GTP Member's cars directory. What do you drive?

• Thread starter Avenger803
  • 4,035 comments

Do you like your car?

• My car is the best, much better than anyone else's!

Votes: 476 34.8%
  • Yep, it always starts, doesn't cost much, and I like it.

Votes: 564 41.3%
  • Well, it's kinda rusting, driving is kinda scary at times,doesn't look too good.

Votes: 68 5.0%
  • It's in the junkyard, or will be soon.

Votes: 13 1.0%
  • Car? what car?

Votes: 245 17.9%

• Total voters
My Renault Clio 197

picture.php

Don't ask.

Last edited:
I drive a 1996 Toyota Avalon.

The car is a soldier.

Basic Specs:
It's a Luxury Sedan
FF Patform
The Engine is a 1MZ-FE 3.0 V6 (24 Valves)
Automatic (Toyota tried their hardest to make gear shifting as smooth as possible, without VVTI)
Changing spark plugs on this car is a nightmare.
It has a sunroof (:D)
LED Spoiler with the LED lights dying (don't ask me why)
Optional Foglights, driver side bulb is blown
It's colored black
The headgasket is "seeping"

25112009032.jpg

This is how I recieved the car, I did not add anything to it. The only thing I've added was a K&N Air Filter and synthetic oil (Mobil 1).

I love this car to death.

I last posted my parent's car here wayyy back in 2006 when I was 12 years old.

I now have my own car, a 1991 Honda Accord. Quite a nice little car but the turning circle is like an SUV!

Like the post above, the car I mentioned back in 2006, met a Nissan Navara at a crossroad. :(

Holy crap Thiele, last time I checked your profile you were 15! I am turning 16 in a few weeks so thats L plates for me, at last :P.

Starting off in a 2001 Auto Commodore, the to my mums Manual Toyota Starlet and then off to my own car which is to be purchased :).

I've probably gotta get my learners soon anyway. If I don't get it until August, I've gotta wait till I'm 16 (which I'll probably do). When I get it, I'll be practising in a BA Falcon XR6 or a JDM Toyota Estima (Previa).

Well I'm too excited not to post the long-distance purchase I made yesterday.. a '93 in excellent shape with extensive mechanical work, mods & yearly maintenance from Rotary Performance/rx7.com of Texas. Outside of the 5" tipped catback, (soon to be swapped for this), it looks bone stock, though is far from it. Hopefully she'll be loaded up & shipped soon!! :ill: :drool:

RX-7.jpg

I think I'd stick with the 5" tip instead, the other one looks really bland/ugly and too small for decent power from the turbo.

I think I'd stick with the 5" tip instead, the other one looks really bland/ugly and too small for decent power from the turbo.

Either you don't realize how big the outlets are on the Racing Beat system, (understandable, as I didn't originally), or follow the typical coffee-can ricer logic. Both systems are 3" from the cat back & flow equally as well, (including above stock boost levels). One simply doesn't scream F&F - you don't need a massive tip, just proper design. 👍 Also, I don't plan to destroy such a gorgeous car with a wild bodykit or a big dumb wing, (nor want anymore ricer attention than I expect I'd get, even with a stock exhaust), so feel subtle is the way to go. Hopefully I can sell the system she's got now. I'm curious.. is your car pictured in this thread somewhere?

Either you don't realize how big the outlets are on the Racing Beat system, (understandable, as I didn't originally), or follow the typical coffee-can ricer logic. Both systems are 3" from the cat back & flow equally as well, (including above stock boost levels). One simply doesn't scream F&F - you don't need a massive tip, just proper design. 👍 Also, I don't plan to destroy such a gorgeous car with a wild bodykit or a big dumb wing, (nor want anymore ricer attention than I expect I'd get, even with a stock exhaust), so feel subtle is the way to go. Hopefully I can sell the system she's got now. I'm curious.. is your car pictured in this thread somewhere?

