Is GT7 fast becoming the worst of the GT Series?

• Thread starter Tuono_GT
  • 882 comments
Pretty disappointed by the update, and a bit embarrassed I got hyped for it after finding out the Escudo was coming back.

Very wild they'd add new menus that doesn't require racing, it's just "collect X cars, get a prize." The new races are kind of meh, I'm not sure why they don't just take 15 minutes from one guy to replicate the settings of one hour and half hour Spa to every other track. My point of contention now is that I wasn't sold on the actual state of the game at launch, but on its potential, and after 4 major updates now I think we've got a good grasp of the pace that potential will be realized, and right now that means it'll be years, if ever.

Also 3 updates of adding new races, all of which seem to have really bad payouts have convinced me that the addition of the Spa & others races would solely a one-time thing they felt pressured to do to take the heat off of themselves, and they're just reverting back to how they want the game to be.
Pretty much this entire post. I no longer see this game improving significantly even after years' worth of updates.

GT7's problems sit deep at its core, the main being its overwhelming lack of single player content and an economy that's absurdly broken on purpose. And the sad part is, it's no longer concerning. This quite simply is it; this is Gran Turismo 7.

A game by a studio that is unwilling to change so much as how they communicate with their fanbase since GT5's release date where online updates became a thing for the series. I joined this forum 11 years ago and it's hilarious that I can write "Start communicating, god dammit, it's 2022" in the exact same way, with the exact same validity as I'd write a similar gripe a literal decade ago. This has to be a conscious effort on their part, it's impossible to accidentally be so bad at something for this long.

I understand how with their visual obsession it's difficult to prepare content more significant than 3 cars in one month and one new track in four months. Credit where it's due - Watkins Glen is a desperately needed chunk of brand-new content and a very welcome new addition. Kudos to PoDi for this one and I mean it.

I don't understand, however, how after one month we get 3 new races, 3 new menu books that don't introduce any new races, and basic Quality of Life changes that should have been in the game on release. What amount of effort needs to go into preparing a single event that PoDi can only average out 1 in days? What is their team doing? I admit though, the new menus are a decent way to incentivize collecting cars, and a nice reward bait to make use of the used car dealership.

PoDi really aren't giving me many reasons for optimism, and I hate to have to contribute to the negativity surrounding this game. I am trying to like GT7 but I am unable to tell what they are focusing on for this game's development cycle. What direction do they want to take the game over the next few years, or even months? Are they merely unaware or completely uninterested in the game's actual problems and how their competitors do things? It just makes no sense.

Last edited:
Hey dude read my comments, I never said this is a good Gran Turismo. In fact, I think this game, like GT Sport doesn't deserve the title. Missing so many classic circuits and the car list is abysmal, just like the career mode. I think the game should definitely have a great career too. That's part of GT.
Fair enough I misunderstood what you were saying.

Anyway, the nail in the coffin for me is always gameplay, and this has nothing new. It's lesser than it's predecessor. It brings nothing new going back all the way to GT3.

GTSport gave us the DR/SR/Pentaly system - Love it or hate it, it changed things.
GT6 gave us Quick Race, the predecessor to Sport mode.
GT5 gave us online
GT4 gave us B-Spec

Collecting isn't game play.

Last edited:
Pretty disappointed by the update, and a bit embarrassed I got hyped for it after finding out the Escudo was coming back.

Very wild they'd add new menus that doesn't require racing, it's just "collect X cars, get a prize." The new races are kind of meh, I'm not sure why they don't just take 15 minutes from one guy to replicate the settings of one hour and half hour Spa to every other track. My point of contention now is that I wasn't sold on the actual state of the game at launch, but on its potential, and after 4 major updates now I think we've got a good grasp of the pace that potential will be realized, and right now that means it'll be years, if ever.

Also 3 updates of adding new races, all of which seem to have really bad payouts have convinced me that the addition of the Spa & others races would solely a one-time thing they felt pressured to do to take the heat off of themselves, and they're just reverting back to how they want the game to be.
100% agree

Couldn't have put it any better than that. Pretty much the reason why I'm not turning on the game again. PD are a big joke.

