Is GT7 fast becoming the worst of the GT Series?

• Thread starter Tuono_GT
  • 882 comments
Im saying that scaling up issues with online games is a mixed bag, I’ve yet to see one game launch with perfect servers etc on day 1, doubly so when you have external factors that dictate how those things get tested or when they do.

Huh so on-line issues of varying degrees in games during the pandemic is just made up? Like there are tons of examples you’re calling out something so specific when clearly they have outlined they are planning to update lobbies etc and that was clearly one thing that they admitted needed more work and updates. Hell look at the known issues they KNOW lobbies and online needs work lol. So you litigating at launch issues when across the board games have had various online issues it’s just weird.

Answer my question, don't talk around it. I'll repeat it for you.

Name ANOTHER PLAYSTATION (not named GT7) game released during the pandemic that LACKED THE ABILITY TO CHANGE COURSES AND/OR MAPS...

Last edited:
Im saying that scaling up issues with online games is a mixed bag, I’ve yet to see one game launch with perfect servers etc on day 1, doubly so when you have external factors that dictate how those things get tested or when they do.
No. I'm not going to allow you to move the goal posts.

Nobody asked for and/or expected for the servers to be perfect on Day1. The lobby system is/was missing features that should have been there on DAY 1. That not SERVER CAPACITY PROBLEM. That's a MAJOR DEVELOPMENT oversight.

Last edited:
My opinion about the subject is that Gt7 have the best base of all GT games, gameplay being the most important aspect.

Regarding all the bugs and missing features, lets hope PD solve the issues, lobbys are the priority i guess cause its a short term issue and can become a long term issue that can ruin the communitys that keep the game alive.

But its just normal nowadays, since i started to play online games on PC that this happens, online features and the complexity behind this modern games just make this a standart for every game focused on online and long term evolution.

Its just odd for many console players that are no used to this reality, i started to play MMorpgs since i was a teenager, that was between 20/30 years ago on PC, its just normal, new content new bugs.., now people use DLC back in the day we called it updates or expansions and with them all the problems attached.

The most common problem we had with new content was client issues, basically people couldnt even log to the game in first days, no one died that i know, im still alive XD

People and internet this days its all about the drama.
Sure but the console space is totally different than the PC community. PD isn't some small-time developer with minimal financial backing. They're backed by the largest gaming company in the world and has largely only made ONE game for 25 years now... It's inexcusable.

Answer my question, don't talk around it. I'll repeat it for you.

Name ANOTHER PLAYSTATION (not named GT7) game released during the pandemic that LACKED THE ABILITY TO CHANGE COURSES AND/OR MAPS...
You are very angry not sure why you are trying to have some weird gotcha saying name another game that doesn’t have X ability when it’s clearly a specific issue, which doesn’t mean other games also didn’t have certain issues related to online being either missing features etc. like it’s bizarre you think that because this game has a specific issue.
I can give you several games that have launched with with missing online features however that have been updated in the recent months. Which is exactly what’s going on here. And yes look you figured it out development issues which has hampered damn near everyone in the industry.

It’s less a development oversight and more they prioritized other parts of the game vs lobbies that’s pretty much it. You think they should’ve prioritized lobbies earlier that’s pretty much it.

You are very angry not sure why you are trying to have some weird gotcha saying name another game that doesn’t have X ability when it’s clearly a specific issue, which doesn’t mean other games also didn’t have certain issues related to online being either missing features etc. like it’s bizarre you think that because this game has a specific issue.
I can give you several games that have launched with with missing online features however that have been updated in the recent months. Which is exactly what’s going on here. And yes look you figured it out development issues which has hampered damn near everyone in the industry.

It’s less a development oversight and more they prioritized other parts of the game vs lobbies that’s pretty much it. You think they should’ve prioritized lobbies earlier that’s pretty much it.
I'm not angry at all.

You're just making **** up and can't prove your points beyond hyperbole. You state that you can give examples but have yet to provide any. And you still have yet to answer my question.

If you're so knowledgeable and sure of yourself, answer my question. Don't move the goal posts, answer my question verbatim.

