Is GT7 fast becoming the worst of the GT Series?

• Thread starter Tuono_GT
  • 882 comments
I almost diden't play GT7 anymore before I got my PSVR2. Now I play everyday. Still after months of using I often gets a big grin on my face when using a new car or track combination.

Its expensive yes, but for people who can afford it and want to experience the game on a whole other level its definetly worth it in my opinion.

So... To make GT7 playable, you need a peripheral more expensive than the console it's designed to run on?

I don't remember having that problem with Metropolis Street Racer, Gran Turismo 1-4, Project Gotham Racing 4, Forza Motorsport 1-4, F1 2010-13, Colin McRae 1-4, Dirt 5, Toca Touring car 1&2, Need for speed Underground 2, Need for Speed 1-4...
I played some of those races before but as I got older I stopped playing video games in general.

Our house got a ps5 for Christmas for my son and I got GT7. I almost didn’t because of the bad reviews but I’m glad I did. Does it have flaws? Sure it does. But is it a streaming turd pile as well? I would say no.

At least I hope that remains so. This is the first time that I ended up investing in buying a wheel and cockpit set up for one game (my prior wheel would not work with ps5). I spent as much as the PS5 for one game. Later this month I’m hoping to get a direct drive wheel for a better experience. I’m even considering the PSVR2 but, for now, I’m concerned about if my head can cope with it.

Would I like GT7 to be better. Yes. There are many unrealized potentials that have been discussed many times but I am satisfied enough to be happy with my additional purchases to improve my game experience.

I played some of those races before but as I got older I stopped playing video games in general.

Our house got a ps5 for Christmas for my son and I got GT7. I almost didn’t because of the bad reviews but I’m glad I did. Does it have flaws? Sure it does. But is it a streaming turd pile as well? I would say no.

At least I hope that remains so. This is the first time that I ended up investing in buying a wheel and cockpit set up for one game (my prior wheel would not work with ps5). I spent as much as the PS5 for one game. Later this month I’m hoping to get a direct drive wheel for a better experience. I’m even considering the PSVR2 but, for now, I’m concerned about if my head can cope with it.

Would I like GT7 to be better. Yes. There are many unrealized potentials that have been discussed many times but I am satisfied enough to be happy with my additional purchases to improve my game experience.
I am glad you like the game, your enjoyment is a very nice thing to hear. However, I'm sorry to say that I can't and won't share it. When a game released 19 years ago has more championships, missions, cars, license tests, replay value and no FOMO/micro transactions; the system is truly broken.

Live service RUINED this franchise. Accepting drip fed content which should have been in the game at launch is why the game is in the sorry state it is in.

Last edited:
I am glad you like the game, your enjoyment is a very nice thing to hear. However, I'm sorry to say that I can't and won't share it. When a game released 19 years ago has more championships, missions, cars, license tests, replay value and no FOMO/micro transactions; the system is truly broken.

Live service RUINED this franchise. Accepting drip fed content which should have been in the game at launch is why the game is in the sorry state it is in.

While i can agree about the career mode, cars is understandable the hard work that goes into each car, every car has been remade from scratch since gt sport arrived, and the amount of detail in each car is quite amazing but it takes it time, back in gt4 days i didin’t took long to create cars,

I didin’t see people complain about gt3 car roaster, they had a lot less cars than gt7 gt3 had about only 50% as many cars as gt7

The problem is not either the cars or tracks, its this dripfeed with events or other releted career mode stuff

Last edited:
Don’t think I’ve ever seen what you describe here.

What I’ve seen a ton of is people who really like GT7 in VR encouraging others to at least consider it or give it a try given the opportunity.

I know it’s a hard sell, both monetarily and as a concept.

If you have never used VR it’s really hard to wrap your head around what it adds to the experience.

Keep an open mind.