GT5 and 6 were both amazing in terms of content, but GT6 had slightly more. There were certain cars/tracks exclusive to either, but I think I had the most fun on GT5. All the tracks from the games history have to return otherwise it can't be considered a proper GT game.
GT6 ditched procedural rally races which I quite enjoyed. Also the longer endurance races were left behind. I think track editor was added back in later but I had already moved on to ps4 before then. The biggest problem was, launch of GT6 split the user base, the regular online lobbies I used to race in disappeared and I never found a good replacement for them in GT6. GT6 killed GT5 :/

And now GT7 has pretty much killed GTS. Monthly daily races with matchmaking from A+ to D. And despite being on its last breath, it's still better than racing in GT7 sport mode.

Agreed on the track list. Where are all the city tracks and other classics.

Yeah this update completely killed any desire to continue playing. I'm going back to the old trusty PC. 1 update a month with 40 minutes of single player content is not enough to hold my interest. Not to mention hardly any core issues being fixed. All this update did is piss me off with how much it lacks and confirm to me that Polyphony and Yamauchi are THE most frustratingly anti-consumer, mind numbingly ignorant and stupid developers to try and hold any hope in.

The glen is cool and all, but once more there is hardly any races for it

Come July 1 - GT7 will be deleted, and F1 22 installed.

Sad but true.

Last edited:
OK, so you've done all your Licences, completed the Cafe Menu and done every circuit race/challenge… what now?

The Weekly races are only good for so long and even shorter if you keep getting nailed by the penalty system for no good reason.

After all, how can you be penalised (track limits, for example) when some neanderthal deliberately punts you off the circuit. And, because of said same neanderthal you lose your ‘clean race’ factor. Seriously? I could go on but I’m sure you’ve all experienced the same in one form or another.

Is it just me or was (apologies... I can’t actually remember which one) GT5 or 6 way better in terms of decent content? Everything just appears to be so limited right now and I for one am getting a little frustrated, especially with the Bugs in the system.
Content is average but I can live with that. It's the terrible force feedback for the fanatec dd1 that is stopping me playing it. There is no real feel and it feels dead in high speed corners. I've spent hours playing with the settings but it still feels dead!

Yeah this update completely killed any desire to continue playing. I'm going back to the old trusty PC. 1 update a month with 40 minutes of single player content is not enough to hold my interest. Not to mention hardly any core issues being fixed. All this update did is piss me off with how much it lacks and confirm to me that Polyphony and Yamauchi are THE most frustratingly anti-consumer, mind numbingly ignorant and stupid developers to try and hold any hope in.

The glen is cool and all, but once more there is hardly any races for it

Come July 1 - GT7 will be deleted, and F1 22 installed.

Sad but true.
I agree with you .... this update Killed my desire to play..all the time some problems...I am ok, they dont want to give really special content...
what kill my desire is..on one update my g923 feels great and has great steering..and other updates, feel like joke..1.16 was good...1.17 bad again..how can I improve? if they kill my performance all the time...
and I hope f1 22 will be great, because gt7 is the worst what I have played...gt sport was weird but I could drive well...never had an issues...gt7 changes all the time...I am happy for people who enjoy this game..and sad for people who threw their money away...
if gt8 comes out...and I hope it's not...they dont have my support

Just MY THINKING, AND MY OPINNION

Last edited:
I really like it 🤷🏻‍♂️ I think most people on here have incredibly unrealistic expectations of what a driving game ‘should’ be.

Nothing will ever compare to the disappointment of Project Cars 2.
The frustration though is most of us have a realistic expectation because it's just Gran Turismo 7, but with the issues missing. I don't think I know a single hater who denies the core of the game is fantastic (and I think this fact drives a lot of the frustration into a frenzy).

The expectation is just what we have now, with more content for the single player people, and at least parity with GT:Sport in online and lobby functionality generally speaking. All of the hard work of making the core engine, the physics, the cars and tracks we have so far is monumental compared to most of the stuff that gets complained about. It's aggravating knowing the game very feasibly could become a phenomenal title if the team approached it seriously, so we're left reading tea leaves trying to figure out "will they pull it off?"

GT6 to me and also none of what you are saying more indicates going backwards when you are saying sport needing an overhaul(which is a totally different discussion because now you have a totally diff vision for the game). When it comes to Lobbies clearly they know they have issues, hell, look at the known issues list.

AI is a mixed bag but damn near every racer has issues with AI either from rubberbanding or some of the stuff where they may just keep a racing line and that’s it etc also when you keep going way back to ps3 era idk what to tell you lol.

