GT7 & PSVR2

• Thread starter gtrotary
  • 5,854 comments
Hi friends, would love to share a hot-take if I’m allowed!

That is: Kaz or no Kaz, there’s something about Polyphony being a first party studio, makes me feel they’d like have had requirements from PlayStation Studios to support PS VR2 before the start of development, way before any public voice had commented on GT7 after release.

The fact that every car interior has been meticulously detailed, just seems like an absurd amount of effort for what is currently just a few camera angles in the garage.

There’s also something odd about the graphical fidelity of this game — personally, even though we hit some nice framerates, it just feels like the PS5 has even more to give than it’s using for the title — however, if you consider that PS VR2 is in scope for the entire experience, it could’ve in fact been the target benchmark from the start.

That is to suggest, GT7 was by design, a PS VR2 title. Especially if you consider the aspirations from GT Sport.

That gives me the conclusion that I doubt this as a content or hotfix update, and has no real baring from player feedback. It’s the type of feature by design, which was likely just awaiting co-ordination from Sony to align with the release and mass production of their headset.

If it’s the case, personally I applaud developments like this, it shows a real strategic commitment and a well designed game. Frankly, it’s the hotfixes and unpredictable things that the team pivots to that could actually affect the trajectory and long term integrity of unreleased features like this.

Thanks for letting me share my thoughts here! Appreciate these are just mostly my feelings, and lacks evidence. Was wondering if anyone else had similar thoughts?
This is indeed why it is so special and spot on great for me 2. Love it. And we will enjoy a revolution soon.

Last edited:
It was even worse with the first version of the headset that didnt have signal pass through for HDR.
Always swapping cables around ...
I have this model... 😅 Damn, that's one of the things I'm the most happy about! Will finally be able to play VR everyime I want! 💪💪

Spotted this

He's quite known among Gran Turismo Japanese Youtubers.
In this video he conpares GT sport to ATV and Drive Club in VR. And to resume, he says that Drive Club doesn't look half as good as GT sport in VR 😬

Last edited:
“Having GT7 fully supporting VR, it could change how people look at cars. And that’s not just for people at manufacturers but for everyone that tries it,” Yamauchi-san continued. “Visiting car design centers of automobile manufacturers even about ten years ago, each one of them had a VR headset environment where you could see the car in 3D. So even the designers of car manufacturers wanted to look at cars properly in VR while they were working on the designs.”

Well, Kaz. Then now is the best time to bring latest production cars into the game. People who want to see and experience a car before they but it need new cars which are available at the car dealer. According to the data leak we will see old VW Golf and Audi RS6. Bring the latest Golf VII and RS6 into GT7.

I've got a major concern thought... How the hell is that we are in 2023 and still nobody had the time travel machine to get working?... :?

Men of culture!!! :cheers:

VR was meant for racing games. You feel like in the car with the stereoscopic 3D and the possibility to look at 360 degrees. Not only you can watch the perfectly reproduced cockpits but you can also watch your mirrors naturally or just staring at the corner-exits like in real life. It totally change the experience from just a game to a really convincing driving experience! I've played a lot of VR games and racing is one of the very best experiences you can have in VR with shooting games, but the the fact that you are sitting in the car and not walking with a stick makes it even more immersive!

Lago Maggiore's big drop is quite impressive too, but Road Atlanta will be a blast for sure, especially with the day/night cycle. Will look so great in VR!

I even believe tha, but in my driving style, I am not interested in looking at the mirrors, or if the radio will be connected on the antenna3
Imagine you're driving irl and you cannot turn your head, you can just stare in font of you even while cornering, and you have just one eye so you can't perceive depth and distances accurately.

It's not easy to explain and even more difficult to understand how driving in VR feels like without experiencing it, but it's definitively what's the closest to driving irl.

Not caring about the cockpits is one thing, even if as a car lover it sounds a little sad, but being able to face the corner exits, look at the mirrors and perceive the depth is quite some driving basics. You'd miss it if you experience it and go back to 2D after.
I don't use cockpit view, so VR isn't useful to me.
Thanks for the clarification.

”makes you look bad”

I can’t say I agree. I mean don’t get me wrong, Kaz can be vague and unrealistically optimistic at times… but if he is only public when there is something new with the game.. I don’t see an issue with that. He could be a private person or he just not someone who likes doing interviews. Which is cool.
The idea that Kaz appears publicly only when there is something new in the game is fine to a point. But, if that 'new' thing is something that the fans have found -- like a bug, feature, content, whatever -- that fans feel is important, then a simple acknowledgement AND some communication as to how they will follow up would be how a first-rate organization operates.

Now, I'm not suggesting Kaz hire a PR org, but being in communication with fans is an important MODERN requirement for businesses.

You guys make me sooooo mad 😡

I'm on the Sony Direct site right now, agonizing over this decision.

My reasonable self says I won't make much use of it. But, I just can't resist...

Between the videos and the folks who've described the experience of VR racing, I'm losing my willpower.
I went back and forth on this as well. I couldn’t get GT7 at launch last year because of the PS5 shortage and had to wait 8 months. The reviews for PSVR2 have been so unflinchingly stellar, that I really want to get in on this. So I finally bit the bullet last weekend, and I doubt I will have regrets.

Very much looking forward to the immersive experience.

What about true 4K 60 fps first party games with Ray tracing? Or is that too much in the future?
Very much the future. True 4k requires an expensive PC.

My PC cost about £1400 and it gets 7fps with ray tracing on.

