If GT5 does incorporate a livery editor...

• Thread starter EJRocky
  • 1,552 comments
Livery editor should only be applied to RM's

I like racing 'Road Cars' in stock form, GT should up the list of cars you can RM and these are where you should be able to use the liverys.

Normal cars look rubbish with graphics plastered all over them!

priesty_lfc

I like racing 'Road Cars' in stock form, GT should up the list of cars you can RM and these are where you should be able to use the liverys.

I honestly don't see the point in limiting the livery editor only to RMs. Especially since putting liveries on "normal cars" is quite common in real life. Spec Miata is a big example of this:

Spec_Miata_Start_MEATHEAD_Racing_Summit_Point.png

Plus, some RMs in GT5 are essentially liveried race cars with the same bodies as their normal counterparts. Look at the Camaro SS '10 RM and the Honda Civic EK RM for example.

Last edited:

So it should only be used the way you like it to be used? I love the fact you can now paint cars and wheels even if that does mean witnessing horrible combinations I wouldn't even think of doing, it's a small price to pay for allowing some basic creativity I reckon.

Same with a livery editor, I wouldn't use it for the majority of roadcars as I too like how they look without decals, but since you can buy multiple examples anyway, I couldn't resist being creative and make another example look like a racecar/whatever.
And just limiting it to a small selection of RM cars seems like a waste of time developing such a tool.

MuoNiuLa
I honestly don't see the point in limiting the livery editor only to RMs. Especially since putting liveries on "normal cars" is quite common in real life. Spec Miata is a big example of this:

Plus, some RMs in GT5 are essentially liveried race cars with the same bodies as their normal counterparts. Look at the Camaro SS '10 RM and the Honda Civic EK RM for example.

It's not quite common in real life.

See below

Toronado
Then they might as well not do it.

By the way:

Look. What is basically a road car that is raced professionally and is painted as such.

Then don't, it not anything that will improve the game.

See below

analog
So it should only be used the way you like it to be used? I love the fact you can now paint cars and wheels even if that does mean witnessing horrible combinations I wouldn't even think of doing, it's a small price to pay for allowing some basic creativity I reckon.

Same with a livery editor, I wouldn't use it for the majority of roadcars as I too like how they look without decals, but since you can buy multiple examples anyway, I couldn't resist being creative and make another example look like a racecar/whatever.
And just limiting it to a small selection of RM cars seems like a waste of time developing such a tool.

No, not how I think it should be used.

Being able to plaster stickers all over your car isn't what for me what GT is all about, I like being able to race normal cars and I'm sure PD don't want there cars to be ruined by all the rubbish people would plaster over there cars.

Restricting livery's to only race cars and RM's means people could still do what they wanted but it would be restricted, best of both worlds?

Realistically I don't know. Painting the body and rims still keep them normal without going ott and is enough for me........

How many RM cars are in GT5? Not many I'm sure. Would be a waste to just have an editor for a handful of cars.

Going by the only add decals to RM cars they might as well drop all non RM cars from the game. I mean it may be a bog standard mini but if I'm driving on SPA I should be allowed to put a racing number on my car. Maybe a track day pass too.

Last edited:
Have you seen cars in real life?

Then don't, it not anything that will improve the game.
Says who?

Being able to plaster stickers all over your car isn't what for me what GT is all about, I like being able to race normal cars and I'm sure PD don't want there cars to be ruined by all the rubbish people would plaster over there cars.

Restricting livery's to only race cars and RM's means people could still do what they wanted but it would be restricted, best of both worlds?

Realistically I don't know. Painting the body and rims still keep them normal without going ott and is enough for me........
Basically, it's because, as was said before, you think they should only do it to please you. Restricting to RM is not letting people do what they want, it's not realistic, and it does not fit with the spirit of GT as explained by Kaz "an encyclopedia for cars and car culture" or something along those lines. Cars and car culture may include things you don't like, but you don't have to use them.

priesty_lfc

It's isn't? Because I have more pictures where that came from. And again, even GT5 has some race cars that have liveries with only the stock body. The Spoon S2000 & Fit and the Ford GT LM (with the Gulf livery) are a few of them.

No, not how I think it should be used.

So yes, how you think it should be used as that's not what GT is all about for you (not taking into consideration what GT could be about for others, or what it could become eventually).
Restricting it to certain types of cars means restricting creativity and artistic freedom, you can obviously still choose not to use it for roadcars, isn't that enough?

I see a lot of roadcars with advertising decals promoting companies on the road, might not be to your liking but what if someone would like to create or replicate something like that for whatever reason?
Or if someone just wants to put hideous graphics on their roadcars just like people put hideous graphics on their real life cars, you and I may not like it but someone elses taste isn't for us to dictate.

