Drivetrain
Clutch: Twin-Plate
Flywheel: Semi Racing
LSD: Adjustable
Drive Shaft: Carbon

Suspension
Type: Fully Customizable

FordSVT-MustangCobra-R.jpg

After Tuning an RX-8 I needed to work on something with a little Torque.

Enjoy!

Subaru Impreza 22B review:

Before:
This is a Subaru Impreza. So 4WD grip is to be expected with a hint of understeer at the limit. But it’s the 22B version, which, in the words of RJ, is the ‘loosest Scooby doo there is’. So a lot of grip and a lot of oversteer would be expected as the first impressions. And with so much power and so little weight, it should easily be a very capable car which requires very little tuning to make it go like a bolt of lightening. But unfortunately, it isn’t the tarmac-eating monster it should be. It’s handling is…well, loose. Just not the ‘loose’ I had in mind. It’s loose as in inconsistent, but I wanted loose as in a loose arse. And by inconsistent, I mean entering the second turn of the TGTT the first time and fighting the nose in and having to deal with the front pushing wide midway through the hammerhead, but then the steering suddenly becomes ridiculously sharp and catches me out on the second lap at exactly the same corners with roughly the same line. And it loses grip as quickly as it can recover from a slide, which is normally like…instantly. Oh, and be careful when you’re on the TGTT, because of GT5 physics and this car’s lightness, it’s very easy to just take off when you run over a cone, which is an…interesting experience to say the least when you’re going in a straight line, and borderline terrifying when you’re charging through the tires at nearly 130mph. As for laptimes, well, a 1:09.472 can be achieved, once. After that, chances are you’d be too caught up trying to beat yourself that you’ll forget that the 22B is easily the least forgiving Impreza ever made. And you’d promptly crash after realising this fact.

After:
So, what has the changes done? Well, to find out, I’ve lined up a little test. Loaded as the ghost replay is an Impreza 22B lap with exactly the same specs as Noobster’s, but it’s running a blind-tuned setup made by Rotary Junkie. My challenge? To see how long it takes for me to pass the blind tune 22B and to see how much of a lead I can build by the end of lap four. Why four laps? Because I normally run a race with my friend on saturday nights, and we always do 4 laps of the TGTT, and if things go to plan, I should be able to get close to the 1:06 mark Noobster achieved. Which is perfect as the races normally require a car to be able to consistently run high 1:06’s to low 1:07’s with ease. And the laptimes are:
1) 1:09.208
2) 1:08:866
1:08.308
4) 1:08.957

And the time to beat was: 1:08.208

How did that happen? How could a car, tuned by someone who once tamed a Ruf Yellowbird, lose to a person who doesn’t even have a PS3? Well, let me explain. The 22B had its faults, wayward handling, understeer at speed with the wing on etc. And you’d think Noobster would have solved at least some of these issues. But no. What he’s actually done, is what feels like completely removing the brakes! I have to say first, if you’re confused by this statement, that I like braking hard, might not be late, but I like to brake at the point where logic just doesn’t play a part in my driving. And in any other tune car, I could do that. I could just blast up to the corner, and just have enough time to glance at the apex of the turn ahead before hitting the brakes. But with the brake balance set at 4:2, it was impossible. I realise of course, that this tune was built around Noobster’s preferred way of driving, but I don’t think he remembered what people like to do online in proper racing situations. Out-brake one another into a turn. And on that front, with the brakes being as detached as they are now, it really does fall quite short. I found myself braking much earlier in this than in RJ’s car. And it’s not something you can adapt to after a few laps either. I paused the game midway through writing this to brush my teeth (it’s nearly 1am here at the time of writing) and when I came back to start my next lap, I was back in the wall because the brakes weren’t as strong as they should be. This took away a great deal of opportunities for passing RJ’s ghost car, as I always had to stamp on the anchors while watching RJ’s car go on for a good 0.5 of a second before the brake lights flashed red. So the brakes are…unnerving, to say the least. And the problem is that the brakes take up too much of your attention, that you won’t have any time to examine the rest of the tune. You’re too busy warning yourself to brake, and fighting understeer when you forget, that you can’t really do much other than wonder at what it could be if the brakes were better. Now, if I was Adrenaline, what I’d do at this point is start changing bits of the tune around, to see what’s best. But I’m not, so I don’t know what the difference of 1 will do to the feel of the car. So I think I should just wrap it up here, and say this (it’s past 1am already and I can’t drive at all). Noobster’s tune, although falls down on quite a few points (brakes, power understeer or wtv it’s called, loses to RJ’s car when both cars are accelerating up the gears etc.), does have some redeeming features. It’s very easy to drive, it fits a relaxed driver and forces you to drive it in a flow, not in sharp jolts. If you’re the type of person who drives with the fluidity of an ocean wave, this tune would be suitable for you. If, however, you drive with the aggression of a tidal wave like me (sort of), I would have to say try it, but don’t be surprised if it won’t listen from time to time, because this isn’t a normal Impreza. Most normal ones, tuned or not, need to be driven on the ragged edge to get the most from it. This needs to be driven like you would the Lotus 111R from the Top Gear Intermediate Challenge.