Last edited:
Thats more you than me. I’m very calm and reasonable about what’s going on and you are going full pitchfork. But go off.
Answer the question...

It's amusing because you're doing everything but answering it. The answer to that question destroys your nonsensical argument lol. Everyone reading this and liking my posts can see that except you lol.

Last edited:
Scaling up testing (stress tests) are most certainly done remotely, full disclosure - back when they actually bothered I was a Sony Beta tester, the vast majority of which was testing the net-code and lobby features for a range of titles (including past GTs). Covid would have had zero impact on how that work was carried out, it was all remote, fdrom selection to participate, to deployment, to feedback, all through alpha and beta stages.

Now given that GT7 is based on GTS, the reason you are using simply doesn't stack up, add in that three of the five development years were not during Covid, and what you're presenting just doesn't add up. Nor does claiming that all other titles are just as bad, particularly those release during Covid, as the issues with Netcode and the removal of features from it are not seen across other titles globally. Take FM5 as an example, it's issues with on-line have been minute in comparison to the mess that GT7 is in, yet that launched during Covid.

Had GT7 been a ground up rebuild some of what you saying would hold up, but its not.

Last edited:
Scaling up testing (stress tests) are most certainly done remotely, full disclosure - back when they actually bothered I was a Sony Beta tester, the vast majority of which was testing the net-code and lobby features for a range of titles (including past GTs). Covid would have had zero impact on how that work was carried out, it was all remote, fdrom selection to participate, to deployment, to feedback, all through alpha and beta stages.

Now given that GT7 is based on GTS, the reason you are using simply doesn't stack up, add in that three of the five development years were not during Covid, and what you're presenting just doesn't add up. Nor does claiming that all other titles are just as bad, particularly those release during Covid, as the issues with Netcode and the removal of features from it are not seen across other titles at all. Take FM5 as an example, it's issues with on-line have been minute in comparison to the mess that GT7 is in, yet that launched during Covid.

Had GT7 been a ground up rebuild some of what you saying would hold up, but its not.
even if they forked some stuff from sport it’s clearly still a ground up rebuild in certain cases while taking some features they had in sport and yes many titles in various genres has shipped with feature related issues missing.
Halo, horizon, Elden ring etc all have had various promised features or major fixes that have/had longer lead times.

But ultimately the biggest reason is that lobbies weren’t the main priority till now based on their know issues list which is much all multiplayer related so I expect all of that to be fixed.

even if they forked some stuff from sport it’s clearly still a ground up rebuild in certain cases while taking some features they had in sport and yes many titles in various genres has shipped with feature related issues missing.
Halo, horizon, Elden ring etc all have had various promised features or major fixes that have/had longer lead times.

But ultimately the biggest reason is that lobbies weren’t the main priority till now based on their know issues list which is much all multiplayer related so I expect all of that to be fixed.
It's clear to me and everyone else that you don't know what you're talking about and that your pride won't allow you to realize it.

Respond to the moderator above who worked beta-tested (unpaid) for Sony and has an understanding of network communication systems that you clearly lack, as evidenced by this gem of a post. It's hard to test online functionality while online...?

b8edcfd6dd79720249b61853c178e8dca5-surejan.2x.h473.w710.jpg

platocplx:

All games that have shipped in the pandemic have had things lacking esp when it comes to online which is hard to test remotely.

Last edited:
If they forked some of it off from GTS then it's not a ground up rebuild, the degree of missing features and poor netcode is also worse than the most compariable titl ein your list, which is Forza.

Nor does, to be 100% clear, whataboutism excuse the state than GT7's on-line is in.
And who set those priorities? That would be PD, as such they are responsible for the issues, and the current state of the title, and that's the state it will be judged on. where it is now.

To use a direct example, I was a massive BF player, had been for years, but I'm not going to give BF2042 a pass because of what it might become. I judge it on the spectacular mess it is right now, I don't point to other titles and say 'well they messed up a bit as well'. No, I hold the developer/publisher to account for the utter mess they created, and I see no reason not to do the same with PD/Sony with regard to GT7.