I'm just basing my opinion on how small the outlets in the picture look in comparison to the car, and figured the larger outlet would flow better for the turbo. I just saw the smaller tips and thought it looked rather restrictive for a turbo with mods on top.

I don't think I've ever posted a picture of my car in here before, so while we're on the topic of exhausts, heres mine...

Exhaust mods:
-Stillen ceramic coated headers
-Kinetix high flow cats
-Stillen gen II SS dual exhaust

And a pic of my car parked out front of my house from Google earth...

Last edited:
I don't think the proposed RX-7 tips look small at all, looks good actually. 5" on the other hand, do you want a frying pan to go with your rice?

5" may be too much, IMO the posted exhaust reminds me of stock exhaust with chrome tips from an auto parts place. A nice mix of the two would be perfect IMO.

I don't think the proposed RX-7 tips look small at all, looks good actually. 5" on the other hand, do you want a frying pan to go with your rice?

Exactly.. the tips on the RB system are 3". Now, they're obviously a little bigger than the actual outlets, but still, there's 2 of them. (and the physical outlets are bigger than the stock, which are even smaller with enlarged tips - so it is a mix of the two. ;)) Most of the cars you see with a coffee can hanging out the back, don't even come close to being able to make use of such a large opening. If this RX had even a 4" tipped setup, I'd be more inclined to leave it alone, but I can't do 5". Yours does look good though SRV2LOW4ME. After your original reply I was afraid we were going to see another car with an afterburner slung underneath. Here's a shot of the RX-7 with the current HKS setup in view:

RX-7PRAngle.jpg

Last edited:
Honestly there's no reason for the piping after the muffler to be any larger than before it. A slightly larger tip makes sense for aesthetics but you'll never see a car in true need of sewer drain pipes for exhaust that's still streetable.

Rice can mufflers like that can never be pulled off on a car that's meant to not look ridiculous. There are a very few particular exhausts that actually look good coming out the back, and the typical Apexi N1-style cans don't make the cut.

The RB exhaust you're planning is probably the best compromise between mature looks and sound, along with real performance, and of course top-notch quality. But you have to pay for it.

I'm planning an RB pre-silencer bolted to a Buddy Club Spec 2 for my FC. The Spec 2 is one of the best looking exhausts on the market, and I like my car to make some noise. The R silencer will probably make it quieter than it is now actually.

Exactly.. the tips on the RB system are 3". Now, they're obviously a little bigger than the actual outlets, but still, there's 2 of them. (and the physical outlets are bigger than the stock, which are even smaller with enlarged tips - so it is a mix of the two. ;)) Most of the cars you see with a coffee can hanging out the back, don't even come close to being able to make use of such a large opening. If this RX had even a 4" tipped setup, I'd be more inclined to leave it alone, but I can't do 5". Yours does look good though SRV2LOW4ME. After your original reply I was afraid we were going to see another car with an afterburner slung underneath. Here's a shot of the RX-7 with the current HKS setup in view:

RX-7PRAngle.jpg

Thats a better angle to show how big it actually is, and yeah, that is a little too extreme. Any better shots of the RB exhaust...something that shows its size in comparison to the car a little better?

And thanks, I think it looks great and the sound is exactly what I wanted. Nice and subtle until I give it gas, and then she roars to life with a throaty growl.

And no, I'm not about the body kits and huge exhausts, far from it, but thanks for the insult. :lol:

Well I'm too excited not to post the long-distance purchase I made yesterday.. a '93 in excellent shape with extensive mechanical work, mods & yearly maintenance from Rotary Performance/rx7.com of Texas. Outside of the 5" tipped catback, (soon to be swapped for this), it looks bone stock, though is far from it. Hopefully she'll be loaded up & shipped soon!! :ill: :drool:

RX-7.jpg

De-wing it and do something like this, only more subtle:
24784510046_large.jpg

Yeeees, that would look nice, especially on a black car

...Any better shots of the RB exhaust...something that shows its size in comparison to the car a little better? ...And no, I'm not about the body kits and huge exhausts, far from it, but thanks for the insult. :lol:

I dug through my pictures & honestly, the one I linked from RB's site does the job pretty well. (as does motortrend's) The better thing to do might be look @ a stock exhaust & note that it's tips are larger than the actual outlets to begin with. As for the insult, you provided the materials to paint that picture. ;) I'm glad it's not the case though, haha.

