GT7 & PSVR2

• Thread starter gtrotary
  • 5,854 comments
... think a lot of people are in the honeymoon stage just now with the shiny new thing they just paid £550 for and it's only a matter of time before the bubble burts. Hopefully the game sees some performance updates .
I agree with most of what you said save this.

I actually believe it's the opposite. None of us who've had the headset since launch are in any semblance of a "honeymoon stage". Seems to me we've all been quite realistic on our experiences.

It's not like we all think it's crystal clear and then we're, after a few weeks, all of a sudden going to notice that it's blurry. Lol

Last edited:
Looks like they're pretty impressed by it

FplMFjtX0AM1wbc

Anyone know what car that is? I want to check out the interior in VR.

About the HUD. so far, in my Supra GT4 and the R31, the MFD/tyre wear/surface conditions are in the middle of the dash. The display is covering the Supra’s infotainment screen. Brilliant.
I’m not seeing a problem with the timing just above my eyes. It makes it much quicker to view and pretty much out of the way of my field of vision. The MFD should have that option in normal cockpit mode.

Put another 200 miles or so today on the headset. Stand outs were the 10 lap 700pp race at Laguna Seca with the Group 4 Corvette Race Car, and the Group 3 race at Daytona.

Only complaint so far is lack of mph instead of kph on the cars speedometers. Surely this will be getting a fix soon though.

Last edited:
Put another 200 miles or so today on the headset. Stand outs were the 10 lap 700pp race at Laguna Seca with the Group 4 Corvette Race Car, and the Group 3 race at Daytona.

Only complaint so far is lack of mph instead of kph on the cars speedometers. Surely this will be getting a fix soon though.
200 miles ⁉️ I'm jealous

What car did you use at Daytona? I've never found success with any car other than the Jag, and I don't like the Jag

Last edited:
200 miles ⁉️ I'm jealous

What car did you use at Daytona? I've never found success with any car other than the Jag, and I don't like the Jag
I used the Group 3 Corvette for that race. Medium tires and conserved fuel by shifting early (when green changes to yellow), pitting at the end of the 5th lap.

I just ran a TT session with the VW ID. R and it’s the first time I’m really exhausted after driving in VR. You’re on the edge all the time. It’s a shame the headset came out right after the TT on Kyoto…

I then switched to the Nissan LMP1 and it’s still hard to see where you’re going with the steering wheel right in your face while taking medium to low speed turns but it’s much better than the flat cockpit view. You can’t go back to 2D after VR 😅

Last edited:
Interesting to read all of your comments.

I would add the following.

Ever since playing in VR, I clean race all the time, contact with other cars are rare, it helps keeping the car you drive in control.
Playing online is very much more intense as you are more aware of your surrounding.
I had been stuck with the Moby Dick Cone Challenge with the miata, could not get better than 29 seconds, after 2 tries in VR got it 11 seconds.

Last year, I bought an used oculus rift for project cars 2, sold it back 3 weeks ago, only used a couple of time because of the cumbersome pc setup. Fast load time of ps5 and easy psvr2 integration makes it very easy to pickup and play.

I never could play with the oculus for more then 30 min without feeling weird and sweaty.
Having none of that on the psvr2, my play sessions are about 1h, once or twice a day.

As many reported, the youtube review and video were a bit misleading with the rendering quality.
It is still pretty good and provide immersion that no 4k flatscreen can match.

As many reported, the youtube review and video were a bit misleading with the rendering quality.
I think wut happened is the edition they showed the reviewers ran on a maximized version of GT7 to really Highlight the fidelity of the PSVR2 so its not entirely impossible we will see graphical improvements in the upcoming patches.... also the PSVR2 really has amazing fidelity for a VR headset that really shows in other games like kayak and such
:)

Last edited:
I think I understand what you're talking about, and I'm pretty sure this happens in VR. I'll try to double check today, any examples for cars where the effect is strongest?

