GTP Member's cars directory. What do you drive?

• Thread starter Avenger803
  • 4,035 comments

Do you like your car?

• My car is the best, much better than anyone else's!

Votes: 476 34.8%
  • Yep, it always starts, doesn't cost much, and I like it.

Votes: 564 41.3%
  • Well, it's kinda rusting, driving is kinda scary at times,doesn't look too good.

Votes: 68 5.0%
  • It's in the junkyard, or will be soon.

Votes: 13 1.0%
  • Car? what car?

Votes: 245 17.9%

• Total voters
& What do you drive, since it's clear you do not own a Lambo?

Look at my sig.

Why would I want a 2.2 when I have a 3.0 litre V6 VVTi from the way more powerful solara?

Thank you for not getting the joke.

& My car is not based off the Camry, it's based on the Toyota Windom, a completely different line of car.

Really? Because I distinctly remember the Windom simply being the name for the Lexus ES300 in Japan. And the Windom/ES300 has been based on the Toyota Camry's platform (and succeeding iterations of it) since the second generation which I believe is the version that you have, am I right?

& My car is not based off the Camry, it's based on the Toyota Windom, a completely different line of car.

I laughed.

It isn't just based off the Camry, it is the Camry with a different body.

Now, I may as well just go a step further and laugh at you having called it a Windom. The ES300/Windom is the same car, yes, but it was designed as a Lexus first and foremost... No, actually, it was designed as a Camry first and foremost, then it got different body work, interior, and suspension tuning to make it into a Lexus.

Last edited:
:lol: at you expecting to spend double to triple that car's value modifying it.

Most Miata owners put less than $5,000 into their cars for Auto-X, because it's so cheap to do so. It's just even more hilarious at the figures you quoted because $20,000 can buy you a turbo-charged, track-ready Miata putting out 225whp that will easily run next to cars $80,000 & up.

I want to run it as a "showpiece" when I open a garage. I plan on doing everything...

-Drifting
-Time attack
-AutoX
-Car shows

Therefore, it can't be as discipline specific as a Miata. The Miata excels at Auto-X as stock; that's not a business card. That doesn't shout "I hope you visit my shop."

I want to run it as a "showpiece" when I open a garage. I plan on doing everything...

-Drifting
-Time attack
-AutoX
-Car shows

Therefore, it can't be as discipline specific as a Miata. The Miata excels at Auto-X as stock; that's not a business card. That doesn't shout "I hope you visit my shop."
A Miata is capable of doing all that.

But, regardless, most shop cars aren't built to do everything anyway.

But, regardless, most shop cars aren't built to do everything anyway.

Indeed. In fact, most shops don't do everything.

The idea of a shop car is to show what your shop does best, at its best.

A 200 hp Miata won't Time-attack at Mosport like a 500 hp Lexus.

And a 500hp Lexus won't AutoX like a 200hp Miata.

A 500hp Miata on 275s or wider on the other hand... (or more. LS is an LS is an LS, so...)

Now, I'm not trying to say these plans are "wrong" or "bad" but a car doesn't get left at a mechanic's for no reason, nor is a mechanic willing to sell it for $900 for no reason. If you do buy it, plan on putting a few grand into it just to get it into a state that'll render it reliable.

Then, the idea of opening a shop, fine. But are you going to be making your own parts? Combining others' to make something "more" from them? Before you say you'll make your own parts, there is a lot to consider. The saying "How do you make a small fortune in racing? Start with a large one." applies to a lot more than just racing.

Why would I want a 2.2 when I have a 3.0 litre V6 VVTi from the way more powerful solara?

The 2.2 is a running joke on GTP.

Not that the V6 you have is anything special by any measure, seeing how it makes under 200 HP and is paired with a horrible automatic. Which, if I recall correctly, results in a mid to low 16 second quarter mile.

My old MR-S with 140 HP was a second faster in that regard. And my BMW with a 3 liter I-6 would embarrass you at a light, despite it being nearly 20 years old.

My car is not based off the Camry, it's based on the Toyota Windom, a completely different line of car.

Which, as others have pointed out, is just the ES300 name for Japan. The ES300 was developed alongside the Camry and both share the XV20 code.