Laptimes: (Test on TGTT)
1:09.472 (before)
1:08.308 (after, Noobster tune)
1:08.207 (RJ’s blind tune)

loses to RJ’s car when both cars are accelerating up the gears

*cough*

Side note, the tune I sent to Onboy was effectively my Kia Impreza tune with slightly different alignment, diffs, torque bias (35/65 vs 50/50), and gearing that involved exactly zero tweaking beyond moving the autoset and final around.

Rotary Junkie

It was only noticeable when you shift from 3rd to 4th, but RJ's pulls away from Noobster's like it was standing still. Ok, maybe an exaggeration, but RJ's was noticeably faster in those gears. I guess that's why he held the 400m sprint record in GT4...

It was only noticeable when you shift from 3rd to 4th, but RJ's pulls away from Noobster's like it was standing still. Ok, maybe an exaggeration, but RJ's was noticeably faster in those gears. I guess that's why he held the 400m sprint record in GT4...

Wasn't the full on 400m sprint record, just quickest Spirit R. I had it for a while, lost it for a longer while, then got it back with the first into the 8.0xx range. Going from the low 8.1s to the high .0s was entirely shifting work though, very little tuning once gearing was mostly correct.

Thanks for that well written review, 1:08 is not bad, keep at it and you should be able to knock 2 seconds off that time with my Tune ;) I'm not the best driver with my DS3, I guess I might just be a better driver then you.

It's not for all drivers. You seem to work well with RJ, My Scoobie is still faster, by 2 seconds. It's for a different driving Style I guess.

It might of got the short end of the stick with you driving (very unbiased review), but your way off that 1:06 mark... It's for someone able to go at least a low 1:08 on Default settings, who can push it a little further. Keep at it though your getting there and with some Practice I'm sure it will be no time until you get faster.

I thought you guys were supposed to smash my 1:06, what happened? 1:08?

I thought you guys were supposed to smash my 1:06, what happened? 1:08?

I never said I was gonna smash it seeing as I can't. Even if I had a working PS3 I probably wouldn't be able to given it's a track that is completely unfamiliar to me and a car I've driven all of 3 times... If that.

Also of note is that Onboy probably had all of what, 12 laps in the car whatsoever? Whereas your 1:06 took you eight laps after you already tuned the car... And you had been running 1:08s and 1:09s on the laps just prior to it.

That said I see on your lap you were waiting for about 6 years to get back on throttle in a few spots... Also wheelspin coming out of the Hammerhead (on R3s? With 500hp and AWD? HOW?) Mid 1:06 is definitely possible, if not possibly a high 1:05.

I think 1:06 says I ran it just fine. I think 1:08 says enough about your Tune. I'm not that good of a driver use a DS3, yet managed a 1:06.

I don't know, for you to say, or anybody to say your Tune is faster, doesn't it have to be faster? For it to be about tune and not driver doesn't it have to be substantially faster if not possibly due to driver skill, or fluke lap? So far Onboy is faster with RJ's tune but he's still close to 2 seconds slower then I.

I run 1:06 all the time it was just 8 laps that session, I already hit it repeatedly days before, (lap time dates to prove it) ohh BTW it's NOT my fastest time with my tune ;) I hit that just to make a replay that wasn't my fastest, I got that on reserve.

