GT7 & PSVR2

• Thread starter gtrotary
  • 5,854 comments
My delivery was delayed to tomorrow evening even though the headset arrived in my city last night…
It’s 3 kilometers away right now and will take roughly 30 more hours to get to me.

I wish I could get away with being this bad at my job.

UPS has been sitting on my package since the weekend, probably as to not break the street date since the hub is 79 miles from my house. Here is my current rig that I share with the PC and PS5. I've been playing sim racing games in VR since 2016, GT in a rig since 2008 and GT since 1997. 😀 If you would've told me when GT7 first came out that I'd be playing it in my rig with shaker, motion and VR, I would not have believed you, but here we are!

Peace \/
chisel316

Attachments

• 20230220_220320.jpg
    20230220_220320.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 21
UPS has been sitting on my package since the weekend, probably as to not break the street date since the hub is 79 miles from my house. Here is my current rig that I share with the PC and PS5. I've been playing sim racing games in VR since 2016, GT in a rig since 2008 and GT since 1997. 😀 If you would've told me when GT7 first came out that I'd be playing it in my rig with shaker, motion and VR, I would not have believed you, but here we are!

Peace \/
chisel316
Levels...i feel happy with my g29, shifter and gt omega apex stand but your setup is levels ahead. Nice work.

Oh boy, they did it again !!! The camera is locked to the horizon like GT Sport with PSVR1 ☹️

I wanted to order mine but this detail could ruin the experience for me because it is totally unnatural (we are not chicken PD) and it can bring a lot of motion sickness.

I have a (really) small hope they will add an option to lock the view to the car....
I feel like this is simulating the inertial you actually experience irl. Looking at other videos, the banking horizon tilts with the car. With sharp turns, like with the Type R in the video, the camera view maintains horizon to the environment. When I track irl, I do find myself being pulled away from the car having to tilt my head to the corner. If I don't use any muscle, my head will just want to rest against the side pillar of the door at the ground horizon level. I think the horizon they try to rep is realistic.

Levels...i feel happy with my g29, shifter and gt omega apex stand but your setup is levels ahead. Nice work.

Thanks! You should definitely feel happy! It took many years for my rig to evolve into what it is today. I actually used a G27 from 2011 until last year. Here is what it looked like in 2008 when I first put it together.

Attachments

• Arcade 007.jpg
    Arcade 007.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
For new VR players and sensitive people, I would suggest putting them in the slowest car ever, and have do a time trial at their pace and leisure, so they can minimize the sensory overload, give them time to adjust...

You don't want to turn them off to this great VR experience

Does no one a good favor
They really need a helmet POV. It will really help motion sickness with the limited FOV range as irl with a helmet, you can't see too far to the sides, only the padding on your helmet. Google Earth VR, to prevent motion sickness while moving, limits FOV and it works really well. I can spend hours moving about.

Yes I've played a ton of racing in VR. I know the camera tracks your head. Except in GT7, it doesn't do that tracking relative to the banking of the car, but relative to the horizon. This can clearly be seen in the original clip when he's driving on Northern Isle. The issue is basically (pushed to the extreme) that if you flip the car on its roof, your head would still be the right way up. It should also be upside down then.

If I would not move my head, and my car makes a barrel roll, my head ingame does not make that barrel roll, but it should.

See the end of this video for what I mean (at 0:40)
GT7 works like the right side, but I prefer the left side, and would like to have an option for that

Sorry for being so pedantic about this, but ...

I still agree with you that the left view is the correct view. However, in the left view the head of the driver appears to be very locked to the car, there is hardly any motion. In the view on the right, mostly due to being locked to the horizon, the cockpit appears to move around plenty. This conveys much more "action" and involvement.

Being in a car at the limit will exert significant forces on the body, therefore I believe the left view should have noteable movement of the driver's head in the car to reflect this. Other than that, I remain curious how the VR cockpit view will feel. Now that I've noticed, the VR view being locked to the horizon appears quite irritating to me in all videos I see, but maybe it's different when actually playing the game in VR.

EDIT: I double-checked out of curiosity: on a flat screen, the view is also locked to the horizon. I've never noticed this before, so maybe in VR it won't feel as obvious as it does now that we're talking specifically about it.

