Is GT7 fast becoming the worst of the GT Series?

• Thread starter Tuono_GT
  • 882 comments
Out of interest, what is it about GT7 that you dislike compared to the last couple of releases? Is it just the lack of single player content?
It could be those avatars of annoying fictional characters telling you 'well done' or 'watch the video' when the buggy physics has something to do with your car oversteering off the track at random throttle positions whilst trying to get gold.

It could be the cafe single player mode, where some friendly Italian gent (behind the friendly mask he's actually a mob-connected puppet master in the GT universe) sends you on horrid missions to collect cars that you don't want while racing in cars that you don't like at all.

It could be the whole griding / credit earning experience ...

• "Hello sir, welcome to Haggety ... well sir, if you have to ask how much sir, you clearly cannot afford it..."
  • 30 x 700 pp races (starting at 20th place) later "Hello sir, welcome to Haggety... well sir, if you have to ask how much sir, you clearly cannot afford it..."

It could be the wasted disk space and compute resource of the Music Rally ...

It could be the daft AI, braking mid-corner, backmarking cars not moving out your way, deathrace 3000 driving style of the top 3 cars in a single player race.

It could be (when the above daft AI) knocks you onto the gravel/grass or wall, that the 'invisible hand' will grab hold of your car and move it AWAY from the direction you need to get back on the track. And no amount of steering or pedal input from your wheel/DS controller can influence the motion of the car for atleast 15 seconds.

It could be the rather worrying feeling of the impending sophy AI being forced into a later update of GT7, cue the need for larger hard drive if you own a PS4 and drop to 18 fps to support it.

Just a few guesses...

It could be those avatars of annoying fictional characters telling you 'well done' or 'watch the video' when the buggy physics has something to do with your car oversteering off the track at random throttle positions whilst trying to get gold.

It could be the cafe single player mode, where some friendly Italian gent (behind the friendly mask he's actually a mob-connected puppet master in the GT universe) sends you on horrid missions to collect cars that you don't want while racing in cars that you don't like at all.

• "Hello sir, welcome to Haggety ... well sir, if you have to ask how much sir, you clearly cannot afford it..."
  • 30 x 700 pp races (starting at 20th place) later "Hello sir, welcome to Haggety... well sir, if you have to ask how much sir, you clearly cannot afford it..."

It could be the daft AI, braking mid-corner, backmarking cars not moving out your way, deathrace 3000 driving style of the top 3 cars in a single player race.

It could be (when the above daft AI) knocks you onto the gravel/grass or wall, that the 'invisible hand' will grab hold of your car and move it AWAY from the direction you need to get back on the track. And no amount of steering or pedal input from your wheel/DS controller can influence the motion of the car for atleast 15 seconds.

It could be the rather worrying feeling of the impending sophy AI being forced into a later update of GT7, cue the need for larger hard drive if you own a PS4 and drop to 18 fps to support it.

Just a few guesses...

Fair enough.

Although to be fair, the AI was much worse in previous releases.

It could be better, but it's certainly the best PD has managed to date.

Just a few guesses...
Man half of these sound like skill issues and the Sophy thing doesn't even make sense considering she's machine learning and isn't going to be an AI replacement.

"Wasted disk space of music rally" - it's songs and content already in the game, just organised in a different format.

"invisible hand" is complete bogus and obviously just a skill issue. IF the AI are constantly hitting you into the dirt, I would also wager something is up with your driving rather than the AI, it happens, but not that consistently.

Same with your "random oversteer" problems that apparently plague your game to the point where you can no longer stomach to play it. There's a rare kerb issue that unsettles the car when you go over them sometimes, but if everyone was randomly getting thrown off track in corners, don't you think you would see more of an outrage about it?

I feel like you have let a disdain for this game just colour your experiences in your own light, rather than looking at them critically. The game has its problems, the Hagerty stuff is certainly stupid and the AI are not intelligent at all, but there is a reason most people seem to agree the driving experience of this game is the best in the franchise and the issues plague the game elsewhere - something you seem to vehemently disagree with.

Man half of these sound like skill issues and the Sophy thing doesn't even make sense considering she's machine learning and isn't going to be an AI replacement.

"Wasted disk space of music rally" - it's songs and content already in the game, just organised in a different format.

"invisible hand" is complete bogus and obviously just a skill issue. IF the AI are constantly hitting you into the dirt, I would also wager something is up with your driving rather than the AI, it happens, but not that consistently.

Same with your "random oversteer" problems that apparently plague your game to the point where you can no longer stomach to play it. There's a rare kerb issue that unsettles the car when you go over them sometimes, but if everyone was randomly getting thrown off track in corners, don't you think you would see more of an outrage about it?

