Is GT7 fast becoming the worst of the GT Series?

• Thread starter Tuono_GT
  • 882 comments
it's time to stop a little bit and play something more, Grid Legends, Horizon FW and Cyberphunk, i get bored about the GT7 status, maybe one race to gain money and switch to another game.

Last edited:
My 6 months of waiting till the released way too early game matures is almost up and to follow tradition, I've finally managed to find a PS5 in stock to play it on.

In the limited time I've had with the game, maybe 5 or 6 days when the physics tweaks came in and from watching youtubers the rest of the time, I'm leaning more towards seeing the potential in it rather the flaws. It's still installing and I'm hoping the shiny new graphics will get me drooling all over GT again.

Maybe there’s something wrong with me and my ability to see flaws but I feel that the game has only a rather moderate amount of problems and many of them have been actually fixed since release. The worst still persisting being sketchy and laggy lobbies.

Single player mode was just a very short tutorial but ”racing” against AI is meaningless anyway. Should’ve been longer campaign, they could easily make it longer but I don’t care much.

I find weekly new Daily races, GTWS races and fortnightly time trial almost more than enough content and challenge that I can handle. I’m really excited about this new physics model that brought many useless back into the game.

I’m maybe a bit disappointed though that since launch they have brought only 1 new track (Watkins Glen) to the game. 🤔 Expected to see tracks like Grand Valley, Silverstone, Motegi etc. to come back rather quickly but I guess they needed time with fixing bugs.

Hmm what has been fixed? Far too many problems have not.

Without a proper SR / penalty system, consistent track limits, fixed matchmaking, cross gen dailies, actual feedback (SR/DR changes, FL info), and a way to communicate before/after races like we had in GT Sport, daily races are still nothing to write home about.

The single player is still the same, same broken AI that can't deal with rain, weather that moves far too fast to be able to plan for, limited ways to set up custom races and no way to save settings. Many tracks still miss weather and night, split screen is still broken.

I'll be playing GT Sport next month since N24 is on with proper 20 player races. Might be back in October if PD actually fixes some of the problems.

I've played them all except GTS and enjoyed them thoroughly just the same. Enthused with this installment as well. The graphics, sound, music, photo capabilities, and racing of course. I could find things to carp on about sure, but just find ways to overcome those bits and enjoy the offerings on hand which are ample. I love to race head to head, take photos, and create liveries of which I just can't get enough of either -- the possibilities and outcomes are never ending. Overall I think it's a brilliant effort and will only continue to improve and hope I'm here to celebrate 50 years of the GT franchise.

I didn't play GT7 for almost 2 month now...
Still don't feel to play it!
Dont play it, PD screwed the pooch and increased tire degradation. I'm now having to make an extra pit (3x now) for Tokyo 600pp when before 1.20 update I was only pitting once.

Dont play it, PD screwed the pooch and increased tire degradation. I'm now having to make an extra pit (3x now) for Tokyo 600pp when before 1.20 update I was only pitting once.
Did they bring the hard tires in line with the others? In my early custom races hards would forever while mediums and softs didn't last at all. It was never worth using mediums or softs, only when you needed to pit for fuel anyway.

Did they bring the hard tires in line with the others? In my early custom races hards would forever while mediums and softs didn't last at all. It was never worth using mediums or softs, only when you needed to pit for fuel anyway.
Hard tyres do wear quicker than they used to. But one thing I noticed on the spa 24 hr race, is that the hards will last maybe 15-20 minutes from good to bad, whereas when it starts raining, the wets are unaffected by the patch and last just as long as the old hards did as long as the track is wet! barely 30% of the bar used after 25 minutes in the same spa race and that's with the new tyre wear indicator!

The tyre wear indicator is now different so it shows what's useable on the tyre for the full bar, rather than the tyres 'dropping off' at 70%. Give it a go and get your own opinion on it.

I don't think it's the "worst" but they've most definitely dropped the ball with the updates. The last update hit and after driving around with the MP4/4 a bit I kinda lost the desire to keep playing, at least regularly. The game is still filled with UI design choices that add unneccesary friction to the game, basic features like selling cars are still missing, the Daily Race system has gotten old, the FFB is still terrible on the G29, only getting 3 cars per month, I just don't really see a reason to boot it up until the next update hits and hopefully adresses some of these concerns; and honestly? I'm not even one to care particularly about some of these things like selling cars, it's just the fact that they're still missing that is baffling. It's true that the updates are free, but the game was sold with the expectation of a live service and imo, it's been pretty lacking in that regard so far.

It doesn't help that PD keeps us completely in the dark regarding updates which in this day and age is just backwards. I play and try to follow the news for all the sims as well and it's just a complete night and day difference in regards to how they try to keep people in touch, I understand that GT7 is a console game first and a sim second but they can't keep being the odd ones out, Forza Motorsport will also be a console game and looking at FH5 it's very likely they're going to be just as open as the rest.

Hard tyres do wear quicker than they used to. But one thing I noticed on the spa 24 hr race, is that the hards will last maybe 15-20 minutes from good to bad, whereas when it starts raining, the wets are unaffected by the patch and last just as long as the old hards did as long as the track is wet! barely 30% of the bar used after 25 minutes in the same spa race and that's with the new tyre wear indicator!

