Honda Fan Club - under new management

• Thread starter THE ED3
  • 4,581 comments
@Sp33 - You could always improvise by taking the pictures at a mall parking lot, and just photoshop in whatever background you want. Sounds gay, but sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do. :lol:

Ok, heres the problem I just came across. My buddy just bought a 1998 Integra GS-R, B18 DOHC VTEC, thats been lowered and equipped with a short ram intake. The previous owner had the engine bay sprayed and left the air filter on when he did so, completely covering it in what looks like oil, so obviously I said lets go get rid of the Ractive POS and go with a new K&N and replace the spark plugs while we're at it.

Now heres the problem, when I pulled out his old plugs, 3 of them were covered in sand! It had looked like the guy had changed his plugs on the beach or something as it was that kind of sand and it was all over the threads and corroded arms. His oil was clean, and there is no rust or corrosion on the dipstick, and all his hoses were alright, no tears or loose fittings, just an oil filled air filter which is now changed. Anyone ever heard of this, or know what could have caused something him to have a beach in his engine?

LOL!

You sure it was sand? coz some spark plugs can be ultra corroded or just passed their used by date, and the spark will wear the metal leaving a kinda grainy residue. Thats the only thing i can think of it being. Other then that.... Maybe he was getting a tan whilst tuning his engine *slaps forehead*

~Sp33~

We were laughing about that actually, well, more it was more me who was laughing, and he was cursing, which made me laugh more. :lol:

I'm sure it was sand, it looked just like beach sand, and it was all over the threads and holes that the spark plugs are down in. We've decided to give it a month or so, and check them again, and if its covered in sand again we'll have it checked out. I'd hate to see his engine blow thanks to sand or something else stupid that the last owner was part of.

Lol how v. v. strange. Maybe He doesnt have an air filter? or its damaged? and dirt is getting in? Lol all as unlikely as the next. I reckon your going to make some mechanics day with that story.

Sand would melt in the combustion chamber, you'd end up with glass on the plug.

If there are small sandlike particles on the plugs, thats bad news, they are usually bits of molten piston. Check his timing and see if it's too advanced. They would be metal colored, though. My other thought is that the PCV is plugged up and pushing the rings up into the combustion chamber, where they are burning (sorta) and putting deposits on the plugs.

^^^ Uh oh that doesnt sound too good for your mate then does it Dr. jay?

yesterday I went mag shopping (well not shopping just dreamimg) and in a wrecking yard I came across these nice ass rims with about 60% tread left on the tyres. The rims looked similar to this http://www.performancetyres.com/BBS_Wheels-Rx_Enlarged.jpg, but they werent actual BBS rims, just similar style. they were 16 inch and when I got home I found a similar pair at a local tyre place and they retailed for around $1600 with tyres. THEY WERE ONLY $600 AT THE WRECKING YARD!!!! the stud pattern was perfect as they were fitted on a written off Integra with the exact same stud pattern...

damn I wish I had some money..... :(

btw: another pic

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c132/1990_Prelude/Preludeinthebackground.jpg

skip0110 - I never thought about checking his timing, thanks, i'll do that tomorrow when he comes over to put his new intake on. Its not metal, it basically looks like brown beach sand. It was all around the threads and around the base of the spark plug. I'll check them tomorrow and if it shows anymore then i'll bring it to my neighbors shop to see what it could be. This is what he gets for buying a low budget (theres more reflective tape under the hood then you can imagine, even on the engine) riced up "too good of a deal to be true" car from a shadey used car lot in another city. The first thing I did when I saw the car was pop the hood to make sure it was a real VTEC after hearing about it.

Mclaren_Man - Wrecking yards are great places to find used rims for cheap. You might have to replace the tires, but you still usually end up with a good deal. I love that style of rim too, BBS is one of my favorite makers, and that design looks good on almost anything (even more amazing on German cars though for some reason). I say do whatever you can to pick them up. Sell your baseball cards, comic books, dress shoes, sister, whatever. The feeling you get when you first roll down the street on a new set of rims is worth whatever it is you had to give up (including your sister). :lol: 👍

skip0110
Lookin' good in that pic, but I noticed that your rims rotate in different directions...they might have messed up putting them back on when it was in for the collision repair.

Yea it has actually been like that from day one that I bought it, when I service it i will jack up the rear end and get it sorted, because all I need to do is swap the rears over to opposite sides then it should be all good 👍

At Dr. Jay (well thats what your name is in your personal proflie :lol: ) :
I currently owe my parents $900 and I only have $600 on hand at the moment. I dont want to be in debt anymore than I all ready am its so annoying earning money for what seems like nothing :crazy:

Not to worry I found this place in my local area which advertised fitting of 17 inch rims and tyres for like $1000, so if I get 16 inch ones they are normally about 200-300 bucks cheaper and they had plenty in range, so I might swing by there once I get some cash.....