I feel like you have let a disdain for this game just colour your experiences in your own light, rather than looking at them critically. The game has its problems, the Hagerty stuff is certainly stupid and the AI are not intelligent at all, but there is a reason most people seem to agree the driving experience of this game is the best in the franchise and the issues plague the game elsewhere - something you seem to vehemently disagree with.

The invisible hand is evident and makes the car move in a very unnatural way when you are no longer on the racing surface, examples are ...

• I.e understeer on a right turn and contact some barrier, the car will auto-pivot left so you face away from the track.
  • 1/4 throttle in 1st or 2nd with a modest 350 HP with any steering input to drive out of the grass or gravel with result in a predictable snapping the rear end left-right-left-right. You either fishtail dramatically your way back on track or wait until the CPU resets you back on track.
  • If your car is coasting steady at say 80 mph on grass/gravel with a few degrees steering angle as you are moving back towards the track, the rear axle of the car snaps out each time you return on tarmac.

I run 2 to 6 hour endurance races, where lapped AI cars and chance of collision with them in corners are somewhat frequent. I can slow down and wait for a straight at a significant cost in lap time, but that's now how it should work with lapped cars and backmarkers.

I aim for consistency with time attack or getting gold on circuit experience, you pick your braking spot, car position at entry/exit, and when to put the power down - it used to be predictable on GT6 and GT Sport, and still is on Assetto Corsa. Where in this scenario the tyre physics model on GT7 kicks in, where you thought you apply throttle/brake in the last lap wont work in this one, but it will again in the next ...

I lack top teir skill all the way back to GT3, but I rarely found the above points to be an issue in those earlier releases...

Fair enough.

Although to be fair, the AI was much worse in previous releases.

It could be better, but it's certainly the best PD has managed to date.
I had far less issues with the AI in previous versions and actually got great races against the AI in GT Sport. (Although you do have to gimp your own car to get the AI to actually race you)

That this is the best PD has managed is a really really sad state of affairs. It shows PD simply doesn't care about single player racing anymore. It has been the same single person tweaking the AI scripts since GT5 or 6. Which explains why the AI is totally incompetent with rain and resorts to either ignoring it or driving at a virtual speed limit. It's simply not in the programming to plan pit stops, follow the dry line and adjust for the track getting more wet.

Now I'm back on N24 in GT Sport, I must say, the car just feels more alive to me. Better feedback from the sound and a more active bumper cam. Or maybe the old N24 is a lot more bumpy than the smoothed out GT7 version. Also more dangerous, the grass and kerbs are far less forgiving in GT Sport. GTS feels better on a controller and more satisfying to nail the corners. In GT7 you can get away with too much sloppy driving imo :/

Out of interest, what is it about GT7 that you dislike compared to the last couple of releases? Is it just the lack of single player content?
That would have to be one of the main reasons, yeah. A fully fledged GT game should take so much longer to complete. I am also salty AF about their marketing leading up to the game knowing full well what they were releasing but selling it as something else.

The IA and S licenses are pointless. There are countless cars that have no eligible races, or they have to be severely neutered. Alot of races are region locked, so I cant race American cars on any event in the game on the Nordschleife, (except for 2 of the championships). Bathurst and Monza still just have one race each, that are both highly restricted in what you can drive there (Japanese turbo sportscars only)

There's also a bunch of other stuff too. The layout of the single player races/events is beyond stupid because its so hard to find a particular event after its been done in the cafe'. Speaking of the cafe', I think it is the single worst addition to any racing game I've played.

The interior view camera is also one of the worst in terms of customizability, you can barely move it so in most cars you feel like a 12 year old trying to look over the steering wheel. You can't hide the driver arms and steering wheel like most other games in the last 10 years.

The championships are ridiculous too. The only half decent one is the very last one and that gets boring after doing it 25 times.

Hagerty pricing is also a farce.

I don't play online much, but you don't have to go far to read about the issues that plague that side of the game too.

The whole game feels rushed (even after effectively 10 years of dev time), lazy, and a massive cash grab with new content being released at a snails pace.

I think the problem with Music Rally is that they barely bothered to explore the idea.

Checkpoint time trials are a neat mode of racing that doesn't get explored that much. It's a good fit for Gran Turismo's aesthetic, and the combination with music is a cute twist. All the tracks. Different cars. More songs. Multiplayer challenges. Endless mode.

There's a ton of things that could be done to turn this throwaway stocking stuffer into an actual mode with some meat on it's bones. But no.

