GTP Online Racing Bureau (GTP ORB) Now Hiring!

• Thread starter gogatrs
  • 1,489 comments
EliteDreamer
Doesn't Nurburgring have all those types of corners and such you had said?

Yes, I was thinking of smaller tracks that kind of single out certain portions so we can just test practice select skills. Then a bigger Official ORB Circuit that combines everything into one track.

An official ORB proving ground kind of like complex string would be an awesome project.

@JL
You're right then what about scaling up the number of laps as we go higher in licenses? Sounds good.

I can see that. 4 Amateur, 6 Intermediate, 8 Advanced. The only thing I would request is that the times be made slightly more lenient because there is a lot more time to make mistakes. These still need to be remotely passable ya know =p

And I have a lobby up

Last edited:
ooo I just thought of a method to get target times: I'll set my best lap then I'll add 1 second to it and multiply it by 4. Then I'll try to beat thaat time using a controller and if I can't get close I'll add bits more time.

Well, I just ran a 2:07.9 in the SLS on Nurburg GP/F, so maybe that time can go down?

Edit: That was with Wardez's suggested settings.

Last edited:
JLawrence
Well, I just ran a 2:07.9 in the SLS on Nurburg GP/F, so maybe that time can go down?

I feel like a fat tortoise now.

Maybe the SLS+Nurburgring GP/F isn't the best combo.

I think that we should use Nurb GP for the Intermediate test though as it's the most balanced track in the game. Amy other cars that you guys think would fit there?

And I've just had an idea for a compromise regarding the tire wear.
What if we had a Beginner A Class license where you have to have podiumed at least once and passed a test that had tire wear on. The rest of the tests would remain the same with tire wear off.

And are we still going to do those 1v1 challenges?

I don't think we should worry about the 1v1's myself.

And why remove the SLS from the Ring? German car, German track. It's fitting.

JLawrence
I don't think we should worry about the 1v1's myself.

And why remove the SLS from the Ring? German car, German track. It's fitting.

Yes fitting, but from the sounds of it, maybe not for an Intermediate test.

What about the M3?
That would be suitable.
Can you run some laps in that on GP/F, tell me what you think? Please.

That's just being elitist. No need for that.

I have never run a race without tire wear on. This is a made up license test, not a race or challenge. It's not designed to look for what you think it is.
It was sarcasm without the :). I understand your point about wanting a consistent car for the entire test but tire wear needs to factor into the license process at some point.

Have you considered using any of the lower powered touring cars for testing?There are several cars that rarely get used online that could provide a good challenge and not be overwhelming at the same time.Using a car that can only have a few upgrade parts on it would ensure that extra stuff doesnt find its way into the car and could also introduce tuning into the test.The car could be copied and "rented" to the person taking the test and then returned when they have passed if they dont happen to have one in their garage.

I'll play my usual role of 'debbie downer' below.

For the last 10-15 pages that I did follow this topic, I think this is heading into some direction I don't get. The point is to sort potential racers by skill with minimal effort. What this looks to be spiraling into - some complicated mess, with tons of license classes, tons of 'testing' combos and a lot of wasted effort. You guys will get burnt out just setting this up. And then you'll have to devote tons of time to watch others take those tests. Some will want to do it multiple times until they are able to string together 4 (8?) good laps without major mistakes.

Online/offline/tire wear/SRF model does not really matter. It's just something one has to get used to and get the best time with the settings allowed. What's lacking - is traffic. What I would do - just use in-game license test where you have a couple of laps to win (+achieve a certain time), but enforce 'no contact' rule (like there was in-game prior to update 1.0?). That way you get someone quick and at least capable of avoiding contact when he must. And that also saves a ton of time that stewards must spend watching someone 'qualify'. Just have to watch once instead of multiple attempts until "pass".

Possible extra benefit - set basic/intermediate/?? license goal = gold license time, and automatically grant it to anyone who got their 'gold trophy' before the update that relaxed contact penalty in licenses.

The point is to sort potential racers by skill with minimal effort. What this looks to be spiraling into - some complicated mess, with tons of license classes, tons of 'testing' combos and a lot of wasted effort. You guys will get burnt out just setting this up. And then you'll have to devote tons of time to watch others take those tests. Some will want to do it multiple times until they are able to string together 4 (8?) good laps without major mistakes.

I have to agree with this. There has to be an easier way to go about it.

What you want is offline license tests. That would involve honesty. Or at least video proof which most can't do.

I like it how it is and I don't see a better way to do the tests.

What you want is offline license tests. That would involve honesty. Or at least video proof which most can't do.

I like it how it is and I don't see a better way to do the tests.

I didn't say that, I just said there's got to be an easier way. I still think it should largely be based on their previous race results.

I'm sure, but what?
Maybe getting 3 of us with a slower car and a head start then giving the licensee a faster model and a time limit to pass us cleanly? Any contact past the absolute most minor of bumps and it's a fail, and if the don't manage to get past all three it's a fail.
And, if we didn't want to do all the driving ourselves, we would conceivably have the option of, in groups of four licensees plus one admin, give them the cars and we watch from the sidelines?

I'll play my usual role of 'debbie downer' below.

For the last 10-15 pages that I did follow this topic, I think this is heading into some direction I don't get. The point is to sort potential racers by skill with minimal effort. What this looks to be spiraling into - some complicated mess, with tons of license classes, tons of 'testing' combos and a lot of wasted effort. You guys will get burnt out just setting this up. And then you'll have to devote tons of time to watch others take those tests. Some will want to do it multiple times until they are able to string together 4 (8?) good laps without major mistakes.

Online/offline/tire wear/SRF model does not really matter. It's just something one has to get used to and get the best time with the settings allowed. What's lacking - is traffic. What I would do - just use in-game license test where you have a couple of laps to win (+achieve a certain time), but enforce 'no contact' rule (like there was in-game prior to update 1.0?). That way you get someone quick and at least capable of avoiding contact when he must. And that also saves a ton of time that stewards must spend watching someone 'qualify'. Just have to watch once instead of multiple attempts until "pass".

Possible extra benefit - set basic/intermediate/?? license goal = gold license time, and automatically grant it to anyone who got their 'gold trophy' before the update that relaxed contact penalty in licenses.

Just pay attention to the outlines Wardez has posted, he has a very clear view and knows to keep things simple.

Personally, I think the license tests would be better operated like the in game tests where your license is decided by your relation to the target time (bronze/silver/gold), meaning there would be a target time for beginner, advanced, and pro (or whatever the terms are). That would be much simpler than having different cars and different tracks for different tests, just administer the test once and their overall time decides which license they get. If they take it again and improve their time they get the next license.

I'm sure, but what?
Maybe getting 3 of us with a slower car and a head start then giving the licensee a faster model and a time limit to pass us cleanly? Any contact past the absolute most minor of bumps and it's a fail, and if the don't manage to get past all three it's a fail.
And, if we didn't want to do all the driving ourselves, we would conceivably have the option of, in groups of four licensees plus one admin, give them the cars and we watch from the sidelines?

Still involves us having to start up a room and spend time doing that....for everyone.

I still think that everyone should start at a beginner license, unless they can provide proof of won championships or race finishes, then we can issue a different license according to their results.

Four at a time. But you're right. I can't think of anything else that can be readily monitored. Regardless though, registration grants a beginners license.

I say just start everyone out with a Beginner license, and as they gain experience in all the ORB approved series, that will upgrade their license. If someone isn't fit to race in one of the higher Tier leagues, then let the series founder make that decision. Most of the time people will only sign up for a series they know they can compete in competitively anyway.

Latest Posts

Back