GT7 & PSVR2

• Thread starter gtrotary
  • 5,854 comments
I don’t know if anyone else has been experiencing this, but while viewing the interior in the car (both in VR studio and racing), looking in any direction around the cockpit causes the viewpoint to constantly shift backwards and forwards a couple of inches. It can be pretty nauseating and distracting. I tried calibrating the headset & eye tracking settings multiple times in various lighting conditions, but it hasn’t fixed the issue.

Edit: Appeared to just be calibration issues with the headset. Sticking duct tape to the walls has given the headset some extra node points as a reference, so just avoid facing white walls, with a white ceiling!

Apart from this, my experience has been great so far. Had a couple of dicey moments in the historic race at Grand Valley. The headset vibration made the 100mph barrier impact surprisingly immersive. Graphics are clear and beautiful, and the VR Showrooms look amazing.

Last edited:
I don’t know if anyone else has been experiencing this, but while viewing the interior in the car (both in VR studio and racing), looking in any direction around the cockpit causes the viewpoint to constantly shift backwards and forwards a couple of inches. It can be pretty nauseating and distracting. I tried calibrating the headset & eye tracking settings multiple times in various lighting conditions, but it hasn’t fixed the issue.

Apart from this, my experience has been great so far. Had a couple of dicey moments in the historic race at Grand Valley. The headset vibration made the 100mph barrier impact surprisingly immersive. Graphics are clear and beautiful, and the VR Showrooms look amazing. Unfortunately I feel these head tracking issues are tarnishing the experience so far.
Not had that experience myself. I wasn't turning my head a great deal though. No more that 90 degrees to left and right and looking up and down.

Right? I've been playing for an hour or two. My mind is blown. I had VR1 and this is a step up for sure. No motion sickness for me but I never had it with gran turismo with the previous VR either. This is worthwhile and the best way to enjoy gran turismo
PXL_20230222_114958902.jpg

Pretty amazing... did Spa first... had to park the car it was so overwhelming.

Now taking a break as my stomach went weird. As others say, hard to find the sweet spot and the strap was hitting my Playseat too. Also I could see some grain over the image (screen pixels?) although not noticeable most of the time.

Incredible to experience and will see if I can iron out the issues, Kayaking next...

Now taking a break as my stomach went weird. As others say, hard to find the sweet spot and the strap was hitting my Playseat too. Also I could see some grain over the image (screen pixels?) although not noticeable most of the time.

Incredible to experience and will see if I can iron out the issues, Kayaking next...
Was the strap forcing your head to tilt forward? I'm not a fan of developing nerd neck. I do plan on getting the Playseat Trophy eventually and the headrest on that doesn't seem to tilt as forward as the Challenge.

Please report back and compare Kayak to GT7, as I also want Kayak for my kids.

It seems that my PSVR2 has just been delivered, by UPS to a friendly neighbor I asked to accept the shipment.

EDIT: I'm interested in Kayak as well, and I'm sure we're not alone. Maybe its worth an own thread in the appropriate subforum (as it would be offtopic here)?

Last edited:
@Papiculo64 Sorry for the tagging, but is it possible to adjust the seating position to make it closer and higher? I've seen some footage of the maclaren and the 911 where again the hands are blocking the view.

Also, what are the HUD options like? Can you mode them around and customized them in any way, os is it just on or off?

Last one, did you play in cockpit view before? And you would say this provides a better viewing angle?

Thanks

So just had a quick blast on PSVR2 and GT7. I'm normally a PC sim racer using Quest2.

So far my experience has been great, from the initial setup to getting in game is a breeze compared to PC. The comfort of the PSVR2 is also really good. With the quest you have the headset pushed up against your face to remove any light leakage which can be uncomfortable for long periods of time, wearas the PSVR2 sits on your head and more floats across your face (definitely better than other VR I've used).

As for the GT7 experience, it's amazing and VR totally transforms the game to how it should be, trust me you're be laughing and smiling playing this for the 1st time. There are few graphical glitches, but you will not notice that unless your really looking hard for them.