I am saddened to read all the negative here, I wish that all of you try to accept this and be happy with this, it may not be perfect, may not be all you hoped, but from what I have, I am very happy with GT7.
PLEASE STOP THE NEGATIVITY
Being positive about any title, including a Gran Turismo one isn't a requirement of the AUP, as such members are free to post negative views on it (as long as they follow the AUP).

As such please do not try and discourage members from posting perfectly acceptable views.

I am saddened to read all the negative here, I wish that all of you try to accept this and be happy with this, it may not be perfect, may not be all you hoped, but from what I have, I am very happy with GT7.
PLEASE STOP THE NEGATIVITY
I see many comments like this (TBH I've seen a lot worse...disrespecting, name calling). Why would the people happy with the title force their point of view on everyone? This isn't a dictatorship.

Don't you guys have your praising thread to praise the game?....

Last edited:
I wasn't even trying to force my opinion on anyone, all I was saying and thinking was how many were jumping on the pile just because and adding to the negative.
I do understand that this game is not perfect, it has it's flaws but to keep beating this horse is going too far...

I apologize again if I offended anyone in the community

I have played Gran Turismo back when it was launched on the Playstation 1, I have never felt so frustrated by a GT title as much as I have with GT7.

PD are a different organisation to what they were 15-20 years ago, I would suspect that the commitee driven proces, along with relentless commercial pressure and arrogance from Sony Entertainment has had much to do with the mediocre quality control and odd decisions that have been made with features and microtranscations.

Then again, the competition is a bit wanting in accessibility and the limited number of licensed cars, and are not compensated by the more consistent handling/tire physics offered by other titles. If the rival developers could expand on vehicles and presentation, then it would be game over for Sony IMO.
In before "provide evidence of Sony interference".

It's clear as day the free-to-play model is being used. Why are PD so afraid of putting engine swaps in the Tuning Shop? Oh yeah, "player engagement".

I wasn't even trying to force my opinion on anyone, all I was saying and thinking was how many were jumping on the pile just because and adding to the negative.
I do understand that this game is not perfect, it has it's flaws but to keep beating this horse is going too far...

I apologize again if I offended anyone in the community
It's because of the assumption that many are jumping on the negativity pile just because. That might be relevant to Twitter, You Tube or even Reddit, yet taking the effort to find and sign up to GT Planet, you can be pretty confident we're all fans of racing here and want to see the best out of the games.

And yes, we do have to keep beating this horse called PD as anything else only leads to inaction. Sure it might not ever get through to PD, like we've been waiting for a decent penalty system for years. But just letting it go certainly won't help anything.

Plus people always find comfort in knowing they are not the only ones and have a place to vent their frustrations. Better than taking it out on random people on the track! It's like the report button in GT Sport, does nothing, but gives you an alternative to swearing or revenge punts :dopey:

People that are still complaining or rather pointint out the flaws of the game are still very much interested in the game. The ones to worry about are those that left and never looked back... I'm glad to see that some of my issues with the game (save custom race settings, online race chat options) have been fixed already, keep it going.

To be fair, there has been a fair bit of hyperbole going on in some negative posts.

Some peeps seem to be so caught-up in judgements they made months ago that they cite deficiencies that've long-since been addressed, having not followed the update notes properly due to, dare I say it, their negative bias, be it temporary or otherwise.

So you're saying this is a great thread, as people can inform others here that certain things already have improved :cheers:

You honestly expect people that are disappointed with the game to comb over the patch notes, which I didn't even know existed myself. I found them through Google. https://www.gran-turismo.com/us/gt7/news/00_3942234.html
In game all I ever got was a red dot on the map to steer you to new things. Never saw any detailed patch notes :/ I guess maybe it's accessible from the music rally screen? The UI is a bit of a mess...

My opinion hasnt changed much. Hard to quantify if it is THE worse as you can't really just replay the older titles to compare as each had their own pros/cons for their time but 7 is by far the most frustratingly disapointing entry I can remember. It is improved in many aspects over previous entries thanks to better tools and technology and there is a good bit to like. All which does dampen my enjoyment of the older titles (playing 4) . However the lack of a cohesive single player GT campaign is beyond disapointing. As basic as it was, it was a big reason I keep coming back to this series. All the pieces are there but to me the game feels unstructured and aimless. Cafe menus and missions feel more like post game/career content. Tuning is back in a way I have sorely missed but is severly underutilized/un-needed for progression as the cars you need are basically handed to you. Engine swaps are very welcome and provided some much needed enjoyment thanks to the exploit but now Im stuck waiting/hoping for a chance to "win" the engines I dont have, hidden behind a mechanic that seems to only serve as a way to suck enjoyment out of the game. Sure I can create just about any type of race that I want which is good, even get really creative and design a campaign but that just is not what I am looking for. To me it is like wanting to read a book but instead you are given a typewriter, some paper and a couple notes. The events that are available, many feel needlessly restrictive. I really miss building and entering cars in more unrestricted(maybe PP limited) races as you progress through your career. As it stands, I struggle to find a reason to turn the game on outside of content updates and really hope for a major update or even the next Forza to fill in what I am missing.

