Infamous Tunes * New Garage Name * New Release The R-Evolution *

• Thread starter No_OBsT33R
  • 437 comments
-raVer-
Only the "Blackbird" and you know I tweaked it a bit.

I´m low on Cr. atm.I can´t even buy a used car.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVdTtQ49i9w">YouTube Link</a>

raVer

No Pro, take one for a Spin when you have the Cr.

Cheers!

ABS - 1 eh? Or did you do the hotlap video with ABS - 0?

Anyway, since I know NSXs don't do 1:06 at TGTT on S3s I must ask why you've put R3s on it... I know "everyone" runs them but they dull the hell out of some cars, NSX being one.

I also have to wonder how you've managed to seemingly get it to keep the fronts warmer than the rears through a lap as it's an NSX. Und_3Rst33R? :P I kid but again I've gotta say that there's not much that feels more alive on S3s than a ~400-450hp NSX, the steering is sublime when done right. There's nothing better than a car that's simply telepathic in the way it responds.

Rotary Junkie
ABS - 1 eh? Or did you do the hotlap video with ABS - 0?

I did it with ABS -1 as I said. Hot Laps its much easier to get faster consistent times then ABS off. I'm still getting the Hang of it.

Rotary Junkie
Anyway, since I know NSXs don't do 1:06 at TGTT on S3s I must ask why you've put R3s on it... I know "everyone" runs them but they dull the hell out of some cars, NSX being one.

The tune is great on S3 Tires, but faster on R tires. I want this car to be competitive with a few others in my Garage and it's still a Blast on R compounds.

Rotary Junkie
I also have to wonder how you've managed to seemingly get it to keep the fronts warmer than the rears through a lap as it's an NSX. Und_3Rst33R? :P

No hint of understeer with this Tune. I calculated the suspension correction factor for the front and rear, then adjusted the springs factoring in the leverage of the suspension. When they were balanced I tuned the car as I do. Another factor is the brakes, many folks use higher rear biased brake sensitivity, this stresses the rear tires, while I adjust them to the weight in a braking corner. More forward biased, stresses the rear less, gives them longer life & helps reduce uneven tire wear.

Different Styles

Rotary Junkie
I kid but again I've gotta say that there's not much that feels more alive on S3s than a ~400-450hp NSX, the steering is sublime when done right. There's nothing better than a car that's simply telepathic in the way it responds.

I agree, it's fun, but still a rather easy car to drive, even on SS tires there is not much frustration as she goes wherever you tell her to. I like that I can push her HARD on R compounds and chase down lap times from my Cobra-R (that are surprisingly quick) and my CSL.

It's fun chasing down Hot Lap Ghost from other cars.

I did it with ABS -1 as I said. Hot Laps its much easier to get faster consistent times then ABS off. I'm still getting the Hang of it.

o.O

It seemed like I saw brake lock more than a few times through that lap, how high of front brake strength are you running?

The tune is great on S3 Tires, but faster on R tires. I want this car to be competitive with a few others in my Garage and it's still a Blast on R compounds.

Different strokes for different folks, I find being able to actually find and run on the limits of the tires to be much more entertaining than seeming to never be able to drive quite hard enough to reach them.

No hint of understeer with this Tune. I calculated the suspension correction factor for the front and rear, then adjusted the springs factoring in the leverage of the suspension. When they were balanced I tuned the car as I do. Another factor is the brakes, many folks use higher rear biased brake sensitivity, this stresses the rear tires, while I adjust them to the weight in a braking corner. More forward biased, stresses the rear less, gives them longer life & helps reduce uneven tire wear.

It looks like it's stressing the fronts slightly more than the rears (going by the tire heat/stress indicator). As for the brake strength, as mentioned above you may be running a bit too much forward bias here as the car appears to consistently overstress the fronts on entry. Even tire wear requires even relative stress levels, nearly locking/overstressing the fronts != good for tire wear... Though I've noticed what works without ABS is rarely "good" with it. ABS-on absolutely loves rearward bias and generally hates any sort of forward bias as it tends to result in overstressing the fronts once you turn the wheel. My best guess as to the reason is that our ABS system goes off of individual wheel speed vs vehicle speed and is able to compensate very closely for longitudinal slippage... Which means that braking in a straight line you should never see any tire "go red"... But since they're very close to that limit, when you turn the wheel the fronts will let go because they've gone past their limit of total grip.