Or when someone just wants to make their fully tuned and bewinged roadcar (with full weight saving, chassis reinforcement and downforce a roadcar basically already becomes a racecar apart from the way it looks) look more like an acceptable raceversion instead of a questionably adorned tuner car.

Thing is, a livery editor is a gameplay element in itself, not just the result but the whole process of creating something is what people like me are looking forward to, you know, playing around with it and not just having about 15 to 20 cars to use which'll become tiresome eventually.

Last edited:
Aventador-front2.jpg

I'll make a mockup of an SV for the aventador.

images

F40 race car

Spyker-C8-Laviolette-GT2-R-front-view-500x332.jpg

Just pure beauty!

Img521.gif

I'm a huge e46 fan, what could I say?

jaguar-xkr-gt-12-01-10.jpg

Give a cat some love... :P

Being able to plaster stickers all over your car isn't what for me what GT is all about.
If that's what GT is about to you, there's no issue with that. But you will not need telling that you do not represent all GT players. If you don't want to view other liveries, turn them off. Hell, I'm a big livery editor proponent, and I'm sure there will be liveries I don't like, so I'll just do the same. It's not rocket science.
I'm sure PD don't want there cars to be ruined by all the rubbish people would plaster over there cars.

I'm sure that they don't really like it either, but whether they like it or not, they're going to have to introduce this feature sooner rather than later. A livery editor is one page one of GTP's feedback page, and there are people in this thread and elsewhere who will seriously consider moving to Forza if GT doesn't hurry up and implement one (I'm one of them).

The good news is that Kaz is aware of it, but as has been said before, how rich, easier and powerful this livery editor will be is up for debate. Given how Kaz thinks that we are all stupid and would not have able to use a proper track editor, it's definitely an open question as to how powerful a PD-designed editor would be; or if there would be any of those annoying PD quirks to go with it.

Only reason we don't have a livery editor is so they can sell us a bunch of BS color chips as DLC.

Can't believe you think it's common.

On your way to work tomorrow can't how many you see.

Police, cars, estate agents, white van man maybe at a push cars with a nurb sticker on the back, yes, full on decals/livery no.

Road cars simply don't have decals so no it doesn't need a livery editor, as I said upping the race car/rm count and allowing these to be edited would be ok as its what is expected on that type of car.

Some people want one, some don't.

IMO it doesn't need one so no.

priesty_lfc

Police, cars, estate agents, white van man maybe at a push cars with a nurb sticker on the back, yes, full on decals/livery no.

Road cars simply don't have decals so no it doesn't need a livery editor, as I said upping the race car/rm count and allowing these to be edited would be ok as its what is expected on that type of car.

Dude, we're talking about cars on a TRACK. That's the only place you drive your cars in GT. On a race track. And on a track or a race on TV, 99% of the time, you will see cars with liveries.

Where did you get the idea we're talking about cars on the street?

And how exactly do you figure this, when there is no benefit to doing it other than you want it that way?

Last I checked, despite what the subtitle says, the GT series is about racing; not the daily commute to and from work. And, again, there are cars in the game already that prove this statement wrong; and road-based race cars like those in Grand Am that I posted a picture of (which is the type of racing that the GT series has always emulated) do have liveries.

Which isn't the issue. If people don't want to use it at all, they are perfectly capable of not using.

The issue is that you want one in the game, but don't want others to be able to use it how they want; and go far as to say that the game will be better when your needless restrictions are imposed on others.

Spagetti69
Should GT drop non racing cars too?

What?

Yes, drop all road cars as I've clearly said its not what I drive when I play GT.

Next time read all the post before you post.

MuoNiuLa
Dude, we're talking about cars on a TRACK. That's the only place you drive your cars in GT. On a race track. And on a track or a race on TV, 99% of the time, you will see cars with liveries.

Where did you get the idea we're talking about cars on the street?

Because I was on about road cars, I was saying I didn't want livery's plastered all over road cars......

Race cars/rms have livery's so yeah being able to add them would be ok, but road cars on track are still road cars so I didn't think livery's should be added.

priesty_lfc
What?

Yes, drop all road cars as I've clearly said its not what I drive when I play GT.

Cheeky Sod.

Your the one saying real life cars that don't race shouldn't have an option to create a racing livery.

If real life is an important issue I only asked if you would get rid of samba buses etc.

Maybe read what you post.

but road cars on track are still road cars so I didn't think livery's should be added.

Except they're not, so that argument is nonsense.

Do I need to pull up a list of racing series that use basically stock cars? Or would you rather I flood the thread with more pictures of cars that prove you wrong, since you ignored the Camaro I posted?

OK, so you don't like decals, but think about this. How about the ability to create some of the special edition cars that have been made through the years. One I can think of off the top of my head is the 1965 Shelby GT350. I would love to be able to make a Shelby Hurst Mustang livery for it. There are many other cars I'm sure that many people could think of similar things to do with them.