The one main thing that needs improving, it the seating position. I sit in a rig the the in-car wheel is too close to me vs. the rig, which removes a little of the immersive experience. I may have to mess around with the boundary setup to resolve this. Also the earbuds don't deliver the best sound, so maybe worth investing is some decent headphones.

All in all, a great VR experience. Well done Sony!

So just had a quick blast on PSVR2 and GT7. I'm normally a PC sim racer using Quest2.

So far my experience has been great, from the initial setup to getting in game is a breeze compared to PC. The comfort of the PSVR2 is also really good. With the quest you have the headset pushed up against your face to remove any light leakage which can be uncomfortable for long periods of time, wearas the PSVR2 sits on your head and more floats across your face (definitely better than other VR I've used).

As for the GT7 experience, it's amazing and VR totally transforms the game to how it should be, trust me you're be laughing and smiling playing this for the 1st time. There are few graphical glitches, but you will not notice that unless your really looking hard for them.

The one main thing that needs improving, it the seating position. I sit in a rig the the in-car wheel is too close to me vs. the rig, which removes a little of the immersive experience. I may have to mess around with the boundary setup to resolve this. Also the earbuds don't deliver the best sound, so maybe worth investing is some decent headphones.

All in all, a great VR experience. Well done Sony!

Hey Andrew, care to take a crack at these questions? Please?
Thanks

Was the strap forcing your head to tilt forward? I'm not a fan of developing nerd neck. I do plan on getting the Playseat Trophy eventually and the headrest on that doesn't seem to tilt as forward as the Challenge.
No, but I had to sit up a bit straighter. Tried the Trophy a few months ago and the headrest did seem less of an angle (and it is much softer - more like a drum with material stretched across the frame).

Sorry, I messed up the quote.

Is it possible to adjust the seating position to make it closer and higher? I've seen some footage of the maclaren and the 911 where again the hands are blocking the view.

Also, what are the HUD options like? Can you mode them around and customized them in any way, os is it just on or off?

Last one, did you play in cockpit view before? And you would say this provides a better viewing angle?

Thanks

Headset randomly showed up an hour ago even though tracking said it wouldn´t until tomorrow.

Had a great time so far, but I have to say I expected a bigger jump in overall sharpness.

This is definitely the best way to play GT7 now. And for the money, it's one of the best experiences you can have racing in VR. I knew there would be some complaints about the picture clarity with everyone expecting the picture to look as clear as what was being mirrored on the tv. But it's actually really good compared to something like a Quest 2 running on PC. It still doesn't beat the clarity of my G2 running on a 4090/13900 pc. But that takes a $4k plus pc to run like that.

Unfortunately after a couple hours I'm just as bored with GT7 as I was playing on a monitor. So I'll be giving my PSVR2 to my nephew and sticking with PC. Plus after setting up 4k triples, I rarely care to mess with VR now.

Is it possible to adjust the seating position to make it closer and higher? I've seen some footage of the maclaren and the 911 where again the hands are blocking the view.

Thanks
You cannot adjust the seat position in game. I think the only workaround for this is to sit higher/lower/further/closer when setting up the boundary. So I'm sitting too close so I will move closer when setting up and then move back after setup, but not tested this yet.

I've not messed with the HUD option.

I always play cockpit view and VR 100% improves this.

You cannot adjust the seat position in game. I think the only workaround for this is to sit higher/lower/further/closer when setting up the boundary. So I'm sitting too close so I will move closer when setting up and then move back after setup, but not tested this yet.

I've not messed with the HUD option.

I always play cockpit view and VR 100% improves this.

Thanks for the reply. Appreciate it.

Is the scenery outside the car meant to be really blurry? I can hardly read road signs and banks of fields with spectators just look like coloured splodges. Is anyone getting sharp scenery? The interior looks okay, but the graphics outside the car don't look right at all.

Hopefully it's just the way I have set things up.

First post for me – I’ve been lurking for ages but having just tried out PSVR2 I need to vent somewhere. WOW. This is nuts. I’ve never tried any VR before and honestly it wasn’t really on my radar, but having fallen down the GT7/Fanatec rabbit hole last year I couldn’t resist preordering when they announced the whole game would available in VR. I bought it solely for GT7.