You can run pretty much as much rear brake pressure as you want since they'll invariably not lock (though too much does cause unwanted effects under partial braking) in a straight line and don't go through the same stress as the fronts on entry... This usually leads me to run 5/7-5/9 brake balance settings with ABS on. ABS off? Depends on the car but it's generally around 4/2. This "more rear brake is better" thing actually occurred in GT4 as well; repeated testing through multiple people saw maximum rear brake pressure result in the quickest stopping times but too much front was a bad thing. Rears absolutely would not lock, fronts wouldn't actually lock but they'd overstress themselves... Much like GT5 with ABS on.

I agree, it's fun, but still a rather easy car to drive, even on SS tires there is not much frustration as she goes wherever you tell her to. I like that I can push her HARD on R compounds and chase down lap times from my Cobra-R (that are surprisingly quick) and my CSL.

It's fun chasing down Hot Lap Ghost from other cars.

Rather easy? Sure. But you've not seen easy until you've driven an R35 with the factory diffs and without excessive power. The NSX at least requires some concentration as to your throttle inputs on S3s. As for chasing ghost laps... Eh, I preferred to chase my friends. 535PP/S3 regs resulted in some of the closest racing I've ever had in any game while being able to run different cars... Most of the time. Then someone actually fast would pull out an NSX/Evora/R35 and walk everyone unless it was at Tsukuba where Imprezas and occasionally Evos would keep up very well.

*sigh* I'm afraid I'm rambling a bit. Sorry for that.

Rotary Junkie
o.O

It seemed like I saw brake lock more than a few times through that lap, how high of front brake strength are you running?

Different strokes for different folks, I find being able to actually find and run on the limits of the tires to be much more entertaining than seeming to never be able to drive quite hard enough to reach them.

It looks like it's stressing the fronts slightly more than the rears (going by the tire heat/stress indicator). As for the brake strength, as mentioned above you may be running a bit too much forward bias here as the car appears to consistently overstress the fronts on entry. Even tire wear requires even relative stress levels, nearly locking/overstressing the fronts != good for tire wear... Though I've noticed what works without ABS is rarely "good" with it. ABS-on absolutely loves rearward bias and generally hates any sort of forward bias as it tends to result in overstressing the fronts once you turn the wheel. My best guess as to the reason is that our ABS system goes off of individual wheel speed vs vehicle speed and is able to compensate very closely for longitudinal slippage... Which means that braking in a straight line you should never see any tire "go red"... But since they're very close to that limit, when you turn the wheel the fronts will let go because they've gone past their limit of total grip.

You can run pretty much as much rear brake pressure as you want since they'll invariably not lock (though too much does cause unwanted effects under partial braking) in a straight line and don't go through the same stress as the fronts on entry... This usually leads me to run 5/7-5/9 brake balance settings with ABS on. ABS off? Depends on the car but it's generally around 4/2. This "more rear brake is better" thing actually occurred in GT4 as well; repeated testing through multiple people saw maximum rear brake pressure result in the quickest stopping times but too much front was a bad thing. Rears absolutely would not lock, fronts wouldn't actually lock but they'd overstress themselves... Much like GT5 with ABS on.

Rather easy? Sure. But you've not seen easy until you've driven an R35 with the factory diffs and without excessive power. The NSX at least requires some concentration as to your throttle inputs on S3s. As for chasing ghost laps... Eh, I preferred to chase my friends. 535PP/S3 regs resulted in some of the closest racing I've ever had in any game while being able to run different cars... Most of the time. Then someone actually fast would pull out an NSX/Evora/R35 and walk everyone unless it was at Tsukuba where Imprezas and occasionally Evos would keep up very well.

*sigh* I'm afraid I'm rambling a bit. Sorry for that.

Not high at all, rather low f & r the car is pretty light. I did lock up a few times :D I was pushing her hard. Although 1 corner I overshot a bit and had to dig deep, was more of a slight slide then locking up lol.