Last edited:
First off. UN-BE-LIEVABLE! Incredible!
Took the headset off to give my wife a try. She only got past the start line of Tsukuba and her vertigo got her. Done.

Alright, before that trial, I selected The Honda F1. Garage showroom. Immediately. No words. Well, I said all the R-rated words while my wife was filming my reactions. Sorry, folks, but you really need the vR headset. I just can’t express how real it is.
The attention to detail PD do, it’s clearly seen. The yellow distributor wires. The tubing in the cockpit. The links of the suspension. The bolts, nuts and screws. The pitting on the outer shell of the car itself. Amaze balls.

I hit a button and it changed the time of day as I sat in the car.

Then, one lap of Grand Valley Hwy1. Ridiculous.
Again, no words. My kind made me believe the undulations were real. I actually leaned into the first couple corners. Looked around me. I was stopping mid-sentence due to the sheer amazingness. These are my feelings. I don’t know what anyone else will experience, but I did feel the sense of movement. I can see how some might feel uneasy. I just think that’s part of the experience. A crazy new experience.

Again, the effort by PD… Yes, it’s a game changer for the franchise. Why would anyone play the game on a tv. I feel it’s not niche. Not after trying this. It’s a straight up money well spent by me.
Yes, I’m hyped, excited, but having a personal home VR set and a great game to use it, was worth the wait, my money and the experience is something Iwill continue to be in awe of. There really can’t be another way to play this game short of jumping in a real 1965 Honda F1 racer.

One more thing, of many things, looking at the virtual body was crazy. It’s like the abay legs of Deadpool driving. The arms shifting hgears and I can see the chest of the avatar. It’s scary in a funny way. Again, I repeat, there’s just no words.

Maybe people with bad vertigo will ask for their money back or try a different game, but I can’t see, from my experience, whats the next move for VR? It’s crazy.

Edit: Forgot :lol: Just setting up the VR was worth the money. Thee eye-tracking, the headset calculating the room and setting up the play area(standing and sitting). It’s a crazy experience.

Some people on /r/PSVR have complained about it being more blurry than they expected with a really small sweet spot. Would you agree with this? Many people are expecting PS5 crisp graphics. It may also be the case they haven't quite got their headset settings right. Any feedback on this?

Some people on /r/PSVR have complained about it being more blurry than they expected with a really small sweet spot. Would you agree with this? Many people are expecting PS5 crisp graphics. It may also be the case they haven't quite got their headset settings right. Any feedback on this?
It was said a lot that PSVR2 needs to be adjusted quite carefully to achieve full image quality.

Okay. Round 2. My 11yo daughter isn’t feeling any motion sickness since playing for 15 minutes at Goodwood in the RA272. She felt more tripped out in the VR Showroom. Quite enjoying herself. “It’s much easier to drive than without VR.”

I did a two-lap per at Autopolis. Very very nice. The VR replay has me watching on the grass. Much better than at GVH. Plus, the picture quality looked better than I experienced at GVH. Not sure what’s up there.

Edit: Now she’s ripping around Bathurst in a Kamei Golf. It’s nearly 7pm and I’m about call bedtime so I can play!:lol:

Last edited:
It was said a lot that PSVR2 needs to be adjusted quite carefully to achieve full image quality.
Yes, the IPD needs to be EXACTLY right, fortunately Sony made this adjustable on the headset with a manual knob.
The Windows Mixed Reality headsets have a software setting which means lots of trying to measure the distance between the centres of your pupils.....
But, get this setting right and everything is much clearer.

For those experiencing issues with VR try a nice slow car (yeah I know boring....) and drive around the new track at sunset, time trial, just enjoy the view.......

Yes, the IPD needs to be EXACTLY right, fortunately Sony made this adjustable on the headset with a manual knob.
The Windows Mixed Reality headsets have a software setting which means lots of trying to measure the distance between the centres of your pupils.....
But, get this setting right and everything is much clearer.

For those experiencing issues with VR try a nice slow car (yeah I know boring....) and drive around the new track at sunset, time trial, just enjoy the view.......
Is there a calibration process to guide you through setting the thing properly? Also, once you set the helmet up and get it off, does it need to be readjusted every time you wear it?