The tyre wear indicator is now different so it shows what's useable on the tyre for the full bar, rather than the tyres 'dropping off' at 70%. Give it a go and get your own opinion on it.
Might be a while until I give it a try, N24 starts tomorrow in GT Sport for the next month. Proper 20 player races on my favorite track, can't resist :cheers:

I did update the game and saw the save settings option in Custom races. At least now I can start setting up my grid for endurance races (if it saves the custom grid, I didn't test that). The rest seems the same though, no extra control over the weather and still max 9 weather states no matter how long the race and no info when the next state might be or what time it is. Thus still seems a lot of trial and error is in order to get the weather to clear for sunset, then downpour at night and fog in the morning. Anyway, long term project to create the perfect endurance race :)

Wow you must be doing it VERY wrong.

Wow you must be doing it VERY wrong.
Agreed. I'm not getting how some are pitting 2x. Not just about different skill levels, but if done right, there was no need to pit at all. Put it this way, to undercut the Le Mans 30-31 or 32 minute mark, A player, at Tokyo, can easily get under 30 minutes or right on 30 minutes. Every time.
Doing two stops at Tokyo, I didn't think was possible. Now, three stops? I'm not sure about that. If a player is using the NSX strategy, I guess that's putting making it so. However, an even spread of Lap 8 can be done without drama. There's no "race" to do 25 minutes and under.
The object for these tricks, are to do the races in 30 minutes or less. 60 minutes in an hour, one only has to meet 30 minutes or less and job done. Trying to get sub 25 and sub-24s are a bonus. Doesn't mean any one player will make more in one hour's time.

Last edited:
AFAICT based on the lobbies I've watched on PooToob (I don't have the game yet), the weather slots are evenly spread out on the timeline, so it shouldn't be hard to recognise and know in advance when something's about to change.

The races I watched all had 3 to 5 slots (short races), so I'm thinking maybe it's based on their length 'cause each (slot) seemed to last 5 minutes.

Last edited:
AFAICT based on the lobbies I've watched on PooToob (I don't have the game yet), the weather slots are evenly spread out on the timeline, so it shouldn't be hard to recognise and know in advance when something's about to change.

The races I watched all had 3 to 5 slots (short races), so I'm thinking maybe it's based on their length 'cause each (slot) seemed to last 5 minutes.
It's just like Project Cars 2 in that regard.

Agreed. I'm not getting how some are pitting 2x. Not just about different skill levels, but if done right, there was no need to pit at all. Put it this way, to undercut the Le Mans 30-31 or 32 minute mark, A player, at Tokyo, can easily get under 30 minutes or right on 30 minutes. Every time.
Doing two stops at Tokyo, I didn't think was possible. Now, three stops? I'm not sure about that. If a player is using the NSX strategy, I guess that's putting making it so. However, an even spread of Lap 8 can be done without drama. There's no "race" to do 25 minutes and under.
The object for these tricks, are to do the races in 30 minutes or less. 60 minutes in an hour, one only has to meet 30 minutes or less and job done. Trying to get sub 25 and sub-24s are a bonus. Doesn't mean any one player will make more in one hour's time.
Before 1.20, I was pitting once with the ZR1 tuned with 1066hp, now with the 1.20 update tire degredation has it down to 3 pits. I had to pit on final lap since lap 11 the rear tires had no life left. It might be because of the 516pp tune? My lap times dropped dramatically, i was doing high 1:58s, now my fastest lap was 2:03.

It wasnt a problem in 1.19 and earlier.
Yeah but you shouldn't have been putting that much power into the car in the first place. The most powerful car I've used (a de-tuned Murcielago) has 580HP and I've won the race with cars that have less. Don't go for all-out power. Handling is more important.

Before 1.20, I was pitting once with the ZR1 tuned with 1066hp, now with the 1.20 update tire degredation has it down to 3 pits. I had to pit on final lap since lap 11 the rear tires had no life left. It might be because of the 516pp tune? My lap times dropped dramatically, i was doing high 1:58s, now my fastest lap was 2:03.
Ah, not just that. Thought we were referring to the Alpine.
Yeah, you got problems. ;)

I had no clue there was 9 slots for weather. I only thought there was like 5 max?
They go up to 9 for 90 minute endurance races and longer. Still nine whether it's 1H or 24H. But you get less for shorter races. I guess 10 minutes is the minimum duration for weather states, yet in a 24H race each state last average 2.7 hours. Not the most dynamic :P
Also in my 12H race, 2 states that should have produced rain didn't produce any, so alternating states between wet and dry to get 5 rain events only resulted in 3 rain events.

I like the graphics, physics, sound improvement, and customization has taken a step forward. But content has taken 2 steps back. Lack of cars , no BMW M2 , Audi RS models, Porsche 992 for example. The whole cafe experience felt like an office orientation program from the early 2000’s with cafe staff texting dialogue. The cafe could have been so much better. It could have also been used for an online meeting room for players

For me personally, this is the worst GT. I have not shelved a previous GT game so close to release. The countless idiotic design choices and the single player side of things being dismal is what did it.

They have just got progressively worse since GT4 and after this latest effort from PD, I am done with the series. its just too frustrating and un-enjoyable. Every time i turned it on I found myself annoyed at what could have been.

Its a damn shame because like many others, GT is what got me into cars and racing all the way back in 1997. All good things come to and end I suppose.

T4 and after this latest effort from PD, I am done with the series. its just too frustrating and un-enjoyable. Every time i turned it on I found myself annoyed at what could have been.
Out of interest, what is it about GT7 that you dislike compared to the last couple of releases? Is it just the lack of single player content?

Back