GTP ORB Vintage Sports Car Series | Next Race Thursday @ 9pm

• Thread starter JLawrence
  • 600 comments
I've practiced in both the Camaro and the '63 Vette and both of them just are "ok" to me. The Camaro SS is the better choice in my opinion, more power but also more weight so ill keep working on the two cars.

I don't like the '63 split window just because the horsepower & torque are in the wrong place in the RPM range (in the middle). You have to short-shift every gear. Also makes braking more difficult.

I'm a firm believer in that the GT350 is straight from hell. I tried tuning that a little while ago.. frick'n yikes..

Since we're still doing pre season testing, can we try using sport soft tires? My '54 polo white corvette looks much much better with white walled tires. Sports cars on sports tires? eh? I aslo think ss tires lets the true handling characteristics of the cars come out. Instead of having super grip, especially @ 440pp. And they don't make racing slicks with white walls.

Last edited:
Skeletor27
I'm a firm believer in that the GT350 is straight from hell. I tried tuning that a little while ago.. frick'n yikes..

Since we're still doing pre season testing, can we try using sport soft tires? My '54 polo white corvette looks much much better with white walled tires. Sports cars on sports tires? eh? I aslo think ss tires lets the true handling characteristics of the cars come out. Instead of having super grip, especially @ 440pp. And they don't make racing slicks with white walls.

That might limit a few cars out you know? For example the Stratos wouldn't be anywhere near as competitive with the SS tires. Same deal with the Jag and possibly a few others.

I prefer the sports tires as well, didn't bring it up 'cause everyone else so far seemed to prefer the race slicks. I would think the sport compound tire would limit all the cars equally, but I could be wrong.

I don't believe that. However, I've never driven the jag, or stratos. Every car will have the same grip reduction.
I'm just asking that we try it out. We did this in the T/A series @ 530pp, and I thought (and others too) that made the cars a lot more fun to drive. Plus they don't make racing slicks with white walls.

Skeletor27
I don't believe that. However, I've never driven the jag, or stratos. Every car will have the same grip reduction.
I'm just asking that we try it out. We did this in the T/A series @ 530pp, and I thought (and others too) that made the cars a lot more fun to drive. Plus they don't make racing slicks with white walls.

Please give the Stratos a try. Theres one in the OCD. Put some SS tires on it and tell me what you think.

:lol: Somehow I get the feeling that there's no way your gonna change Skel's opinion as long as there's whitewalls involved. :dopey:

I absolutely love the GT350, and believe it or not I am really quite fast with it maxed out and otherwise. I've been setting 28's on Trial Mountain, and 14's on Deep Forest. It's all about throttle control. I'll put my 550Pp one on my shared list if you'd like to give it a go.

I love your whitewall logic :P

Sports tires are certainly fun, but remember the original thought of this series was to have an SCCA type level of preparation, including the racing slicks they run, but, we can certainly give it a go if that's what you guys want to do. I don't have a problem making changes. I do believe though that on the sports tires it will effectively remove the Jag, Stratos, and my beloved GT350 from contention.

I'll give the stratos a shot. Only if you compare racing tires & sport tires on the '54 vette and tell me that not having white walls is sacrilege.

". . .original thought of this series was to have an SCCA type level of preparation, including the racing slicks they run. . ."

I'm cool with that too.

Yes, I'm interested in seeing how your GT350 is set up.

Lol, I totally agree. The white walls look damn good, but I dunno that we can justify changing the regulations based solely on that. Like I said, it's up for the masses to decide. Whatever you guys want to do.

Alright. I will put it up when I get online next.

My vote is SS. Racing tires are ok but anyone can race on those. Put these cars on Sports tires and lets see who shines as a tuner and driver.

Lol, I totally agree. The white walls look damn good, but I dunno that we can justify changing the regulations based solely on that. . .

If I didn't think that was good enough reason, I wouldn't of brought it up.

Seriously though, I'm slightly concerned that at 220+hp @ 440 pp with slick tires, I won't have to let off the gas the entire way around the track.