I’ve barely scratched the surface so far as I’m supposed to be working (ha) and didn’t want to risk overdoing it at first anyway. I picked up a shiny red MX5 to test with as it was recommended here and I used to own an NC anyway, so it seemed like a fun thing to try out. I hadn’t bought one in game before, so my first step was to sort that. When I clicked through to the showroom page I spotted the VR showroom button…

It’s insane. The scale feels so perfect, I can’t really explain it other than to say it really does feel like you’re walking around the car, and you can really appreciate every last detail. And this is just with an MX5 – with properly exotic stuff I could see myself losing huge amounts of time to the showroom alone. (Also, cool to see you can use the showroom before buying cars – I assumed it would only be possible with owned cars. I guess the other locations are restricted to cars you own?)

Having bought the car I thought I’d try a couple of laps of Goodwood, as it’s up the road from me in real life and I know it very well. As soon as I loaded in I just had to stop the car and look around. It’s so unlike the normal GT7 experience that it doesn’t really feel comparable. You are genuinely in the car, and questions about different views feel completely irrelevant. You’re just in the seat, as you would be in real life.

Once I got moving it did feel a bit weird, not in a bad way necessarily, but my brain just didn’t quite know what was going on – it’s definitely going to take some getting used to. It felt fine on the straights, but with the floaty MX5 suspension there’s a lot of dive in the brakes and roll in the corners, and that’s where the disconnect between what you’re seeing and what you’re feeling kicks in. I don’t feel any the worse for it but can understand why people say not to overdo it at first. I’ll probably just stick to a few laps at a time in slow cars for a little while.

Given that the MX5 felt pretty nuts I can’t imagine I’ll be troubling any of my previous TT records or jumping into F1 cars in a rush, but that’s fine by me, I’ll get there eventually.

Definitely no regrets on the impulse buy so far.

Have had a quick blast so will give a bunch of first impressions in no particular order! I've have an Oculus CV1 so already have my VR legs, although I haven't used it for at least a year or 2 so was curious if I'd feel anything untoward.

The headset really is light, and much easier to put on / take off / get into position and adjust than others I've used.

Setup is quick and easy, and everything just works. This is refreshing compared to the PC!

The face seal really does block out any light. I was doing Bathurst at night and it is pitch black inside the headset despite being sat by a window.

The back of the headset does touch the Playseat Trophy headrest, especially if you put your head back. It didn't naturally hit it for me, but it's very close and if you have better posture than me it might force your head forward perhaps.

The headphones volume was pretty low, I didn't waste time looking how to change this as I wanted to play!

All of the VR tracking etc. worked perfectly.

The pass-through camera is not detailed enough to be able to read the display on the Logitech G Pro, although it's enough that you just about know which menu item you're on in order to re-set the settings (as GT overrides them when the controller first connects)

I felt like I had small hands in game. It's hard to describe, but it felt like the scale of the world was slightly off, slightly small. I haven't felt this previously in Assetto Corsa with the Oculus, it certainly wasn't distracting or anything, but was just something I noticed.

I still feel the lock to horizon type viewpoint is nicer, for me it engages my head to move with the car, and that helps make my body feel present inside the car, as if you can feel the car move through your backside. It's also helpful with sensing the weight shift when braking, as you can see the nose lift slightly as you reduce the braking pressure for example.

I can't see any screen door effect (in terms of how I could on the Rift DK2 or CV1). It manifests as if there's sort of a layer of soft 'fuzz' over the screen, it's hard to describe once again, but day or night I couldn't see the literal black lines between pixels at all like you could on the older Oculuses I've used. It's a little bit like you are wearing a helmet and the visor is minutely dusty, the world 'behind' the fuzz looks pristine.

The way the car / race info is displayed is really nicely done, it's actually so unintrusive that initially (as in for a good few laps!) I didn't even see the gear / lap indicator floating above your main viewpoint. It'd be nice to be able to turn the brightness of the menu items down (the radar etc.) as at night in a dark cockpit it's a little bright.