Wikipedia on the matter
The Lexus ES 300 was again built from the Windom, which uses the Camry chassis.

As for the RX-8, the chassis is amazing. The engine I feel leaves a lot to be desired, given how bad it is on fuel and the poor development of torque and power. Which is only worsened by the unusually tall gearing in those cars.

Guys, auto arguments in their respective threads. This is the "what do you drive thread". Second time in seven days...

I'm currently not aware I would be racing in a automatic FWD Lexus, I'm sorry you people on GTP must street race everything.
Do we? Please take it to the PMs or go back on-topic.
---------------------------------------------------
IMG_1522-1.jpg

GDII
Here are two of my favorite recent shots.

Those pictures are beautiful dude. Are you going to get the kouki tailights or no?

Sometimes I wish I got the Mr2(sw20) instead of the 240sx :/.

Those pictures are beautiful dude. Are you going to get the kouki tailights or no?

Sometimes I wish I got the Mr2(sw20) instead of the 240sx :/.

Thanks JrDarknes

I do like the kouki rear lights (never seen them called that before) but I prefer the current lights and honey comb style centre panel. I think it works better with the black trim around the car. The later model MR2s with the new lights had colour matched trim and rear centre panel.

I like the 240sx. Your one looks great in black. In NZ it is either 180sx or 200sx. I don't think we got the 2.4 ltr engine. It's on my list of cars I want to own.

I too prefer your style lights/center panel. When I picked up the RX-7, there was a pristine MR-2 for sale & it was kinda a hard decision. Oh yea.. nice rims. ;)

I love that color.

Thanks! It's sort of a love or hate color. The first time I saw the car to be honest I hated it but with time and seeing it in different lighting I would not have it any other way
GDII I also like thise tails more than the other ones, they look more classic and timeless

Nice guys. I'm still considering an MR-2 sometime in my future. Hopefully I can find one as clean, if so. :)

The camera does wonders to the old beat up MR2. It hides all the dodgy bits. :lol:

I too prefer your style lights/center panel. When I picked up the RX-7, there was a pristine MR-2 for sale & it was kinda a hard decision. Oh yea.. nice rims. ;)

RX7 may have been a better choice. The wheels are from a Limited Edition Lightweight Mazda Capella. RG097 is the name. They appear to be almost the same as FC RX7 wheels too.

..RX7 may have been a better choice. The wheels are from a Limited Edition Lightweight Mazda...

RX-7's are awesome but turbo rotaries aren't known for a long lifespan. (though can when well maintained) If the engine ever goes, it probably will too. (at which point I may try on an MR-2 for awhile!) It's a low mileage rebuild from a top tuner though, and already had the costly upgrades that increase reliability over factory. Fingers crossed! Also, I saw in your thread you had Mazda wheels.. low rotational mass = win! 👍 I'm torn on the RX's wheels, as I like stock for both the nostalgia & light weight, plus they don't look bad IMO. I'd have probably felt similar about your originals. (on an MR-2)

Desert sage Met. (6U3) indeed

I hear ya.. as a US Special Edition, my MX-3 only came in "Raspberry Metallic", (which is sorta between pink & purple :P). When the time came it was that with black leather & a power sunroof, or my favorite MX-3 color, (Laguna Blue), cloth & no sunroof. I'm too attached to the open feeling to buy a vehicle whose roof doesn't do the same in some manner. In time I wound up loving the color/wouldn't change it. Oh, and it was a one-owner car before me. It's kinda halfway between my other two cars colors as well, haha. :)

Last edited:
I needed another set of wheels for my rally tyres and they looked good. The stock 15s are very heavy and slow the car down. Probably has something to do with the 185/65/R15 gravel tyres too. Very big rolling diameter. I have the stock 14s too. Just need the stock 16s to complete the set.

I'm not really a fan of 17s that most people put on MR2s plus being a daily driver the 15s are more comfortable.

I wish more manufacturers had Mazda & Honda's vision for lightweight rims & I agree about 17's on an MR-2. (personally, that's as large as I'd go on a '93+ RX-7)

Just found out my car turns 20 today, gotta say it feels pretty cool knowing I own a classic car......now if only I could start sinking some money into getting it to look like a classic.

Back