I've also noticed that the drivers legs actually jiggle based on the bumps in the road and terrain. There's a lot of attention to detail from PD.
I noticed it easily on the Porsche Carrera RS from 1995. The CLUBSPORT edition. It has a cut down interior with lots of weight saving, so the seats are simple skinny racing seats. They shake a lot on 2D mode

used the Group 3 Corvette for that race. Medium tires and conserved fuel by shifting early (when green changes to yellow), pitting at the end of the 5th lap.
Thanks. Can't wait to be fresh tomorrow to use the Vette.
then switched to the Nissan LMP1 and it’s still hard to see where you’re going with the steering wheel right in your face
Yeah, visibility in my Porsche Hybrid in the GR1 race at Road Atlanta was brutal. I'm thinking that's the case in real life as well. I watch the Rolex 24 and they always reference the lack of visibility

The VR Showroom. Amuse S2000, all the new and classic Ferraris in the LCD, DB5, SF19, Fiat 500F, Z8, the hood bulge of the C7 ZR1, Gr.1 Alpine, the Slophy, both Paganis(the Huayara “jewellery” is sick and the tachometer in the steering wheel of the Zonda :eek:), KTM(the key ring on the key fob), RX-Vision concept car(didn’t realise the rear mirror sits in the headliner), and so many more!
Totally different game and more appreciation for each car, once I got behind the wheel.

I’m agreeing about Laguna Seca. Doing the WTC700 race and tasking a break. The Corkscrew is super dramatic. I’m rock solod since pacing myself with the headset. However, yes, my eyes went wide through the turns. Holy smokes! The run from entry to the penultimate corner. Simply awesome.
I’m not sure when the hype subside because, the game ain’t even complete. I guess Kaz wasn’t lying about being patient. This has to be in the running for one of the best Gran Turismos.

Hey everyone. Another tip I just discovered.
I just improved my image. Most notably in the menus which are now crystal clear. And also noticeable when looking at the dashboard whilst on track.

If you’re like me, and I suspect a lot of people did this when you first went into the headset, I reduced the screen size.
Coming from a monitor to a massive screen floating in front of me was a bit too much of a change at first to be comfortable.

This morning I realised this created a problem when I set my unit up.
We all know about Foveated rendering and how the PSVR2 tracks our eyes and like everyone else I did the eye tracking. But this morning I realised I did it on a smaller screen. Where it gets you to follow the dot around.

So here’s what I did today.

First I turned on the headset. The very first screen where it’s in pass through mode with the text box saying make sure you’re holding your controller is where I took my time to find the sweet spot. I set the position of my headset so that the text was as clear as could be then I went into the menu.

Once In double tap the PS button to go to the quick VR settings menu. And set the screen size to the max.

Then redo the eye tracking where now you’ll follow the dot to the edges of the very big screen. It’s important to make sure you track the dot with your eyes and keep your head perfectly still.

Voila, Crystal clear menus in GT.

Hope this helps.

Interesting to read all of your comments.

I would add the following.

Ever since playing in VR, I clean race all the time, contact with other cars are rare, it helps keeping the car you drive in control.
Playing online is very much more intense as you are more aware of your surrounding.
I had been stuck with the Moby Dick Cone Challenge with the miata, could not get better than 29 seconds, after 2 tries in VR got it 11 seconds.

Last year, I bought an used oculus rift for project cars 2, sold it back 3 weeks ago, only used a couple of time because of the cumbersome pc setup. Fast load time of ps5 and easy psvr2 integration makes it very easy to pickup and play.

I never could play with the oculus for more then 30 min without feeling weird and sweaty.
Having none of that on the psvr2, my play sessions are about 1h, once or twice a day.

You can adjust your seating & height position by for a race, for example if the driver position is too low sit up higher in your chair then press option on your controller to recenter the screen, this will get reset if you go into the pits back to the default position. This is a temporary fix, hopefully will give us a option in the future.

See video:

Another huge factor with VR that I’m finding really cool is the sense of speed! After an hour session in VR I played on the flat screen to grind up some money and I just turned it off, the game felt so damn slow!!!!

Another huge factor with VR that I’m finding really cool is the sense of speed! After an hour session in VR I played on the flat screen to grind up some money and I just turned it off, the game felt so damn slow!!!!
Really?? My feelings are the exact opposite I have zero sense of speed when driving in VR feels like I could be cruising in a golfkart I get more a sense of speed when doing it on the tv however nowhere near how it feels in real life :embarrassed:

Lots of mystical thinking here:

The 120 Hz setting has zero impact on in-game VR.

The screen output being on or off has zero impact in VR.

The screen is the literal output of one VR eye (left apparently). The main reason things look better or worse in headset versus on TV is the usual reason different TVs look better/worse with the same content. A tiny 2k OLED cannot come close to matching the contrast and sharpness of a 70 inch screen (most of which cost multiples of a PSVR2 headset).

