GTP's Official FIFA 2006 World Cup Thread (Now with Results!)

• Thread starter OZZYGT
  • 1,700 comments
Apparently this world cup has already set the record for red cards and there is 12 more games to go, if I read the news this morning correctly.

Yep, but it's not really more violent, they're just clamping down on physical contact.

Yeah things like raising your arms when jumping for a header and delaying play have definetly caused an increase in yellow cards.

They were happening before, FIFA is just making it harder and harder for players to physically chalenge another player. Football seems to becoming less and less of a contact sport every year.

It's still a contact sport, but rather than having this dirty shirt pulling and pushing in the back it's more a focus on getting the ball first...of course it will take a while for players to realise this fully (hence the large amount of yellows and reds) but I think this clampdown is good for the game.

Contact in football is inevitable, arms will cross peoples chests, legs will tangle and so forth.l But rather than accepting that as a consequense of what football actually is, they are trying to get it out of the game. It won't be long at this rate before any contact more than a lgith brush (if that) will result in a free kick being given away and possibly a card. It's a contact sport, it's going to result in people clashing, but they seem to think that they can, all that will happen is games will become more and more filled with bookings and free kicks and games will become less flowing. If they will clamp down on anytihng, clamp down on what they keep saying they're clamping down on but haven't don bugger all about it so far, diving and crowding the ref, not booking a player because he went for a 50/50 challenge with another player and one ended up on the floor.

ExigeExcel
I thought a game was abandoned after 5 players were sent off on one team. Not between the 2 of them.

Nope - it's five total. Sheffield U***** tried it a few years ago - they were 3-0 down and had had two men sent off, with one for the opponents (Palace, I think). Warnock instructed (allegedly) his players to try and get themselves sent off, as if two more went the game would be abandoned.

DiabolicalMask
Boulahrouz was lucky for still being on the game at that time. He should have been sent off at the 7th minute.

For what?

DiabolicalMask
I think it was Sneijder. Anyway, I think the yellow card on that one was correct, although opinions are mixed.
The second yellow, though, was ridiculous.

Who? Sneijder? :P
I know what he did (taking the ball for his own) wasn't illegal, so it can't be called cheating. But it sure was dirty.

No, Deco.

The ball was a drop ball. Figo let the Dutch have it, and the Dutch played it backwards. At that point, play became active again. It may have been that Figo was expecting the ball to be played straight forward to Ricardo...

As soon as Deco saw it, he ran straight for the Dutch player (I thought it was Heitinga). He had absolutely no intention of playing the ball at all - he never does - he just wanted to hurt the Dutch player.

He does it all the time. He's a dirty little **** who, for all his talent, has absolutely no place in football because all he wants to do is injure people. AT least Figo and Cristiano Ronaldo (and Ricardo. And Valente, Costinha, Tiago and the rest of them) just cheat by falling over all the time, they don't try to end the careers of their fellow professionals.

Unluckiest player was van Bronckhorst.

The Dutch didn't play the ball backwards, he passed to his team mate beside him instead of showing some fair play giving the possesion back to Portugal. Then Deco decided to stop him. :sly:

It was not a pretty move by Deco, but Holland could've scored because of that and it wouldn't be fair at all.

Edit: And I think João is talking about C. Ronaldo's injury. I don't recall if that was in the 7th minute.

FatAssBR
The Dutch didn't play the ball backwards, he passed to his team mate beside him instead of showing some fair play giving the possesion back to Portugal.

But Figo made no attempt to play the ball, as if to give possession back to the Dutch - and Heitinga (or Sneijder) was behind the player who "won" the drop ball.

I make no comment on whether that was fair play or not, only that Deco went, as usual, to deliberately injure the man on the ball.

I wasn't paying much attention at the TV on the time the game was stopped but the commentator said Portugal was in possesion of the ball when the ref stopped the play. That's why Figo didn't attempt to dispute the drop ball, it was obvious that Holland should've given possesion back to Portugal.