I am almost convinced to buy the helmet, but am a bit worried about motion sickness and some minor lacking options (eg the horizon lock) - but these should be easy fixes for upcoming versions. I had given a go to the PSVR 1 on a shop, but didn't spend too much time adjusting it, after 20 mins, I had a 3-hour headache. It's reassuring to know that you must get used to it first based on a comment I saw somewhere above.

Last but not least, since I don't have a steady rig, and I have to connect everything to the living room before I play, no I just place the wheel open and play. Does the helmet require additional effort except than connecting it to the USB?

Yo guys!

Been playing the game for more han 3 hours now, it passed in a blink!

I'm here for the good and less good news, since some asked for pros and cons. It might help some of you not to be disappointed, especially players used to high-end PCVR experience.

As I already said on this topic, I spent dozens and dozens of hours on GT sport VR on PS4 pro and PS5, and drove something like 150-200 cars, so I already know all of the qualities of GT in VR, and even if I had a wow effect and was smiling like an idiot for the whole first hour, I don't think that you can have twice the blast that you have with your first VR racing experience. I did know what to expect, and it's almost exactly what the game delivers: a high end VR experience with incredible graphics and an immersion better than ever!

This said, there are a few subtleties I wasn't prepared to after hearing the first reviews. I'll begin with the bad mood, sorry for cooling down the hype a little... 😅

First thing I noticed is that there's a halo around letters when you look at a white text on a black screen or bright things during a night race. I think that it's due to the Fresnel lenses and the high contrasts of the HDR OLED. I lowered the screen luminosity and it was a little better. Once the screen gets clearer you won't notice anything so it's not that big of an issue, but it's worth noting.

The screen-door effect, grill effect, grain, or whatever you call it, is also still present. You will mostly notice it during night races as well, the rest of the time it almost disappears so it's not a big deal neither, but it's good to know since most reviewers said the contrary, maybe because they mostly played "bright" games like Horizon.

When you move to much of your position the screen will turn black, like in GT sport, but with more margin and a parameter to have a little more space.

Since some asked, you cannot calibrate your default position. You can recalibrate your position by holding the option button, like in GT sport, but the default position was perfect in all the cars I drove so far. It seems way better than in GT sport where I had to recalibrate with half of the cars. But it would be great if we could just slide back the seat in some cars. Maybe in GT8? ^^'

The biggest issue I noticed is the ghosting due to the 120fps reprojection and the speed of cars. Probably that the base framerate of GT sport running on PS5 was better because I didn't have this issue. Basically, when there's a car next to you and you look at it, you will notice 2 different images of the car at the same time which will make it look blurry. I made many custom races, and when an itasha passed next to me, the anime characters on it didn't look as neat as they were in GT sport on PS5. If you keep the same speed than the other car then it will become super clear, but when you overtake a car and look at it you will most likely notice it due to the difference of speed, and it's even more pronounced when watching VR replays. This was not an issue in GT sport so I didn't expect that and it's the only real minus for me so far! But except waiting for a PS5 pro or PS6 which could handle a better base framerate, there's nothing to do about it.

Now for the pros, I will skip all the wow effect inherent to VR, 05XR8 already described it perfectly. I will focus on what really impressed me compared to GT sport.

Even if it's 4K, I was almost sure that the definition would be quite downgraded compared to a 4K TV, due to the proximity of the screen. That was the case with PSVR1, it was 1080P but the pixels looked way bigger than on a 1080P TV.
But damn! The resolution of the PSVR2 is sick! You can read the most little writings on the dashboards perfectly, it's all crystal clear and you can't notice any aliasing nor can tell that the image is indeed composed of pixels. Really impressive! The only moment I noticed pixels is on 2D menus with a white line on a black background. Maybe some other players will notice it elsewhere, but I genuinely didn't. Way better than I imagined!

Tracking improved too, and the see-through button is a life changer!