(I realize you might not even read this since I might be on your ignore it given I’m pretty vocal about how much I like GT7 in VR)
I never really intended to purchase the PSVR2, initially. I've been playing Gran Turismo since 2, but after GT6, I was honestly finished with the franchise and sim racing in general. I was bored of the experience playing with a controller. I decided that if I ever was going to get back into it, I was going to spend the money for a proper wheel and rig set up.

At the time, I wasn't really in a place financially to justify the expense of a high quality DD wheel with a chassis and seat when GTSport was released so I didn't really play it much (I did buy the game when it was on sale, but didn't do much with it).

GT7 comes around and I'm at a place that I can invest the money and time into the experience again. Like I said initially, I wasn't intending to purchase the PSVR2 when I started. I already knew I'd be spending a ton of money on the other hardware and the thought of spending even more felt unattractive to me. But work was good, I was having a lot more money coming in at the time and after reading that the full game will be supported (not the limited use GTSport did with the PSVR), I said "Treat yo' self!" Why not?

My justification for the cost is that it's cheaper than motor racing in real life. Something I'd like to do, but I don't have garage space for a race car. I also rarely have time to make it to a track day. Sim racing seems to be a good way to scratch my itch.

As it turns out, I quite enjoy GT7 with the PSVR2 and actually have to use the PSVR2 to reliably play GT7. There is some issue with the HDMI connection between my TV and PS5 that my wheel doesn't like and won't connect. Don't bother asking why, I don't know why at a technical level. All I know is that if I unplug the HDMI cable the wheel never disconnects. I don't suffer from any sort of motion sickness or nausea, I only have 1-2 hours a day to play and it isn't inconvenient to put back in the box after I use it and out of the way.

So anyone saying GT7 is the worst yet, yeah, maybe ... The genre is boring if you're looking for the same experience you had playing whatever your first Gran Turismo was. The things that a new Gran Turismo would need to make you want to play the game again, let's be real, probably aren't going to ever come. And you're not wrong for abandoning the series, why pay for something you know you aren't going to enjoy?

But for others in here to suggest that PSVR2 somehow doesn't change the experience of racing sims in a positive way is just ignorant. You are justified in whatever reasoning you have for not getting a PSVR2, be it money or time or not enjoying the game. It may be a bargain but it still costs money. Any type of gaming you do is going to take up your time and if you're not having fun, please, by all means, do something else you enjoy.

Story over, I expect I changed nobody's mind. I hope you all are enjoying your day. :cheers:

Fora PS4 Pro user this thread looks like:

"Game bad until you buy psvr2 and Ps5, just spend $1000+ to enjoy this gacha game".
gross misrepresentation of what people are actually saying.

Why does mentioning VR always bring out the worst in people?

What I’m seeing is level headed comments from people who own VR trying to explain the benefits and how it changed their perception of the game to others and people who fuel their ignorance with hyperbole.

It’s draining. Given we all share the same passion (GT) and we are all a bit older I feel like the discussion should be on a higher level.

Keep in mind that people talking up VR have NOTHING to gain from it. We don’t get a kick back from Sony or something.

We do it because it was transformative for us and we want others to have the same experience.

It comes from a positive place which admittedly this very thread is probably the wrong echo chamber for..

It’s draining. Given we all share the same passion (GT) and we are all a bit older I feel like the discussion should be on a higher level.

Keep in mind that people talking up VR have NOTHING to gain from it. We don’t get a kick back from Sony or something.

We do it because it was transformative for us and we want others to have the same experience.
it is worth considering that $800 or whatever for some person may be a transformative gaming experience…. But to literally most of the world, that’s an amount of money that had real-life implications.

I think instead of seeing people as haters, I’d consider it’s more like eye-rolling at someone’s level of privilege. I am not saying you don’t have a hard life or don’t deserve the tech. just saying I live in a country where The extra cash could be the difference in someone getting a meaningful operation or not.