There are limits on R Tires too, push her hard enough and you'll find them.

I use my front tires for turning and braking, my rear are stressed enough trying to put power down through the corners. DESPITE what it appears the rear tires even still wear down faster then the front, only it's slower and more balanced with my style..

Even With ABS on, the side with a higher setting is being asked to do more work. It will wear out at a faster rate, not necessarily faster then the other side, but faster then it would with a lower setting. I can lock up the rear with ABS - 1 no problem, most often the lock ups (with my style & tune) are the rear end despite the lower setting. I feel with my style I have much more range of pedal (trigger) with lower settings as higher ones seem to be much too sensitive. It takes some getting used to, but works for me.

Like you said though "different strokes".

Yeah, the GTR is a bit of a yawner, but if I want that kind of excitement I jump in a AMG C63, Hitting 1:05's at TGTT with insane smoke.

But again different strokes. I'm glad we can agree to disagree at times (I hope we can) I find the opposite point of views most enlightening at times.

Coming attractions

NSX Type-R

Cutting up TGTT in 1:06 & Fuji in 1:38 with under 500hp & a DS3. ABS - 1 All assist Off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvPvgbxfjTc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Coming soon - No_OB
I guess this could be considered a good lap for driving with a DS3 but it isnt all that impressive. You cook the tires on almost every turn. The hairpin you had all but one tire red. However you did manage to keep the rear tires from going red exiting turns so you are putting the power down effectively...or your just using tires that are too sticky.

chuyler1
I guess this could be considered a good lap for driving with a DS3 but it isnt all that impressive. You cook the tires on almost every turn. The hairpin you had all but one tire red. However you did manage to keep the rear tires from going red exiting turns so you are putting the power down effectively...or your just using tires that are too sticky.

What are average laps times at Fuji in an NSX Type-R?

It's not supposed to be crazy impressive, just a fast lap. I don't know what people are running at Fuji in their NSX's 1:38 seems like a good time to me with the car. Especially with a DS3.

I do push her as hard as she can go, she keeps the rear in check due to a balanced tune, the fronts might get red under braking (expected) but they still wear down slower then the rear. The tires with the most wear are doing the most work. As with the tune the rears are still wearing down quicker, however it's more balanced for my style.

Last edited:
Ill run some laps tomorrow. Actually, the balance looks great through the first half of the track. Not sure about the hairpin though since the tires went red making you go wide.

chuyler1
Ill run some laps tomorrow. Actually, the balance looks great through the first half of the track. Not sure about the hairpin though since the tires went red making you go wide.

Thanks!

Yeah, that's the corner I was explaining I overshot and had to dig in a lil slide to get my nose set up for the S-turn :D I didn't hit my braking mark, I drive with no driving line & the mark changes as your tires warm up. I was a lil late. But with a lil dig I got my nose set up, this car is so forgiving.

I kept the lap because despite that Dig, I recovered quick and held a fast line to the finish, despite getting ahead in all sectors up to the hairpin (slightly) & running through the hairpin beautifully, the line I held to the finish was too good. I'll run it again tomorrow or later tonight, but the time seems quick, less then a second behind my CSL sitting at 1:37 the CSL with a substantially higher amount of HP.

Last edited:
No hint of understeer with this Tune. I calculated the suspension correction factor for the front and rear, then adjusted the springs factoring in the leverage of the suspension. When they were balanced I tuned the car as I do.
I want to pose just a little thought to think about. And, this goes out to all tuners, not specific to HQT. I know you're a DS3 user and I know you like to justify your tuning with your own driving style, but something you(all) should consider...
Anything that feels 'balanced' to you, can almost positively be assumed to understeer for anyone faster than you. I think this is something many people overlook. They create a tune that they think handles great, but they don't take into consideration how much harder the car is being pushed, by people who drive up to seconds faster per lap.
Just a little food for thought for all tuners.

Anything that feels 'balanced' to you, can almost positively be assumed to understeer for anyone faster than you. I think this is something many people overlook. They create a tune that they think handles great, but they don't take into consideration how much harder the car is being pushed, by people who drive up to seconds faster per lap.
Just a little food for thought for all tuners.