I'm sure you guys have been running it to death trying to beat me, good luck with that.

Not that I care really, you will never be so fast that my tune is considered slow, if anything someone might knock a few tenets off my time, that doesn't make it slow.

I never said my Scoobie was the Fastest, just that it's Fast. 1:06 PROVES this. You act like its slow & you can make the 22b faster, so far you have failed, keep at it though, I'm sure your going to get it eventually, then claim it was all done in under 8 laps, lol, jokes, you guys are scared to death of me :D I love it :D

Last edited:
I think 1:06 says I ran it just fine. I think 1:08 says enough about your Tune. I'm not that good of a driver use a DS3, yet managed a 1:06.

Point? Me trying to figure out what a 1:06 actually takes at TGTT is a bit like me trying to figure out why Canadians put their milk in bags. Take it to Trial Mou-oh wait you hate the "fantasy" circuits. Even though you test your cars at an old airfield that's dead flat all the way around.

I don't know, for you to say, or anybody to say your Tune is faster, doesn't it have to be faster? For it to be about tune and not driver doesn't it have to be substantially faster if not possibly due to driver skill, or fluke lap?

Yep, it does have to be faster. In this case it was faster in the hands of the same driver than both default and your tune. Which is, again, hilarious to me given it was a one shot guess.

I run 1:06 all the time it was just 8 laps that session, I already hit it repeatedly days before, (lap time dates to prove it) ohh BTW it's NOT my fastest time with my tune ;) I hit that just to make a replay that wasn't my fastest, I got that on reserve.

Point still stands it took you 8 laps to do it again with god knows how many laps put into tuning the car in the first place. At this point you should be used to the car and able to string laps together relatively close to each other....

I never said my Scoobie was the Fastest, just that it's Fast. 1:06 PROVES this. You act like its slow & you can make the 22b faster, so far you have failed, keep at it though, I'm sure your going to get it eventually, then claim it was all done in under 8 laps, lol, jokes, you guys are scared to death of me :D I love it :D

I have failed? Orly. As is bloody well obvious Onboy did a faster lap with my guess than your hours of work... Same driver, my guess was faster.

In other news, I didn't say it's "slow". I said it was slower than it could be (and there is absolutely no arguing that it is the fastest it could possibly be). Aand of course you still haven't realized that me even coming remotely close to your tune in the hands of the same driver is pitiful on your part given it was a straight up guess. Hell, beating up the default setup is surprising enough.

Tested by someone one on your side already (clearly) that's a biased test. You guys are a joke. LAME you didn't come close to anything.

Anybody can run 2 cars and run the tune you don't like slower, then write a lengthy review to try and substantiate the BS testing. Doesn't make the testing valid or the time any faster.

Either way, it's still substantially slower then 1:06 I was expecting you guys to pull out at least a 1:08.

By posting a 1:08 a few tenets faster in RJs tune, do you think that makes RJs Tune faster then a Tune that's done 1:06? Really? That ends it? A 2 second slower time?

Tested by someone one your side already (clearly) that's a biased test. You guys are a joke.

Anybody can run 2 cars and run the tune you don't like slower, then write a lengthy review to try and substantiate the BS testing.

Either way, it's still substantially slower then 1:06 I was expecting you guys to pull out at least a 1:08.

By posting a 1:08 a few tenets faster in RJs tune, do you think that makes RJs Tune faster then a Tune that's done 1:06? Really? That ends it? A 2 second slower time?

Eh I may have someone on the way to beat that. May get a few in fact.

Rotary Junkie

Good, keep working at it, then I'll post my fastest time (still haven't) it's on reserve ;)

I'm scaring you guys so much it's hilarious, all you guys do is follow me around trying to out do me, :D

The "Evil Plans" were to write a BS review that Dogged my Tune? Reading it reminded me of watching Fox News. :D Hilarious BS.

Should I try and top 1:05? Or let you beat my 1:06 first? I was kind of expecting the 1:06.7 to get beat before you guys started dogging the Tune, so I kept my fastest time to myself. 1:08 though? 2 seconds, that's not even close...

Now you have to go get some other Drivers to best me?

Unbelievable!

My Coke taste Grrrreat.

7c1a46ab.jpg

Last edited:
Rotary Junkie

Hmm. TGTT, you say? I can hit a 1:05 there more than likely. I'll have a go at it at the weekend.