.........actually I just had a thought, my tyres are pretty new at the moment so I might aswell get my moneys worth out of them and get an exhaust first...

just a thought.....💡

Im waiting for muh tread to die down before i get muh rims replace, definantly a good idea. carefull with swapping the tires to different sides, Coz your tread always wears in a pattern, im pretty sure your only supposed to swap to the diagnals (front left on rear right etc..) Otherwise you may be wasting tread mega fast ( specially if your car comes with a standard camber)

Mclaren_Man - I'm not a real doctor, I only play one when i'm with girls. :lol:

Since your tread is pretty new, it should be alright to switch around the back wheels. Debt is never fun, so i'm with you on getting the exhaust first. Won't add much performance, but will definitly add more enjoyment to your driving experience as you listen to your engine sing in a new exhaust note. $1000 for a set of 17"s with rubber is still pretty good though, most shops charge around here charge anywhere from $1400-1600+ for their packages.

Whatever you do with your exhaust though, go to a reputable shop, and don't let them cut your back bumper! A guy I know took his MX3 in to have a muffler installed, and they ended up taking a jigsaw to his bumper to fit it up higher. The sad part is, the muffler fit fine under the rear pumper, and as far as I know, he didn't even complain about what they did, he just went and had this ugly metal thing built to cover the crooked saw marks. I hate MX3 Precidias, but I felt sorry for this one.

lol !!! *gasP* if they did that to muh car, i would demand a new back bumper!! ( one of those JDm ones with rear fogs kekeke)

BlazinXtreme
When is the Fit due to go on sale in the US? Anyone know?

From what I heard, the 2007's should start hitting the US soil in early fall. Could be wrong though, unfortuantly this is the only auto related forum I go on that has talked about them and their release.

I really want to check one out when they get here, I sat in one at the NAIAS and really liked it. It's probably one of the best small cars I've ever been in. Honda did a real sweet job with it.

BlazinXtreme
I really want to check one out when they get here, I sat in one at the NAIAS and really liked it. It's probably one of the best small cars I've ever been in. Honda did a real sweet job with it.

Honda ALWAYS does a really sweet job. :sly:

Seriously though, I agree with you. I could see this being popular amoung so many crowds (people who want gas mileage, tuners, low budget buyers, etc) that its hard to think that they never brought it over sooner. :confused:

@Sp33 - Journo's? Sp33, is that more outback Auzzie lingo that no one else in the world understands? :lol:

wow this thread really has stood the test of time, well done guys on keeping it together, we should have an online party when it hits 1000 :lol:

sp33 had the link to the thread in his signature which lead me to this idea of all of us having it in our siggy.

everyone paste this into there sig: The Honda Fan Club - The power of dreams

that is what I have currently got in mine 👍

Then why just say "media" or whatever? I swear, sometimes you Auzzies just can't stand saying normal words so you them up to confuse us. Just because your from the land down under doesn't mean you always have to be different. :lol:

And of course it lasted this long, its a thread about Honda's and Honda's just keep going and going, so why wouldn't the thread? :sly:

vexd - EG's are one of my favorite Honda's, and probably one of my second favorite hatchbacks of all time. Nice looking car, very clean especially with the black rim/chrome lip combination on the car. 140 HP isn't bad for such a small car, whats your list of mods, and future plans for the car?

Vexd my buddy has Civic very similar to that, but a lot rougher. We are in the process of building it back up and he's planning on do a motor swap.

BlazinXtreme
Vexd my buddy has Civic very similar to that, but a lot rougher. We are in the process of building it back up and he's planning on do a motor swap.

What motor is he thinking about for the swap?

Try talking him into turning it into a EG SiR II with a B16A1 swap. With the JDM SiR II accessories (front bumper/lip, rims, etc) he could make himself a clean fast ride without getting "ricey" or doing something that everyone else has done to their cars.

Some nice examples of a stock/semi stock SiR II's...
crw7178bo8lb.jpg

crw7139bo6hv.jpg

520013332807-ad36-028001E0-.jpg

EG6_1160.jpg

Well he made the suggestion of an Accord engine, but I have no idea on what code it is.

Sounds like an H23/H22 swap depending on what year of Accord he meant. Not a bad swap, but definitly more difficult to accomplish. It actually rates a 5 out of 5 for toughness on my Honda engine swap chart, which kind of scares me since its in the same category as an H22 swap into a CRX. :scared:

I still say you try to talk him into the B16A (8100 redline, 160hp) as its an easier swap, with enough support available online to do it himself if he wanted too. Thats just my 2 cents though.

Yeah i agree on the 2nd gen b16a. Its a good swap and it was ment to be in the EG civic:tup:
Its also a cheap engine to source. Yo can get tons of power if you strap a gt40r onto it and if you plan to keep it "All Motor" you can always buy a Type R Head and build it:dopey:

Two new members:

Vexd: Who has a white eg hatch and

Boz mon: who PM'ed me and will hopefully post some pics up for us of his 5th gen prelude :)

Thanks guys, this threads great :)

~Sp33~

Latest Posts

Back