Is GT7 fast becoming the worst of the GT Series?

• Thread starter Tuono_GT
  • 882 comments
Lastly - I know our time is wrapping up - there's been a lot going on in the world over the last 18 months. How has that impacted the development of Gran Turismo, and how have you kind of been able to deal with that?

Kazunori Yamauchi:
Polyphony Digital is a company that's run like a family, so we're fairly strong during times of crisis like this. So in that way, relatively speaking I don't think we were affected by COVID as much. Actually, COVID gave me an opportunity to drive my cars more. I still drive on the Tokyo Expressway every night in my Porsche GT3

so I mean on one hand he can be downplaying it, on the other hand we had this.
In a statement provided to GQ and confirmed to IGN, a Sony spokesperson wrote: “GT7 has been impacted by Covid-related production challenges and therefore will shift from 2021 to 2022. With the ongoing pandemic, it’s a dynamic and changing situation and some critical aspects of game production have been slowed over the past several months. We’ll share more specifics on GT7’s release date when available.”
So I would surmise they did have production challenges. The degree of it. Who knows what kaz thinks is good or bad, he may think it was good since single player was solid and all modes were there, vs the reality where lobbies are half baked still And there were bugs etc to be fixed.

what the truth is its probally a mix of both.

Last edited:
So you say Kaz was downplaying it but you decide that an unamed Sony spokeperson was absolutely telling the whole truth and wasn't covering for anything else. Confirmation bias much? Every single GT game has been delayed bar GT6, without a pandemic.
You can believe what you want at this point man. You all go in on kaz all the time, he may have one View of it, but clearly the game suffered real delays... If you look at the state of the game id prob choose more on it being delayed and despite that they were able to ship the game out playable from beginning to end With most features they wanted but not all. So at this point its whatever reality you all want to choose about the situation. But clearly there were dev issues. Which is my whole point.

You can believe what you want at this point man. You all go in on kaz all the time, he may have one View of it, but clearly the game suffered real delays... If you look at the state of the game id prob choose more on it being delayed and despite that they were able to ship the game out playable from beginning to end With most features they wanted but not all. So at this point its whatever reality you all want to choose about the situation. But clearly there were dev issues. Which is my whole point.
The reality is the game is lacking in many areas, whatever the reason. Which is the whole point of this topic. Run round in circles all you like trying to defend PD using backwards ass logic like you have been the last page, that's the simple reality.

The reality is the game is lacking in many areas, whatever the reason. Which is the whole point of this topic. Run round in circles all you like trying to defend PD using backwards ass logic like you have been the last page, that's the simple reality.
Well im focused on the why. Never dismissed it other than that. But go off.

I have a question about an issue that is affecting me since day one of GT7: here it goes. Specially in the lobbies, I'm having this issue where the game kind of "freezes" for a random interval between 0,5 up to 7 seconds, and when that happens I lose tons of race time because for me the game stops, but for everyone eles the race goes on, I believe it is not lag, because when the game is running "normally" I don't see cars flying or bouncing around. To solve this I have tried; 1, installed an SSD on the PS4, 2 chagned the ISP provider, 3 cleaned the PS4 and renewed the thermal paste, 4 Improved the ventilation and moved the PS4 to a much cooler place, 5 changed all the LAN cat6 cables of my router and PS4. The issue was somewhat reduced by a certain amount, but it still happens in the lobbies quite often, but during daily/GTWS races it may happen once or not at all during an entire event. With other games like GT Sport, Bloodborne, Dark Souls 3, FF7 Remake there is no sign of this issue at all. I've had to quit two leage tournaments because of this. If anyone else is having the same problem, or something like this and have found a fix or workaround, please help. Thank you all!
All I can tell you, you're not alone. I have had those random freezes at Spa and at Sarthe, in daily races and online championships. I play on ps4 pro where it happens. I haven't had it as bad as 7 seconds, half a second, maybe a bit more.

I'm also hard wired and still regularly play GT Sport daily races on it without any issues.

On PS5 I get random slow down when it gets busy on track, especially at Daytona. But no freezes.

So I would surmise they did have production challenges. The degree of it. Who knows what kaz thinks is good or bad, he may think it was good since single player was solid and all modes were there, vs the reality where lobbies are half baked still And there were bugs etc to be fixed.

I'm sure a random Sony PR spokesman talking to a fashion magazine has a greater understanding of PD than it's founder Kazunori Yamauchi. 😂😂😂😂

All I can tell you, you're not alone. I have had those random freezes at Spa and at Sarthe, in daily races and online championships. I play on ps4 pro where it happens. I haven't had it as bad as 7 seconds, half a second, maybe a bit more.

I'm also hard wired and still regularly play GT Sport daily races on it without any issues.

On PS5 I get random slow down when it gets busy on track, especially at Daytona. But no freezes.
I regularly experience slow down exiting then tunnel of Trial Mountain last week during the dailies.