Last edited:
it is worth considering that $800 or whatever for some person may be a transformative gaming experience…. But to literally most of the world, that’s an amount of money that had real-life implications.

I think instead of seeing people as haters, I’d consider it’s more like eye-rolling at someone’s level of privilege. I am not saying you don’t have a hard life or don’t deserve the tech. just saying I live in a country where The extra cash could be the difference in someone getting a meaningful operation or not.

I’ve got no dog in the fight either way, but the whole “let’s take the conversation higher!” Part sort of jarred me. There are so many valid reasons to criticize the idea that this game is “built for VR”, beyond the cost. For me personally, I actually really like my home and my life, and I can’t imagine the idea of spending several hours totally blocking my senses from it.
Valid argument and one I have acknowledged before.

However there is a huge difference between “unfortunately PSVR2 is out of reach for me right now” and "Game bad until you buy psvr2 and Ps5, just spend $1000+ to enjoy this gacha game".

Last edited:
Driving a car in gt7 is really immersive in psvr2 i have not played With a lot of vr, but its so fun,
Got feeling you are in the car, and you can look and see so much more than you can from flatscreen, i didin’t even like cockpit that much until i tried vr, and seing those detailed interiors and cars is mindblowing, there is even other games thats fun in vr like resident evil village and soon maybe resident evil 4 remake,

Valid argument and one I have acknowledged before.

However there is a huge difference between “unfortunately PSVR2 is out of reach for me right now” and "Game bad until you buy psvr2 and Ps5, just spend $1000+ to enjoy this gacha game".

Your other argument, the weird one about enjoying your life and your home and therefore not wanting to try VR comes from a place of ignorance and is completely ridiculous tbh.
I won’t edit it but I absolutely shouldn’t have chosen my words that way. I guess I should’ve said - the element of needing to take the headset off / be disconnected from the things around me is a valid criticism. The tech can enhance the game, sure, but not necessarily enhance my personal experience.

Anyway I didn’t meant to say that pointedly!

I won’t edit it but I absolutely shouldn’t have chosen my words that way. I guess I should’ve said - the element of needing to take the headset off / be disconnected from the things around me is a valid criticism. The tech can enhance the game, sure, but not necessarily enhance my personal experience.

Anyway I didn’t meant to say that pointedly!
Gotcha. I’m gonna edit my post though because I hate my tone in it - especially after asking for better discourse from my high horse ;)

The problem with the mention of VR transforming the game is that it has a very 1% of players boost.

VR does not address the absence of career, it does not address the unreasonable car costs, it does not address the issues with online lobbies, it does not address the FOMO manipulation, it does not address the gacha, it does not address the drip feeding of content which is withheld for little clear reason; and it does not address the absence of any form of engagement from the developers.

For me, GT7 is the worst because there is so much which should work. The driving mechanics are great, the graphical fidelity is amazing... But, there is too little to do. One big patch bringing back the solo championships, upping the race payouts and allowing an offline save could salvage the game. They've had eighteen months to add this, they haven't. I'm not holding my breath it will change, so until then, it remains the biggest disappointment in decades.

Last edited:
@sswishbone exactly this. Why would I want to buy PS5 and psvr2 if there are those glaring issues and PD has its own vision (very weird vision in my opinion) and they are slow with changes. Even if they started listening and adding those features I would still hesitate to spend more than 1000 dollars(PS5 and VR) to just have a possibility to play in one game in some other way than most of the players (I don't play in other games on Play Station, lately I have been playing in Diablo 4 on PC).

I am curious how many content creators that promoted psvr2 still uses it. I didn't see too many videos or streams with vr lately.

Also isn't it a bit weird that PD together with Kaz are very focused on Sport Mode (I have 0 online races so it isn't even in my interest) but at the same time until last patch there was no incentive for getting better and there are still very low rewards like 50.000 credits or less for winning top split A/S 20 minutes race.