Like I said from what sport ended to what GT7 is now there isn’t so much as backwards vs a similar trajectory and GT7 today is missing lobby features with PD stating albeit vaguely they have plans for lobbies.

The PP system will have people finding exploits and holes plugged for a while it’s damn near impossible to find every issue with your model during development, hell in my line of work I’m cleaning up data models all the time when you have unexpected results.

Like I get having gripes, I can admit there are issues but the hyperbolic nature of some of the discourse over the game is not really constructive and leans deeply into people having all this nostalgia for things past and totally ignoring the advances made in these kinds of games and facing the reality that either the direction of a series isn’t for them any more or embrace and constructively go forward with what is realistic for not only this game but a myriad of other games(I see these same convos when it comes to RPGS, FPS games etc).

And what really I see is that PD will enhance the Lobbies to match up with what you can do with custom games today, work to stabilize online, refine their PP model, add more content in the various areas of the game etc.

I know it’s popular discourse in certain spaces for people to pile on the game for whatever reason.

But I’m just one guy but I’m realistic about this stuff and from my perspective it’s not as dire as some make it seem and the future for GT is pretty bright to me esp looking at the car racing genre as a whole.
Agreed, although I don't think that your opinion will be shared by many. The game so far is great. The magnificent GT5 that keeps coming up did not roll out that way, however the difference was "social media", gripe City. Updates were coming all the time on GT5 and great it was too. Also GTS did not roll out perfectly, so if people can try to remember these things and be a tad more positive then the future of GT will be safe.

And (C'mon son) the 32 Ford handles better than many of the rear drive cars that the game launched with.

This suggests that they didn't properly test the cars (again).

I have said it before, and I will need some strong convincing to the contrary, GT is a low budget, low manpower title. The proof is everywhere.

In the production triangle (fast, good, cheap), fast has never been a focus (with 3-4 year cycles). Good? Well, it reuses a lot from release to release, it adds little, and there are curious ommisions (like basic testing of new cars). That only leaves "cheap" as the predominant quality.

Last edited:
New update certainly didnt do much for me. Admittedly got pretty excited for the Escudo but was really hoping(though fleeting) to see the track of its namesake return as a surprise. Was extremely disappointed in the 'Extra' Menu Books but hey, at least I finally got an engine lol. If anything, the update got me to turn on the game this month and put it an hour or so. Probably sit it out again until the next update.

For me, the frustrating thing is the decisions that were made that just don't make any sense. I wish I could sit at a table with the developers and get concrete reasons why they did certain things. I don't think I'm entitled to anything. A developer can do whatever they want with their property, and I don't have to buy it. BUT, I feel like PD keep peppering their feet with bullet holes for NO reason with the decisions they make, and it honestly just frustrates me. A couple of my gripes that I'm sure have been repeated:

• Why the cafe menu books? Why the cafe PERIOD? Who complained about the way the events were structured in the previous games?
  • Why hide all the events in a world map instead of grouping the races within the event like in every previous game?
  • Why are there no events for GR2 cars?
  • Why are FF, FR, and AWD races LIMITED to their nationality? Why no MR races at all?
  • Why am I locked to preset time and weather in my time trials (Like in GT6) when I can set many more options in a custom race?
  • Why can't I turn off instant replay for every single time my car moves more than 5 ft. on the track before I exit?
  • Why do factory decals disappear if I just want to paint my car (or even just a part of it)?
  • Why can I only see the paint colors I want to purchase on 3 cars?
  • Why can't I use carbon paint only on certain areas like the mirrors (instead of the whole car or nothing)
  • Why have a roulette system at all? Just give me a random reward for a daily workout. Why bother showing me other "possibilities" if there's basically no chance I'll receive them? All it does is create disappointment.
  • Why hide core tuning possibilities within this roulette system? Here in the real world, if I want to put a different engine in my car, I don't have to put my name in a hat at the local engine supplier.
  • Why did you remove the corner cones? What did they ever do to you?
  • Why did you severely limit the amount I can adjust the cockpit camera from GT Sport?
  • Why must I always start last? Why can't we have grid starts like the 2 races which are still actually challenging?
  • Why do I no longer feel a sense of progression and satisfaction that came with the other games because I'm locked to what your cafe says I can do instead of letting me choose my own path?
  • Why create an economy that is supposed to replicate real car values, with un-realistic rewards?
  • WHY? WHY? WHY?