Edit: Is RJ's blind tune in this thread somewhere? I hate trying to read through it, as you guys probably are aware...

Last edited:
Noob, you've got some valid points. OnBoy's review is far from perfect or conclusive. 1/10th of a second is marginal. In online racing, that is made up with drafting. Considering that he didn't come close to your 1:06 I'd say his entire review is merely subjective and it comes down to him preferring the feel of RJ's tune over yours, mostly due to the brakes.

I agree with his reasoning though. Anytime I run a brake setup that doesnt add up to 10 (for example 6/4 7/3 8/2) it becomes virtually impossible to shadow another driver, especially the A.I. Lower setups force you to brake wisely which would be great for an endurance race...but with an online sprint you need the ability to divebomb a turn and know the brakes are there to save you. You also have to be able to protect the inside line. If you are braking earlier into turns, other drivers are just going to go around you.

Anyway, if you want me to run a few laps on both setups I'd be happy to. I've never driven a Subaru in the game and I use a DFGT wheel. I also don't have many laps on TGTT but I'll give it my best. If you aren't going to poke holes in any of those issues, i'll give the tunes a shot and post an honest review. If you are just going to claim your tune is for the DS3 or that my results are biased I won't bother.

Thanks

I have a different perspective on the brakes then most on GTP (I guess). I see the adjustments as an adjustment of input sensitivity, I go back N forth from ABS 0 - 1 with the brake set up to get a good feel at 1, but friendly to drive with ABS off.

I adjust the brakes to the calculated weight on the outside front wheel for the front and inside rear for the rear. If I calculate 450 I set it to 5, if I get 220 I set it to 2 then adjust on the Track. I feel this works good when you want even braking front to rear as a starting point, then adjust to feel.

As a rule of Thumb brakes are a driver choice, if you don't like the set you can always use the brake set for your braking style.

I'm glad it's not just obvious to me what's going on.

So here's my plan:

I'll run 5 laps using RJ's tune, 5 laps on default settings, and 5 using Noobster's tune. This effectively biases the test in favor of Noobster and against RJ. If RJ's settings still work better, especially if I post a 1:05, can we consider this case closed?

Last edited:
Schadenfreude13
So here's my plan:

I'll run 5 laps using RJ's tune, 5 laps on default settings, and 5 using Noobster's tune. This effectively biases the test in favor of Noobster and against RJ. If RJ's settings still work better, especially if I post a 1:05, can we consider this case closed?

Case closed?

Case closed?

Yes, as in no more defensive comments about how the tester clearly favors RJ's setup, and 'most' people would post faster times using yours, in spite of the fact not one person who has tested your 22B tune seemed able to recreate your laptime(s)...

chuyler1
If you run with abs off then the low settings make perfect sense. I always do abs=1.

I'm transitioning to full time ABS off. I want my Tunes drivable with no AIDS. ABS is a pain though but ABS is not in Racing. I still drive with ABS at 1 often just because it's a game, and it's much easier to post Hot Laps with it as 90% of the competition uses it, although I intend to use it as little as possible.

I'm transitioning to full time ABS off. I want my Tunes drivable with no AIDS. ABS is a pain though but ABS is not in Racing. I still drive with ABS at 1 often just because it's a game, and it's much easier to post Hot Laps with it as 90% of the competition uses it, although I intend to use it as little as possible.

Personally I'll use ABS right until they let us force it off in race lobby settings aside from on "fun" cars. Why? No ABS can stop somewhat quicker as I've noted in the 0-xxxxm braking tests for licenses but it's not better for tire wear or consistency in any way.

Oddly I have more issues with running ABS-free in GT5 than in any of the PC sims... Where I've not touched ABS since I started. :lol:

Edit: Also this guesstimate tune is getting waay too many people asking for it. :lol:

Quite simply, the staff is tired of this bickering. I'm closing it for a few hours to let tempers on both sides cool, as there's plenty of comments here that are made only to get a rise out of the other side, and they seem to be working far, far too well.

Warnings and/or infractions will be handed out once I get the chance to review the thread too, because while there's members who have reported this thread (or comments in it), in the past, they don't seem to follow the AUP themselves.

Back