GTP NASCAR Sprint Cup S4 Champs: Akmuq, Hendrick, Chevrolet

• Thread starter Niop
  • 3,170 comments
akmuq
2 teams of two at a time on SSRX, one team starts at Start Line, the other at the 0km line on the back-straight, first one to get back to their respective line wins, simple.👍

And it's around about the same length of time as the real life stuff.

Edit: Olympic

Good idea!

Maybe make it a full lap.

3 heat races with 5 cars, 5 cars, and 4 cars each. Top 2 cars advance from each heat, with a 6 car final race?

Arrange the heats so they are more like Olympic qualifiers, with each country sending only their best to the final. It should make the finals more even, as no country can have more than 2 drivers representing them in the medal round.

Heat 1 (5 USA) - Top 2 advance
Heat 2 (2 Ireland vs 1 Canada vs 1 Finland vs 1 France) - Top 2 advance
Heat 3 (4 England) - Top 2 advance

Something like that.

Welcome to the GTP NASCAR Olympic Sprint-Off.

This will be hosted by myself and Drop before the Bud Shootout, to bring glory to your country and winning Gold.

It will be based on a slight variation of the Olympic Cycling Sprint format, in which they aim to beat their competitor in two out of three races, of three laps each. You will have noticed that generally the ‘sprint’ doesn’t start till the last of those three laps and it really is a cat and mouse tactical battle until one of them decides to go hell for leather. In the interest of there being 14 drivers here, and the format above taking far too long, this is what we should do.

Starting with the Last 16 Round (which will see two byes), you will compete against one other competitor over three laps of Daytona, using our SC specs. Others watching will be able to advise who led the first and second lap, and it could finish there if one driver wins both those laps. For each of the first two laps, each driver ‘must’ lead through turns 1 and 2, and you can go as fast or as slow as you want but watch out for the guy behind you. If it gets to lap three then anyone can lead. This should keep it moving smoothly and quickly, with no breaks between races.

Win your heat and make it to the Quarter Finals when names will be redrawn, and we go again. We can decide on whether the Final should be best of three or five laps.

I have done the initial Last 16 Round Draw, and here is who you will face.

ACDC v Carbonox
Furinkazen v Mudd
Niop v Joe
Drop v Matty
Knelly v Akmuq
RPH v Litchi
Tom gets a Bye
Mule gets a Bye

That’s 13 3 lap races. Is that too much? I hope not and should be fine considering the Bud Shootout is only a 50 Lapper.

Tie of the round. All were completely drawn blind. And il be rooting for you in this one Joe.

I suppose you could have arranged the drivers into two pots to avoid clashes between the #1 and #2 Sprint finishers. ;)

I could redo it based on seeding. That was literally just all names out of a hat.

39 total laps might take a while. What about the heat races leading to a final race, like in the track events (plus a whole lot of local NASCAR short tracks across America)?

3 heat races with 5 cars, 5 cars, and 4 cars each. Top 2 cars advance from each heat, with a 6 car final race?

Arrange the heats so they are more like Olympic qualifiers, with each country sending only their best to the final. It should make the finals more even, as no country can have more than 2 drivers representing them in the medal round.

Heat 1 (5 USA) - Top 2 advance
Heat 2 (2 Ireland vs 1 Canada vs 1 Finland vs 1 France) - Top 2 advance
Heat 3 (4 England) - Top 2 advance
Each race would be 3 laps long, making the entire event 12 total laps. 👍

Don't think that would work so well either as it will come down to team work in getting your best guys through to compete against the best guys from the other groups. I can see groups in the heat stages 'let A and B win as we would have the best chance to win gold and silver'. We may as well have the Continental at SSRX if we go that way.

But I do like the larger heats with groups if 5, 5, 4 picked from a hat immediately before the race so as not to allow team work to be planned. This way we keep it as individuals representing your country with top two in each advancing to the final.

I don't think anyone in either country is going to concede their spot to anyone else for the good of their country. I want to win for the USA, not help someone else do it for me. There's no prize for being from the same country that wins, unless you are the individual winner.

Ok, two differing ways to do it then so let's let the team owners publicly vote.

Local heats or mixed bag heats. 👍

What time is the Olympics? TOCA should be done about 9.10 on saturday.