There are just so many QOL decisions that just make no sense to me. You had all of these options in your previous games...options that I'm pretty sure no one complained about or wanted removed. WHY then, would you change or remove them for what was supposed to be the pinnacle of Gran Turismo? You had a formula that WORKED, all you needed to do was build upon it. It didn't need a makeover into a completely different game. You were THIS close to greatness. I just don't get it.

Even with this frustration, I still do feel drawn to the game. At it's core, it still feels like Gran Turismo. But every time I boot it up, there's always the sensation of, "ugh, if only..."

Last edited:
Why the cafe menu books? Why the cafe PERIOD? Who complained about the way the events were structured in the previous games?
I did, to be fair. I was tired of the boring GT Mode structure they just copy pasted every game. I wanted something new. Cafe Mode wasn't it though. That could've worked as an intro to a new racing career mode, or as a side-feature collecting cars with your friend, but not as the main career mode.

All your other whys though, very much valid. Sadly we'll probably never get answers to any of them. Whenever Kaz does get interviewed they never ask him these sorts of questions, just the usual gimmes.

Why hide all the events in a world map instead of grouping the races within the event like in every previous game?
Well... the way these races are now, it wouldn't make much sense to group them. For example, one of the Clubman Cup Plus races is restricted to a MINI Cooper. Only one of them. That's the biggest example of restriction inconsistency under the same event name, but there's more, especially with nitro restrictions.

Has anyone considered that all of the online complaining is actually increasing exposure and sales?

It seems odd. But maybe as much as people like complaing about GT, many more enjoy reading about the complaining and see it as a "good" thing?

GT is Serious Fun. Is there anyone more serious about fun than GT players? :lol:

Well... the way these races are now, it wouldn't make much sense to group them. For example, one of the Clubman Cup Plus races is restricted to a MINI Cooper. Only one of them. That's the biggest example of restriction inconsistency under the same event name, but there's more, especially with nitro restrictions.
Other than the Cooper, I feel like the FF, FR, AWD, Sunday, Clubman, 550 Clubman, 600, 700, 730, 800PP Touring Car, GRB and GR1 races could all be in their own event groups (like GT1-Sport), and easily accessed no matter where they take place. Say I wanted to run all of the 800PP races again. Instead of an 800PP event group that lets you pick which races you'd like to run one after the other, I have to jump around the map in and out of regions and tracks for every race. Just lends to a very clunky interface IMO.

Other than the Cooper, I feel like the FF, FR, AWD, Sunday, Clubman, 550 Clubman, 600, 700, 730, 800PP Touring Car, GRB and GR1 races could all be in their own event groups (like GT1-Sport), and easily accessed no matter where they take place. Say I wanted to run all of the 800PP races again. Instead of an 800PP event group that lets you pick which races you'd like to run one after the other, I have to jump around the map in and out of regions and tracks for every race. Just lends to a very clunky interface IMO.
I definitely agree the way it is now is awful, but there would need to be some changes to restrictions so they make more sense together. Really, removing some nitro restrictions and that Mini restriction would be fine, nobody would complain.

For me, the frustrating thing is the decisions that were made that just don't make any sense. I wish I could sit at a table with the developers and get concrete reasons why they did certain things. I don't think I'm entitled to anything. A developer can do whatever they want with their property, and I don't have to buy it. BUT, I feel like PD keep peppering their feet with bullet holes for NO reason with the decisions they make, and it honestly just frustrates me. A couple of my gripes that I'm sure have been repeated:

• Why the cafe menu books? Why the cafe PERIOD? Who complained about the way the events were structured in the previous games?
  • Why hide all the events in a world map instead of grouping the races within the event like in every previous game?
  • Why are FF, FR, and AWD races LIMITED to their nationality? Why no MR races at all?
  • Why am I locked to preset time and weather in my time trials (Like in GT6) when I can set many more options in a custom race?
  • Why can't I turn off instant replay for every single time my car moves more than 5 ft. on the track before I exit?
  • Why do factory decals disappear if I just want to paint my car (or even just a part of it)?
  • Why can I only see the paint colors I want to purchase on 3 cars?
  • Why can't I use carbon paint only on certain areas like the mirrors (instead of the whole car or nothing)
  • Why have a roulette system at all? Just give me a random reward for a daily workout. Why bother showing me other "possibilities" if there's basically no chance I'll receive them? All it does is create disappointment.
  • Why hide core tuning possibilities within this roulette system? Here in the real world, if I want to put a different engine in my car, I don't have to put my name in a hat at the local engine supplier.
  • Why did you remove the corner cones? What did they ever do to you?
  • Why did you severely limit the amount I can adjust the cockpit camera from GT Sport?
  • Why must I always start last? Why can't we have grid starts like the 2 races which are still actually challenging?
  • Why do I no longer feel a sense of progression and satisfaction that came with the other games because I'm locked to what your cafe says I can do instead of letting me choose my own path?
  • Why create an economy that is supposed to replicate real car values, with un-realistic rewards?
  • WHY? WHY? WHY?

There are just so many QOL decisions that just make no sense to me. You had all of these options in your previous games...options that I'm pretty sure no one complained about or wanted removed. WHY then, would you change or remove them for what was supposed to be the pinnacle of Gran Turismo? You had a formula that WORKED, all you needed to do was build upon it. It didn't need a makeover into a completely different game. You were THIS close to greatness. I just don't get it.

Even with this frustration, I still do feel drawn to the game. At it's core, it still feels like Gran Turismo. But every time I boot it up, there's always the sensation of, "ugh, if only..."
As I said "cheap", which for game production means few people. So, they can do somethings well, but they simply don't have the manpower to cover all the bases. (Again, my position is their team size statements are false in order to give a better impression).

They probably don't even have an actual game designer. It's likely design by committee.

I mean, it's as good as the others. I can fiddle with the cars and it feels good, but it's just.... Lacking

Last edited:
Simply an attempt to disguise the fact that at launch this game was basically the same as GTS. With some weather. And far, far fewer events.
It’s rushed and incomplete. Either deliberately to drip feed content later, or incompetently, failure to hit deadlines. The most telling thing is the so-called ‘championships’, several of which are two races, same track forwards and reverse. It screams: ‘can’t be arsed, this’ll do for now’ or ‘can’t make deadline’.

I will still keep saying...; GT7 IS A EMPTY GAME...Not Enough Events and Cars...
GT3 with less cars is a much better game. There are enough cars and tracks, what it lacks is a structured and comprehensive career mode. Today Poly has no creativity, no global view of its game. GT7 will be a like a patchwork in a couple months: a endurance here, another mission there... Maybe for once poly could say "we were wrong, here's a long career and rewarding career mode" but it takes intelligence and humility.

Thank you for the engine swap cheat. Now the game is getting better.

I think we all get it. The odd numbered games are the core tech and the even numbered games are the expansions.

GT1 was tech, GT2 expansion, same with GT 3 and 4, and GT 5 and 6.

This time, GTSport gave us the core, and I'm not sure why some say that they hated it. It gave us the livery editor, the MFD, DR/SR, etc, etc.

GT7 is supposed to expand on that. It's great that they brought back PP racing, hopefully the lobbies recover. Widebodies and engine swaps are killer!! I can make cars all day long. It's sad that by default, the engine swaps are difficult to come by.

I will point this out though; the game has a history of "glitches" that allow you to reap huge benefits IF you are a fan and following the story of the game. Remember the Ferrari GTO money glitch? I'm not so sure that this engine swap glitch is a mistake, but like the others, it will be limited in time.

HOPEFULLY, they correct the lobby issues and provide more of the DR/SR friendly races. I'd prefer it to be like a separate Sport Mode with at least 3 a week. That, and maybe the return of B-Spec and this can go from the worst, to the best in a hurry.

Hi
I like the Core but single Player scratch only the surface.
Online got promise but actually they fixed penalties from worse to nightmare.
Another big failure is the PSN Trophy List it is so bad I can’t even find the words for it .
Half of the List is buy this and buy that the other half is mostly easy peasy grinding **** with no skill required.
The only challenge is All Gold in all Licenses that is one out of 50 .
There is not a single Mission Trophy in a Game where it is all about Records and competition.
And yes I’am willing to spend Money for Content but not for stupid credits and tons of useless 🚘

Latest Posts

Back