Let's also be clear that your claim was "online which is hard to test remotely", which is, to be blunt, utter nonsense. Quite the opposite is true, local testing of on-line is the wrong way to go about it, as it will give you far more false-positives than large-scale remote testing will ever give you.

who worked for Sony
To be 100% clear I was a public beta tester, so not employed by Sony and not paid. I did it because I love video games. Sony ran the programme for over a decade (PS3 through to PS4), and you had to be active in both signing up to tests and providing feedback to stay on the programme. 95% of all the alpha and beta tests I did were for on-line, alpha was mainly about testing functionality and features, while beta tests were mainly about stress tests.

Last edited:
If they forked some of it off from GTS then it's not a ground up rebuild, the degree of missing features and poor netcode is also worse than the most compariable titl ein your list, which is Forza.

Nor does, to be 100% clear, whataboutism excuse the state than GT7's on-line is in.

And who set those priorities? That would be PD, as such they are responsible for the issues, and the current state of the title, and that's the state it will be judged on. where it is now.

To use a direct example, I was a massive BF player, had been for years, but I'm not going to give BF2042 a pass because of what it might become. I judge it on the spectacular mess it is right now, I don't point to other titles and say 'well they messed up a bit as well'. No, I hold the developer/publisher to account for the utter mess they created, and I see no reason not to do the same with PD/Sony with regard to GT7.

Let's also be clear that your claim was "online which is hard to test remotely", which is, to be blunt, utter nonsense. Quite the opposite is true, local testing of on-line is the wrong way to go about it, as it will give you far more false-positives than large-scale remote testing will ever give you.

To be 100% clear I was a public beta tester, so not employed by Sony and not paid. I did it because I love video games. Sony ran the programme for over a decade (PS3 through to PS4), and you had to be active it both signing up to tests and providing feedback to stay on the programme.
When I claimed that I was basing it on not just beta testing, but all the things also around testing it, so if you want me to elaborate Im saying that remote work did complicate that for a lot of titles, and its not just solely the online features alone but many features across the board, also BF is a totally different story than this game and we all know its more based on the direction they took that game to be a mess.

And to be clear ground up in development imo is more that will bring forward and reuse a lot or a little of certain code and bring stuff there is not a dev out there that throws away everything to make games from scratch if its iterating over previous titles. Ground up is more for totally new concepts Imo.

Its one thing which is fine to judge them on shipping certain things that some expected day 1, but we both know modders see the features there in the games debug state that the user is upset about. So its clear its less a lack of them never having said feature and more they depriortized the feature at launch and are still working through issues with it.

When I claimed that I was basing it on not just beta testing, but all the things also around testing it, so if you want me to elaborate Im saying that remote work did complicate that for a lot of titles, and its not just solely the online features alone but many features across the board,
You were taking about online testing, I've quoted your exact words, so please don't try and retcon what everyone can clearly read.

"online which is hard to test remotely"

Testing online functionality and features remotely is, and has been, standard for Sony and it's studios for well over a decade (since the PS3). I know, I did it.
also BF is a totally different story than this game and we all know its more based on the direction they took that game to be a mess.
You're moving goalposts now.
And to be clear ground up in development imo is more that will bring forward and reuse a lot or a little of certain code and bring stuff there is not a dev out there that throws away everything to make games from scratch if its iterating over previous titles. Ground up is more for totally new concepts Imo.
So you would agree that it's far more likely that the majority of it has come from GTS.
Its one thing which is fine to judge them on shipping certain things that some expected day 1, but we both know modders see the features there in the games debug state that the user is upset about. So its clear its less a lack of them never having said feature and more they depriortized the feature at launch and are still working through issues with it.
Sorry, but that's ********. PD themselves sold GT7 as the most complete GT title to date, as such expecting to have lobby features from day one that existed in numerous past titles in the series has nothing to do with data miners, and everything to do with expectations that PD set themselves.

You were taking about online testing, I've quoted your exact words, so please don't try and retcon what everyone can clearly read.

"online which is hard to test remotely"

Testing online functionality and features remotely is, and has been, standard for Sony and it's studios for well over a decade (since the PS3). I know, I did it.

You're moving goalposts now.