As soon as we have all of one country / region in the room, it can start. That is unless the choice comes as mixed qualifiers. The TO's must be having a real hard time of deciding :nervous:

I like either way, so it doesn't matter to me. But I thought I'd throw another idea out there. With bump drafting being such a big part of the series, let's have tandem vs tandem. With your partner selected randomly out of a hat. Once we get to the finals, the best tandem would split and get new partners to battle each other with. What do you guys think?

If it's just completely random tandems, it doesn't really fit into the Olympic theme of "Every man for his home country." It could be fun to do another time, but doesn't seem like an Olympic event.

Hi guys. Just want to say that (as usual and all the time while GATE is running) I'll jump in the room just before the race Saturday. I'll certainly host the GATE room so i'll "boost" guys for an early start around 19.45 UTC which should give me the time to run 1 quali lap at Daytona ;)

We can run Litchi's group last, if need be. Or, since the Shootout is really short, maybe start the Olympic event at 5pm EDT/10pm BST? If we do the 3 heats of 3 laps each, and 1 final of 3 laps, it's only 12 laps to run, so it should barely take any time.

Agree

Or how about this.

People should be on throughout the day so what we 'could' do is revert back to qualifiers that will be re-drawn and run throughout Friday night and Saturday day (uk time). This would be for Last 16 and Quarters, with the Semis and Final being directly before the shootout for all to watch.

As long as their is a third person in the room to officiate the quali's this could work and we could go back to the one on one sprint format with a bit more time to do it properly.

I am completely free of any commitments all weekend so could officiate most if not all.

Thoughts?

Agree

Or how about this.

People should be on throughout the day so what we 'could' do is revert back to qualifiers that will be re-drawn and run throughout Friday night and Saturday day (uk time). This would be for Last 16 and Quarters, with the Semis and Final being directly before the shootout for all to watch.

As long as their is a third person in the room to officiate the quali's this could work and we could go back to the one on one sprint format with a bit more time to do it properly.

I am completely free of any commitments all weekend so could officiate most if not all.

Thoughts?

Might work. There is a chance I am in this saturday afternoon to boot.

Wait, does any of this clash with TOCA???????

May be a stupid question but I'm too tired to read all the posts. :D

Wait, does any of this clash with TOCA???????

May be a stupid question but I'm too tired to read all the posts. :D

I think we are getting the shootout to start a little later to do the olympic events beforehand.

Damn, I just realized that TOCA and/or Bud Shootout will very likely take place at the same time as the men's javelin final.

What do you guys think of this for Olympic Sprint Qualifiers?

I have seeded each driver by where they finished in S3, with those outside the chase, by points, whether they were a SC or NW driver.

Qualifiers will start tonight, and when the two participants are both ready, to jump in my room for me to officiate.

Maximum of three rounds at Daytona, two laps per round. First to win two rounds in each qualifier progresses.

So for example, when Drop and Akmuq are both online, jump in my room after both agreeing via this thread, and let the battle commence.

Niop and Joe both receive byes in the first round, as seeds 1 and 2 respectively.

I'm going to ask Tom if he doesn't mind forefitting his qualifier as he is not back in the country till late tomorrow. This would also give Mudd a Bye if he does.

Qualifying heats should take no more than 15 minutes, so won't take up too much of your time. My room will be available to host from approximately 6PM tonight (four hours time).

Remember, in each round, you don't need to blast straight off and try and win this way. It should be a tactically strategic cat and mouse battle. The highest seed has to lead through T1 & T2 on lap one of round one, and lowest seed the same on lap one of round 2. A flip of a coin will decide for round three if appropriate.

Down for this? I am 👍

Attachments

• Olympic NASCAR.zip
    6.9 KB · Views: 15
Sounds good.👍

Bottom seed, oh yeah, not expected to do anything.;) Drop, would you be free straight after NASCAR Trucks tonight(around 4EST)?

akmuq
Sounds good.👍

Bottom seed, oh yeah, not expected to do anything.;) Drop, would you be free straight after NASCAR Trucks tonight(around 4EST)?

Wait, NASCAR Trucks is tonight?

And I thought I was against Drop.. :dopey:

Latest Posts

Back