same feeling as well.

As I said it feels like the car thinks it has permanently dirty tires. Just a very weird feeling half way through a race.

My tin foil hat conspiracy theory thinking says it's something artificial to better balance the lobbies I'm in giving the others a chance and making it more "challenging" for me.

Rational me thinks it is either in my head or something in the FFB of my wheel since the update especially as I'm on Fanatec hardware and the recent introduction of the Extreme there must have been some tweaks for that behind the scenes

But overall 🤷‍♂️

I suck at Trial Mountain. Im good in the reverse direction but this normal way, I’m struggling to find pace.

@GrumpyOldMan your time is safe for now, but I’m nipping at your ankles.

I’m currently having the best luck with the BRZ. I may just stick with this car.
Have heart: the BRZ is on rails! If I were to spend a little more time with it, with a bit of tweaking, I think I could beat my 911 time. Work on it more and I’m sure you’ll kill my time by the weekend.
My tin foil hat conspiracy theory thinking says it's something artificial to better balance the lobbies I'm in giving the others a chance and making it more "challenging" for me.

Rational me thinks it is either in my head or something in the FFB of my wheel since the update especially as I'm on Fanatec hardware and the recent introduction of the Extreme there must have been some tweaks for that behind the scenes
My own tin foil hat hypothesis is that PD is trying out new tire models on us in order to collect more data. I’m sure it couldn’t work that way without a special update, but maybe they secretly introduced two different models for TT and race day.

However, I think it may be in our heads because I’m still getting slippery on my quali laps on cold tires. I haven’t checked if the tire temps change in quali laps, but they act like it. I think the dramatic elevation changes on Trial Mountain are making things a little messier, especially if we are tuning the cars.
Fully break checked on the main straight on very trying trial mountain today.

Why. I don't understand. Why do people do these things.
I’m starting to wonder if people who do this are paranoid from past experience that they’re about to get pushed out Dr the track and so they stop short to avoid it. That’s my gracious interpretation. I’m sure I’ll feel differently after a few more races!

Yes is the short answer.

Typically I grind a time on Monday but will continually improve through the week but the improvements are smaller increments as I go on.

Depending on the combo and how competitive I want to be with some friends dictates my QT vs Race motivation.

There does come a wall where I just can't get through a wall so will just race because of the diminishing returns in QT.

@GrumpyOldMan it is exactly that, car feels fine for QT, my variable driving accepted but in the race it's like any contact or penalties stay on the car you can't see it but you can feel it. I saw another streamer mention the same feeling as well.

As I said it feels like the car thinks it has permanently dirty tires. Just a very weird feeling half way through a race.

But overall 🤷‍♂️
About the dirty tires thing. I've been wracking my brains wondering about what you have written to try and recall if I have suffered the same, and I am not sure I have. I have put in a lot of Qually this week, so I am sure I would have experienced it. I am on controller if that matters.

Couple of things off the top of my head though. Could it be the sections on TM where you do sort of run off the track-ish, like T2 inside apex (right hander), and that dirty bit of the track on the inside of the left hander right before the back straight (Turn 8 I think?). Maybe they put dirt on the tyres?

One other thing I did think of is the camber and elevation changes of some of the corners on TM (partcilarly sector 1) are weird and not always easy to see on a flat screen; at least for me. Im thinking two corners in particular - the left hander in the first tunnel, and the right hander following it (with the invisible forest wall on the inside) - the car just seems to slide across the track and do anything but rotate.

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head as far as an explanation goes!

Last edited:
Ran some more qualifying last night and spent some time playing with settings...well, for me a LOT of time.

@AdxRE thanks again for posting your settings, and to EVERYONE who posts their tunes. I know there's a bunch of us who benefit from the shared knowledge so a big ol' kudos to the group.

I started there and ended up somewhere very different. Biggest change came from acknowledging that settings aren't going to keep the front-end down over T2, but throttle control sure can. Ended-up back at 23/33 on the front shocks and 3.25 for the nat freq BUT with the front bar set at 8. Rear is at 6. The sway bar changes probably had the biggest impact. Feeling confident, I decided to throw myself into the hammered masses that populate the midnight club (EST) lobbies.

