GT7 & PSVR2

• Thread starter gtrotary
  • 5,854 comments
I had a psvr with my PS4 and loved it. But, I understood this was VR version 1.0. I expected it to be imperfect, it was, but it was better than no VR at all by a wide margin. There was time that had to be spent, hooking it up and taking it down. Not something I did every day, but when I wanted to, it was always worth the effort, especially on the Nordschliefe or Le Mans at night. I always expected Sony to fix the problems and maybe anticipate some they wouldn't have thought of. I'm expecting a quality experience.

PSVR2 by Sonly seems to be THE PS5 peripheral to own (I've got one coming), but I gotta say, Kaz showing up and giving us his take on how significant VR is to GT is just not sitting right with me...not after so many have asked repeatedly to address the fans.

If you want to be involved in your game with your fans, then be involved. If you just show up when there is something that benefits you, then go away...and stay away. Not a good look, beware of your optics.

Last edited:
This is why I'm hesitant on getting it. I've had a few bouts with vertigo as of late and im fearful this could essily trigger an episode.

Last thing I want to have happen is experiencing the room spinning after finishing a 2 hour endurance race..
Take it easy at first, you might be able to do 2h endurances races with some practice, but probably not from the the start. It takes some time to finally be able to play VR many hours in a row like you could do on TV. Stop whenever you start feeling uncomfortable (or ideally before) and try again the next day, that's VERY important and the rule n°1 to get your VR legs!

I'm subject to vertigo from heights in real life, but no more when it comes to VR, and I think that it can cure that kind of conditions irl to some extent.

PSVR2 by Sonly seems to be THE PS5 peripheral to own (I've got one coming), but I gotta say, Kaz showing up and giving us his take on how significant VR is to GT is just not sitting right with me...not after so many have asked repeatedly to address the fans.

If you want to be involved in your game with your fans, then be involved. If you just show up when there is something that benefits you, then go away...and stay away. Not a good look, beware of your optics.
I think that this idea of Kaz not listening to the fans is totally absurd. Polyphony addressed many issues the players had with the game from release and still continue to work on it like with the 2 players split screen issues or the AI with Sophy. Obviously some of those issues need more than just reading user's comments to get fixed, and some might take a lot of time.

Kaz, like most Japanese people, never has been a man of many words, but he gets the work done. It's kind of funny idea to expect him to read the hundreds millions of messages users wrote about the game so far, saying everything and its contrary, and even more to take account of it all. That may be possible when you have a 10.000 players fanbase, but definitively not when you have millions of them. He probably doesn't have that much free time and anyway he doesn't even speak English (which is a not a bad thing considering all those retarded kids speaking ill of him on reddit...).

But when there is a tendency coming out from all those messages, it surely gets to his ears and he will do his best to have it fixed, in the limit of possible. That's exactly why the known issues log and patch notes are here. Except for January, PD addressed issues every single month since the game released via updates and patches. I'm looking forward to the upcoming contents, especially now that they addressed most of the issues. I might be disappointed, and they will just bring 1 or 2 new events and ridiculously low payouts with each update, but they may also bring back the leagues of GT sport or just new endurance races, championships, and classic cups of the series, and it would be huge, especially now that the game changing VR kicks in!

Last edited:
This way I don't turn every car into a "silhouette racer" by modifying it until it's nothing like its namesake, and I limit my tendency to spend hours screwing with dampers. Instead, I get lightly-tuned cars that might be what I would have done had I owned that car.... some dampers on a particularly-boaty car, some light weight reduction for a heavy car, etc.
Exactly! Back in the day I liked taking an affordable underdog, shoving 40 psi through it's combustion chambers and throwing a Pep Boys wing on it to finish first place in the race. Now I want to keep cars in games as close as stock as possible and if I do put mods on them, they're mods I'd actually contemplate in real life.
I was the same way once upon a time, I wasn't satisfied unless every car was tuned to the max or RM'd. Nowadays I'm also more like this, using more realistic tunes, usually to follow some real life version of that car, like making a Spoon Civic or TRD 3000GT, etc.

The question I got is, will this update include more new content to play with the PSVR2? Or will all of the lucky buyers will have to replay the same events all over again just to make sure thier investment is worth it? I mean, I think that some of us are already tired of the grindy fashion of GT7 up until now.
At least what I would like is to have is the option to "untick" all race progress that I made in pancake mode, so that in VR I can track my VR progress!

At least what I would like is to have is the option to "untick" all race progress that I made in pancake mode, so that in VR I can track my VR progress!
I doubt the game will have 2 different "progress files" to seperate flat vs vr. There is no gameplay reason behind it and as players seem to be pooled together (as far as I understand it) it is more likely to bet on no changes.

I doubt the game will have 2 different "progress files" to seperate flat vs vr. There is no gameplay reason behind it and as players seem to be pooled together (as far as I understand it) it is more likely to bet on no changes.
You are probably right. In that case I might just restart the game under a new user name.

Nice to see Kaz interacting with the community, even though it's just to promote a Sony product. Now if he could just stick around a bit and stay in communication?

Don't just appear when you are selling something...it makes you look bad, you know, someone who has bad sportsmanship.
”makes you look bad”

I can’t say I agree. I mean don’t get me wrong, Kaz can be vague and unrealistically optimistic at times… but if he is only public when there is something new with the game.. I don’t see an issue with that. He could be a private person or he just not someone who likes doing interviews. Which is cool.

I‘m intrigued by the PSVR2 capability but it won’t be for me just yet. I own an Xbox Series X in the other camp but in this camp only a PS4 Pro. I find the PS5 ugly and bulky so I’m just sitting it out and waiting for a PS5 Pro or Slim to be released… eventually. By that time I’ll make the jump to PS5.