I haven't run with you guys at all with this current set up. So maybe I should do that before barging in here and start requesting rule changes and having 'no frame of reference' opinions. oops, too late.

Anybody can race them yes, but not everybody can go fast. It takes just as much skill to go fast on race tires as a comparable level of speed on the sports tires.

Sound to me like we've got an excuse to get together and race!

Saturday. 6pm. Trial Mountain.
How about instead of one long race we split it into two, one on RM, one on SS, and see which we like more?

". . .original thought of this series was to have an SCCA type level of preparation, including the racing slicks they run. . ."

With this in mind, wouldn't RH give a more realistic tire grip? I don't race in real life to know but the RM's sure are grippy.

The RH tires seem to give the same feel as the treaded Vintage TDs that I use on my Spit, so I figured I'd take it just one step further, because I know the SCCA uses a little better compound than I do, but I'm thinking maybe a compromise at RH may be a good idea?

That sounds like it could work. I wonder what everyone else will think...

... And they don't make racing slicks with white walls

... fun to drive. Plus they don't make racing slicks with white walls.

...and tell me that not having white walls is sacrilege.

...If I didn't think that was good enough reason, I wouldn't of brought it up.

...oh, yea...:dopey: :lol:

Last edited:
Mudd, thats hilarious! I did bring up some other good reasons too.
I didn't mean to start a huge discussion about it, just wanted to try it out. Half of the reasons why we race these cars is they're great classics & fun to drive, not because they're fast & hadlle well.

Skeletor27
Mudd, thats hilarious! I did bring up some other good reasons too.
I didn't mean to start a huge discussion about it, just wanted to try it out. Half of the reasons why we race these cars is they're great classics & fun to drive, not because they're fast & hadlle well.

I like your reasoning.

Alright, some major trans gearing adjustments (a good hour and halves worth) have got the SS Camaro turning comfy 1:37's at Seca without turning tires red at all. I'm sure it's faster then that if I'm chasing someone, but I concentrated on consistency rather then hot laps. Gimme a time to shoot for at the Mountain. (I'm still using race mediums until we decide)

I set an overall best of 1:35.9 in the race last week, but generally a fast lap has been a mid to high 1:36

I think I'll be good, I'm pretty confident I could knock quite a bit of time off a lap with a rival's tail lights in sight. :mischievous: At Seca, the driver that avoids the sand the most wins, so I kept it safe during testing. Anyone timed themselves at Trial Mountain yet? I'm planning on trying it there tonight.

High 1:34's are the goal.
A couple lower 34's have been set, and with the Z28/Mach 1 I was setting consistent 33's

Please give the Stratos a try. Theres one in the OCD. Put some SS tires on it and tell me what you think.

Ok, I said I would, so I did. I did this briefly last night. That car is quite a handful. I actually liked it better on ss tires. The slicks, when the car got a little loose, it would shoot in one direction then the other direction when trying to correct it. ss tires seemed a little more forgiving. The lap times were very comparable to the '54 vette @ Laguna. Wish I remebered the lap times. I wanna say 1:40.flat was the best... So if the stratos isn't competitive on ss tires, then neither am I. Have I mentioned they don't have white walls on racing slicks?

Skeletor27
Ok, I said I would, so I did. I did this briefly last night. That car is quite a handful. I actually liked it better on ss tires. The slicks, when the car got a little loose, it would shoot in one direction then the other direction when trying to correct it. ss tires seemed a little more forgiving. The lap times were very comparable to the '54 vette @ Laguna. Wish I remebered the lap times. I wanna say 1:40.flat was the best... So if the stratos isn't competitive on ss tires, then neither am I. Have I mentioned they don't have white walls on racing slicks?

Okay and I'll put my tuned one up for share if you want to try that out. Its a very nice tune that I've spent some time on. I'll try to pull an even more extreme tune for SS tires since there's one in the OCD and see how it does.

I would like to check that out. I probably won't be online again untill Saturday. I was just using a stock version. threw a couple parts on it to hit 440pp. I had one already in my garage, still puke green from when I aquired it. Neat little car.

Back