GT7 Daily Race Discussion

• Thread starter Pigems
  • 36,196 comments
It is a really weird car to drive, it feels like you're waiting so long to get on the power out of the hairpins that you must be losing time but somehow you're not. I think it's the tyres, I'm really happy PD put it on CS this week instead of racing slicks, it feels a lot more like how a 60s GP car should.
It no longer has infinite grip on its stock tires either. Even on RH tires it's very slidy now if the Honda Challenge TT is anything to go by.

Haven't tried C yet but tried B and that's going to be a laugh I think. Got knocked off into 14th earlier and made it to 4th because everyone else was crashing. Made up for the Scooby race.

Aww come on brother, A and C are completely unique and fun. Might not be your cup of tea specifically but they've definitely put the fun factor out with them.
So...I do get that.

But Mario Kart is "Fun" so is micro machines.

However as a racer who wants to live out my racing dream vicariously 2 made up tracks a genre of racing which isn't my thing and then a classic race with awful wheel feel...

Recipe is fun, the execution is a bit meh and that's being kind.

My idea of fun is stepped class racing not these things. And be honest even the Gr3 is a bop test

So...I do get that.

However as a racer who wants to live out my racing dream vicariously 2 made up tracks a genre of racing which isn't my thing and then a classic race with awful wheel feel...

My idea of fun is stepped class racing not these things. And be honest even the Gr3 is a bop test
Stepped class? As in Multiclass?
To be honest I'm genuinely surprised you haven't tried iRacing yet, if you want proper close knit real racing then it really cannot be beat - I don't think anywhere does multiclass racing better.

On a similar page though, I don't know anyone who grew up wanting to live out a racing dream that doesn't involve hooning Colin McRae's subie around the dirt!

Stepped class? As in Multiclass?
To be honest I'm genuinely surprised you haven't tried iRacing yet, if you want proper close knit real racing then it really cannot be beat - I don't think anywhere does multiclass racing better.

On a similar page though, I don't know anyone who grew up wanting to live out a racing dream that doesn't involve hooning Colin McRae's subie around the dirt!
No, dailies that cater to junior, mid and premium class.

A: single make hatches/ginetta type stuff

B: Gr4 slightly longer than they are now

C: GR3 or specials (SF/GR1/2)

That's what I mean when I say stepped races that have progression built in to them. One helps you move up to the other. Random weekly races are just like the weekly special events.

I spent many many many years on sega rally, the Colin game and the Richard game.

Rallying is not my thing, I went to karts and then cars and really fast motorbikes.

So while I'll watch Solberg slam it round a Finnish mountain I'd much rather watch touring cars or support races.

I do appreciate your point though.

No, dailies that cater to junior, mid and premium class.

A: single make hatches/ginetta type stuff

B: Gr4 slightly longer than they are now

C: GR3 or specials (SF/GR1/2)

That's what I mean when I say stepped races that have progression built in to them. One helps you move up to the other. Random weekly races are just like the weekly special events.

I spent many many many years on sega rally, the Colin game and the Richard game.

Rallying is not my thing, I went to karts and then cars and really fast motorbikes.

So while I'll watch Solberg slam it round a Finnish mountain I'd much rather watch touring cars or support races.

I do appreciate your point though.
Ah fair enough I see what you mean. Dailies are certainly structured weirdly, but to be fair they always kind of have been. I don't mind not having any long form races but I have always long felt that B is too short to be a proper race and that they in general should all fill their time slots.

More or less the whole reason I moved to iRacing (and why I haven't been around in the dailies as much) - the constant cycle of variety and longer races (even if it's just 15 mins instead of 7) just gives such a better experience.

So...I do get that.

Amy reason why the 911 suddenly has massive understeer? I was surprised earlier today when I tried it, just complete junk ,just ploughed corners with no way of getting it back.