For me it's the opposite!:lol:
I think I should make the cars easier in future, cause it seems that a lot have problems with the tunes (but hey try it and if you can handle it, the tune would be very very fast:sly:).

So I spent an hour in the NSX Type-R last night to see what it was capable of. Didn't own one so I purchased it from the dealer and installed everything. I must say a 1:38 with the DS3 is very impressive. The car is good for a 1:41 by just installing all the mods and taking it to practice mode. I had to max the aero and fiddle with the suspension to get a 1:38.467. I could run 1:39s over and over again with my DFGT but when I finally broke into the 1:38s it was because I pushed turns 4 and 5 real hard (outside front went red). That over aggressiveness was good for 5 10ths and I still posted a quick time despite breaking loose the rear end before the last turn.

Looking back at your run, I'm not sure where the time was gained. I negotiated turn 3 a little faster, perhaps that is it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oo_UF-aR-M

Balanced is balanced. You ever wonder why some cars have weird looking spring rates, lower values on the heavy side. I know why. Lower value does not mean softer ;) it's relative to the correction factor. Figure it out and you can equally stiffen the springs (one click front most often is not = to 1 click rear) then go softer or harder on either side as you wish. IMO Without the correction factor it's a trial and error guessing game. Looking at some cars, Tuners have done a great Job feeling out the springs while on others they seem very unbalanced, and way off... Chuyler1s SR are quite well done, I might add. Good job Chuyler1.

I don't see why I should expect people to be that much faster then I am. I haven't seen it so far. The average driver I can beat with a DFGT or DS3, while some Top Drivers it's more of a challenge with my DS3, keep in mind Im faster with a Wheel (mines broken). I'm not the fastest, I don't have the time to hunt tuning records as I did in GT4, but I'm anything but slow. Or slow enough to expect people to have seconds faster times than I.

Last edited:
Your 1:38 is quick in my book. Clean up the hairpin/chinane in your lap and you'll probably beat my time.

chuyler1
Your 1:38 is quick in my book. Clean up the hairpin/chinane in your lap and you'll probably beat my time.

What was your time? 1:38.4XX, I hit 1:38.021 I believe. I'm sure I can hit 1:37 but You have not beaten my time yet, your nearly half a second behind..

Last edited:
@Chuyler1: It would seem to me that a regear on your car + shifting earlier could shave a fair few tenths off your time. The NSX nosedives as you get into the redline so it wouldn't surprise me to see a few mph better down the straight and better pull between corners. Noobsteer conveniently switched to nose cam + data right as he started braking so I can't tell what speed he was at when he hit the brakes but it wouldn't surprise me for it to be a bit faster than your car. He does appear to be about 3mph faster crossing the line and I'd expect that to get larger further down the straight.

Im holding up alright with my DS3, if somebody blows me away by over a second, it would be impressive for one, but doubtably repeatable by most GT players. While topping it by a few tenths should be doable, it shows the quality of the Tune just how much work that's going to take, I only went to Fuji as an alternative to TGTT for some fun. I posted a fast lap not trying to impress, just show what my upcoming tune can do, having no idea what people are hitting on the track with the car. My time is holding up alright when scrutinized. I might even go back to Fuji this afternoon and shoot to cut .021 out & break into 1:37, it's definitely doable with my Tune if I hit the hairpin better & hold the same line to finish.

Wouldn't mind a run in your tune.

I just ran 30 odd laps and managed a 36.7, with a cobbled together/guessed tune (using stock gears)... haven't got time to run any more laps :(

Stotty

I just ran 30 odd laps and managed a 36.7, with a cobbled together/guessed tune (using stock gears)... haven't got time to run any more laps :(

It will be up in a bit (I'm not home). Nice time BTW. I'd like to see that lap for sure, you've been known to be rather quick with your wheel, I'm not doing too bad with my DS3 am I. I'll have another run at it when I get home see if I can bring the time down when I have something to shoot at :D I only ran the track with her for like 10 min (no tuning), made the vid and jumped into some AC Brotherhood for a bit.

