If GT5 does incorporate a livery editor...

• Thread starter EJRocky
  • 1,552 comments
But I guess it would also mean we'd get a lot of cars like this:
dscf0184w.jpg

If you take away the black hood and writing, thats my Volvo from GT5 :)

Imagine Team championships with your friends or Bobs with custom liveries and number/name plates, would be so much fun, while Polyphony cannot do RMs on their own, like they did.

Last edited:
Handy to know though. That livery generally tells me "Hey I'm going to ram you on the first corner"

Or it's just someone with a love for naive expressionism/action painting who happens to use virtual cars as canvasses.
Although having said that, didn't Jackson Pollock kill himself in a car accident?

I can see a livery editor being added but not until we have a GT game with all the cars as premiums. Trying to get a livery editor to work on both standards and premiums would be hell to get right, not to mention a bit pointless. Imagine it... "Look at the detail I have done on this standard cars livery". "I cant because I cant zoom in close enough"

I do hope that whenever the livery editor is included, it comes with an option to preview someones car with an option to disable that car or a complete livery off function. The other game has shown me that for every car with a great livery is balanced by 5 cars that look horrible.

The only reason I would want to see user livery's in a game, is if they where made to look like the car belonged on a racing track.

If GT5 had a livery editor, it would turn into NFS Underground. And we(I?) wouldn't like to see that happen.

Plus, I hate the word "decals".

It's funny, because Underground 2 was better in basically every conceivable way in regards to car tuning compared to GT5, cars like the High End Performance G37 and Blitz Skyline exist in the game, and GT5 already gives you the ability to make truly gaudy cars; yet people still throw "NFS Underground" around like a pejorative.

It's true that some people seem to forget that in GT5 you can make some pretty garish cars, even with GT5's extremely crippled and limited set of tools. I can paint my car bright pink like that Volvo... and in fact, put a carbon bonnet on it, and it'll look exactly like that :lol:

No Carbon Bonnet because it's standard, but if it was premium...

Last edited:
Toronado
It's funny, because Underground 2 was better in basically every conceivable way in regards to car tuning compared to GT5, cars like the High End Performance G37 and Blitz Skyline exist in the game, and GT5 already gives you the ability to make truly gaudy cars; yet people still throw "NFS Underground" around like a pejorative.

Mainly because of NFS Underground is a Arcade racing game. Not a professional racing game.

The GT series is fine without a livery editor.

Mainly because of NFS Underground is a Arcade racing game. Not a professional racing game.

Why? Forza isn't an Arcade game and GT isn't a full blown Sim so let's get real and not have this elitist air with Gran Turismo.

Forza has it. Plus Kaz said it would be incorporated in the game before it was released. Have you seen some of the wicked designs in Forza? I would love to do some designs on my car and personalize it.

If GT5 had a livery editor, it would turn into NFS Underground. And we(I?) wouldn't like to see that happen.

I dislike this argument, because the fear of one bad/distasteful design eliminates any great/tasteful design.

The integrity of the game isn't lost if a 10 year old creates a silly image. It's the integrity of the creator. To allow car enthusiasts to make a HUGE manufacturer's car his/her OWN; well that's car ownership. And GT needs that feeling. It's always lacked it.

CorvetteConquer
I dislike this argument, because the fear of one bad/distasteful design eliminates any great/tasteful design.

The integrity of the game isn't lost if a 10 year old creates a silly image. It's the integrity of the creator. To limit a car enthusiast's ability to make a manufacturer's car his/her OWN, that's a damn shame.

I don't really care about people making silly designs to the cars, but what I care about is that people will easily be able to mimic the Super GT cars, or other notable racing cars in the game with livery editor.

Why would it?

Quite frankly it would make a stunning addition to the game and being able to differentiate your cars for on-line is much needed. Certainly it makes all the difference for me in Forza.

I've a relatively mediocre talent at it, but it still serves me well enough:

Are you seriously saying you would not like to be able to do that in GT?

Scaff

Quite frankly it would make a stunning addition to the game and being able to differentiate your cars for on-line is much needed. Certainly it makes all the difference for me in Forza.

This. Absolutely this. And I didn't actually think that way up until a couple of weeks ago. But, oh boy, have I changed my opinion after seeing some of the better Forza 4 liveries.

I don't understand this argument that a livery editor would turn GT5 into NFS. Game physics decides whether a game is considered an arcade game, a sim, or somewhere in between. Not car liveries.

88FoxBodyFan
I don't understand this argument that a livery editor would turn GT5 into NFS. Game physics decides whether a game is considered an arcade game, a sim, or somewhere in between. Not car liveries.