I do own a PSVR(1) as well for my PS4 Pro and got quite some games for it. Does anyone know if PS5+PSVR2 is backward compatible for PS4+PSVR(1) games?

This is the discussion thread for an article on GTPlanet:

Gran Turismo 7 on PSVR 2 is “Historically Significant”, Says Kazunori Yamauchi

The Gran Turismo series has had a lot of milestones over its 25-year history, but the anticipation surrounding Gran Turismo 7’s free launch-day support for PSVR 2 is reaching hype levels not seen in quite some time, if ever. Kazunori Yamauchi feels it, too...
This game Is "historical regression" for single player content and structure

Pro is unlikely, last gen higher power model was only because they missed 4k performance with the first model, currently there is no "next performance goal" for todays consoles.

Slim would be more likely, as always.
What about true 4K 60 fps first party games with Ray tracing? Or is that too much in the future?

PSVR2 can't launch PSVR1 games due to completely different tracking method.
But PS5 can launch PSVR1 games with PSVR1 connected to it via special adapter which Sony is sending free of charge.
Hmm what adapter would that be? Its been a while since I connected my PSVR to my PS4 but doesn’t it just use 2 USB ports?

In that aspect, does PSVR2 still need that annoying camera on top of the TV? (I assume tracking is now inside the helmet then?)

Hmm what adapter would that be? Its been a while since I connected my PSVR to my PS4 but doesn’t it just use 2 USB ports?

In that aspect, does PSVR2 still need that annoying camera on top of the TV? (I assume tracking is now inside the helmet then?)
IIRC the PS4 had an AUX port that was non standard and used by the PS camera, so the adapter changes that to USB

Last edited:

-> 2. How to connect everything
-> 2. Connect the PlayStation Camera to your PS4 (PS5 console requires a PS Camera adaptor). The ideal height to place it is 1.4m (4’7”) from the floor.

Last edited:
But psvr2 doesn’t have a camera right?
Correct, only a single USB cable between headset and console. As the headset provides all the imaging, you dont need the extra camera as it was necessary with the previous PSVR (which still relied on PS3 controllers for some games).

Yes, PSVR2 has built in cameras and doesn't need any external camera anymore, nor the tons of cables to connect all that stuff. You just have one single USB-C cable to connect it to your PS5. It's a relief, since the first PSVR was a pain in the *** to set up!

Hi friends, would love to share a hot-take if I’m allowed!

That is: Kaz or no Kaz, there’s something about Polyphony being a first party studio, makes me feel they’d like have had requirements from PlayStation Studios to support PS VR2 before the start of development, way before any public voice had commented on GT7 after release.

The fact that every car interior has been meticulously detailed, just seems like an absurd amount of effort for what is currently just a few camera angles in the garage.

There’s also something odd about the graphical fidelity of this game — personally, even though we hit some nice framerates, it just feels like the PS5 has even more to give than it’s using for the title — however, if you consider that PS VR2 is in scope for the entire experience, it could’ve in fact been the target benchmark from the start.

That is to suggest, GT7 was by design, a PS VR2 title. Especially if you consider the aspirations from GT Sport.

That gives me the conclusion that I doubt this as a content or hotfix update, and has no real baring from player feedback. It’s the type of feature by design, which was likely just awaiting co-ordination from Sony to align with the release and mass production of their headset.

If it’s the case, personally I applaud developments like this, it shows a real strategic commitment and a well designed game. Frankly, it’s the hotfixes and unpredictable things that the team pivots to that could actually affect the trajectory and long term integrity of unreleased features like this.

Thanks for letting me share my thoughts here! Appreciate these are just mostly my feelings, and lacks evidence. Was wondering if anyone else had similar thoughts?

Yes, PSVR2 has built in cameras and doesn't need any external camera anymore, nor the tons of cables to connect all that stuff. You just have one single USB-C cable to connect it to your PS5. It's a relief, since the first PSVR was a pain in the *** to set up!
Absolute agree on that PITA to set up the old PSVR. Thank god they got rid of the external camera requirement.

You might want to check this out https://www.gtplanet.net/gt7-built-for-psvr2-from-day1-20230205/
Hi friends, would love to share a hot-take if I’m allowed!

That is: Kaz or no Kaz, there’s something about Polyphony being a first party studio, makes me feel they’d like have had requirements from PlayStation Studios to support PS VR2 before the start of development, way before any public voice had commented on GT7 after release.

The fact that every car interior has been meticulously detailed, just seems like an absurd amount of effort for what is currently just a few camera angles in the garage.

There’s also something odd about the graphical fidelity of this game — personally, even though we hit some nice framerates, it just feels like the PS5 has even more to give than it’s using for the title — however, if you consider that PS VR2 is in scope for the entire experience, it could’ve in fact been the target benchmark from the start.

That is to suggest, GT7 was by design, a PS VR2 title. Especially if you consider the aspirations from GT Sport.

That gives me the conclusion that I doubt this as a content or hotfix update, and has no real baring from player feedback. It’s the type of feature by design, which was likely just awaiting co-ordination from Sony to align with the release and mass production of their headset.

If it’s the case, personally I applaud developments like this, it shows a real strategic commitment and a well designed game. Frankly, it’s the hotfixes and unpredictable things that the team pivots to that could actually affect the trajectory and long term integrity of unreleased features like this.

Thanks for letting me share my thoughts here! Appreciate these are just mostly my feelings, and lacks evidence. Was wondering if anyone else had similar thoughts?

Back