Famine
Nope - it's five total. Sheffield U***** tried it a few years ago - they were 3-0 down and had had two men sent off, with one for the opponents (Palace, I think). Warnock instructed (allegedly) his players to try and get themselves sent off, as if two more went the game would be abandoned.

Do I believe some weirdo off the net or Pro Evo 5? :sly:

I think it's 5 from the same team as well, and that team loses the match even if they're winning the game.

Famine
No, Deco.

The ball was a drop ball. Figo let the Dutch have it, and the Dutch played it backwards. At that point, play became active again. It may have been that Figo was expecting the ball to be played straight forward to Ricardo...

As soon as Deco saw it, he ran straight for the Dutch player (I thought it was Heitinga). He had absolutely no intention of playing the ball at all - he never does - he just wanted to hurt the Dutch player.

He does it all the time. He's a dirty little **** who, for all his talent, has absolutely no place in football because all he wants to do is injure people. AT least Figo and Cristiano Ronaldo (and Ricardo. And Valente, Costinha, Tiago and the rest of them) just cheat by falling over all the time, they don't try to end the careers of their fellow professionals.
Obviously I knew you were talking about Deco. I was just playing with your words.

I cannot agree with what you say about Deco. To be honest, I haven't followed his career at Barça that closely, but let me tell you that I don't recall ever seeing him injuring a player (on purpose, that is) all those years he played at F.C. Porto or Portugal.

Maybe this is all down to personal interpretation, but I think Deco just wanted to stop the game when he commited foul. A bit of revenge, yes, but I honestly don't think he was trying to injure Sneijder.
And if you really think Deco wanted to hurt Sneijder, how can you ask why Boulahrouz should have been sent out? Didn't you see what he did to C. Ronaldo (7th minute)? That was intentional!

DiabolicalMask
I cannot agree with what you say about Deco. To be honest, I haven't followed his career at Barça that closely, but let me tell you that I don't recall ever seeing him injuring a player (on purpose, that is) all those years he played at F.C. Porto or Portugal.

I've seen him do it three times, not including yesterday, and at least once for Portugal, not including yesterday.

He's a filthy little rat and he should not be playing professional football.

DiabolicalMask
Maybe this is all down to personal interpretation, but I think Deco just wanted to stop the game when he commited foul. A bit of revenge, yes, but I honestly don't think he was trying to injure Sneijder.

I'm sorry? He ran 40 yards to kick someone's legs and that wasn't trying to injure someone?

DiabolicalMask
And if you really think Deco wanted to hurt Sneijder, how can you ask why Boulahrouz should have been sent out? Didn't you see what he did to C. Ronaldo (7th minute)? That was intentional!

I only saw a fraction of a second of the replay. Post up a video if you can.

MdnIte
GO ITALY. Because I oppose Brent in all things.

attachment.php
TRI
attachment.php

Support the damn country you live in.
attachment.php

"I wish I could be in Italy,
Over the Seas in Italy,
My lover will be,
thinking of me,
over the sea,
Innnn I-tttalllyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!"

Sorry Aussies, but you can't win everything.

I'd prefer Italy to win. We've already beaten Australia in this world cup and Brazil vs Italy is a classic.

ExigeExcel
Sorry Aussies, but you can't win everything.

They don't win anything, exept the Ashes, this is their chance to proove themselves since I thought that Croatia would go through with Brazil.

GeorgeMorley
They don't win anything, exept the Ashes, this is their chance to proove themselves since I thought that Croatia would go through with Brazil.

I smell bias. :)

FatAssBR
I'd prefer Italy to win. We've already beaten Australia in this world cup and Brazil vs Italy is a classic.

Well it may have been in the past, but I bet it would turn into an ugly boring dive fest.

HAHAHAHAHA That worthless excuse for a player matteratzi just got sent off. Couldn't have happened to a nicer person.

Seriously I hope Australia win.

Back