And yes motortrend, those exact rims are being considered. :)👍 Oh, and I've always been undecided whether I like FD's better with or without the stock wing. If it were silver I'd de-wing it for sure.. after the uber-rare yellow, (thanks to the original Need For Speed), silverstone metallic's always been my favorite color. IMO, it makes the car look like liquid aluminum!

Also, juust got off the phone with the shipping company.. should be here sometime next week!!!! :D

Last edited:
I like the flow of the car without the wing, and the bootlid already goes up at the center, so that looks good and makes it interesting enough IMO. Whatever you decide, make sure to post pics when you finally mod it

I like the flow of the car without the wing, and the bootlid already goes up at the center, so that looks good and makes it interesting enough IMO. Whatever you decide, make sure to post pics when you finally mod it

Will do. I'm gonna be fairly strapped for a little bit while I both recover from the initial purchase/shipping, plus getting rid of the current exhaust & making it legal to drive, haha. All the important mechanical stuff's already taken care of though, so I should be in good shape. :) (plus insurance is a couple bucks cheaper than the Miata, lmao!)

Man.. I SOO wish the exit on the current HKS catback was less ricer-esq, cause it sounds niiice! Not at all annoying in the car, ever & fairly civilized around town, but sounds great under load. No longer on the "1st to go list", tho likely still will @ some point.

The exhaust is fine, it's just that the rest of the car is completely stock looking, so it looks like every other 4 door Civic with a fart can hanging off the back. When the car has more done to it, overall it can still look nice..

The exhaust is fine, it's just that the rest of the car is completely stock looking...

Well, that's true.. the total stock look otherwise does cause the exhaust to draw more of your eyes attention. I happen to agree with Keef though. (8 posts up) To modify the look of a car enough that a tip thaat large doesn't appear silly looking, the car itself usually has to be over-done. Nothing streetable could use a 5" exit & I'm not trying to look like I'm driving around in a JGTC car. (the general appearance most ricers seem to poorly attempt) At least that's not the case/I've got the power most think warrants a coffee can I guess. :P

The actual tip is roughly 1" larger than the initial exit, so my exhaust shop buddy & I miight wind up attempting to weld something a tad smaller in place, though not sure. I could theoretically sell the HKS & recoup some of the hit of a RB, but would likely kill alot of its' resale value in the process, (unless we managed to make it look like it came that way).

Here's a pic in front of my house yesterday, since I didn't technically have it before. :) (nevermind the dirt, it came 1000 miles) First on the visual list.. polish the front signals back to new & probably get RB's front lip, if not one of the two stock pieces, (no, I'm not getting a '99 spec bumper cover like everybody & their brother!), plus a set of factory front "mudguards". Contemplating a set of halo front fogs @ some point as well. (among other small changes, inside & out) Oh yeah, nevermind the bag of trash on my front step that the trash guys so kindly didn't pick up Monday! 👎

RX-71.jpg

I happen to agree with Keef though. (8 posts up) To modify the look of a car enough that a tip thaat large doesn't appear silly looking, the car itself usually has to be over-done.
I guess that opinion is relative. I think "overdone" is almost impossible if well executed, although very easy if poorly done. I don't mind street driven race cars.

I guess that opinion is relative...

Hmm, so lets say I put a RE Amiya bodykit on the FD & kept my 5" tipped HKS, to mimic one of the real race cars. I'm not pushing near enough ponies to need a 5" exit to my exhaust, but want to look like I do/the real car. You're down with that?