Last edited:

Thanks for your feedback. My PS4 is 2nd gen FAT, so it is kinda old, but it is running as it should, as there are no issues with any other games

Got back to the game after 2 months. Driving feels good, did the Tsukuba 1h Roadster and was kinda funny, but I'd rather have better AI and a qualify instead of starting last and bet on weather and poor AI programmimg that can't read the radar and put wrong tires at every stop.

But then came the new Gr.1 cafe menu and WTF? I've tried a lot of strategies and couldn't get better than 3rd in Daytona and didn't even bothered racing on the other tracks yet. I've used different cars, tried to save fuel with a no-pitstop race, tried to race the hardest as I can pitting once... But the advantage that the AI have in the start of the race is absolutely massive. Bought the new Toyota GR010 Hypercar, tried with it stock, no success. Put a mid-rpm turbo, got it to 1000 HP, still couldn't win. The rubberband is ridiculous. I really don't know what the actual **** the devs are thinking, seriously.

I don't buy the pandemic as an issue. People have been working from home in games for decades, or they'd never leave the office. The pandemic just made it even more necessary.

We can all go and verify the workload for ourselves. Single Player = Custom Race with artwork. It doesn't take that long to put it together. The rest of the content is the same as GTSport, so the game is technically done. There's new menus, but menus are not a "years in the making" type of thing. They showed off GTSport in 8K a long time back, so the code was working in the dev environment for PS5 for some time.

What we have are conscious decisions and likely, some over worked coders.

Great example - I can save a ghost replay, but I can't load it. I can't even view them...So, obviously, the feature is partly done, but key elements have been commented out, probably because TO THIS DAY GTSport has a bug with loading ghosts, and GT7 inherited that bug.

Maybe Sony should take some of those profits that we've given them and increase their investment in the game. It might motivate more people to upgrade to PS5 (if you haven't already). This game has me thinking xbox, and I can't be the only one.

gets free updates with new cars and tracks on a regular schedule

Worst game ever

The game's got it's problems but I'm having more fun with a game than I've had since GT4. And while GT4 will be hard to match for content even after years of updates, the content that is here and its execution are higher quality and more engaging. Must be a generational thing, I don't know.

Is AI not part of the base of any racing game?
That always was and still is a major problem of GT.

But if we look at ACC that IA its a bit better but have limitations aswell, GT its based on on chase the rabbit and you need to be fast and try to figure how to beat other cars until the finish line, and IA its simply dumm and not aware.

In ACC IA are aware and you can exploit that.., not only that its easy to detect in every circuit most of the times in slow corners if you outbrake the IA you can overtake several cars in a single corner, all that works for max IA dificulty.

I just mention Lobbys has main issue cause for game longevity and for proper racing lobbys must work...

Is it fast becoming the worst GT game? No.

In my opinion it has the potential to slowly become one of the best racing games ever. At its peak, it is already a great racing game. Plenty of issues to iron out, but if they can stabilise the penalty system and fix PP issues and online lobbies, then the foundations are there for ongoing monthly content releases to make it amazing.

I keep changing my opinions on the game to be honest. Today's patch added more features, a new track and 3 cars, one of which is an undisputed fan favourite. The TT Sport mode now has tiered rewards, which make it something worth playing. Issues remain, but with each passing release, there is more fun stuff to do.

Last edited:

Worst game ever
Worst in the series... That's the topic. So far, it's on track.

Did you see the "new menu"? It's not even a game. Go buy cars, get a roulette ticket.

The game is 100% focused on spending your credits, rather than being a fun game.
The game's got it's problems but I'm having more fun with a game than I've had since GT4. And while GT4 will be hard to match for content even after years of updates, the content that is here and its execution are higher quality and more engaging. Must be a generational thing, I don't know.
Or, you are easy to please. I don't know how boring races against uninspired AI "higher quality and more engaging"

There's no evolution or engagement in any of it.

Last edited:

Worst game ever

What about the racing is higher quality and engaging? Visually it's obviously way better, but gameplay wise?

What about the racing is higher quality and engaging? Visually it's obviously way better, but gameplay wise?
Hell, before we get to higher quality... Let's start with the fact that its regressed in some ways lol. Tons of G29 owners are reporting worst FFB than in GT:Sport, how the hell did they manage to do that?

Gran Turismo 5 was the series peak. How we're still missing so many classic circuits at this point in time is a big disappointment and the main appeal of GT was the huge focus on road cars. Now it's focus is more on race cars. Shuffle racing was epic in GT5 too. If that was still online, this poor excuse for a GT game would never get a look in. They had 10 years to make this great. They couldn't even make it good. Career is a load of crap too. Kaz has focused on the 1% and the FIA, not the day 1 players and fans like us. That's why it'll get worse. Forza 8 is the only hope now, if only they can nail the handling🤞

The truth is it was supposed to be a PS5 exclusive, but Sony couldn't ship enough PS5 consoles so the sales would have been hindered. They had to use the delay to get it running on PS4 to increase the audience that would possibly purchase, otherwise they'd have lost a lot of money.