You don't use them in GT7, but the sense controllers are dope and the tracking is 100 times better than the move controller of PSVR1. Can't wait to try them on other games :)

The dynamic weather and day/night cycle are a real treat in VR, but I was expecting it so it's not a big suprise for me. Still it's really cool and adds a lot to the experience compared to GT sport.

Having 20 cars on the track instead of 2 is way better, of course, and the fact that you can access any race and any mode of the game in VR is almost too good to be true! 😁

The drawing distance is WAY better than in GT sport, and seeing the other cars with headlights lit up on the opposite side of the track at Big Willow by night is super impressive ^^

Like I said earlier, I didn't play VR in 5 or 6 weeks, but I didn't feel the slightest bit of dizziness after more than 3 hours in a row, so I guess that it improved over the first headset, even if everybody is different and most new VR players will feel it anyway at some point, and maybe even more for those playing on controller.

The VR replays are really cool, except for the ghosting, even if I hope that we'll get a cockpit replay option in a future update.

The cars level of detail in VR showroom is really amazing! Can't wait to watch all my favorite cars and liveries! The walking speed is slower than in GT sport, and I'd love to have a smooth movement of the camera when using the right stick, but except that it's perfect and the better way to appreciate the massive work done by PD on the cars models.

Another thing that really impressed me is the sharpness of the mirrors reflections! Even if there's some clipping like in the flat version, it looks way better than in GT sport, and to me it looked even better than on TV, which I never expected. Looking at the cars you just overtook feels even better!

I don't know to what extent high-end PCVR players will be impressed with the game, but it's safe to say that GT7 is probably the best looking VR racing game so far :)

Those who come from PSVR1 will have a real next gen leap, and newbies will probably have a once in a lifetime blast, but one thing is sure, unless you have a really weak inner ear, most of you here won't be able to play the flat version no more in a few days! 😁

Last edited:
Is there a calibration process to guide you through setting the thing properly? Also, once you set the helmet up and get it off, does it need to be readjusted every time you wear it?

<snip>

Last but not least, since I don't have a steady rig, and I have to connect everything to the living room before I play, no I just place the wheel open and play. Does the helmet require additional effort except than connecting it to the USB?
Questions for those who've already used theirs, but based on my Acer WMR (only 1440x1440 pixels)
Once set it does stay set and just plug in and play once setup the first time.
According to the teardown video the ipd adjustment actually moves the lens/screen assemblies apart or together which is better than the software adjustment of WMR.

Maybe once set use a sharpy to mark your setting to quickly reset to if someone else uses your headset?

For anyone in UK who has order status 'preparing to ship' and feeling sad, then try the below Reddit link:

Edit - Not sure how to get the link to display on here -

https://www.reddit.com/r/PSVR/

Then look for the title: "PSA: Find your tracking number without an email from Sony" and follow the instructions.

It's a bit fiddly, but I ended up finding my tracking number and despite my status being 'preparing to ship', it's actually with the courier and out for delivery between 1pm - 2pm this afternoon.

Further edit - These are the instructions I followed.

To find tracking number:

1. go to the order details page for your headset (edit: the individual order page, not the page with the "last 6 months" dropdown)
  2. right click on the page + click "inspect element"
  3. go to the "Network" tab
  4. reload the page
  5. find and click on the row with a domain of "api.direct.playstation.com" (type will be "xhr")
  6. search (ctrl+f) for "trackingID"
You should see a line that looks like this:

"trackingID": "12345678901234",

Put the ID into a parcel tracker like https://parcelsapp.com/en/tracking and something should come up

Last edited:
@Papiculo64 Thanks for your thorough information on the helmet and GT7. I never owned a VR and only tried PSVR1 once - back then it was a skip for me since it didn't live up to my expectations resolution and performance-wise. I am too excited about PSVR2 and until your post above where you mentioned the 'cons' I was almost convinced to get it.

I know that there's no way you can replicate the ghosting, but is it that severe? Are you certain that it's a performance limitation? - could it be a fix that could come later? Have you tried any other games where this is also visible?

Also, in the videos that start spreading on youtube, I see some visible stuttering at points - is this reflected in the actual VR gameplay headset or is it just a limitation of the HDMI replication?

Thank you @Papiculo64 for this really good detailed review !