The ghosting mentioned above, I didn't really notice it when just playing, it didn't stand out to me, but for example if you turn to look at trackside marshalls / crowds etc. it is very apparent.

There's definitely a sweet spot of focus in the middle of the lenses, although this is much larger and more forgiving than the Oculus, and the positioning of the headset seems less critical to hitting this sweet spot compared to the Oculus.

Overall, I wouldn't say I was blown away, but that's because there was a lot of well documented hype and I am very used to the magic of VR. The graphics are more than good enough to be immersive but I think have lost some of the 'realness' of flat screen GT7, but it's possible more exposure to VR, weather effects etc. will change that perception.

For me, VR gives an enormous sense of being 'there' and inside a car, and for me gives far more feedback about how the car is moving about and as such being able to play GT7 with a quality VR headset is a dream come true. A track like Bathurst I feel it's much easier to place the car tight up against the walls for example, and to feel how the elevation changes influence the body movement.

I'd like to be able to turn the driver off as an option, I don't feel it adds to the immersion to be honest and have historically had it off when using VR. Especially as it's only animated to small amounts of lock and the shift animation is awkwardly delayed.

Absolutely no motion sickness feeling but that was to be expected. From previous experience I'd suggest if you are susceptible or still getting used to it, avoid looking to the sides too much initially, avoid lots of elevation changes, if you spin or are going backwards etc., maybe just close your eyes until it stops, and also reversing and stopping used to still give me a slightly odd sensation for weeks and weeks even after being otherwise totally used to it.

@Papiculo64 Sorry for the tagging, but is it possible to adjust the seating position to make it closer and higher? I've seen some footage of the maclaren and the 911 where again the hands are blocking the view.

Thanks

I can answer this. And the answer is yes, well sort of.

The problem with GT is the pre race into in offline races. Where you get that countdown and the camera pans around the car.
This view needs to go imo, never liked it anyway. We need a view where you’re sat in the car before the race starts.

The problem now is that immediately after that camera pan the race or time trial or whatever starts. So if your position is screwed up you either pause the game and adjust or do it whilst driving which is obviously not ideal.

To adjust your view you need to recalibrate the headset which is done by holding down the option button. This re-centres your view at any time whilst wearing the headset. In or out of GT.
So if you’re too far forward you need to lean forward whilst recalibrating or if you’re too low down you need to sit lower whilst recalibrating.
Once done your view should be so that your head is right where the avatar head is. If you look down you can see your avatar’s chest right where yours would be.

Sounds weird I know but it does allow you to get the perfect driving position.

Last edited:
I felt like I had small hands in game. It's hard to describe, but it felt like the scale of the world was slightly off, slightly small. I haven't felt this previously in Assetto Corsa with the Oculus, it certainly wasn't distracting or anything, but was just something I noticed.
Friend of mine said the same thing - I didn´t notice anything. Will ask him if he found a solution.

Thanks
Seating position can be tweaked using the reset view method mentioned above, I haven't looked for any settings in game, but historically have just used the reset view anyway as it gives really fine control.

HUD options from what I saw are the same, so race only, car only (which is new) all or none. The info is positioned differently in VR and is actually very unintrusive in use. I much prefer no HUD, but this is really very useable in VR so will likely leave it on more often, especially in races.

I've always used cockpit view since getting a wheel.

In terms of viewing angle, in VR you're actually sat in the car, so viewing angle is nothing like cockpit view on a flat screen. As a reference, I sit probably about 180cm from a 55" screen and have used cockpit view quite a lot. It's actually pretty immersive at that size as you still get a decent amount of screen real-estate as the windscreen.

In VR, the windscreen is, well, windscreen sized, so your viewing area is incomparably vast. You'll understand it when you see it :)

Don't know what's up with me or my headset but it is just so grainy, moreso when it's dark obviously but it not looking much better than my psvr1 :( , probably don't help my left eye is veering too the left than straight on but just don't expect it this bad, need too find what i'm doing wrong, if nothing then I'm sending mine back :( .

Try adjust the IPD, it affects the virtual world scale you feel.

Latest Posts

Back