Last edited:
Hmm, so lets say I put a RE Amiya bodykit on the FD & kept my 5" tipped HKS, to mimic one of the real race cars. I'm not pushing near enough ponies to need a 5" exit to my exhaust, but want to look like I do/the real car. You're down with that?
Hardly anyone is pushing enough ponies to need a 5" tip, but as a whole package, it looks fine. Lots of race cars and whatnot have been running those kind of exhausts for years, and as a result the look has become pretty typical, and doesn't really look that strange.

This is what a 2.5 inch straight pipe looks like on a 240sx. It looks small, but that's what you should run if you're doing it in regards to how much power the car is making.

5193586709_9db08d3139_z.jpg

The factory exhaust has 2 2.75" tips, so an exhaust with dual 3 inch tips still looks almost oem as far as size goes, but is way too much when considering the power and size of the engine. Basically my point is that exhausts, even factory ones, are very rarely the size of the piping, and almost always bigger.

4-FD-Rear.jpg

That is a decent example of what I mean by it not looking too large if the car has also been somewhat modified, although the length of the tip, making it stick out is a bit much.

EDIT: Keep in mind, I'm not saying the 5 inch tip looks awesome, I'm just saying it's not worth getting rid of just because of that, especially if you are planning on doing anything else to the car in the future.

Last edited:
Hardly anyone is pushing enough ponies to need a 5" tip...

Lots of race cars and whatnot have been running those kind of exhausts for years, and as a result the look has become pretty typical, and doesn't really look that strange...

Oh, I know.. the slightly larger tip for aesthetic reasons was covered by Rotary Junkie, directly before the post I mentioned by Keef, of which I agreed to. That's what both Mazda & RB did with their dual outlet mufflers.. made each tip slightly larger. I also agree that bodywork can warrant something a little bigger. Even with the kit on the pictured FD though.. like ya said, the size just doesn't look right. (there's nothing slight about it, lol) To the owner's possible credit, we don't know his plans for the car. There's also the lack of quality FD exhausts, especially ones that don't need imported/cost a small fortune. That said, any of the 4" tipped ones likely would've looked great. (providing they were hung/fit better than whatever's on it)

As far as race cars making them look pretty typical.. no, what's made them common place are the ricers that wanted/brought them to the public, (since money talks). Also, I want my exhaust to look, "awesome", IE perfectly match the car & will eventually do what's needed to make it happen. That's what makes a car really look good.. getting everything to flow, rather than say ahh, that's pretty close & moving onto the next thing. I also happen to feel that by the time you make just about anything look JGTC worthy, (IE - aesthetically fitting of a 5" tip), you've pretty well made it unstreetable, not to mention clad it in a boatload of weight that won't really be put to use. (unless lucky enough to have autobahn type roads around)

SHORT ANSWER - me no likey rice with ma karz! :P

EDIT - not that it matters, but I've got a GReddy catback. HKS is the rest of the exhaust.. car literally came with 10y worth of receipts. 👍 anybody in the market? haha, jk. I'm sure that's not legal here.

Last edited:
you've pretty well made it unstreetable
Like I said, that's relative. I like the idea of a street driven race car.

In any case, I don't think a legit HKS exhaust is in any way rice, but that's just me, apparently. I think overall, it looks ricey because the rest of the car is stock, but it's not the exhausts fault. Like putting a big, functional wing on a stock car.

Like I said, that's relative. I like the idea of a street driven race car..

What carguy doesn't like idea of a street driven race car? I wasn't only referring to power when I said unstreetable though. If it actually looked like a race car/fitting of said coffee can, it'd also be sprung like a brick & low enough that it'd likely have issues maneuvering parking lots, imperfect roads & whatnot. So you've got a car that's miserable to ride in plus weighs more due to the nearly useless bodywork you get to wreck whenever ya accidentally hit a piece of gravel. (and the list goes on) Also, I don't think legit exhausts are rice either, as they've actually been designed mostly for performance.. but things aren't always what they appear. :P (again, thankfully so in my case!)

Back