So you would agree that it's far more likely that the majority of it has come from GTS.

Sorry, but that's ********. PD themselves sold GT7 as the most complete GT title to date, as such expecting to have lobby features from day one that existed in numerous past titles in the series has nothing to do with data miners, and everything to do with expectations that PD set themselves.
yes, but again just because you did it then and now, there clearly have been things that hurt workflows… and again even with all the testing you even admitted yourself games still had certain degrees of glitches at launch.

And yes some would have came from GTS, we see that with how the setup is with sport and then they would have extended it which always will introuduce unexpected things, further with also needing to have crossplay for the title. And yes GT did say it was the most complete title which in ways it is, and features not being fully ready at launch doesnt mean it Wont have the completed features That clearly they needed more time.

With all that said my whole thing was that the lack of something at launch is not saying there is no issue, or there is clear issues And its more that clearly they had some dev issues with lobbies And online as a whole compounded with the things that went on in the world last 2 years.

yes, but again just because you did it then and now, there clearly have been things that hurt workflows… and again even with all the testing you even admitted yourself games still had certain degrees of glitches at launch.
Indeed, less than has been found with GT7, as I have repeatedly said.
And yes some would have came from GTS, we see that with how the setup is with sport and then they would have extended it which always will introuduce unexpected things, further with also needing to have crossplay for the title.
They didn't extend it, they have literally reduced it.
And yes GT did say it was the most complete title which in ways it is, and features not being fully ready at launch doesnt mean it Wont have the completed features That clearly they needed more time.
Then it's not the most complete title is it. It takes some absurd mental gymnastics to judge a title on what it may become, at some undetermined time in the future, rather than basing it one what we objectively and quantifiably have right now, in front of us. Even more so when it's PD, who have a track record of not delivering (either whole or partially) on promises for future features.

With all that said my whole thing was that the lack of something at launch is not saying there is no issue, or there is clear issues And its more that clearly they had some dev issues with lobbies And online as a whole compounded with the things that went on in the world last 2 years.
Once again, it's been in development for five years, not two, and its based on a title that was started development nearly a decade ago. As such it is 100% reasonable to hold PD both responsible and accountable for the issues and missing features than GT7 has, particularly those around on-line and lobbies, the two areas that woudl have been least affected by the events of the last two years!

Indeed, less than has been found with GT7, as I have repeatedly said.

They didn't extend it, they have literally reduced it.

Then it's not the most complete title is it. It takes some absurd mental gymnastics to judge a title on what it may become, at some undetermined time in the future, rather than basing it one what we objectively and quantifiably have right now, in front of us. Even more so when it's PD, who have a track record of not delivering (either whole or partially) on promises for future features.

Once again, it's been in development for five years, not two, and its based on a title that was started development nearly a decade ago. As such it is 100% reasonable to hold PD both responsible and accountable for the issues and missing features than GT7 has, particularly those around on-line and lobbies, the two areas that woudl have been least affected by the events of the last two years!
Being in Dev for 5 years doesnt erase the 2 its been in dev during the pandemic. Like I was saying before and sure they can be held accountable for it However, imo i see across most games and seen all have issues and even sony games launching in states that havent been a norm which is why I feel the way I feel about it. You can see it as how you feel and by all means go off. But realistically thats what I see it as. Hell I even have a new car coming that will ship without a new part. this stuff is unprecedented times across the board.

Last edited:
My opinion about the subject is that Gt7 have the best base of all GT games, gameplay being the most important aspect.

Regarding all the bugs and missing features, lets hope PD solve the issues, lobbys are the priority i guess cause its a short term issue and can become a long term issue that can ruin the communitys that keep the game alive.

But its just normal nowadays, since i started to play online games on PC that this happens, online features and the complexity behind this modern games just make this a standart for every game focused on online and long term evolution.

Its just odd for many console players that are no used to this reality, i started to play MMorpgs since i was a teenager, that was between 20/30 years ago on PC, its just normal, new content new bugs.., now people use DLC back in the day we called it updates or expansions and with them all the problems attached.