Do you still have access to the "wobble" parameter in VR ? (hoping that it could act as a lock to the car view...)
The biggest issue I noticed is the ghosting due to the 120fps reprojection and the speed of cars. Probably that the base framerate of GT sport running on PS5 was better because I didn't have this issue. Basically, when you pass a car next to you and you look at it, you will notice 2 different images of the car at the same time which will make it look blurry. I made many custom races, and when an itasha passed next to me, the anime characters on it didn't look as neat as they were in GT sport on PS5. If you keep the same speed than the other car then it will become super clear, but when you overtake a car and look at it you will most likely notice it due to the difference in speed, and it's even more pronounced when watching VR replays. This was not an issue in GT sport so I didn't expect that and it's the only real minus for me so far! But except waiting for a PS5 pro or PS6 which could handle a better base framerate, there's nothing to do with it.
This part is really concerning :confused: , and unfortunately there is no way to record it to really see how it looks. In GTSport VR on PS4 I don't remember having this problem ?!

Reprojection sure adds 1 fake frame between two real frames but it's not supposed to superimpose ? And there is no ghosting on an OLED screen even at 120fps so it is really strange ! For object that moves really fast near you I was more expecting something like a small lag because it's difficult with high speed objects to calculate precisely where it will be.... Perhaps they decided to superimpose frame because they had too much lag ?

Last edited:
I'm still waiting for my headset to arrive but regarding the ghosting effect, David Heaney from Upload VR (their podcast is the most jaded ever) said that only the games reprojected at 120hz from 60fps have this issue. Horizon suffers from the same ghosting effect but all the native 90/120fps games are flawless.

When he tried it 4 months ago, he thought the headset was defective. The good news is, this reprojection technic could possibly be improved with better algorythm... He even suggests that Sony should add a performance option at native 90 fps, but thats mostly wishfull thinking.

Worst case scenario, we ll have to wait for the PS5 Pro to have our 90/120 fps native mode xD

fake edit : I think that depending to people, this effect is more or less noticeable

Last edited:
After a bit of a mess with UPS tracking, saying it would be delivered yesterday, then delayed to Friday, then unknown, it just got delivered :D

Now the long wait for the end of my working day to actually set it up and try it...

I'm still waiting for the controller charging station to be delivered (probably tomorrow or Friday), but at least that's not holding me back from playing

Last edited:
Yo guys!

Been playing the game for more han 3 hours now, it passed in a blink!

I'm here for the good and less good news, since some asked for pros and cons. It might help some of you not to be disappointed, especially players used to high-end PCVR experience.

As I already said on this topic, I spent dozens and dozens of hours on GT sport VR on PS4 pro and PS5, and drove something like 150-200 cars, so I already know all of the qualities of GT in VR, and even if I had a wow effect and was smiling like an idiot for the whole first hour, I don't think that you can have twice the blast that you have with your first VR racing experience. I did know what to expect, and it's almost exactly what the game delivers: a high end VR experience with incredible graphics and an immersion better than ever!

This said, there are a few subtleties I wasn't prepared to after hearing the first reviews. I'll begin with the bad mood, sorry for cooling down the hype a little... 😅

First thing I noticed is that there's a halo around letters when you look at a white text on a black screen. I think that it's due to the Fresnel lenses or the high contrasts of the HDR OLED. I lowered the screen luminosity a little and it was a little better. Once in the game you won't notice anything so it's not that big of an issue, but it's worth noting.

The screen-door effect, grill effect, grain, or whatever you call it, is also still present. You will mostly notice it during night races, the rest of the time it seems to disappear almost completely, so it's not a big deal neither, But it's good to know since most reviewers said the contrary, maybe because they mostly played "bright" games like Horizon.

When you move to much of your position the screen will turn black, like in GT sport, but there's a little more margin and a parameter to have a little more space.