Glad to see every time I post turns into a Shoot out :D

Anybody touch the 1:06 TGTT 22b yet? Or The NSX's 1:06 @ TGTT? As long as this is all in fun and done respectfully.

I'm sure my NSX has proven itself...

I'm not out to prove me or my Tunes are the fastest, just that we can hang with the best of them, and on a DS3.

As soon as I sell my spare iPhone 4G I'll have a new G(something) wheel to drive with.

Last edited:
I think a 38.0 with the pad is a pretty decent time 👍

Didn't mean to turn this in to a 'shoot out', just had a bit of time and I didn't want to get in to a big new project. I don't normally run road cars on anything other than sports tyres, and most of my projects tend to be very high powered cars that are right on the limit of drivability. These cars usually take a lot of time to get right and I didn't really have time for that... but I spotted this and thought it would be quick and easy being a relatively low powered car on super sticky tyres :)

I reckon 35's will be quite easily doable in this car as I was up on my quick 'n' dirty tune ghost a few times before I had to go off and do family stuff!

Won't bother with the TGTT or AWD... neither are my cup of tea!

Stotty
I think a 38.0 with the pad is a pretty decent time 👍

Didn't mean to turn this in to a 'shoot out', just had a bit of time and I didn't want to get in to a big new project. I don't normally run road cars on anything other than sports tyres, and most of my projects tend to be very high powered cars that are right on the limit of drivability. These cars usually take a lot of time to get right and I didn't really have time for that... but I spotted this and thought it would be quick and easy being a relatively low powered car on super sticky tyres :)

I reckon 35's will be quite easily doable in this car as I was up on my quick 'n' dirty tune ghost a few times before I had to go off and do family stuff!

Won't bother with the TGTT or AWD... neither are my cup of tea!

No problem thanks for giving it a go. I hope you try out my set up when posted, I'm curious to see what you could do with it, your rather quick. 10 laps is a lil short. I'll devote more time tonight, and see what I can do with her with a time to shoot at.

Again congrats on the already impressive time.

What was your time? 1:38.4XX, I hit 1:38.021 I believe. I'm sure I can hit 1:37 but You have not beaten my time yet, your nearly half a second behind..
My bad. It was. For some reason I had in my head that you were running a 1:38.8 but I see a previous lap time of 1:38.5 in your video but its hard to tell what time you ran for the current lap because you stopped the video before it updated.

@Chuyler1: It would seem to me that a regear on your car + shifting earlier could shave a fair few tenths off your time. The NSX nosedives as you get into the redline so it wouldn't surprise me to see a few mph better down the straight and better pull between corners. Noobsteer conveniently switched to nose cam + data right as he started braking so I can't tell what speed he was at when he hit the brakes but it wouldn't surprise me for it to be a bit faster than your car. He does appear to be about 3mph faster crossing the line and I'd expect that to get larger further down the straight.

I couldn't tell following my ghost if shifting at or before redline was quicker. I tried a few times to catch my ghost by shifting earlier and it didn't help me. Transmission was stock and could probably use some work. LSD was stock too since I didn't have time to mess with it. I also didn't have the engine broken in. I literally went right from the dealer to practice mode.

Very nice. I wasn't going to get close to that with out some serious changes. Turns 3, 4, and 5 are key. Getting maximum high speed grip for those turns will definitely help my tune.

Anyway, I'll give No_ob's tune a run when he posts it to see how I do in it.

Here's the replay if you want a ghost to chase...

Attachments

• GTP_Stotty NSX Type R 02 Fuji 1'36.7.zip
    1.7 MB · Views: 12
Anybody touch the 1:06 TGTT 22b yet? Or The NSX's 1:06 @ TGTT? As long as this is all in fun and done respectfully.

Hmm, yah I did a 1:05.355 in my 2. or 3. lap without red flag (NSX).
I hate this track! I don't know how anybody can like this piece of crap! Almost every lap was red flagged and I didn't know why.....:banghead::mad:

Oh yeah I used RKMs tune, but in my opinion the tune is just too soft and wobbles too much (You can see in the replay that it caused some mistakes and finally prevented a better time).

I look forward to your tune, seems to be great!👍

Back