Had a blast at Bathurst last week. Raced more than I have in ages. A few victories and mostly top 8 finishes for some DR gains. My favourite track. I found the BMW GR.3 the best car to use, very stable. Usually the Mustang is my go to, but since the update I cannot control it. The update is weird... for example....

Dont think this weeks for me. I tried one lap at Eiger and I cannot feel anything on my G29.

A GR.3 Suzuka Sprint race is never a good race, its just carnage in B lobbys or below.

I might give Race A a go but the FFB at dirt tracks on GT7 usually wakes the neighbours.

Amy reason why the 911 suddenly has massive understeer? I was surprised earlier today when I tried it, just complete junk ,just ploughed corners with no way of getting it back.
Weirdly all 3 of the porches had understeer (911, cayman and boxster)

But....when you drive them on the throttle they are much much more balanced.

With the 911 you have to be able to shift the weight back, it feels like a slide but it's not it's about pointing the back in the direction you want to exit in.

MR cars are balance cars, they offer massive agility but it means really working the steering inputs.

I'm gonna take this opportunity to post the Walter Rhol video again:

There is a remastered version but this shows understeer, oversteer and driving in jeans and loafers 🤣

Since Suzuka is one of my favorite tracks I'll try my luck there. I started in the Porsche but I felt slow and way off pace. I switched back to the Huracan even though I said I wouldn't and have had some success with quicker lap times. I'm at a 2:01.9XX so far and I would like to get to as close to 2:00 as possible. I might do some laps on the new track but not race as I don't want to be a menace out there.

Unrelated to anything racing, I was in Cleveland for WWE SummerSlam on Saturday and then a baseball game yesterday had some fun last weekend. Way too hot and humid for my liking, but it was nice to go on a little weekend trip.

PD seems to have turned one of the most universal cars (911) into one of the most polarizing ones. I ran a couple laps at Bathurst just to try out the RM's last week and was happy with it. Was also having fun at TM on RH's.

Maybe one of those things where certain driving styles just don't gel with the car anymore? Not sure on that but you are not alone. I've seen a bunch of people COMPLETELY disenchanted with the car post update while others are completely lovin' it (50% of every grid I was in this weekend). I'm just hoping it wasn't a track thing...car felt pretty good at Bathurst. :cheers:

Good lord. It felt like the car was constantly trying to yeet itself off the track.
I think people get lazy in their inputs and feeling cars move.

I've seen 2 differing ability YTs today say that the cars are hard to catch.

They are just either slow in reacting or slow in reading it.

Going fast is busy work, it gets less busy and more second nature the more you so, but the new physics good or bad mean you really really need to be on it and work the wheel/stick.

One thing I will say as a tip is to catch the slides one handed on a wheel, there are very few slides you can do two handed and lift off to let the car settle. We aren't trying to drift the cars but get them back on like and neutrally balanced.

PD seems to have turned one of the most universal cars (911) into one of the most polarizing ones. I ran a couple laps at Bathurst just to try out the RM's last week and was happy with it. Was also having fun at TM on RH's.

Maybe one of those things where certain driving styles just don't gel with the car anymore? Not sure on that but you are not alone. I've seen a bunch of people COMPLETELY disenchanted with the car post update while others are completely lovin' it (50% of every grid I was in this weekend). I'm just hoping it wasn't a track thing...car felt pretty good at Bathurst. :cheers:
I
I think people get lazy in their inputs and feeling cars move.

I've seen 2 differing ability YTs today say that the cars are hard to catch.

They are just either slow in reacting or slow in reading it.

Going fast is busy work, it gets less busy and more second nature the more you so, but the new physics good or bad mean you really really need to be on it and work the wheel/stick.

One thing I will say as a tip is to catch the slides one handed on a wheel, there are very few slides you can do two handed and lift off to let the car settle. We aren't trying to drift the cars but get them back on like and neutrally balance

Weirdly all 3 of the porches had understeer (911, cayman and boxster)

But....when you drive them on the throttle they are much much more balanced.