Kayak Mirage does look great, but still distant objects are as indistinct as GT7. What they’ve done well are the textures and lighting (but actually way more LOD going on in Kayak VR than GT7, even with the low speeds).

Overall this is a great bit of VR hardware- it was never going to be miraculously better than similar gen VR (it is in most cases equal or better). GT7 has done a great job given the hardware constraints, and I’m a happy camper.

Anyone know what car that is? I want to check out the interior in VR.

It's the Corolla Levin! Very futuristic dashboard for its time!

I am so happy for you all ………..But my head still feels dizzy and can’t play more than a lap…I am the only….?

Maybe that trying to get your VR legs on a game more motion sickness friendly like Moss could be a good idea 👍

whenever I use the PSVR2 the sound goes flat to stereo no matter if I use my pulse headphones or my sony surround system and if I use my surround system the receiver informs me that the signal changed to pcm stereo.... :(

It changes to stereo on your surround system, but not on the PSVR2, the Tempest 3D audio has been marketed from the start and you cam see the slider on the right in headphones 3D audio menu. Try it with Call of the mountain or Runner, it works damn good ^^ But GT7 definitively has an issue with it, maybe it's just a new bug, like in every update, worked well on flat! 😅

also the PSVR2 really has amazing fidelity for a VR headset that really shows in other games like kayak and such
:)
Horizon and Resident Evil are damn impressive as well! I played RE for 1 hour today, and when this giant jumps from the roof right in front of you, damn! That was so impressive! Also you really feel in the fights by moments, really thrilling! Never played in on flat screen because I wanted to save this experience for VR, and I did damn good! Needs some good VR legs thought!

I have lots of experience in PCVR, but GT7 and PS VR2 have caused me to delete ACC, WRCG and DakarDR.
Exactly my sentiments now, too. This has ruined every other racing game I own, including F1 and ACC—and I love those games.

Same for me, been waiting for ages for this VR update so that I could finally put my PSVR1 and GT sport to retirement. Don't even consider playing GT7 or any other racing game on flat screen. To me it's as important as my wheel setup!

Played a few hours last night 1v1 racing a friend who helped me get into sim racing last night, first I've played of netplay in VR, super great experience.

We plan to make some VR online lobby races with other gtplanet users next weekend, if you want to join us! 👍

Last edited:
Lots of mystical thinking here:

The 120 Hz setting has zero impact on in-game VR.

The screen output being on or off has zero impact in VR.

The screen is the literal output of one VR eye (left apparently). The main reason things look better or worse in headset versus on TV is the usual reason different TVs look better/worse with the same content. A tiny 2k OLED cannot come close to matching the contrast and sharpness of a 70 inch screen (most of which cost multiples of a PSVR2 headset).

Kayak Mirage does look great, but still distant objects are as indistinct as GT7. What they’ve done well are the textures and lighting (but actually way more LOD going on in Kayak VR than GT7, even with the low speeds).

Overall this is a great bit of VR hardware- it was never going to be miraculously better than similar gen VR (it is in most cases equal or better). GT7 has done a great job given the hardware constraints, and I’m a happy camper.

Two points in that:

1. WE ARE SOOOO CLOSE to tv fidelity…but still not. Next headset….7 years, I will be 57, if still alive :)
2. Off topic but: are we completely sure all this is not affecting our sight and perception and immediate REAL driving safety ?

Last edited:
Two points in that:

1. WE ARE SOOOO CLOSE to tv fidelity…but still not. Next headset….7 years, I will be 57, if still alive :)
2. Off topic but: are we completely sure all this is not affecting our sight and perception and immediate REAL driving safety ?
Agree- probably need to be in 8k VR for the sharpness to really be where people want it. 8K on TV with 40 deg FoV is wasted resolution, but 8k VR at 120 deg will be a noticeable step up.

At first you feel kinda fuzzy and have some weird sensations after a VR session, but you'll get used to it. Many racing sim players have been using VR for something like 10 years now, I think it would be a topic if so 😁

Maybe nobody complained because after going to the mall by car we couldn’t hear any news from them anymore
(Joking of course)
Hope to be ready soon for your VR lobby !

Two points in that:

The trouble is that in 7 years time we will probably be playing on 8k/16k/128k tvs with full ray tracing and goodness knows what else on our 292 inch tvs. Everyone will slip on the next generation of VR and say its good.... but how come I can't see the wheel nuts of the cars driving on the otherside of spa like I can on my tv :lol:

Back