GTP IndyCar S2 | Champions - TomMcD & Team Penske! | Awards Announced!

• Thread starter Tom.
  • 2,234 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tom, what are the pit entry rules for Motegi. How, where, what speed? :)

I think Joe suggested that you have to enter on the backstretch because going in at our speeds, at that angle on the front stretch, may be an issue. Rejoin on the back stretch. I'll enforce the 60mph speed limit here.

TomMcD
Woops. Yeah, since this was decided the other week I didn't get round to updating the OP but it's 650bhp, 710kg and unrestricted transmission.

Comfort Hards?

Any suggestions on caution speed? I think 70mph for both parts of the new caution procedure should work here.

Any suggestions on caution speed? I think 70mph for both parts of the new caution procedure should work here.

We tried 120mph in testing and the gap from the leader to the first car that pitted (taking minimal fuel) was 8 to 9 seconds at the line, with another 1 to 1/2 seconds gained before turn 3. We may need to go a little bit faster than 120mph here.

DrifterJoe
We tried 120mph in testing and the gap from the leader to the first car that pitted (taking minimal fuel) was 8 seconds at the line. We may need to go a bit faster than 120mph here.

Wow, really? I'd have thought due to the shortness of the track slower speeds would be needed.

I really don't think we should have that rule for ovals.

Since if you fall back on an oval it's much harder to gain position than on a circuit. If you're the only one who pits, you're done for.

Cowboys965
I really don't think we should have that rule for ovals.

Since if you fall back on an oval it's much harder to gain position than on a circuit. If you're the only one who pits, you're done for.

I suppose that's something to consider in the off season, it would make more sense to revert to our old procedure just for this final race, you're right.

Oh, crap. Tomorrow it is then, no motivation to test now mate. I'll be on really early so we can get a lot done.

If Matty gets maximum points tonight (inc pole and most led) and I finish third, we will finish on same points.

We would also have two wins each so I presume Matty would finish third based on his second place finishes?

Just figuring out what needs to be achieved.

Tie breakers are as you described, most wins, most 2nd places, most 3rd places etc.

If Joe locks out the win & bonus points he wins the title, but if somebody else can nab some of the bonus points, I just have to come home 2nd to win the championship. Unless he wins, it's going to be tricky because there's a reasonable points gap.

EDIT: We're reverting to the new cautions tonight after consulting with Joe and deciding that it will work just fine. Speed may be between 120-130mph.

Last edited:
I really don't think they suit oval racing. If you lose time on an oval it's a lot harder to make up then on a Road/Street course.

I really don't think they suit oval racing. If you lose time on an oval it's a lot harder to make up then on a Road/Street course.

My point is, people have to make stops anyway which shuffles the people who stay out back towards the pitted cars and any cautions mean the field in bunched back up anyway. I think this is the right approach.

TomMcD
My point is, people have to make stops anyway which shuffles the people who stay out back towards the pitted cars and any cautions mean the field in bunched back up anyway. I think this is the right approach.

It doesn't make sense to me.

Well it's exactly the same concept as the road courses, it offers a slight penalty for pitting and a slight advantage to people pitting if the caution comes out on their strategy 'in laps' so it adds unpredictability. Also, it breaks up the horrific pack racing we always have at ovals cos' there's multiple groups.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish with these new pit rules?

I'm slightly lost.

MÜLE_9242;7370674
What exactly are you trying to accomplish with these new pit rules?

I'm slightly lost.

Basically, the way it is now, people can pit under caution and simply rejoin the back of the pack for the restart which isn't so bad at the road courses but at the ovals, you can take on 4 tyres and a full tank of fuel and just draft back through to the lead easily; the strong draft in GT5 means track position isn't important so there's no incentive to stay out so everybody pits at every single caution just because they can, which removes the strategic element of racing from the series.

This way, people can still realistically win on a good strategy and people are rewarded for staying out of trouble on track.

TomMcD
Basically, the way it is now, people can pit under caution and simply rejoin the back of the pack for the restart which isn't so bad at the road courses but at the ovals, you can take on 4 tyres and a full tank of fuel and just draft back through to the lead easily; the strong draft in GT5 means track position isn't important so there's no incentive to stay out so everybody pits at every single caution just because they can, which removes the strategic element of racing from the series.

This way, people can still realistically win on a good strategy and people are rewarded for staying out of trouble on track.

I like it. 👍
The odds are looking good for me to make it today as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back