With the 911 you have to be able to shift the weight back, it feels like a slide but it's not it's about pointing the back in the direction you want to exit in.

MR cars are balance cars, they offer massive agility but it means really working the steering inputs.

I'm gonna take this opportunity to post the Walter Rhol video again:

There is a remastered version but this shows understeer, oversteer and driving in jeans and loafers 🤣

That man is a legend, we are not. My point still stands, wtf have they done to the physics that have suddenly made a good all round car rubbish. At the same time the Japanese cars are suddenly great 🤔🤔

The Porsche has a really really bad setup now, if you adjust the parameters in your own time trials etc. back to the old BoP setup it still drives reasonably well. Once again something I have no idea why they did.
The car is fine, just the BB forward and don't trail brake as much.

The diff and rear suspension are better, keeping the weight on the front is trickier and as I said earlier people are lazy on working the wheel/stick than before.

The Porsche is the second meta at the moment generally and although I could hit low optimums in the Lambo the Porsche was the easier car to drive consistently.

The changes seem badly (sic) balanced across the range but they are all feeling equal except the outliers as normal. But fair play in the '11 merc that's pretty solid work!

The Porsche has a really really bad setup now, if you adjust the parameters in your own time trials etc. back to the old BoP setup it still drives reasonably well. Once again something I have no idea why they did.

The ppp

The diff and rear suspension are better, keeping the weight on the front is trickier and as I said earlier people are lazy on working the wheel/stick than before.

The Porsche is the second meta at the moment generally and although I could hit low optimums in the Lambo the Porsche was the easier car to drive consistently.

The changes seem badly (sic) balanced across the range but they are all feeling equal except the outliers as normal. But fair play in the '11 merc that's pretty solid work!
???? The Porsche wants to back itself into every high speed corner as soon as you think about brakes. I'm not sure what you are doing but I'm pretty sure it's not the same car as it was. Granted I did take advice about BB for the mountain but it's just complete rubbish at Suzuka.

It no longer has infinite grip on its stock tires either. Even on RH tires it's very slidy now if the Honda Challenge TT is anything to go by.
I haven't tried that one yet, that sounds like a promising change.
I haven't got to the new races yet but the RA272 in the Honda Challenge TT is a joy to drive. Tricky and hard, but a joy none-the-less.

Last edited:

Yeah it's still a drivable car for sure but the bad part about the setup is just that you wouldn't have to drive around its weight etc. like that if the suspension setup was still good.
Thinking about it I'm sure it must be a balance change because if the car is competitive now with a bad setup then it would dominate with a good one, but that's a whole new can of worms to open if they decide to do open setups again!

And thank you, I spent most of my playtime today going through some lesser used cars to see what was made competitive or uncompetitive. Unsurprisingly most cars seem to kind of suck now lol, the GT500s were always decent to use at Suzuka but they're nowhere now which is a shame as I love those cars.

I ended up now on the Alfa 4c which seems really really good, it's probably what I'll stick with if I do any more races. Managed to get a win in the SLS earlier which I was quite pleased with. It's not the fastest car but it's absolutely glued to the floor.

Last edited:
I was really happy with this lap, 1:12.966 for race C, hopefully it's useful for anybody else trying on pad:

Your line is very similar to mine however your gear selection is not, I’m a gear lower than you on many corners. I’m also ~3 seconds slower at 1:15.95.

I guess I have my after dinner project.

It’s been a very fun combination to run, so far. The turn at the top of the hill and the first hair-pin are pretty funny, they are collecting hand-fulls of cars at the start of the race.

Thanks for posting the video.

Yeah it's still a drivable car for sure but the bad part about the setup is just that you wouldn't have to drive around its weight etc. like that if the suspension setup was still good.
Thinking about it I'm sure it must be a balance change because if the car is competitive now with a bad setup then it would dominate with a good one, but that's a whole new can of worms to open if they decide to do open setups again!