Last edited:
The idea that Kaz appears publicly only when there is something new in the game is fine to a point. But, if that 'new' thing is something that the fans have found -- like a bug, feature, content, whatever -- that fans feel is important, then a simple acknowledgement AND some communication as to how they will follow up would be how a first-rate organization operates.

Now, I'm not suggesting Kaz hire a PR org, but being in communication with fans is an important MODERN requirement for businesses.
You know that this - along with all other Gran Turismo PR and communications - is all managed by Sony and not Polyphony Digital or Yamauchi himself, right?

Sony is the "PR org".

I've bit the bullet and pre ordered, I've had the PSVR since launch and whilst I thought it was great it just wasn't quite what I expected.

This had been debating getting the new one, wasn't completely sold until I saw this article.
Almost instant purchase which has got me hyped for GT7 again 🥳

These next two weeks can't come quick enough.

Something I thought of last night: surely there's not going to be any 'wobble' camera modes while in VR, correct? @Jordan can you confirm?

In my opinion, cockpit view is unusable in it's current form because of it. Plus, I can imagine getting very sick if wobble made its way to VR.

I've bit the bullet and pre ordered, I've had the PSVR since launch and whilst I thought it was great it just wasn't quite what I expected.

This had been debating getting the new one, wasn't completely sold until I saw this article.

Ditto!

You know that this - along with all other Gran Turismo PR and communications - is all managed by Sony and not Polyphony Digital or Yamauchi himself, right?

Sony is the "PR org".
To suggest PD has no autonomy with Sony is like saying VW owns Porsche's communication. Sony likely has oversight, but to suggest they are in charge of how PD communicates on a day-to-day basis is unrealistic.

Besides, did I state that PD has their own PR department for you to insert that Sony is the 'PR org?'

To suggest PD has no autonomy with Sony is like saying VW owns Porsche's communication.
No, not really. And I deal with all four brands...
Sony likely has oversight, but to suggest they are in charge of how PD communicates on a day-to-day basis is unrealistic
As it is the reality of it, by definition it is not unrealistic.
Besides, did I state that PD has their own PR department for you to insert that Sony is the 'PR org?'
Why is that relevant?

Sony PR is Polyphony's PR. Yamauchi appears to promote GT and GT-related activities when Sony says so, not to his own timeline, and cannot "hire a PR org" as it is all channelled through Sony PR - whether you're not saying that he needs to or not.

Yamauchi appears to promote GT and GT-related activities when Sony says so, not to his own timeline
You are clearly reaching here. You are definitely aware of how a multi-brand portfolio works with a parent company. Silly for me to even respond here.

You are clearly reaching here. You are definitely aware of how a multi-brand portfolio works with a parent company. Silly for me to even respond here.
But entirely in-character.

I work regularly with every brand you've mentioned. If you did, you wouldn't be drawing inept analogies - how PD operates under Sony is not anywhere close to how Porsche operates within Volkswagen AG (which is also a different thing from Volkswagen) - and insisting it works in whatever way you are imagining.

Dig up.

Edit: That's not up.

Last edited:
Hello, thx for your amazing work. Just a question: when you get the interview with Yamauchi, why don’t you ask all the questions that the gt community here would like to ask? It is like forbidden? He cannot ask? Or what’s the problem?
Most interview sessions are dedicated to specific topics. This one was dedicated to PSVR 2.
Great work Jordon, how is the in race info dealt with, like tire wear and such?
As mentioned, tire wear, timing, and other information from the HUD is displayed in semi-transparent boxes floating around the inside of the car.
It could be suprise that u dont get see the cars in game vr unless u dont own them.
I'm not sure if you made a typo, but to clarify you can look at cars in VR Showroom even if you don't own them.
Something I thought of last night: surely there's not going to be any 'wobble' camera modes while in VR, correct? @Jordan can you confirm?

In my opinion, cockpit view is unusable in it's current form because of it. Plus, I can imagine getting very sick if wobble made its way to VR.
Only interior view is available when playing in VR. I did not note any additional "wobble" in the camera. It felt as if it was only reacting to the movements of my head.

I went back and forth on this as well. I couldn’t get GT7 at launch last year because of the PS5 shortage and had to wait 8 months. The reviews for PSVR2 have been so unflinchingly stellar, that I really want to get in on this. So I finally bit the bullet last weekend, and I doubt I will have regrets.

Very much looking forward to the immersive experience.

I said previously I was going to wait for actual users here and elsewhere to get their hands on it and give their reviews before I resubmitted my previously canceled pre-order. But after reading and watching all the reviews that published once the media embargo lifted, I changed my mind again and ordered it again. No cancelation this time, I cannot wait to get my hands on this thing. At this point I hope I am not overselling it in my own mind, and it's as epic as I think it might be.

Imagine if it worked with multiple headsets. In that we could drive passengers around. Sure, it’d be the cost of an F1 weekend or one month’s rent, but pretty cool to share with people who know little of Motorsport.
I was thinking of this, too. Tbh, I can't see any reason that they wouldn't be able to do a passenger mode, if you had an online friend also with PSVR2 and GT7.

Just another dude in the passenger seat :-) Would be a great 2 up chat room if you could see each others heads moving...

Only interior view is available when playing in VR. I did not note any additional "wobble" in the camera. It felt as if it was only reacting to the movements of my head.
Awesome, thank you. I should have said wobble 'camera effects' or 'types' as it's listed in the cockpit view menu.

Back