The most common problem we had with new content was client issues, basically people couldnt even log to the game in first days, no one died that i know, im still alive XD

People and internet this days its all about the drama.
Is AI not part of the base of any racing game? GT never had great AI but it's worse than ever in GT7. It's what's keeping me away for the time being. Dynamic weather is awesome, yet the AI either ignores it or drives in a slow procession because they didn't read the radar and are caught out on slicks. Then they change back early and completely ignore the dry line again.

Yes, Everquest had server crashes almost daily after an update, back in 1999. It's 2022 now, why am I still getting random disconnects in GT games... At least games came complete on day 1 back in the day. And afaik GT7 isn't an mmorpg :) But maybe Sony sees it that way? Waiting for Ruins of Kunark to get added :P

The server stability is only a small part of the game's problems, single player has tons of issues as well.

To be 100% clear I was a public beta tester, so not employed by Sony and not paid. I did it because I love video games. Sony ran the programme for over a decade (PS3 through to PS4), and you had to be active in both signing up to tests and providing feedback to stay on the programme. 95% of all the alpha and beta tests I did were for on-line, alpha was mainly about testing functionality and features, while beta tests were mainly about stress tests.
My apologies, I didn't mean to insinuate that your role was greater than you described.

I was merely attempting to highlight your level of first-hand experience as having more weight than the opinions (informed or otherwise) of myself and of the other poster.

Being in Dev for 5 years doesnt erase the 2 its been in dev during the pandemic. Like I was saying before.
I didn't say it did, but it does factually mean that 60% of the dev time (actually more because of migrated code) was done outside the pandemic, a fact you seem to ignore.

My apologies, I didn't mean to insinuate that your role was greater than you described.

I was merely attempting to highlight your level of first-hand experience as having more weight than the opinions (informed or otherwise) of myself and of the other poster.
Nothing to apologise for, just wanted to be transparent, and if any fault exists, then it's with me for not being clear enough in the first place.

I didn't say it did, but it does factually mean that 60% of the dev time (actually more because of migrated code) was done outside the pandemic, a fact you seem to ignore.
Even 60% of code most projects have a ramp up in resources over time thats typically how projects go At least all the ones ive been apart of. So the last few years are dev are the most heaviest times of dev vs the early years of dev with prototyping, determining timelines, features you want etc.
Again I can concede there are issues, and im not even debating that. Just overall its very clear this isnt an isolated thing.

Last edited:
Being in Dev for 5 years doesnt erase the 2 its been in dev during the pandemic. Like I was saying before and sure they can be held accountable for it However, imo i see across most games and seen all have issues and even sony games launching in states that havent been a norm which is why I feel the way I feel about it. You can see it as how you feel and by all means go off. But realistically thats what I see it as. Hell I even have a new car coming that will ship without a new part. this stuff is unprecedented times across the board.
If the pandemic was so rough for them, how'd they find the dev time to remove existing features and create new systems that serve no other purpose but to make them more money?

Nothing to apologise for, just wanted to be transparent, and if any fault exists, then it's with me for not being clear enough in the first place.
Nope! It's no problem at all, I appreciate the correction. I edited my previous post to strikeout my mischaracterization and added the proper descriptor. Just in case someone comes behind us and reads it later.

Again I can concede there are issues, and im not even debating that. Just overall its very clear this isnt an isolated thing.
Honesty; you are debating that. You’re repeatedly attempting to justify the state of the game as is, right in the face of Scaff’s saliently argued points.

It’s tragic that we’re in a place that having paid an absolute premium for a product, promises aren’t kept by the developer and some become ardent apologists, despite all reasonable logic.

Last edited:
Honesty; you are debating that. You’re repeatedly attempting to justify the state of the game as is, right in the face of Scaff’s saliently argued points.

It’s tragic that we’re in a place that having paid an absolute premium for a product, promises aren’t kept by the developer and some become ardent apologists, despite all reasonable logic.
It's the reason PD did it, they know people will not only accept it but defend it.
I've accepted my role in this stupidity and admitted that I broke my rule about NEVER preordering games. I allowed myself to get swept up in the marketing lies and paid the price. It won't happen again with GT8, if I purchase it at all.