It's not about just decals. There are also pinstripes, flames, racing stripes, the ability to create little emblems, two tone paint jobs, the list goes on. You may not like some of the things, and personally, I agree with you about not liking decals on road cars, but to tell other people they can't have them because we don't like them is asenine. To not have a livery editor altogether because of aesthetic beliefs is just insane.

What?

Because I was on about road cars, I was saying I didn't want livery's plastered all over road cars......

Race cars/rms have livery's so yeah being able to add them would be ok, but road cars on track are still road cars so I didn't think livery's should be added.

If you don't like it, don't use it. I don't use the current Photo mode, do I think PD should elimate or limit it , no. Some users love to play around with it and I like to check out there pictures they post to share.

I really like lurking in the competitors Photomode Forum and looking at all the liveries they have created, you should check it out too.

Like it or not, it does add to the game.

You wouldn't believe how common it is to see one of these on the roads where I live.

Wrap+Fiat500+1.jpg

p1000038.jpg

Not just 500's but Smarts, Minis and recently IQ's, they're literally everywhere, not just cars used by companies themselves but I also heard some people get paid a small fee to drive around in what is basically a driving ad.
Now whether they look nice or not is another issue, but don't tell me roadcars don't have a full livery sometimes, or for that matter, a lot of times.

Jav
Only reason we don't have a livery editor is so they can sell us a bunch of BS color chips as DLC.

Like they couldn't sell pieces of a livery editor? I'm sure they would, and people would buy them.

Spagetti69
Cheeky Sod.

Your the one saying real life cars that don't race shouldn't have an option to create a racing livery.

If real life is an important issue I only asked if you would get rid of samba buses etc.

Maybe read what you post.

Yes I am and I stand by that - it's just my opinion

Adding a Samba bus was good tho, it's part of the driving experience, a livery is not.

Toronado
Except they're not, so that argument is nonsense.

Do I need to pull up a list of racing series that use basically stock cars? Or would you rather I flood the thread with more pictures of cars that prove you wrong, since you ignored the Camaro I posted?

What was the point of the camero? Look liked a rm to me which I said I thought livers would be ok?

What you post? Clio's from the Clio cup? Pretty sure they would be rm or tc versions which are already in the game........

Just agree to disagree, it's cool

analog
You wouldn't believe how common it is to see one of these on the roads where I live.

Not just 500's but Smarts, Minis and recently IQ's, they're literally everywhere, not just cars used by companies themselves but I also heard some people get paid a small fee to drive around in what is basically a driving ad.
Now whether they look nice or not is another issue, but don't tell me roadcars don't have a full livery sometimes, or for that matter, a lot of times.

Not cool.

That second one would be classed as a van tho :/

For all the good livery's out there there are a lot more which are shocking!

EDIT: Sorry double post! Damn iPad!!!!

I do find it rather ironic that you don't want road cars to have the ability to have decals added to them when you avatar is a road car with decals on it!

car_photo_226389_25.jpg

A car from a manufacturer that runs a range of race series for stock and near stock road cars that are almost without exception liveried up.

Now I get you point that a road car being run on a time trial or for photographic purposes may be clean, but the second you get to racing and a heavy percentage of track day cars, then you are looking at a large degree of real world decals and aesthetic changes. Running grids of heavily modified road cars that have been modified for racing, yet still look totally clean (as they do in GT) doesn't look even remotely like what you find in the real world.

Scaff

Last edited:
Not cool.

That second one would be classed as a van tho :/

So you now don't want us to be able to paint the rear windows too?

For all the good livery's out there there are a lot more which are shocking!

No doubt true but irrelevant (and refraining from your original argument that it should only be used for racecars), the same can be said of the current option to paint your cars, I see more players online with appalling taste than ones which resemble my own taste.
That doesn't make me wish you couldn't paint your cars.

It being cool or not is totally irrelevant. The problem is the word "livery", which implies a full recovering of the car. I'd most likely make small changes, add a few things here or there to make it look like a different version of a car, if it's not included in the game (Aventador SV being a recent example). Or just to add a subtle little logo that represents yourself, if that's your thing. I will also go the whole hog on some cars, as I see fit. I don't see why anyone should be unnecessarily limited at all.

It doesn't have to be used full-on, all the time, but having the full range of options available all the time will never be a disadvantage. If you don't want to see "liveried" road cars, don't do it.

That being said, having some sort of filter for other peoples' custom paint-jobs is a basic necessity, to save having to download them for a start, but also to save my eyes, or the eyes of the innocent and impressionable ("E for Everyone").

If these custom skins are to be made available to other players (like in the coming photo-stream?), then some serious thought needs to be put into segregating / characterising them for easier searching and exclusion, so that I don't have to trawl through pages of (what I perceive as) dross just to get that one scheme that suits my requirements.

Latest Posts

Back