Worst game ever

Free updates 🤣 . Don't tell him.

OK, so you've done all your Licences, completed the Cafe Menu and done every circuit race/challenge… what now?

The Weekly races are only good for so long and even shorter if you keep getting nailed by the penalty system for no good reason.

After all, how can you be penalised (track limits, for example) when some neanderthal deliberately punts you off the circuit. And, because of said same neanderthal you lose your ‘clean race’ factor. Seriously? I could go on but I’m sure you’ve all experienced the same in one form or another.

Is it just me or was (apologies... I can’t actually remember which one) GT5 or 6 way better in terms of decent content? Everything just appears to be so limited right now and I for one am getting a little frustrated, especially with the Bugs in the system.
GT5 and 6 were both amazing in terms of content, but GT6 had slightly more. There were certain cars/tracks exclusive to either, but I think I had the most fun on GT5. All the tracks from the games history have to return otherwise it can't be considered a proper GT game.

The truth is it was supposed to be a PS5 exclusive, but Sony couldn't ship enough PS5 consoles so the sales would have been hindered. They had to use the delay to get it running on PS4 to increase the audience that would possibly purchase, otherwise they'd have lost a lot of money.
Ok, so it would still be the worst in the series. The fact that it's on two platforms is better. Remember when GT6 was rumored to be on PS4?

There's been 2 GT's per platform, so this is just par for the course and being cross gen doesn't mean they can't make engaging content and be more focused on gameplay.

The fact of the matter is that the online portion SHOULD have remained the focus and expanded upon. Gt5 was good enough for people who want to play single player...actually, it was better. Heck, GTSport was a BETTER single player! You actually were rewarded for handicapping yourself. I enjoyed that part of it. This is in no way better.

When I look for PS5's on sale, they're listed for +/- $1000CDN. For those who bought the console with GT being their primary reason, that's a lot of money to drop for this game.

Again, we discussing WORST IN THE SERIES, not worst game ever created. No, this is not the worst game ever, but it is most definitely a disappointment and so far, the most disappointing.

Pretty disappointed by the update, and a bit embarrassed I got hyped for it after finding out the Escudo was coming back.

Very wild they'd add new menus that doesn't require racing, it's just "collect X cars, get a prize." The new races are kind of meh, I'm not sure why they don't just take 15 minutes from one guy to replicate the settings of one hour and half hour Spa to every other track. My point of contention now is that I wasn't sold on the actual state of the game at launch, but on its potential, and after 4 major updates now I think we've got a good grasp of the pace that potential will be realized, and right now that means it'll be years, if ever.

Also 3 updates of adding new races, all of which seem to have really bad payouts have convinced me that the addition of the Spa & others races would solely a one-time thing they felt pressured to do to take the heat off of themselves, and they're just reverting back to how they want the game to be.

Last edited:
Is GT7 fast becoming the worst in the series? No it is not, and it's the only one that seems likely to improve, as Sport is probably a shot duck now.

People here seem to be forgetting that only two GT games currently have any online functionality at all and one of those will probably lose that functionality in the not to distant future. Once that happens then GT7 will be the best currently playable experience for many people. Hell, the first four had none at all, ever!

Single player career mode isn't the only thing to take into consideration as some here would like you to think. ;)

Now if the question was is the single player portion of the game currently the worst in the series? I'd say pretty damn close.

Im gonna return this stupid ass game still cant sell cars and still nothing improved lacks a lot of things wtf is wrong with you pd
It’s not a fix, but if you don’t want to look at the cars cluttering your garage, you can select ”Favourites”. The cars you don’t like, disappear from your list until you select “All” in your garage.

Ok, so it would still be the worst in the series. The fact that it's on two platforms is better. Remember when GT6 was rumored to be on PS4?

There's been 2 GT's per platform, so this is just par for the course and being cross gen doesn't mean they can't make engaging content and be more focused on gameplay.

The fact of the matter is that the online portion SHOULD have remained the focus and expanded upon. Gt5 was good enough for people who want to play single player...actually, it was better. Heck, GTSport was a BETTER single player! You actually were rewarded for handicapping yourself. I enjoyed that part of it. This is in no way better.

When I look for PS5's on sale, they're listed for +/- $1000CDN. For those who bought the console with GT being their primary reason, that's a lot of money to drop for this game.

Again, we discussing WORST IN THE SERIES, not worst game ever created. No, this is not the worst game ever, but it is most definitely a disappointment and so far, the most disappointing.
Hey dude read my comments, I never said this is a good Gran Turismo. In fact, I think this game, like GT Sport doesn't deserve the title. Missing so many classic circuits and the car list is abysmal, just like the career mode. I think the game should definitely have a great career too. That's part of GT.

Latest Posts

Back