Last edited:
Even 60% of code most projects have a ramp up in resources over time thats typically how projects go At least all the ones ive been apart of. So the last few years are dev are the most heaviest times of dev vs the early years of dev with prototyping, determining timelines, features you want etc.
None of which change the fact that online testing isn't 'hard to do remotely' and would have been far less affected by the pandemic, nor that you have repeatedly ignored the fact that features have been removed from lobbies and that developmnet time existsed outside of the two years you have focused on.
Again I can concede there are issues, and im not even debating that.
Your posts paint a different story.
Just overall its very clear this isnt an isolated thing.
More 'whataboutism'.

I have a question about an issue that is affecting me since day one of GT7: here it goes. Specially in the lobbies, I'm having this issue where the game kind of "freezes" for a random interval between 0,5 up to 7 seconds, and when that happens I lose tons of race time because for me the game stops, but for everyone eles the race goes on, I believe it is not lag, because when the game is running "normally" I don't see cars flying or bouncing around. To solve this I have tried; 1, installed an SSD on the PS4, 2 chagned the ISP provider, 3 cleaned the PS4 and renewed the thermal paste, 4 Improved the ventilation and moved the PS4 to a much cooler place, 5 changed all the LAN cat6 cables of my router and PS4. The issue was somewhat reduced by a certain amount, but it still happens in the lobbies quite often, but during daily/GTWS races it may happen once or not at all during an entire event. With other games like GT Sport, Bloodborne, Dark Souls 3, FF7 Remake there is no sign of this issue at all. I've had to quit two leage tournaments because of this. If anyone else is having the same problem, or something like this and have found a fix or workaround, please help. Thank you all!

None of which change the fact that online testing isn't 'hard to do remotely' and would have been far less affected by the pandemic, nor that you have repeatedly ignored the fact that features have been removed from lobbies and that developmnet time existsed outside of the two years you have focused on.

Your posts paint a different story.

More 'whataboutism'.
We dont know their full dev schedule, but I can tell you based off the footage they showed from just 2020 to late 2021 to the state of play there were significant things they worked on, so this really isnt just based on a hunch. That a lot of the major dev was happening at the back End of dev in the last few years, on top of also making the native PS5 version in which they got dev kits around 2018 which does further impact dev. Its not just one issue alone but a series of things. You can go off about it, but again looking at the full lifecycle of development of damn near anything game related its not totally full bore from year one And the pandemic has be clearly documented as causing challenges across the industry so you can keep calling it whataboutism or whatever but its a fact.

Last edited:
We dont know their full dev schedule, but I can tell you based off the footage they showed from just 2020 to late 2021 to the state of play there were significant things they worked on, so this really isnt just based on a hunch. That a lot of the major dev was happening at the back End of dev in the last few years, on top of also making the native PS5 version in which they got dev kits around 2018 which does further impact dev. Its not just one issue alone but a series of things. You can go off about it, but again looking at the full lifecycle of development of damn near anything game related its not totally full bore from year one And the pandemic has be clearly documented as causing challenges across the industry so you can keep calling it whataboutism or whatever but its a fact.
Challenges that have not had the exact same impact on all devs, that's the point.

BF 2042 is a mess online, COD isn't.

GT7 is a mess online, FH5 and Grid Legends aren't.

All these devs faced the same challenges over the last two years of their respective dev cycles, some of them managed to get product out the door while minimising issues, some of them didn't. Using the minor issues most titles have to excuse the serious issues in the likes of GT7 and BF2042 is classic 'whataboutism' and excuses PD (and Dice) from development choices and decisions they made!

Lastly - I know our time is wrapping up - there's been a lot going on in the world over the last 18 months. How has that impacted the development of Gran Turismo, and how have you kind of been able to deal with that?

Kazunori Yamauchi:
Polyphony Digital is a company that's run like a family, so we're fairly strong during times of crisis like this. So in that way, relatively speaking I don't think we were affected by COVID as much. Actually, COVID gave me an opportunity to drive my cars more. I still drive on the Tokyo Expressway every night in my Porsche GT3

Last edited:
Back