Since some asked, you cannot calibrate your default position. You can recalibrate your position by holding the option button, like in GT sport, but the default position was perfect in all the cars I drove so far. It seems way better than in GT sport where I had to recalibrate with half of the cars. But it would be great if we could just slide back the seat in some cars. Maybe in GT8? ^^'

The biggest issue I noticed is the ghosting due to the 120fps reprojection and the speed of cars. Probably that the base framerate of GT sport running on PS5 was better because I didn't have this issue. Basically, when you pass a car next to you and you look at it, you will notice 2 different images of the car at the same time which will make it look blurry. I made many custom races, and when an itasha passed next to me, the anime characters on it didn't look as neat as they were in GT sport on PS5. If you keep the same speed than the other car then it will become super clear, but when you overtake a car and look at it you will most likely notice it due to the difference in speed, and it's even more pronounced when watching VR replays. This was not an issue in GT sport so I didn't expect that and it's the only real minus for me so far! But except waiting for a PS5 pro or PS6 which could handle a better base framerate, there's nothing to do with it.

Now for the pros, I will skip all the wow effect inherent to VR, 05XR8 already described it perfectly. I will focus on what really impressed me compared to GT sport.

Even if it's 4K, I was almost sure that the definition would be quite downgraded compared to a 4K TV, due to the proximity of the screen. That was the case with PSVR1, it was 1080P but the pixels looked way bigger than on a 1080P TV.
But damn! The resolution of the PSVR2 is sick! You can read the most little writings on the dashboards perfectly, it's all crystal clear and you can't notice any aliasing nor can tell that the image is indeed composed of pixels. Really impressive! The only moment I noticed pixels is on 2D menus with a white line on a black background. Maybe some other players will notice it elsewhere, but I genuinely didn't. Way better than I imagined!

Tracking improved too, and the see-through button is a life changer!

You don't use them in GT7, but the sense controllers are dope and the tracking is 100 times better than the move controller of PSVR1. Can't wait to try them on other games :)

The dynamic weather and day/night cycle are a real treat in VR, but I was expecting it so it's not a big suprise for me. Still it's really cool and adds a lot to the experience compared to GT sport.

Having 20 cars on the track instead of 2 is way better, of course, and the fact that you can access any race and any mode of the game in VR is almost too good to be true! 😁

The drawing distance is WAY better than in GT sport, and seeing the other cars with headlights lit up on the opposite side of the track at Big Willow by night is super impressive ^^

Like I said earlier, I didn't play VR in 5 or 6 weeks, but I didn't feel the slightest bit of dizziness after more than 3 hours in a row, so I guess that it improved over the first headset, even if everybody is different and most new VR players will feel it anyway at some point, and maybe even more for those playing on controller.

The VR replays are really cool, except for the ghosting, even if I hope that we'll get a cockpit replay option in a future update.

The cars level of detail in VR showroom is really amazing! Can't wait to watch all my favorite cars and liveries! The walking speed is slower than in GT sport, and I'd love to have a smooth movement of the camera when using the right stick, but except that it's perfect and the better way to appreciate the massive work done by PD on the cars models.

Another thing that really impressed me is the sharpness of the mirrors reflections! Even if there's some clipping like in the flat version, it looks way better than in GT sport, and to me it looked even better than on TV, which I never expected. Looking at the cars you just overtook feels even better!

I don't know to what extent high-end PCVR players will be impressed with the game, but it's safe to say that GT7 is probably the best looking VR racing game so far :)

Those who come from PSVR1 will have a real next gen leap, and newbies will probably have a once in a lifetime blast, but one thing is sure, unless you have a really weak inner ear, most of you here won't be able to play the flat version no more in a few days! 😁
That does explain a lot of what I‘ve been noticing.

I know this isn’t GT7 but these tips might be useful for those that have their headset already.
So posting it here for awareness.

From this video it seems there's an option to turn off the 120 Hz refresh rate for the VR 2 headset. Am I understanding this correctly? It would reduce the refresh rate to 60 Hz, but probably also get rid of the ghosting!?

Last edited:
From this video it seems there's an option to turn off the 120 Hz refresh rate for the VR 2 headset. Am I understanding this correctly? It would reduce the refresh rate to 60 Hz, but probably also get rid of the ghosting!?
This is only for content displayed in "cinema mode".

Btw, I'm not sure if this ghosting is caused by reprojection, or just the anti-aliasing solution that causes ghosting in the flat game as well.

Latest Posts

Back