Last edited:
So you're saying this is a great thread, as people can inform others here that certain things already have improved :cheers:
Not at all, Sven; I thought my post was a fair contribution in the interests of balance.

You honestly expect people that are disappointed with the game to comb over the patch notes, which I didn't even know existed myself. I found them through Google. https://www.gran-turismo.com/us/gt7/news/00_3942234.html
In game all I ever got was a red dot on the map to steer you to new things. Never saw any detailed patch notes :/ I guess maybe it's accessible from the music rally screen? The UI is a bit of a mess...
I've been able to keep up with all the patch notes so far from this forum. Don't have the game yet.

Yes, I do expect people who're disappointed to keep an eye on the patch notes. How else are they supposed to know when things are fixed? Not every tweak gets a lot of attention here.

Besides, if someone's unhappy about various aspects of a game is it not in that person's best interests to monitor the "changelog"? The alternative is to complain and ignore the company's updates, which makes zero sense to me.

Cheers brother. :cheers:

Not at all, Sven; I thought my post was a fair contribution in the interests of balance.

I've been able to keep up with all the patch notes so far from this forum. Don't have the game yet.

Yes, I do expect people who're disappointed to keep an eye on the patch notes. How else are they supposed to know when things are fixed? Not every tweak gets a lot of attention here.

Besides, if someone's unhappy about various aspects of a game is it not in that person's best interests to monitor the "changelog"? The alternative is to complain and ignore the company's updates, which makes zero sense to me.

Cheers brother. :cheers:
I will keep an eye on it now I know there is a change log :lol: I just had never found it before.

As for complaining, GT Sport is giving me a hard time tonight. I've been trying to race for over an hour now. First I missed sign up by a few seconds cause of the effing daily workout car which you can't skip. Second time my fault, I thought I had signed up but forgot (stupid you have to wait until 15 minutes before the race before you can sign up). 3rd time I did remember to go back down 10 minutes before race start and signed up, yet when I got back to race it just showed an error and then missed the sign up window again :banghead:

So my complaints:

Why the 15 minute window to sign up, just let me sign up and be done with it.
Why does the game not auto retry to sign up when there's an issue while waiting. Does it honestly expect me to stare at the countdown for 15 minutes to make sure nothing happens... Is it so happy to report an error that it waits for me to see it and click ok...

That's for GT Sport, GT7 has it's own niggles. Why doesn't it auto apply the right tires for a race like GT Sport does. You have to go into settings to change the tires which has cost me to lose out on the race while swapping tires.

Why does PD not have a QA department...

No luck, still getting random network errors trying to sign up for a race. My internet is the same as yesterday (actually even better today) everything else works, but not matchmaking. PD is such a frustrating company, worst netcode I've seen that never seems to improve.

Last edited:
My opinion hasnt changed much. Hard to quantify if it is THE worse as you can't really just replay the older titles to compare as each had their own pros/cons for their time but 7 is by far the most frustratingly disapointing entry I can remember.
I was more frustrated with GT6 and GT Sport.

I was more frustrated with GT6 and GT Sport.

6 was certainly a letdown for me as well. Sport, while not what I wanted, was pretty clear on what it was going to be so it gets a pass. Though I was pretty vocal in my disdain at the time, lol. Both, along with some features from 5, really amplify the issues I have with 7. Sure, it's not reasonable to expect everything to carry up from game to game but damn, some follow through and refinement of the good or interesting features would go a long way. Instead it seems pd is pretty content to toss it all and wash their hands of all but the very basics of the franchise but this time, even less of a campaign.

How you going to add a 8 million credit F1 car to the game and give the player exactly 0 races to use it in. It is baffling. Even GT3/GT4 had F1 races and obviously that was at launch. How can they be this dense?
The nascar races/vehicles in GT5 were pretty enjoyable
That being said, the new updated races for GR1 and VGT vehicles was a nice update

I’m going to be a broken record about this PS5 console. For a solo player, on PS5, it’s one of the best. Not thee best, if we want to compare cars & tracks. Not thee best in rate of earnings. Not thee best in terms of common knowledge issues, but damn, the sounds and what can be created by the user, it is more of a buy your Hot Wheels cars and sets and use your imagination.

Back