Agree.

masterrawad
Forza has it. Plus Kaz said it would be incorporated in the game before it was released. Have you seen some of the wicked designs in Forza? I would love to do some designs on my car and personalize it.

Agree.

LMSCorvetteGT2
Why? Forza isn't an Arcade game and GT isn't a full blown Sim so let's get real and not have this elitist air with Gran Turismo.

Agree.

I would like to See a Livery Editor in the Game. The Editor Needs the quality of the Forza Editor.

I think People who saying Livery Editor is Arcade or useless are Totally wrong. They dont played a Game with a Good Livery Editor or dont like the fact that GT has Not an Editor and want Protect it.

Last I checked, it was an arcade racing game because it had arcade physics. Not because it had BETTER car customization and tuning than GT5 does.

Seriously, if the criteria for what makes a game arcade is whether it allows you to customize your car, GT2 is an arcade racing game because it also offered customization beyond that of GT5 (what with the racing modifications for the overwhelming majority of the cars and the far more realistic performance tuning).

Which is too bad, because Kaz disagrees.

I would welcome a livery editor, then I could put a heart with the initials "HT" on the roof of all my cars like I do in any game that will alllow me to :).

<3<3<3

To me is not important but could be pretty cool. I am a Full member in pCARS and since 2 weeks we can make our own liveries and put in all cars using photoshop or picasa, etc. Some people made incredible liveries.
The questions is...if PD add this to GT5...it would be as good as Forza editor (i don´t have Forza but saw on you tube how it works and it is quite good and simple) or will be something that people is going to bitch about?...
Hope they add it but i am happy with my chrome cars at the moment.

i cant understand the fans who wont be happy with a livery editor
so what if some people put silly pictures on cars.. its a video game
i wanna put a clown pic on my mini cooper & do a lap in a kart track.. is it gonna hurt you!?
i like to have a tuned & a stock version of all the cars in game n i dream to do some painting on the tuned versions.
only reason im not playing forza rightnow is because my wheel doesnt work with xbox

Seriously, GT5 NEEDS a livery editor. I don't care if a bunch of 10 year olds paint their cars pink I just want to be able to recreate badass vintage race cars.
1983_Porsche_911SC_Safari_Rally_Bjord_Waldegard_Tribute_Front_1.jpg

I don't really care about people making silly designs to the cars, but what I care about is that people will easily be able to mimic the Super GT cars, or other notable racing cars in the game with livery editor.

Why is that an issue?

Seriously, GT5 NEEDS a livery editor. I don't care if a bunch of 10 year olds paint their cars pink I just want to be able to recreate badass vintage race cars.
1983_Porsche_911SC_Safari_Rally_Bjord_Waldegard_Tribute_Front_1.jpg

This. As I said some times already. Just a simple export > import button tool would work wonders... people that play racing games/sims are used to this stuff on pc... let us export a PNG, BMP, TGA, whatever file, then export to usb drive, edit on pc and import it back.

That would be quicker to develop... of course a full editor would be better because it would appeal more people... but I prefer to have a primitive tool than no tool at all.

A livery editor is very much needed.

For those that do not want it or do not believe it adds any value, simple you would not have to use it.

GT5 can and should start improving on what they have as soon as possible. Current method to paint cars is really weird, but guess better than nothing. Any update they put out they should be able to add/throw in a paint preview how hard would that be. I understand how the makers of the game think that collecting paints add value to the game. However to me it does not. I am okay with having to unlock paints by buying cars or getting them as prizes. However once unlocked, what would be the harm in allowing us to buy the paint from that point forward. Also they really need to expand on the wheel selection. I think most previous games had more wheel choices. It is great that they finally allowed us to change wheels on the standard cars.

greenlightning
A livery editor is very much needed.

For those that do not want it or do not believe it adds any value, simple you would not have to use it.

GT5 can and should start improving on what they have as soon as possible. Current method to paint cars is really weird, but guess better than nothing. Any update they put out they should be able to add/throw in a paint preview how hard would that be. I understand how the makers of the game think that collecting paints add value to the game. However to me it does not. I am okay with having to unlock paints by buying cars or getting them as prizes. However once unlocked, what would be the harm in allowing us to buy the paint from that point forward. Also they really need to expand on the wheel selection. I think most previous games had more wheel choices. It is great that they finally allowed us to change wheels on the standard cars.

I agree with all of that the only thing is then we are going demand more body kits for all the cars and the only thing is is that will it be able to work with standard cars as well

Back