Also isn't it a bit weird that PD together with Kaz are very focused on Sport Mode (I have 0 online races so it isn't even in my interest) but at the same time until last patch there was no incentive for getting better and there are still very low rewards like 50.000 credits or less for winning top split A/S 20 minutes race.
I believe once Kaz was more publicly doing motor racing in real life and also the addition of GT Academy, it was apparent where the trajectory of Gran Turismo was headed. The online competition is the incentive. I'd venture to assert that most professional and amateur drivers compete for the sake of competition.

Unfortunately that realism (if you want to call it that) that's translated into the game is, by it's very nature of how most games and gamers are conditioned to maximize their score (in this case, credits/cars acquired), are at odds with each other.

While it should be possible to have both a rewarding online multiplayer and offline single player experience, in practice some developers just get too focused on one side over another. And with publisher pressure, sometimes release dates are more heavily emphasized in the development process. A detriment to the consumer, for sure, but people keep spending the money.

Maybe we're the problem?

No, the players are never the problem. Players do not develop the game
Some nuance here, I'm not suggesting that it's our responsibility as players to help develop the game, especially post release. But as consumers we bear some responsibility, and that's a collective "we" ... if we'd stop buying their crap, they'd stop making it.

But here we are ...

Some nuance here, I'm not suggesting that it's our responsibility as players to help develop the game, especially post release. But as consumers we bear some responsibility, and that's a collective "we" ... if we'd stop buying their crap, they'd stop making it.

But here we are ...
Well if the showcase had not said "Gran Turismo is back", and had they not given reviewers copies of the game WITHOUT microtransactions, most may have decided it was crap and not bought it.

PD lied to the audience and haven't fixed the game, that's on them, not the players

Last edited:
Well if the showcase had not said "Gran Turismo is back", and had they not given reviewers copies of the game WITHOUT microtransactions, most may have decided it was crap and not bought it.

PD lied to the audience and haven't fixed the game, that's on them, not the players
So who's the sucker here? Not meant to be inflammatory. And again, not suggesting the player is to blame. Because you can both be a consumer and a player, and there can also be consumers who aren't players.

This isn't the first time a developer in the industry has lied and paid for good press to entice people to buy their product. By now if someone is still buying the pre-order, special edition, season pass or whatever before honest reviews and gameplay video are posted, and they're upset that the product is unsatisfactory, it's on them.

I bought GT7 on sale a year after it was released. I knew what I was getting into and I'm not disappointed.

So who's the sucker here? Not meant to be inflammatory. And again, not suggesting the player is to blame. Because you can both be a consumer and a player, and there can also be consumers who aren't players.

This isn't the first time a developer in the industry has lied and paid for good press to entice people to buy their product. By now if someone is still buying the pre-order, special edition, season pass or whatever before honest reviews and gameplay video are posted, and they're upset that the product is unsatisfactory, it's on them.

I bought GT7 on sale a year after it was released. I knew what I was getting into and I'm not disappointed.
Unless you advocate that players should never check out trailers or reviews, I'm not sure how you can label anyone a "sucker". It's also a little unreasonable to indirectly blame players for not possessing such paranoia.

Plus, how do you define "honest review"? The reviewers were given a version of the game without any predatory features. They honestly reviewed what they played. The dishonesty lies with the developer, you have no reason to deflect blame on to the players or reviews here.

Unless you advocate that players should never check out trailers or reviews, I'm not sure how you can label anyone a "sucker". It's also a little unreasonable to indirectly blame players for not possessing such paranoia.

Plus, how do you define "honest review"? The reviewers were given a version of the game without any predatory features. They honestly reviewed what they played. The dishonesty lies with the developer, you have no reason to deflect blame on to the players or reviews here.
I'm going to humbly bow out of any further discussions on this topic. I have better things to do and I honestly don't care anymore.

I'm satisfied with my purchase. That is all. Good luck and best to you in your future endeavors.

Cheers. :cheers:

Back