And thank you, I spent most of my playtime today going through some lesser used cars to see what was made competitive or uncompetitive. Unsurprisingly most cars seem to kind of suck now lol, the GT500s were always decent to use at Suzuka but they're nowhere now which is a shame as I love those cars.

I ended up now on the Alfa 4c which seems really really good, it's probably what I'll stick with if I do any more races. Managed to get a win in the SLS earlier which I was quite pleased with. It's not the fastest car but it's absolutely glued to the floor.
Try the Ferrari. IMO, it's very pleasant to drive now; a diamond in the rough.

Your line is very similar to mine however your gear selection is not, I’m a gear lower than you on many corners. I’m also ~3 seconds slower at 1:15.95.

I guess I have my after dinner project.

It’s been a very fun combination to run, so far. The turn at the top of the hill and the first hair-pin are pretty funny, they are collecting hand-fulls of cars at the start of the race.

Thanks for posting the video.
I was trying the lower gears at some of the corners, like 1st at the hairpins but think it's better to stay a gear higher just to keep the lap smooth. I've been surprised how clean the races have been so far, I thought every race would be massive crashes into the hairpins on lap 1.

I was trying the lower gears at some of the corners, like 1st at the hairpins but think it's better to stay a gear higher just to keep the lap smooth. I've been surprised how clean the races have been so far, I thought every race would be massive crashes into the hairpins on lap 1.
Using the higher gear also gave me another level of traction control, I really had to be smooth in the low gear corners which was limiting my exit speed.
There have been lots of wrecks in my races on lap 1, mainly people who are too hyped for the first 2 corners (not malicious). It’s only Monday, I’m guessing most will have that figured out by tomorrow or Wednesday.

Tried race B at Suzuka this morning. First time I’ve raced since Spa as I’ve been trying out Simgrid Seasons on ACC.

I didn’t like the new physics at Spa, and they seemed even worse at Suzuka. The RSR felt like it had no lateral grip, and was just waiting to swap ends!

The GT3s in ACC feel so much more stable, also more neutral, and are easier for me to push hard.

Has anyone else tried Seasons? It’s been fun doing live races on a different Sim and I’ve had some good racing, but the grids have been small and the racing not much cleaner than GT7 (with the downside of no ghosting!).

I was really happy with this lap, 1:12.966 for race C, hopefully it's useful for anybody else trying on pad:

Thank you for this @GOTMAXPOWER

Watching this and racing tigney's ghost got me down to a 1:13:6x, shaving a whole second off and getting me into the top 200. You really should publish your ghost so we can race against virtual max as we'd probably never have a chance otherwise.

Missed a lot of posts yesterday, but I had to go to bed in order to pick up some groceries at our local Walmart. Hopefully today I can get back to having fun at Eiger. What car should I use to get a lap under 2 minutes at Suzuka? I hate Sector 1 where the esses are because I always lose my rhythm and lose time. The sharp right turn before the Bridgestone landmark is a time-killer. I wish I could drive through it fast without risking driving in the sand trap.

Sectors 3 and 4 are tricky too. You have to watch out for the last chicane before the finish line because one wrong move and you're in the grass and sand pit. I gotta make an effort to get at least a sub 2'00.000 or 2'01.000. My DR dropped after Races 27-29 at Trial Mountain, I hate that happened. So, I am now at a low-C. There were a couple crazy drivers who bumped into the back of me at the first tunnel, which caused me to spin out and I finished 9-10th place.

I was furious about this!

I know @GrumpyOldMan isn't looking forward to Suzuka. I'm trying to tame it and beat the track at it's own game.

Last edited:
Tried the Scooby, initially got a 1:28, which I've whittled down to a 1:21, but how are people getting 1:12s? Also I have to use auto transmission, why is the car refusing to change up? I lose so much speed.
Are you referring to Daily Race C? If so, I'm also auto on a controller and I'm hitting 1:15s. I'm not even that fast so low1:14s are definitely achievable with a pad on auto.

Back