Results were stellar, races were fun, my addiction to this track was cemented. Only ran three but started P3/P1/P2, ended P1/P1/P2. Freakin' awesome. Could've hat-tricked it but blew it on lap 2 in the last race. After pulling off an amazing, clean and completely unrepeatable (🤣) undercut pass onto the straight to take P1, I decided to throw the car at the first tunnel like I was in a corn-hole competition. Car went sideways at entry and it was a giant smoky drift for the first half. Needless to say, lost that P1.

Hope to see y'all out there and have fun. Until then, I'll be "Eastbound and down, loaded up and truckin'..." 😁

:cheers:

EDIT
@Crimefighter I've experienced the same as you...no differences. Also on a controller so curious if that has anything to do with it. 👍

Last edited:
Anyone have a tune for the Renault at Brands? I’m running default setup with BB to the rear to help get the car turned in especially at Surtees.

Seems we can also adjust camber and toe this week.

Apologies if there’s already been a tune posted.

Anyone have a tune for the Renault at Brands? I’m running default setup with BB to the rear to help get the car turned in especially at Surtees.

Seems we can also adjust camber and toe this week.

Apologies if there’s already been a tune posted.

There's a race and a quali setup.

Last edited:
Ok, I've made some progress on finding out what this oddity that I'm feel is.

There are 2 things happening:

FFB is lowered when it happens

I need much more wheel lock and even then it's almost not enough to make the entrance of the chicane!

I up the FFB to 10 in game and it's all fine knock it back down to 6 or 7 and then the issue can appear.

So that's the symptoms but no idea of the cause. 🤷‍♂️

I need much more wheel lock and even then it's almost not enough to make the entrance of the chicane!

I up the FFB to 10 in game and it's all fine knock it back down to 6 or 7 and then the issue can appear.

That is so odd. For example, if the issue was the wheel overheating, you would expect the opposite symptoms.

Next time it happens hit pause, then resume and see if anythings different. My wheel got weird last week. Almost felt like controller mode was invoked somehow. It happened when emerging from the cut scenes during pit stops. Fortunately, pause/resume fixed it, but it was reoccurring.

I am going to try one more race.

Tonight I have thrown away 4 poles and 3 quits. Grrrrrr my inner calm is not overcoming my inner rage at the moment.

Find my happy place Glen, find that happy place.

Arrrggghhhh ggrrrrrrgrrrrr arrrghhhhhh

And breathe. It's just a game, just a competitive game filled with different people and different decision making frameworks....just a game.

Arrrgggghhhh!

Anyone else had weirdness with cars glitching all over the place today? For reference I’m in EMEA lobbies. Did 2 race C this evening, first one I was running 4th with cars jumping all over the track, next thing I know I’ve got a 4 second penalty for apparently hitting another car! Race 2, I’m running second,leader is about 4 seconds ahead, we both pit on lap 7 when I come back out suddenly they’re 10 seconds ahead. The gap then jumped to 17 seconds, then to five and the at the finish the stats said I was only 0.7 seconds from the win! All very strange. :confused:

Finally I start to understand TM, and find a bit time here and there. It's been really difficult to get a good tuning, but I started over and used the AdxRE8 (thank you so much!!) as a new starting point, and that made a lot of difference. That, and watch endless of replays to try to figure out where others are outpacing me - it's still the last chicane, but getting better.

My high A (I was at 75%) is now down to 50%, so still alot better than I feared.

Again, thanks AdxRE8 (would you accept a friends request?)!!

Does the McLaren get bad starts for everyone else? 4 races in a row started from pole I was either passed or side by side by turn 1. Or am I doing something wrong?

Anyone else had weirdness with cars glitching all over the place today? For reference I’m in EMEA lobbies. Did 2 race C this evening, first one I was running 4th with cars jumping all over the track, next thing I know I’ve got a 4 second penalty for apparently hitting another car! Race 2, I’m running second,leader is about 4 seconds ahead, we both pit on lap 7 when I come back out suddenly they’re 10 seconds ahead. The gap then jumped to 17 seconds, then to five and the at the finish the stats said I was only 0.7 seconds from the win! All very strange. :confused:
Yes, I had that in a couple of race Cs this afternoon - cars accelerating away in front of me, or coming up really fast behind me. Got two first lap penalties at Druids by being rammed from behind, by glitching cars, into cars in front of me!

Also had one race where the track seemed to suddenly ice over at Graham Hill Bend, causing four cars in front of me, plus me, to slide uncontrollably off track...

Back